Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I just got home from my silver 4v4 game. We got killed by an over 40 gold team. Kinda amazing how fundamentals will expose your worst players, even when the energy difference is high. Was still so much more fun than playing chippy bullshit bronze where we won 5 out of the last 6 championships.

The game started over an hour late because the glass cracked on a sprint to beat an icing call that ended up with a dude putting his skate through the bottom corner of the glass. I dunno how it happened but in the 4v4 rink there isn't much room between the goal line an end boards. I guess they got tied up pretty good and one guy got bodied.

Also amazing that the biggest skill difference at my rink is between gold and elite. The ex college and pro players just play on another level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Headed off to Weekend Warrior hockey camp in Tahoe today. 9 teammates and I rented a house up there through Sunday and we've got a pony keg. 12 hours of ice time and we get a couple video review sessions of how terrible we all are. Should be a blast.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

D C posted:

I actually like 7/16 on hard ice, and a shallower cut on soft ice, when the ice is soft a shallower hollow will dig in fine. With a deep edge on soft ice I feel like it gets bogged down.

Ya that's what I said. ;)

For me, 3/8" is kind of optimal on good ice. I learned pretty quick that it sucks on soft ice though so I get them done at 7/16" mostly around here in the land of lovely ice.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

D C posted:

I don't remember what the Zetterberg curve looks like, but the Burrows curve is barely open, maybe the slightest bit, its a really calm curve.

Kovalev/Kopitar or bust!

Bought this beauty last week to use for roller, gonna go back and buy the other one they had left later this week I think.

I loved my Johnson, and then snapped it on a one timer a few weeks ago. RIP Johnson Draper 85 flex 2010-2013.

Now I'm playing with an old two piece Johnson that I broke far enough away from the kickpoint I thought it would be ok to patch it. I call it "the John"

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Goddamn my lovely hands tonight. Had two amazing chances to get a goal tonight and hosed them both up.

One of them was a great centering pass from behind the net that I was wide open with an empty net to boot and it just handcuffed me to the point I couldn't get anything on it.

Other one was a forecheck against the other goalie who basically passed it off the boards onto my stick and I stupidly didn't shoot it immediately into the net.

Of course we then lost the game 2-0. :ughh:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Any other NC hockey goons (all both of you, I know) planning to play in the State Games at the end of June? Apparently I will be there.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Tonight during practice the coach called me aside and asked if I've been working on stickhandling off the ice because he has seen a huge improvement. I haven't but it was really cool to hear that, even if he was lying :3:

We have a game on Memorial Day and my parents are coming up to watch...will be their first time seeing me play ice hockey. I'm 40

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Flyinglemur posted:

We have a game on Memorial Day and my parents are coming up to watch...will be their first time seeing me play ice hockey. I'm 40

:3: Just please tell them not to yell at the ref because a middle aged man's elderly parents screaming at me from the bleachers was pretty loving surreal the one time it happened....

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Flyinglemur posted:

Tonight during practice the coach called me aside and asked if I've been working on stickhandling off the ice because he has seen a huge improvement. I haven't but it was really cool to hear that, even if he was lying :3:

That's awesome about improving that fast!
If your parents are anything like mine, at their first game (I was 29), get ready to hear a lot of "CENTER IT!" and "HUSTLE!" from the stands.

Topoisomerase posted:

:3: Just please tell them not to yell at the ref because a middle aged man's elderly parents screaming at me from the bleachers was pretty loving surreal the one time it happened....

Annnnnnd my middle-aged father also yelled at the ref but had no idea why he was yelling. Oh dad...

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
My mom came to all my games when I was a kid. She didn't yell at the refs though. She yelled at me instead. :sigh:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Topoisomerase posted:

My mom came to all my games when I was a kid. She didn't yell at the refs though. She yelled at me instead. :sigh:

My mom is a yeller, she also used to play, and used to ref, she would yell at me, and the refs. It was painful.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

You have no idea how much I'm looking forward to attending my kids' games and starting fist fights with other hockey parents over whether or not each kid got the correct amount of ice time to within :30.

To any litigators reading this at some indeterminate point in the future: this is a joke and does not condone or express fighting in hockey. void where prohibited. Offer not valid in Hawaii, Florida, or any city in Canada with a Tim Horton's

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 18, 2013

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

I Love The Colorado Avalanche More Than I Love Landeskog's Balls In My Mouth
AND I LOVE LANDESKOG'S BALLS IN MY MOUTH A WHOLE LOT
PS Sakic > Yzerman

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Any other NC hockey goons (all both of you, I know) planning to play in the State Games at the end of June? Apparently I will be there.

The games being put on by the NCAS? I wont be playing but if I'm not mistaken they're going to be played at XI here in Charlotte. I may go down there and watch at least.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I feel...guilty. I finally got the opportunity to try out my skates last night, and I didnt experience the usual pain of breaking in a pair of skates. Not one bit. I actually think these skates may be a tad too big but nothing drastic; they feel great, otherwise.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

loving bro hug posted:

The games being put on by the NCAS? I wont be playing but if I'm not mistaken they're going to be played at XI here in Charlotte. I may go down there and watch at least.

Yeah, those would be the ones. And you're right, they will be at XI. My team is expecting we'll probably get blown out in every game, but we're just in it to have fun and drink beer anyway, so.

There's also a couple of tourneys up my way in Wake Forest this summer. One of them is an Ironman tournament.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Also forgot to mention this earlier but 5/8 is definitely not what I like. Felt like the skates were gonna come out from under me. I got them at 1/2 (for free!) and hopefully that works out better.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Topoisomerase posted:

My parents never yelled at the refs, they just kind of made weird hooting noises throughout the game. Sometimes they yelled "Go *team jersey color*!" even though they knew what the team was called. Parents :rolleyes:

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
In high school I played tennis. There's...there's not much yelling at high school tennis meets.

Also, my parents are pretty low key anyway. My old man can watch a sporting event on TV and not make one statement other than "GAL darnit" a bunch because he's a Browns fan.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Had my first league game ever.

We won 1-0 and I was on the ice for the goal. :3:
It's our goalies first season too and he had a 35 save shutout. Unreal dude and cool as heck.

Only thing that bothered me was getting into the right positioning and stapling myself to the defender on the point when they're in the zone. I wanted so hard to cover the incoming winger to overcompensate for the defenseman on the post.
Also keeping 2 hands on the stick more. Guess that'll come with playing more.

I was thrown out both times on the PK because I'm "small and quick and have good pressuring". uhhhh

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Note to self. Remember to check for insoles in my skates at the beginning of the season. Went to play inline drop in last night and realized my insoles were in my ice skates. I wore 2 pairs of socks and just felt uncomfortable all night.

My hands somehow got much better in the time away though. Not sure how that happened.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
My mom used to sit in the corner of the stands by herself with a science magazine and read it except when she noticed I was playing, away from all the other parents. Sometimes she'd just leave and then come back when the game was over.

My dad would do the same, but minus the science magazine. Of course, in girl's hockey there wasn't as much yelling at the refs, because all the parents already knew that the 16 year old on the ice wasn't going to make the difference as to whether or not their child is going to the NHL or not.

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006
I have never paid any attention to the specifics of skate sharpening. Does it make a huge difference or do you have to be an amazing hockey player/skater to notice it?

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Not that I know of. I might also be up North that week on vacation.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

HookShot posted:

My dad would do the same, but minus the science magazine. Of course, in girl's hockey there wasn't as much yelling at the refs, because all the parents already knew that the 16 year old on the ice wasn't going to make the difference as to whether or not their child is going to the NHL or not.

I didn't play girls' hockey until I was 16 (played with boys up through bantams), but at our games there was PLENTY of parental yelling at refs, coaches, players, other fans etc. However, it was Tier I travel and most of us were wanting to play in college so there WAS something more to it...

My mom mostly yelled (at me) because I was unable to put the 'checking brakes' on during girls games after spending 4 years in checking hockey so I got a lot of PIM my first year or so of girls hockey.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 19, 2013

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Topoisomerase posted:

I didn't play girls' hockey until I was 16 (played with boys up through bantams), but at our games there was PLENTY of parental yelling at refs, coaches, players, other fans etc. However, it was Tier I travel and most of us were wanting to play in college so there WAS something more to it...

My mom mostly yelled (at me) because I was unable to put the 'checking brakes' on during girls games after spending 4 years in checking hockey so I got a lot of PIM my first year or so of girls hockey.

Wow, really? I played with the boys until I was thirteen, and then girls (everything between AA and C, since it was such a small group that at certain age levels there was no A team) and there was SOME yelling at refs sure, but NOTHING like when I played boys, and I only played C with the guys since it was when I was just getting started.

And we were kind of the same in terms of the future, I mean there was a girl on one of our teams, a few years before I got there, who was invited to the national team training camp so it's not like we were terrible or anything. But there just wasn't the same kind of yelling at all from parents.

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.

jettisonedstuff posted:

I have never paid any attention to the specifics of skate sharpening. Does it make a huge difference or do you have to be an amazing hockey player/skater to notice it?

http://home.comcast.net/~shshockeystats/hollowgrind.html

This site does a pretty thorough job at explaining hollows, I would paraphrase but :effort:

http://noicingsports.com/skate_sharpening_radius.html

This one has pictures! (and sales pitches!)

communist kangaroo fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 19, 2013

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

It's all preference but man I don't know how anyone could skate on something like 1'' after having tried 5/8'' and thinking that was too shallow.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I used to send skate blades to Noicing and they do a loving incredible job. If you don't mind the hassle of having two sets of steel and swapping and mailing all the time you will be amazed.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It gets expensive for just 2 sets of steel. Best bet is to go in with someone or have 6 sets of steel so you can send 5 at a time

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

HookShot posted:

Wow, really? I played with the boys until I was thirteen, and then girls (everything between AA and C, since it was such a small group that at certain age levels there was no A team) and there was SOME yelling at refs sure, but NOTHING like when I played boys, and I only played C with the guys since it was when I was just getting started.

And we were kind of the same in terms of the future, I mean there was a girl on one of our teams, a few years before I got there, who was invited to the national team training camp so it's not like we were terrible or anything. But there just wasn't the same kind of yelling at all from parents.

Well to be fair, I played for an org that had huge tryouts, went to Nationals every single year back then and has multiple alumni who have played on the women's national & Olympics teams - we were based in OH (though I am from western PA) and our closest real competition was against teams in MI, MN, NY and Ontario. Basically because girls' hockey was really just starting to catch on there were a lot of beginner level teams and not too many at the higher levels, so had to go kinda far to find a team to play on.

I swear some of the girls' parents were worse than the boys' parents were.

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

I Love The Colorado Avalanche More Than I Love Landeskog's Balls In My Mouth
AND I LOVE LANDESKOG'S BALLS IN MY MOUTH A WHOLE LOT
PS Sakic > Yzerman
The best jerseys

loving bro hug fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 20, 2013

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Oh my god

Recreations in Logic
Jan 17, 2001

loving bro hug posted:

The best jerseys

Those are incredible.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Had the weirdest game tonight in terms of reffing. One was a super spot-on ref. He called penalties fairly, and generally let the players decide the game. After the game, I asked him about a hooking call I took with 1:00 left in the 3rd ("I know I got my stick up, but I thought I had him below the hands - guess I didn't. What part made you make the call, and how do you think I could avoid the call next time?") and he was super cool about explaining why he made the call. Any "bad" calls he made (few) were either off set by letting us even it up by not calling an extra bump, or with the self-depricating "Oh man...I totally must have missed that. I'll try to get it next time." - I honestly love refs that let you know they think you're full of poo poo by just sort of agreeing with you about how bad they are. Idunno - it's weird. It seems like some refs just make the game flow better. It's hard to describe.

Contrast this with his partner, who was probably one of the worst refs I've seen. He either didn't know about or didn't grok the tag-up rule. We got screwed out of at least six or seven zone re-entries because he'd call offsides, we'd tag up, and he'd still have his hand up. After the first couple of times it really started to get kind of :psyduck: We had a couple of guys talk to him and the other ref, but nothing changed. Worse, he just kind of didn't talk to the players at all or really engage in the game whatsoever.

Sucks, too, because it was a close game and every play mattered.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
1) those jerseys own

Dangerllama posted:

Contrast this with his partner, who was probably one of the worst refs I've seen. He either didn't know about or didn't grok the tag-up rule. We got screwed out of at least six or seven zone re-entries because he'd call offsides, we'd tag up, and he'd still have his hand up. After the first couple of times it really started to get kind of :psyduck: We had a couple of guys talk to him and the other ref, but nothing changed. Worse, he just kind of didn't talk to the players at all or really engage in the game whatsoever.

Sucks, too, because it was a close game and every play mattered.

2) it's hard to get engaged in the game and talk to players when you're new (and dear god I hope that guy is new if he was loving up tag-up offsides) because you're concentrating so hard on trying to process what you're doing as well as what's going on in the game and where you need to be and what you need to be doing and stuff. I didn't start to get comfortable enough to really feel relaxed talking to players and remembering to actually have fun for at least a couple of months after I started.

At least they paired the bad/new guy with what sounds like an experienced and good partner. He'll learn!

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

The guy was probably 60. I don't think this was his first trip to the rodeo :(

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Had a player start the game, get burned for 2 goals, walk off the ice and leave the rink. Cool move bro.

Oh and the team that scored the two goals? They didn't have a goalie. So that's cool.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

sellouts posted:

Had a player start the game, get burned for 2 goals, walk off the ice and leave the rink. Cool move bro.

Oh and the team that scored the two goals? They didn't have a goalie. So that's cool.

Honestly? When one goalie shows up gently caress the hockey. It's going to be garbage anyway. If you're having a bad night I have no issue with you bailing in that situation.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Uh, he gave up two goals (because he stood still) to the goalie-less team. On one shift. Their goalie showed up in the 2nd. And they won.

Thats not a bad night. It's a bad shift. Not to mention gutting out the tough games and not leaving us short. We could have gotten a sub that wouldn't quit on the team.

So I guess we all should have just left because it wouldn't have been fun? C'mon. He needs to grow up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

sellouts posted:

Uh, he gave up two goals (because he stood still) to the goalie-less team. On one shift. Their goalie showed up in the 2nd. And they won.

Thats not a bad night. It's a bad shift. Not to mention gutting out the tough games and not leaving us short. We could have gotten a sub that wouldn't quit on the team.

So I guess we all should have just left because it wouldn't have been fun? C'mon. He needs to grow up.

MORE ICE TIME.

Either way, the dude sounds like a whiney bitch I wouldn't want to play with either. Better that he runs off in a fit than take it out on someone from the other team.