Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
:dance:

Seems like we're now getting codex supplements that contain additional rules? Weird. But at least this would be a way of adding things to armies without needing a new codex. It's... sort of similar to what is going to happen with Fantasy, actually.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
Gonna have to buy the big walker thing, looks pretty cool (not sure about the flyer though).

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Gate posted:

What, do we need 17 more tank variants that look almost the same as the ones we have already instead or something? What's wrong with robots?

Nothing, I just don't like the direction things are going. I was disappointed in the Chaos release and haven't really been impressed since.

I'm not suggesting anything other than a personal preference here.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Walkers are totally fine for Eldar, they've been one of the defining things for the army for basically forever. Some of the earliest Eldar models were wraith-style walkers, and we had multiple walkers in the army before we had any tanks at all (Eldar Dreadnoughts and War Walkers predate any tank chasis, and even the Vyper I believe). So walkers are fine, and that dead-twin thing is even something lifted from earlier fluff about larger Eldar walker varieties.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's the one thing the game really lacks. Everyone gets one now, and a flyer.

My question is, are there plastic aspect warriors at all?

I refuse to go to bols or any rumor site because they've all turned into "6th sux! Everyone play warmachine!"

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

My question is, are there plastic aspect warriors at all?

Most likely no. What's currently expected in plastic:
- Farseer
- Wraithknight
- Wraithguards

Then there's some vague stuff about jetbikes (new? or just a repackaged) and even vaguer yet about a new tank.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
The head on the Wraithknight looks SUPER tiny.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
They had recut jetbikes on show at a Games Day years ago, and the DE bikes were built along the same lines, so we're probably getting new jetbikes (and maybe new Shining Spears to go with?).

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Mango Polo posted:

Most likely no. What's currently expected in plastic:
- Farseer
- Wraithknight
- Wraithguards

Then there's some vague stuff about jetbikes (new? or just a repackaged) and even vaguer yet about a new tank.

And the flyer. The Wraithknight looks pretty cool, although the legs are a disproportionately large. Not as bad as the Dreadknight, of course. I want to see the plastic Wraithguard pls

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
The 'new' jetbikes were shown before the 4th ed army book I think, so they could have been ditched ages ago.

And good news, the Mechanicum are getting a proper army list in the next Horus Heresy book. Some bad rear end Castellax class robots were shown at the Forgeworld weekend along with other stuff.

So even more walkers.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Phyresis posted:

And the flyer. The Wraithknight looks pretty cool, although the legs are a disproportionately large. Not as bad as the Dreadknight, of course. I want to see the plastic Wraithguard pls

Right, the flyer.

The reason I put jetbikes as a bit vague is because Hastings just said "jetbikes" as an afterthought, Best_Pone talked about everything except the jetbikes and now there are Chinese rumors that the new bikes are just a repackage of 3, like the Crisis Suits.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
It's a shame they showed off the new Wraith-thing in red and white, not blue and yellow. On the other hand I'm now very tempted to try and learn how to paint yellow because that looks quite cool, and the Wraithseer is a model I've drooled over for ages.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
Oh man. Oh man. Oh man. Oh man.

Still holding out for jetbikes.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Codex supplements seems to imply that it offers additional rules not found in the codex. This could be a great thing or a kinda bad thing.

It opens the door for books like Iron Warriors, Tau alien allies or whatever the community has been wanting (genestealer cult!). But hopefully the full $50 codex will still feel like a full codex and not just be like Codex:Dark Angels with no ravenwing/deathwing, or Codex:Grey Knights without Inquisitor Coteaz and Henchmen.

This also seems to match their new release schedule. Every model in a new codex must be available to purchase on release day (barring supply). Now GW can make models and then release them with smaller codex supplements instead of letting 2-3 units sit in model purgatory until 2016.

Finally we also need to trust that this won't create a new form of codex creep, but after the past few codex we've seen I'm actually not that worried about it. The new stuff is fun but by no means required minus one or two examples. If anything I hope it actually balances the game a bit more by helping codex like Nids or Dark Eldar who have so much that's good but need something to fill in the holes.

:unsmith:

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I'm actually a bit confused about this suppliment codex thing. Are they going to be like the Codex: Craftworld and Space Wolf and BA codexes in 3rd edition? Just seems strange to be doing it at the sime time of the release of the Eldar dex.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
The only annoying thing would be if the supplements are purely digital, meaning if you don't have an Ipad you can't have an Iyanden army.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The wraithknight almost looks too riptide to me, though that might be because they have come out one-after-another. Being piloted by a weeping eldar doesn't help.

Though who knows, they might make the wraithlords vehicles again! Though I still hope an all (well, mostly) wraith army is still do-able. Storm guardians are hopefully in as well.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
If nothing else, a Wraith army ought to be doable after that Iyanden book comes out I'd think.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Wait a minute... is the COdex: Iyanden digital only?

If so, this could be a bit lovely for non-iPad owners.

But then again... I own an ipad and if it means there could be a Death Guard supplement on the horizon...

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Big Willy Style posted:

I'm actually a bit confused about this suppliment codex thing. Are they going to be like the Codex: Craftworld and Space Wolf and BA codexes in 3rd edition? Just seems strange to be doing it at the sime time of the release of the Eldar dex.

That's what I'm expecting out of any supplements. Tweaks to the main codex list, maybe a couple of special rules, and some unique units or variations of units. It'd allow for armies like Salamanders to be better represented than just having a specific character on the board.

Supplements only work for more general books like Space Marines, Chaos Marines, Imperial Guard, and Eldar though. Each of them have had some pretty diverse variations in the past too.

I don't own an ipad so it'll suck if these things are digital-only. They could make printed copies direct order products to save shelf space though.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Safety Factor posted:

That's what I'm expecting out of any supplements. Tweaks to the main codex list, maybe a couple of special rules, and some unique units or variations of units. It'd allow for armies like Salamanders to be better represented than just having a specific character on the board.

Supplements only work for more general books like Space Marines, Chaos Marines, Imperial Guard, and Eldar though. Each of them have had some pretty diverse variations in the past too.

I don't own an ipad so it'll suck if these things are digital-only. They could make printed copies direct order products to save shelf space though.

maybe they'll compile a bunch of them together... in a similar way to death from the skies.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

LordAba posted:

The wraithknight almost looks too riptide to me, though that might be because they have come out one-after-another. Being piloted by a weeping eldar doesn't help.

The Wraithknight looks like a sleeker Riptide rather than a larger guard/lord, and I don't like it. ProbablyDefinitely won't be getting one, would rather spend half the money and get a much better looking Wraithseer from FW.

The fighter looks kinda cool though, need a less blurry image.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 19, 2013

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Woah, its actually happening.

I want to see some better pictures of that flyer, it looks pretty cool.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
For anyone that hasn't seen the new HH stuff, it's here:

http://apocalypse40k.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/seminar-3-models-of-horus-heresy.html?m=1

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

That is pretty much all awesome.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
There was something about there only being six months between books two and three instead of the full year we've had to wait this time.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Yeah that's amazing. It's like GW and FW are heading in totally different directions...

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

HardCoil posted:

Yeah that's amazing. It's like GW and FW are heading in totally different directions...

I'm not sure what you mean, given that GW's release schedule this edition has been massively sped up too?

That's some really cool stuff, though I'm a bit surprised to see cultist troops this 'early.'

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
I want to paint those noise marines so bad.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
Woo, robots! My Desert Lions will finally have some Legio Cybernetica support! :dance:

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

JerryLee posted:

I'm not sure what you mean, given that GW's release schedule this edition has been massively sped up too?

I mean design-wise. In my opinion GW is going on of a children's toy tangent, while forgeworld is not.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

I want to paint those noise marines so bad.

Yeah, me too. They are fantastic, and make me lament the sonic weapons packs i recently bought from GW.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

HardCoil posted:

I mean design-wise. In my opinion GW is going on of a children's toy tangent, while forgeworld is not.

I disagree, both are following the same basic aesthetic. It's just that Forgeworld does everything in resin and GW does as much as possible in plastic. There's still some detail issues with plastic kits despite the advances they've made.

Plus, look at that new legion tank. That totally looks like something a kid would play with. Hell, everything does. But that doesn't stop it from being awesome too.
Seriously though, I love that new tank. It's like a bored childhood drawing turned into a model.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Soulfucker posted:

Oh man. Oh man. Oh man. Oh man.

Still holding out for jetbikes.

At this point I assuming that we are just getting the same bikes repackaged in a box of three. Because there is no reason that they couldn't have released the new version they promoed years ago except that they hate us and don't want us to have it. No reason that would have changed, so we'll get the old one in repackaged and never see that new one ever.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

Safety Factor posted:

Seriously though, I love that new tank. It's like a bored childhood drawing turned into a model.

If the Land family was made up of child engineers with a ton of spare STCs, it would explain most of the imperial vehicles.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Safety Factor posted:

I disagree, both are following the same basic aesthetic. It's just that Forgeworld does everything in resin and GW does as much as possible in plastic. There's still some detail issues with plastic kits despite the advances they've made.

Plus, look at that new legion tank. That totally looks like something a kid would play with. Hell, everything does. But that doesn't stop it from being awesome too.

I don't know, maybe FW is just hitting my very specific kind of man child desires. For some reason I want to buy everything they do (especially dat tank), while the larger GW kits just feel stupid to me.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
On the face of it I can't say I approve of them selling codex supplements at the same time as they are releasing the codex. It seems a little cynical. Maybe they have good reasons. The flyer and Wraithnight both look good, although they seem to have departed somewhat drastically from the Eldar wraith aesthetic by up armouring it's legs a lot. Strange choice but it's probably one of those 'GW can't take photos' things.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Put together a Chaos Daemons list using the models I have available. I'm slowly expanding, but I think this will likely be a doable list against OB_Juan's Tau.

HQ:
Lord of Change 230pts (280pts)
++Mutating Warpblade 20pts
++Grimoire of True Names 30pts

Karanak 120pts

Herald of Tzeentch 45pts
++Exalted Locus of Conjuration 25pts
++Mastery Level 2 25pts

Herald of Nurgle 45pts
++Etherblade 10pts
++Greater Locus of Fecundity 25pts
++Palanquin of Nurgle 40pts

Troop:
10x Pink Horrors of Tzeentch 90pt

10x Plaguebearers of Nurgle 90pt
++Plagueridden 5pts
+++Etherblade 10pts

Fast Attack:
9x Flesh Hounds of Khorne 144pts

3x Screamers of Tzeentch 75pts

Heavy Support:
Skull Cannon of Khorne 125pts

Allies: Chaos Space Marines

HQ:
Chaos Lord 65pts (110pts)
++Burning Brand of Skalathrax 30pts
++Power Axe 15pts

Troop:
15x Chaos Cultist 70pts
++Flamer 15pts

Fast Attack:
Heldrake 170pts

Total Points: 1500pts

Haven't played in a while and am lookin' forward to a game. Maybe I'll take some pictures and/or make a battle report.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 19, 2013

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

gently caress. Now I have to run a heresy era Emperor's Children army. gently caress gently caress.

quote:

Put together a Chaos Daemons list using the models I have available.
I would try to make the herald of Tzeentch lvl2. This lets you take the prescience and a power from tzeentch, giving the unit another shooting attack and rerolls to hit.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

LordAba posted:

I would try to make the herald of Tzeentch lvl2. This lets you take the prescience and a power from tzeentch, giving the unit another shooting attack and rerolls to hit.

An excellent point.

Swapped out some chaff cultists and got it in. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 19, 2013

• Locked thread