Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

I want to like Path of Exiles, but so far my experience in it consists of running away until enemies get bored, then shooting some wildly inaccurate arrows at them, then running away again, and picking up junk I can't use. I guess what I want to know is: is archery just worthless? Or alternatively, is there some way I've missed to have a melee loadout that I can switch to without having to go into my inventory and drag poo poo around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010
Archery is real good, especially if you have a character who can summon stuff to distract monsters. I guess it would be bad if you didn't put points in dexterity and talents that make you fire faster and stuff.

Also, I think it's X to switch weapon sets. Switching weapon sets also let's you have two sets of skills as well, so you don't have to worry about having arrow skills on your swords or whatever.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

X? Cool, thanks, that will make things much more fun.

10bux
Sep 10, 2008
edit: ^^^ Hop on the POE IRC channel and ask a bunch of questions. POE has a huge learning curve. Anyway, bow users don't really become great until you get Resolute Technique or a good ele grove bow (lvl 35). However, Poison arrow + fire trap is a solid leveling combination for early game, especially if you pick up a silverbranch. You typically want to choose one weapon type, melee, bows, caster etc.

Finally getting around to playing Assassin's Creed 3. Anything I should know? I haven't touched the series since the very first one.

10bux fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 20, 2013

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

McCoy Pauley posted:

So I just picked up the COmmand and Conquer Ultimate Collection from Amazon. It contains:

• Command & Conquer
  • Command & Conquer The Covert Operations
  • Command & Conquer Red Alert
  • Command & Conquer Red Alert Counterstrike
  • Command & Conquer Red Alert The Aftermath
  • Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun
  • Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun Firestorm
  • Command & Conquer Red Alert 2
  • Command & Conquer Red Alert Yuri's Revenge
  • Command & Conquer Renegade
  • Command & Conquer Generals
  • Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour
  • Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars
  • Command & Conquer 3 Kane’s Wrath
  • Command & Conquer Red Alert 3
  • Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 Uprising
  • Command & Conquer 4 Tiberian Twilight

I've never played any of the C&C games before. I've had friends recommend Red Alert 3 and C&C 4, but is it worth going back to the first one? Anything to keep in mind going into it, or any of the others?

Tiberian Sun is underrated, it's got a great mood and some fun units and challenging missions, even if the gameplay is a bit wonky, so give it a shot too. I always enjoyed base building in that game, placing concrete under everything to prevent Nod diggers from coming out of the ground with an engineer squad.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Anything for Singularity?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

poptart_fairy posted:

Anything for Singularity?

Not really. It's pretty straightforward. Shoot bad guys, use time powers. Just have fun with it. If I remember correctly, there's three endings all of which you can get at the very end of the game. I think it autosaves right when you can make your choice so you can go back for the other ones.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Avalanche posted:

Just bought Chrono Trigger for my phone because this is apparently the best RPG made ever + I wanted something to stress test my new phone with.

So far, it seems like your standard final fantasy type RPG. Haven't run into any surprises so far. Anything useful to know about weapons/characters/stuff that if you don't pick up, you will permanently gimp your playthrough?
There is a woman who will ask you if she should burn a plant or secretly plant it. You must tell her to secretly plant it. It's fine if you miss her, she will show up in a different location later and is always accessible. But above all you must not tell her to burn it, or you will miss out on a big sidequest.

I will also agree regarding the black box treasure chests and Ayla's Charm ability (basically, never take Ayla out of your party and Charm every boss). Just to elaborate further on the black chest thing, I believe it only applies to ones in 600 AD. And you must try to open them in 600 AD first, specifically select "No" when prompted, and then re-try in 1000 AD. Then you'll get the powered-up item. It won't work if you skip straight to 1000 AD.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

SpazmasterX posted:

Not really. It's pretty straightforward. Shoot bad guys, use time powers. Just have fun with it. If I remember correctly, there's three endings all of which you can get at the very end of the game. I think it autosaves right when you can make your choice so you can go back for the other ones.

Haha, cool. Fair enough then! Working through my backlog and figured the simple FPS stuff would be easy.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

10bux posted:

Finally getting around to playing Assassin's Creed 3. Anything I should know? I haven't touched the series since the very first one.

In all honesty I would advise taking it back and getting Assassins Creed 2 instead. It's a far better game overall. But if you do want to stick with it, don't bother trying for 100% synchronisation on missions, the goals are ridiculous a lot of the time and it's just not worth it. Also make sure to play through all the boat missions because they're the best part about the whole game.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

PantsBandit posted:

So I tried to get into Mafia 2 a few months ago and found myself terribly bored with it after only 20 minutes are so. I've heard it's worth playing, but I'm not sure what the eventual appeal is.

The game works pretty well as an interactive mobster movie, but what it is not is an open-world game. The city is there for you to look at as you drive between missions, it's not "alive" like it is in GTAIV or Sleeping Dogs. And yeah, the game starts off slow, but it picks up after you get out of the starting apartment.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Avalanche posted:

Just bought Chrono Trigger for my phone because this is apparently the best RPG made ever + I wanted something to stress test my new phone with.

So far, it seems like your standard final fantasy type RPG. Haven't run into any surprises so far. Anything useful to know about weapons/characters/stuff that if you don't pick up, you will permanently gimp your playthrough?

Specific to the iPhone/iPad version: the virtual joystick kind of stinks and makes precise movement almost impossible. This is a consistent low-impact annoyance until you have to climb a windy mountain later on in the game. There are a couple of screens for which the only solution is to just keep trying (and falling off) until you make it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Specific to the iPhone/iPad version: the virtual joystick kind of stinks and makes precise movement almost impossible. This is a consistent low-impact annoyance until you have to climb a windy mountain later on in the game. There are a couple of screens for which the only solution is to just keep trying (and falling off) until you make it.

That part is loving terrible even in the original game.
Is the original CT or the updated DS version?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

There is a woman who will ask you if she should burn a plant or secretly plant it. You must tell her to secretly plant it. It's fine if you miss her, she will show up in a different location later and is always accessible. But above all you must not tell her to burn it, or you will miss out on a big sidequest.

I will also agree regarding the black box treasure chests and Ayla's Charm ability (basically, never take Ayla out of your party and Charm every boss). Just to elaborate further on the black chest thing, I believe it only applies to ones in 600 AD. And you must try to open them in 600 AD first, specifically select "No" when prompted, and then re-try in 1000 AD. Then you'll get the powered-up item. It won't work if you skip straight to 1000 AD.

Just to be clear, you can then go back to 600 and collect them again for twice the loot. Dont worry about paradoxes or anything.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SSNeoman posted:

That part is loving terrible even in the original game.
Is the original CT or the updated DS version?

The iOS version is the DS version. By extension, it is impossible to recommend completeling the bonus DS content because it is miserable.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Barudak posted:

The iOS version is the DS version. By extension, it is impossible to recommend completeling the bonus DS content because it is miserable.

I kind of liked the bonus bosses in the extra areas. It helps that some of the items you get are loving ridiculous.
All those fetch quests can go gently caress themselves however. That loving mountain goddamnit :suicide:

Further CT notes: Don't bother grinding for that sword in the beginning. You will get it in the second dungeon. Return the kitty to the girl, don't eat the dude's lunch, talk to Marle before picking up the pendant for a present at a later point in the game (I think it's an ether, so don't be too disappointed if you don't get it)

Your levels don't matter. CT is a pretty easy game to begin with so grinding is fairly unimportant. It's entirely likely you'll have 999 HP on at least one character in a casual playthrough. Later in the game bosses will usually bust out HP-to-1 moves, which further makes grinding irrelevant.

Ayla also helps because in one dungeon you get your equipment taken away. If you get caught and none of your heroes have weapons, it's an instant game over. Since Ayla uses her fists, this isn't an issue. No, I don't know why the heroes don't use their awesome magic to smite their foes.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 06:02 on May 21, 2013

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

What about Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life for the Gamecube? I bought this one long ago and I remember I couldn't get into it because it just confused the poo poo out of me. I loved the SNES game, and enjoyed the N64 game, but I think the controls and camera in AWL disoriented me. Is there a way to go about this game, especially a good start, so I can get into it?

Solaire
Jun 21, 2012

Lodare il sole
This is regarding good old League of Legends. I started playing it a while ago and while I enjoy it immensely I can't play anything other than support competently. Is there a good way to practice playing ADC or APC? Like a specific champ I should start with and a specific lane?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Get used to playing ADC duo bottom and APC solo mid, because that's where you'll be playing those roles 90% of the time. For ADC, try practicing with Caitlyn, who has an escape ability and whose massive auto-attack range and Q allow her to poke and lasthit easily.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011
Check out the League of Legends Newbie Thread for good advice. I find the experienced players who post there to be very good at answering that kind of question.

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

We can't go back no more, but I suppose we can go wherever we please.
Dust: An Elysian Tale coming out in a few days on Steam. Anything general for that?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Is Metro 2033 the game where hard mode is easier then normal/regular because the enemies are bullet sponges at easier difficultie

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

pentyne posted:

Is Metro 2033 the game where hard mode is easier then normal/regular because the enemies are bullet sponges at easier difficultie
Yes. See also: STALKER.

VVVV: Lower difficulty reduces the damage weapons do. Yours, and theirs.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 22, 2013

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

pentyne posted:

Wait, what? Could someone explain this?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

RatHat posted:

Wait, what? Could someone explain this?

Maybe it's like Deus Ex's "Realistic" difficulty setting where it takes less damage to take someone down but you take more damage as well? I don't know, I haven't played the game but that's how I interpretted that post.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Mierenneuker posted:

Maybe it's like Deus Ex's "Realistic" difficulty setting where it takes less damage to take someone down but you take more damage as well? I don't know, I haven't played the game but that's how I interpretted that post.

Bingo. You scavenge less ammunition in harder difficulties though so you still have to pick your shots.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Colon V posted:

Yes. See also: STALKER.

VVVV: Lower difficulty reduces the damage weapons do. Yours, and theirs.

And since Muramasa: Rebirth is due soon, the same thing applies. Muso is "normal" but both you and enemies deal less damage. Shura is "hard" and enemies go down in a couple shots but the same applies to you. The argument that the game is repetitive is definitely true on Muso but Shura turns it into a really intense action experience forcing you to constantly switch weapons and use items.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Mass Effect 2

Gun fights are so slowly paced. I'm an infiltrator. What's the most optimal play-style for that class?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Squirtle Squadee posted:

Mass Effect 2

Gun fights are so slowly paced. I'm an infiltrator. What's the most optimal play-style for that class?
Find cover. Cloak. Headshot. Repeat.

A cloaked headshot will oneshot anything below miniboss tier, cripple minibosses, and will deal a huge chunk of damage to bosses...and that's before you get the Widow.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Squirtle Squadee posted:

Mass Effect 2

Your bread and butter with that class are sniper rifles, so sitting back behind cover and doing surgical strikes with somewhat of a downtime between attacks (compared to other classes) is a given for the class. Take party members that can strip shields and barriers, have them use their powers on shielded enemies and finish them off. Also focus on big enemies with lots of health rather than small troopers, leave those for your squadmates while there are bigger enemies around. Activate Tactical Cloak before every shot for increased damage.

When you start to run low on ammo, switch to your pistol / SMG, hit Cloak, and move around the battlefield a lot and flank enemies. This will mix things up nicely and when combined with smart positioning and use of your squadmates' powers, make for pretty effective and interesting combat.

Around half-way through the main storyline, you'll get to a mission where you can spec into one additional type of weapon to use.
You can use this to spec into shotguns and play a shotgun Infiltrator (again, in combination with Cloak) which can be pretty fun, although it's not nearly as effective as in ME3. If you do actually enjoy sniping, however, you can also choose to unlock the Widow sniper rifle, which is hilariously overpowered (think one-shotting almost any type of enemy with a single headshot despite defenses).

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Always choose the Widow. Even without the ridiculous damage, it SOUNDS awesome. But seriously that thing murders everything and you should take it.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Anything for Orcs Must Die 2? I did not play the first, sadly.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

MisterFuzzles posted:

Dust: An Elysian Tale coming out in a few days on Steam. Anything general for that?

Whenever you get a new material, immediately sell it to the shop so they can start stocking it - even if it's the only one of the materials you have. Once they have it in stock they'll slowly build their supply of it and it's a lot easier to buy 10 from the store instead of trying to farm them up.

It's part metroidvania, so you'll eventually get skills that will let you get items previously inaccessible. The last skill you get is one that lets you shoot upwards when on an updraft + if you weren't aware it exists then you might spend a while trying fancy jumps that may or may not work.

Once you get more and more health, the cheap low health restoring foods might seem worthless, but they're incredibly useful - if you use them it regenerates most/all of your companion's magic which can easily extend your combos and make fights even easier.

I'd recommend playing on hard, as the base game isn't that hard in most cases. The hardest fight is near the beginning where you fight a giant golem - the trick is to counter and stun its attack and completely drop its defenses.

When you get equipment that boost item drop rates, it's worth boosting it heavily and replaying older areas just in case you missed some rarer materials and blueprints.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
I picked up a copy of Infinite Space. Anything to watch for? I heard they released tutorial videos to show you how to play it, anyone have those?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Spuzzz posted:

I picked up a copy of Infinite Space. Anything to watch for? I heard they released tutorial videos to show you how to play it, anyone have those?

Don't be a cheapass when it comes to flowers.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Anything for Hitman: Absolution? Already a few levels into it, just completed the one with the hippies, but I might be missing something you never know.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

theshim posted:

Anything for Orcs Must Die 2? I did not play the first, sadly.

You can't have both characters on one campaign file, so maybe try out both for a bit to see who you like more before you get too far in.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spuzzz posted:

Do all the sidequests/errands (there is a lot of potential crewmembers). Gameplay-wise; when you can get Carriers, buy a pair and start laughing. You'll be unkillable in most battles as your starfighters rip enemy ships apart.

Cake Attack posted:

Don't be a cheapass when it comes to flowers.

Also yell.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 24, 2013

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

I'm going to get either Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning or Two Worlds II soon, any advice for these? Or are they both shite and I shouldn't bother?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Bogmonster posted:

I'm going to get either Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning or Two Worlds II soon, any advice for these? Or are they both shite and I shouldn't bother?
Two Worlds II is solid, reliable shite. There's a few interesting ideas but they don't come anywhere close to compensating for the rest of the game ranging from dull to awful.

I've stayed away from KoA:R because it looked like an effort to make the most generic RPG possible, but from the general reactions it ought to still be considerably ahead of Two Worlds II.