Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
There are some REALLY pretty polyclads, it'd be really neat to set up a species tank for them. If they weren't completely photophobic, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
It's really hard to gently caress up a general RO/DI unit build so pretty much most vendors are going to be fine, just go by pricing and availability. I personally use a unit from Water General/Filter Direct, the RD106 (which I've since modded with a membrane flush, dual position TDS meter, float switch/bucket, and a 150gpd membrane).

e:

In other water filtration related news, we got a water softener installed in the house this past week, so now I can stretch out my filter and DI resin replacements. Thank god.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Never heard of them, personally I have an air/water/ice unit, but there's always spectrapure etc. that are reasonably priced. But yeah, as api mentioned, they probably all get their parts from the same manufacturer, so.. yeah.

MKLKT
Oct 21, 2010

...armed with five-five-sixers, and pineapples.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Yeah, whatever happened with the chemistry or whatever killed them for sure. The other one is looking alright.

My previous plague of Planaria flatworms had a random mass die-off and it made my tank look like poo poo for months. I just waited it out, did a few water changes and it's finally recovering well to the point I want to add stuff again. I also had a return pump that slowly clogged up which caused what I believe to be a lack of oxygen as the tank just looked 'off'. I ended up switching to a DC pump and selling the old AC, but the water flow made a huge difference as the surface tension was preventing gas exchange. Perhaps that's something also to look at since you can't really test?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

MKLKT posted:

My previous plague of Planaria flatworms had a random mass die-off and it made my tank look like poo poo for months. I just waited it out, did a few water changes and it's finally recovering well to the point I want to add stuff again. I also had a return pump that slowly clogged up which caused what I believe to be a lack of oxygen as the tank just looked 'off'. I ended up switching to a DC pump and selling the old AC, but the water flow made a huge difference as the surface tension was preventing gas exchange. Perhaps that's something also to look at since you can't really test?

I thought about that but then the water is falling 2.5 feet down a drain into the sump so I don't think that would be an issue, it bubbles plenty in the sump. I'll adjust the return angle just in case though. But I'll be keeping up the water changes also. I also moved the power strip to another outlet in case the one behind the tank got wet when the return line popped off making it do funky electrical things.

Warsteiner
Jan 14, 2006

My tank.
The arch thing on the right with the newly placed gsp is something I made. Same with the moon shaped piece in the middle. I'm playing around and testing some basic shapes in my tank. I'm really excited to make more detailed sculptures so I really hope the marine life likes it and it is completely tank safe. My patience is being tested hardcore. I made these basic shapes a little over 6 weeks ago. The moon has been in my tank just over a week and the arch has been in for just 2 days. I really hope the gsp adheres to the arch unlike the piece of tile the gsp came on.
Small note: Working with the aqua safe glue was harder than I thought. It really..adheres. A warning on the package says "This product bonds eyes". Interesting.

Duncan (yesterday)

Today we can see all four heads :) I haven't really looked at what my options are for separating them if that's even possible. That's something for a bit later.

These are the things I probably killed at least 10 of. It was mentioned that it could be hundreds. Ten sounds better than hundreds.

What a fatty :3:

I'm not sure what the circular little one is ??

My Kenya tree. You can see one of my hermits stalking behind the tree. That is Mitts. He follows my movement whenever I'm around the tank. I don't know if he's curious or just really wanting some brine shrimp.

I'm having a bit of a problem with my frog spawn. It isn't really stretching out like it used to. I believe it's because the current is too strong in that spot. That's a total guess and it will be moved when I figure out where.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Since it's so hard to gently caress up RO water filters in general, it being so modular and inter-changeable, and everything being based around 1/4" fittings and parts, the only thing I'd point out as being really important for a reefing setup is getting a DI cartridge that's EASY to replace resin in. I have small-ish cartridges and working with the big foil BRS bags of resin with them is a pain in the butt, but I haven't been annoyed ENOUGH to just replace it with one of the full-sized cans.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

The circular one is a type of jellyfish, a hydroid. Not bad, the population will wax and wane as your tank gets older. Also, amphipods. They're cute little buggers.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I have a question for all you awesome DIY'ers in here. I'm currently contemplating setting up a LED light setup on my 55G freshwater Seaclear system II tank. I originally asked in the freshwater thread, but didn't get any replies. Do you have any preference for brands or general advice? There's a lot of research i'm reading through right now working out what i'll need, the best place to buy, what light wavelengths to run, etc etc. I would appreciate any advice you could give, right now i'm leaning towards ledgroupbuy.com but that's just based off a few reviews. Thanks!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Trilineatus posted:

I have a question for all you awesome DIY'ers in here. I'm currently contemplating setting up a LED light setup on my 55G freshwater Seaclear system II tank. I originally asked in the freshwater thread, but didn't get any replies. Do you have any preference for brands or general advice? There's a lot of research i'm reading through right now working out what i'll need, the best place to buy, what light wavelengths to run, etc etc. I would appreciate any advice you could give, right now i'm leaning towards ledgroupbuy.com but that's just based off a few reviews. Thanks!

If it's a planted tank, go with 10k (cool white) as any blue won't really promote growth and will be wasted light.

Go with aquastyleonline.com over ledgroupbuy to save some coin, and buy your heatsink from heatsinkusa.com as they'll make any size you want for cheap.

:science:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Eh, waste SOME light. Blues can enhance iridescence. So maybe a couple blue LEDs.

:pseudo:

Warsteiner
Jan 14, 2006

Yes. This place is my absolute favourite to read and post in. It is confusing to read other forums because the advice is so diverse from post to post. It's to the point of me just being more confused. I'm really reluctant to kill anything and this place calms my fears about the things I do not know of.
Thanks to everyone who posts here!

Ahhh a hydroid. Jellyfish. Yay! That's exciting. Googling the name helped me find the name of another string thing I have spotted here and there more recently. A couple weeks ago I thought they were snail eggs or something haha.
I don't think I have any predators in my tank except one of my hermits who literally attacks/investigates everything with his little pinchers :3:(I will never remove the little hell raising bastard!!) so I'm sort of expecting the population to increase. Right now I'm just going to trust the process of the cycle and see what happens.

One of my digitate hydroids.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
One of the coolest hitchhiker things is a (pseudo)corynactis anemone. They tend to stay out of the light and don't get larger than about a nickel or so.

GIS them, they're real pretty.

e: you know what, here

Warsteiner
Jan 14, 2006

Oh that is just awesome.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

I wouldn't bother with a skimmer for a tank that size. Just do regular water changes.

This is what I get for posting before the sun comes up.

My fiance has that top off and it is amazing. I pushed her towards it for her nano tank. My reasoning was that it was very accurate, does not siphon, and has a built-in cut off that stops it from pumping water after like a minute or so. On my 90g tank with 40g sump I bought a cheap auto-top off because honestly, it's no big deal if 4-5g of freshwater get added to the tank. It's not great, but it's not like it will flood the house and wipe out the tank. On my fiance's 9g? If the 3g reservoir she uses dumps into the tank, not only will it most likely kill everything, that's 3g of water on the kitchen counter.

[Edit: It's very accurate, very quiet, and great quality. My only comment is that if you drain all the water from it by removing it from water and turning it upside-down, it can take a minute of pumping before it gets all of the air bubbles out.]

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...
Was scared that my desk would not hold the weight so I am putting it on my dresser until I know for sure. I was able to sit on the place I would put it for a solid 5 minutes and I weigh 180lbs, think this would be too heavy for my desk? The tank is 7.5gal for the record.

Seeding! Light is just for photo, waiting on my sexy ecoxotic LEDs.

Will be adding base rock tomorrow.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Saltwater is between 8-9 pounds per gallon, that tank will weigh no more than 60-ish pounds. My office tank is approximately that size, but then it's sitting on top of cubicle steel.

What I'm saying is, your average desk should be fine with it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 19, 2013

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...
Awesome. I'll move it back onto my desk where it rightfully belongs.

MKLKT
Oct 21, 2010

Went to the aquarium shop for the first time in months!

Picked up:
- Red brittle star
- Tuxedo urchin
- Peppermint shrimp
- Baby Foxface (~2" max)
- Metallic green plate coral

They were mostly to replace ones I used to own in my old tank and missed having them.

This is my first plate coral, it's way more inflated at home than it was at the store, it snagged the cleaner shrimp when I added it and I had to assist it from getting caught.

Silver conch, I love the proboscis and eyes, they always look silly.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Keep an eye on that Foxface. One of those sumbitches wrecked shop on my 100 gallon reef back in the day. I was told they were reef safe so I added him but he went to town on various corals and really did quite a bit of damage.

SlaveTrader
Jan 12, 2003

*sigh* Those were the days...
Same here with the added bonus that my Foxface was REALLY aggressive and nipped at every other fish in my tank. Was a complete bitch to get him out, too.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Tank is back in the swing of things, finally. The last things I did were: more water changes, and switched wall outlets. Who knows what the deal was.

Anyway, lost my other clam. So no more clams, probably won't get any more for a while, one acan head is skeleton, one arm of the slimer is dead, but that may be an aiptasia that I never noticed that I will kill tonight. The baby hammer is still semi angry, but the rest of the euphyllia are happy again.

Slimer even has some of it's color back already, whew. Glad that poo poo is over.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

SaNChEzZ posted:

Tank is back in the swing of things, finally. The last things I did were: more water changes, and switched wall outlets. Who knows what the deal was.

Anyway, lost my other clam. So no more clams, probably won't get any more for a while, one acan head is skeleton, one arm of the slimer is dead, but that may be an aiptasia that I never noticed that I will kill tonight. The baby hammer is still semi angry, but the rest of the euphyllia are happy again.

Slimer even has some of it's color back already, whew. Glad that poo poo is over.

Congrats, guess who decided not to get a clam :)

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Henchman 21 posted:

Congrats, guess who decided not to get a clam :)

They're sensitive, but if things are right they're easy.

Also, I just killed aformentioned aptasias and proceeded to turn on the pumps blowing aiptasia x all over the place. Poor tank.

MKLKT
Oct 21, 2010

visuvius posted:

Keep an eye on that Foxface. One of those sumbitches wrecked shop on my 100 gallon reef back in the day. I was told they were reef safe so I added him but he went to town on various corals and really did quite a bit of damage.

Thanks, I had a mature one for over a year in my other tank so I'm aware of their personalities and corals that get nipped at. This one is definitely low on the pecking order at least for now, hasn't come out much yet.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3

SaNChEzZ posted:

They're sensitive, but if things are right they're easy.

Also, I just killed aformentioned aptasias and proceeded to turn on the pumps blowing aiptasia x all over the place. Poor tank.

If it makes you feel any better I've had random sps frags just decide WELP TIME TO RTN FOR NO REASON and I end up with a 1/2" piece of them saved if I'm lucky enough to spot them before they're completely white. Chemistry is pretty good AFAIK but who knows *flips table*

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Melchior posted:

If it makes you feel any better I've had random sps frags just decide WELP TIME TO RTN FOR NO REASON and I end up with a 1/2" piece of them saved if I'm lucky enough to spot them before they're completely white. Chemistry is pretty good AFAIK but who knows *flips table*

Yeah I haven't had that happen yet. I did have a green birdsnest totally get choked out by GHA when I first started, but I haven't seen that stuff in years thank the fish gods.

Zoas always melt, always have so I've given up on those. LPS have always been good, as well as most other softies.

This last thing was actually the first major problem I've had with the tank in it's 4 years and 2 moves. I'm doing alright by that account.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
gently caress you aiptasia!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Henchman 21 posted:

gently caress you aiptasia!

That's rad, I'd be worried about fish swimming through it though haha.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

SaNChEzZ posted:

That's rad, I'd be worried about fish swimming through it though haha.

I was at first but they all avoid the gently caress out of it

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I'm moving next month and I've been not so subtly dropping hints to the wife that I want to upgrade my tank. Its horrible because I haven't even had the Cadlights 50 cube for a year and I've outgrown the hell out of it. I need something bigger.

Every property we looked at, one of the first things I would look at was where I'd put a tank. The place we settled on is awesome except it doesn't really have a great spot for a setup so that is kind of a bummer.

None of this poo poo is mine BTW I took this picture during the inspection. Anyhow, I'm thinking I'll put a tank in that nook to the right of the fireplace. The only real spots are either of the nooks next to the fireplace. The dining area which is across from the kitchen is big and empty except its right under a huge window and I'm worried the tank would get way too much natural light there.

Anyhow, I think this is the tank I want:

The one in the pic is 18" deep and I'm going to go with 24". I'm not going to get maximum viewing by placing it in that nook but I really dig the L-shaped layout. Thoughts? Should I just stick with a 48x24x20 rimless rectangle?

This is what I REALLY want but I'm not a fan of acrylic and they look slightly terrifying stability wise.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

visuvius posted:

I'm moving next month and I've been not so subtly dropping hints to the wife that I want to upgrade my tank. Its horrible because I haven't even had the Cadlights 50 cube for a year and I've outgrown the hell out of it. I need something bigger.

Every property we looked at, one of the first things I would look at was where I'd put a tank. The place we settled on is awesome except it doesn't really have a great spot for a setup so that is kind of a bummer.

None of this poo poo is mine BTW I took this picture during the inspection. Anyhow, I'm thinking I'll put a tank in that nook to the right of the fireplace. The only real spots are either of the nooks next to the fireplace. The dining area which is across from the kitchen is big and empty except its right under a huge window and I'm worried the tank would get way too much natural light there.

Anyhow, I think this is the tank I want:

The one in the pic is 18" deep and I'm going to go with 24". I'm not going to get maximum viewing by placing it in that nook but I really dig the L-shaped layout. Thoughts? Should I just stick with a 48x24x20 rimless rectangle?

This is what I REALLY want but I'm not a fan of acrylic and they look slightly terrifying stability wise.

FWIW I love my acrylic. I also like the L tank, very cool.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
Have you ever had trouble cleaning coralline algae and scratching on your acrylic tank?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dono posted:

Have you ever had trouble cleaning coralline algae and scratching on your acrylic tank?

My only gripe with acrylic is sand getting between the cleaning pad and the tank. It makes me nervous every time I clean.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I just use either a credit card or the Kent plastic scraper blade.

It's far more annoying than keeping a glass tank clean, though.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Aside from the stability issue with the L-shaped tank, the scratching problem is my main concern. I used to have a 20 gallon acrylic tank back in the day and had a lot of issues with scratches near the sandbed.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Magic erasers are your friend with an acrylic tank. (with any tank really) and coralline comes right off scraping it with a credit card. Don't use mag floats that are meant for glass tanks.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Henchman 21 posted:

Magic erasers are your friend with an acrylic tank. (with any tank really) and coralline comes right off scraping it with a credit card. Don't use mag floats that are meant for glass tanks.

The credit card trick is key information, and I honestly hadn't considered that someone might not know that there are glass and acrylic magfloats, and that they are NOT cross-compatible. :stare:

By magic erasers, though, are you talking about those household cleaning pads? I always assumed they had some pretty toxic poo poo in them.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

MrYenko posted:

The credit card trick is key information, and I honestly hadn't considered that someone might not know that there are glass and acrylic magfloats, and that they are NOT cross-compatible. :stare:

By magic erasers, though, are you talking about those household cleaning pads? I always assumed they had some pretty toxic poo poo in them.

Magic erasers are just blocks of melamine foam which is basically super fine sandpaper. They have no adverse reaction with your fish tank, leach nothing into the water and will actually polish out micro scratches in acrylic.

I cant recommend them enough and think everyone should use them. But please get the regular ones without the added blue sponge and no added cleaners. You can also buy them in bulk on eBay for really cheap.

On a side note, one of my snails laid eggs today :3:

Henchman 21 fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Henchman 21 posted:

Magic erasers are just blocks of melamine foam which is basically super fine sandpaper. They have no adverse reaction with your fish tank, leach nothing into the water and will actually polish out micro scratches in acrylic.

I cant recommend them enough and think everyone should use them. But please get the regular ones without the added blue sponge and no added cleaners. You can also buy them in bulk on eBay for really cheap.

I did not know this. Thanks man! :cheers:

• Locked thread