Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

MrTheDevious posted:

Evantil 2 and Chapterhouse 2 still kinda suck, but all the rest are laughable at this point. You can do all the T1 stuff boxing for sure

I just tried Evantil 1 (which is T2 and wasn't nerfed, I know) just to see, and the amygdalan near the portal destroyed me with his AE. I wasn't ready for that. I could probably do it if I was ready to group heal right away.

Node fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

jetz0r posted:

Who is saying DPS mercs aren't good? The Wiz mercs on burn will out dps just about any group geared dps class on a sustained exp group parse.

I'm piecing things together from forum posts, many of them several years old, so I'm glad to be corrected. If that's the case I might go with SHD CLR ENC and 3 dps mercs.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Vulpes posted:

I'm piecing things together from forum posts, many of them several years old, so I'm glad to be corrected. If that's the case I might go with SHD CLR ENC and 3 dps mercs.

You should join our serverwide and just ask in there.

Bards are pretty much just better ENCs, especially while boxing. Their overall adps is much greater, even in a pure caster group.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
The EW 2 mission was going great until a coldain summoned me under the world at z cords -380 and then wiped the rest of my group. The mob forgot about me. That was neat. The void was under me, and all I could see above me was water.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Vulpes posted:

Theorycrafting a good three-box + mercs combo. Been doing some reading and it seems like dps mercs aren't that great, but healer mercs are fairly viable even for endgame group content, if you have a couple of them and set up the spell blocks etc correctly. It's hard to get a good idea about it since most of the posts are years old.

I'm looking at SHD, SHM, WIZ, Heal merc x2, DPS (or maybe tank) merc. Is this going to work or am I going to get frustrated with the healer mercs? (either because the AI is poo poo or they just don't have the raw throughput needed).
SHD/SHM/WIZ sounds great with a lot of bases covered. I've done monk/shaman/wiz/ranger for a long time on Test, and the Ranger was pretty much there for extra dps, tracking and buffs. Wizard teleports and nukes are great.

An alternative to a Shaman+Wiz is to make a Druid and an Enchanter, covering haste, slow, heals, snare, buffs, CC, teleports and much more, giving focus to spell dps rather than melee dps.

One thing about boxing in modern EQ is that mercs really turn the table. You have to decide early on if you want to do the tanking and/or healing yourself - if you want to let mercs do it, you lift a huge burden off yourself, but it also means that all you're doing is pretty much pulling, dps, utility and occasionally spot backup healing. It does make the game feel a bit shallow and cheap at times, but I'm not complaining about mercs; we're free to not use them and play the hard way... but drat it's tough.

Deciding to tank yourself instead of letting a merc do it is a big decision from what I hear, as gearing and AA'ing up a tank is one of the biggest tasks in EQ. Making a healer (Cleric, Druid or Shaman) is much easier, but having to heal actively when you get to the high end content will also be a major challenge. It's almost like cheating how an FD-capable class can drag along a mercenary on Passive and just FD, switch the merc to an active stance and be healed to full without agro. You can't do that with a player character, so you'll have to balance pulling/dungeon crawling PLUS healing - as if there aren't enough buttons to press already. You honestly don't gain anything but pride from healing yourself, although I will add that a backup priest healer is almost a must in HoT+ content when things go south or for fighting named.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

MrTheDevious posted:

Evantil 2 and Chapterhouse 2 still kinda suck, but all the rest are laughable at this point. You can do all the T1 stuff boxing for sure

Nope, shaman and I still can't do it. Don't have the DPS to break a crystal in enough time, and the wizard mercs won't attack it since they're just a static object. Even with constant pulling, ZK still touches down when there are a couple coldain/giants on the ground. God drat it.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Node posted:

Nope, shaman and I still can't do it. Don't have the DPS to break a crystal in enough time, and the wizard mercs won't attack it since they're just a static object. Even with constant pulling, ZK still touches down when there are a couple coldain/giants on the ground. God drat it.

You just need to add in an actual DPS class and that mission's super easy these days. Evantil 2 and Chapterhouse are both NOT boxable, so you might as well find a couple extra people to do all of em with. BG2 has the same crystal mechanic as EW2 but otherwise is really easy. Kael 2 needs an offtank/pet, CC2 was so easy I don't even remember it, SL2 is easy, Xorbb2 is easy, Grelleth 2 is easy.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
So I got my team of SK, Shaman, Ranger all to 80, the ranger being 82. The SK and Shaman has about 500AA. Ranger has about 2000. They all have pretty much HoT T1 gear save a few pieces here and there. So I wanted to take a break from the HS AA treadmill and go do some aug hunting for the SK, where is a good place to start? Ive heard that there are places that drop 25AC augs that are non lore?

Or maybe go do the SK 1.5? which would you guys do first?

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!

Peechka posted:

So I got my team of SK, Shaman, Ranger all to 80, the ranger being 82. The SK and Shaman has about 500AA. Ranger has about 2000. They all have pretty much HoT T1 gear save a few pieces here and there. So I wanted to take a break from the HS AA treadmill and go do some aug hunting for the SK, where is a good place to start? Ive heard that there are places that drop 25AC augs that are non lore?

Or maybe go do the SK 1.5? which would you guys do first?

I can swarm all of PoFire on my 80 SK with 1.5 and HoT Abstruse gear. 32kish hps 4k AC
I started swarming at around 750, currently at 1500ish.. Get around 15 - 20 AA per pull depending on how compact the swarm is.
Took me about a day to do 1.5 pre-quest and finish it all.

The information on the augs would be cool, as I need to do that too.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Jotto posted:

The information on the augs would be cool, as I need to do that too.

http://www.evilgamer.net/forums/showpost.php?p=111877&postcount=2

After that you just need to start upgrading stuff with things you find in UF and up.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Do 1.5 before anything else, then just go ahead and finish off 2.0 too. 2.0 for SK is the best item you'll ever have period. If you guys are on Test I can get you 2.0 orbs in about half an hour.

Once you're done with that, starter AC aug set:
RSS from Pyrilen Riftseeker drops NONlore 25ac, so you can fill 4 slots with those.
RSS from Girplan Shardtender drops NONlore 20ac, can fill another 5 slots with those.
DreadspireKeep from Shadowy Student drops NONlore 25ac/somehp that go in 5 more slots

That's 14 of your slots right there, then you're ready to start the lore aug camps. There's a bigass thread stickied on Evilgamer.net that has a list of every ac aug in the game and where it is. I would recommend skipping the Shardtender 20ac augs since you'll replace them REALLY fast. I think probably the easiest camps after those are Valdeholm, Ashengate, and Frostcrypt. UF has several, but UF is still way overtuned and it'll beat your rear end back out of the zone if you're not ready for the huge jump in difficulty. HoT/VoA/RoF all have shitloads of augs coming from everywhere, once you're ready to tackle those expansions.

Your first goal is getting every slot filled with 30+ AC, then start dropping ones that don't have heroic Agi or Dex. At 100 it's extremely possible to be 35+ AC with proper heroics in every slot but it requires some work. I'm still 1 aug short cause loving Velishan won't drop his for me :emo:

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Aw man, missed the Fansy discussion. Yeah, everything he did was real and involved faction/charm on NPC shenanigans. Even today there are ways to badly exploit the faction/charm game on Zek though they are much more difficult to accomplish. It was called Bard Burning back in the day when it worked well, though I don't remember the exact combination of poo poo that you had to do to trigger the bugged social aggro. Still, it survived in the form of alliance/charm bugged aggro in certain cases.

For example, I used to (in the PoP/GoD era) fight a great deal in Plane of Justice as a bard. I discovered (through sheer accident) that if you Allianced a few of the NPCs in the upper jail level (near zoneout) and charmed them to send at players, eventually they would chain social-aggro through the floor even though they were not supposed to while charmed. It would take about 10-15 minutes of fighting, but suddenly an enormous, KOS-to-all train would come thundering up from the lower jail levels and start laying waste to everyone, with a specific beef for killing me and whoever I had been fighting against. I'd simply Fade and watch entire groups wipe as 30+ planar mobs rolled around the corner and flattened whoever was there.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

MrTheDevious posted:

Do 1.5 before anything else, then just go ahead and finish off 2.0 too. 2.0 for SK is the best item you'll ever have period. If you guys are on Test I can get you 2.0 orbs in about half an hour.

Whats your name on test?

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Kodaji almost always, otherwise Nicrollia/Rohbote

ChubbyPitbull
Dec 10, 2005
Awww....look how OHMYGODMYHAND!
Trying this back out as it turns out people I knew had been playing it for awhile. I have a druid as a main right now, and was looking for another class or two to start raising up to box with the druid. Trying to figure out what I good pairing is; started a mage based on suggestions I found while Googling around. If I wanted a third, should I get some sort of tank, or could a tank merc be viable in the end game with enough healing?

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!

MrTheDevious posted:

If you guys are on Test I can get you 2.0 orbs in about half an hour.

I'm on currently on Vox with a group of friends.. is there any compelling reasons to move to Test?

Have a good population, active raiding, ect?

Vox seems to have a pretty decent population from what I've seen so far.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Jotto posted:

I'm on currently on Vox with a group of friends.. is there any compelling reasons to move to Test?

Have a good population, active raiding, ect?

Vox seems to have a pretty decent population from what I've seen so far.

We should put that info in the OP, heh.

You play on Test to get everything free and the exp is faster. The raid scene is miserable (let MrTheDev fill you in). There's a population, but not great. People do give stuff away all the time though, because, well, it's worthless (since you can /testcopy over and over).

But once you copy to Test, you can't transfer off of it anymore.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Yeah that's what I thought, was wondering why I would copy over lol.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

MrTheDevious posted:

You just need to add in an actual DPS class and that mission's super easy these days. Evantil 2 and Chapterhouse are both NOT boxable, so you might as well find a couple extra people to do all of em with. BG2 has the same crystal mechanic as EW2 but otherwise is really easy. Kael 2 needs an offtank/pet, CC2 was so easy I don't even remember it, SL2 is easy, Xorbb2 is easy, Grelleth 2 is easy.

Yeah, that was all it was. Had a ranger buddy join in and we won the mission on the first attempt, and got two of the three achievements. The achievement for not letting anyone stay mezzed for over 90 seconds is a pretty generous time frame. He was the first one to get crystalled though, that was kind of annoying.

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda
Any of you that are original Luclin server players and want to get back in touch with folks, PM me your email or whoever you are on Facebook. We started a group up on Monday as an experiment - it just broke 370 members. Which is pretty insane when you consider how few you'd garner doing that with most any other MMO, especially like near ten years after most people quit.

UngratefulD
Mar 31, 2011
So my friends and are just starting over and plan to run through the old world zones. I was wondering if anyone knew if mercenaries can be in a raid group or if they can even come into a place like plane of fear?

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Mercs can go to any raid that isn't flagged as an expedition, so yes. Basically PoTime on up is no mercs allowed.

UngratefulD
Mar 31, 2011
Great so these early areas should be good fun. Thanks for the reply.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Lady Nevederia and Jorlleag both down on Test first try :woop:. Legions of Blackburrow haven't brakes~

I got Zebiss in bypassing app reqs, so if any other goons want in, now's the time. We're making GBS threads all over everything like Test has never seen~ Never gonna be equivalent to live, but if you want to enjoy the gently caress out of some raids with the whatever-goes Test attitude, LoB is rocking the gently caress out right now and it's a total blast

Edit - you're expected to not-suck. If you suck, they'll boot you no matter whether I get you in or not. Just don't suck.

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 17, 2013

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

MrTheDevious posted:

Lady Nevederia and Jorlleag both down on Test first try :woop:. Legions of Blackburrow haven't brakes~

I got Zebiss in bypassing app reqs, so if any other goons want in, now's the time. We're making GBS threads all over everything like Test has never seen~ Never gonna be equivalent to live, but if you want to enjoy the gently caress out of some raids with the whatever-goes Test attitude, LoB is rocking the gently caress out right now and it's a total blast

Edit - you're expected to not-suck. If you suck, they'll boot you no matter whether I get you in or not. Just don't suck.

I actually wanted to get my enchanter up to 95, which is the minimum level to app to your guild, and give it a go as it is nearly summer and I will have some time to raid semi-casually, but I have been utterly exp-blocked since 92. If anybody on test would like to group up, I may try again, but things got very discouraging very fast.

Trust me to start loving enchanters 10 years after they were the OMG MUST HAVE class

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

I have no idea why we don't have 100 a requirement since a 95 is gonna get oneshotted by everything. If you're not 100 with over 75khp, you're gonna die constantly on anything and everything. For NToV, we bench anyone with less than 70k (people's boxes pretty much) because everything past Dagarn's gonna eat them alive and we don't want a healer or something getting distracted trying to keep someone useless alive :shobon:

As for leveling, you're probably hosed just because everyone and their dog has a Bard and thus doesn't give a crap about chanters. It's box yourself to 100 or stay where you are really. Not to mention nobody groups outside of their own guild on Test anyway, especially in RoF content.

Edit - also I said you have to not-suck :butt:

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 17, 2013

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

MrTheDevious posted:

I have no idea why we don't have 100 a requirement since a 95 is gonna get oneshotted by everything. If you're not 100 with over 75khp, you're gonna die constantly on anything and everything. For NToV, we bench anyone with less than 70k (people's boxes pretty much) because everything past Dagarn's gonna eat them alive and we don't want a healer or something getting distracted trying to keep someone useless alive :shobon:

As for leveling, you're probably hosed just because everyone and their dog has a Bard and thus doesn't give a crap about chanters. It's box yourself to 100 or stay where you are really. Not to mention nobody groups outside of their own guild on Test anyway, especially in RoF content.

Edit - also I said you have to not-suck :butt:

I'm kind of interested in joining with Fun and Riv, but my play time is inconsistent as best right now (maybe an hour or two late at night a couple times a week and a bit longer on the weekends sometimes). Does LoB have any requirements for play time or anything?

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

It's fairly lax, but still a raid guild, so at least one raid every two weeks (several during probation) or you get booted. We raid Sun/Tues/Thurs at 5cst and the lowest possible attendance without getting booted is one of those every two weeks. That's bar minimum just to stay guilded, but if you're raiding once every two weeks you're never ever going to get loot or groups just because nobody will know you and raid attendance rate is part of our DKP system. The guild groups constantly, but the same cliques are in LoB as exist in every mmo guild...if nobody knows who you are because you only play 2 hours a week, they're not gonna take you anywhere.

As for raid loot, if you're below 60% attendance in the last 30 days, you're relegated to the same tier as alts/boxes, which is rot loot only.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Started playing again :argh:

Test copied my warrior. Debating whether to triple box again, it was kinda a pain to set-up and actually travel to camps.
Warrior is pretty cool so far; it's cool to be able to actually withstand pulls unlike my rogue. I don't know how much content I'll be able to molo though, I'm lvl68/300AAs so far.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Even if you're not 3boxing, at least 2box or it's going to take you 5 minutes per kill later on and you're gonna get pissed fast. War/cleric is fine with tanking, but your dps is going to suck rear end

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

jetz0r posted:

Who is saying DPS mercs aren't good? The Wiz mercs on burn will out dps just about any group geared dps class on a sustained exp group parse.

Yeah the wizard merc at 100 is pretty drat good. It was probably good well before that too, but I only just started messing around with them. Everyone says they run out of mana quick but they last longer than most player wizards would.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Would the wizard merc nuke stuff that I root rot or would those mobs have to hit me first? Can you make the DPS mercs aggressive and assist or are they always responsive only?

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

He'll happily nuke the stuff you're root rotting without you getting hit, he just assists.

I'm not sure the result of that is gonna be quite what you think it is, though

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Was gonna start actively playing again since I have nothing better to do and my PC died, awesome.

Maybe I'll buy a new one this week but I dunno, poo poo is expensive.

Edit: if anyone can make suggestions, I still have power to my CPU but the power button won't turn on the system. I have enough knowledge of computers that I'm not against toying around with my computer but don't ask me to solder poo poo.

Shrapnig fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 19, 2013

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Shrapnac posted:

Was gonna start actively playing again since I have nothing better to do and my PC died, awesome.

Maybe I'll buy a new one this week but I dunno, poo poo is expensive.

Edit: if anyone can make suggestions, I still have power to my CPU but the power button won't turn on the system. I have enough knowledge of computers that I'm not against toying around with my computer but don't ask me to solder poo poo.

When in doubt, unplug everything on the motherboard and plug it back in. Also, re-seat the RAM in the system. Could be a bad Power Supply, and those aren't terribly expensive to replace and are easy to put in.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

MrTheDevious posted:

He'll happily nuke the stuff you're root rotting without you getting hit, he just assists.

I'm not sure the result of that is gonna be quite what you think it is, though

Yea, I thought about it after I made the post and then remembered that DD tends to break PP.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Kael 2 would be really easy if the crystal shard would attack you back for some measly damage so that your wizard merc would nuke it, instead of staring at it. Paladin and shaman deepus just don't cut it. I'm sure once I can find my ranger friend free I'll be able to take that one down.

As for my shawl quest.. I got brewing to 300, which I suspect is one of the easier tradeskills to max, since everything for brut champagne can be store bought, you just need to enchant gold bars. I'm probably going to go for baking next and... and... are misty thicket picnics the way to go? The recipes on the tradeskill guides make all the 300+ baking recipes look awful. MTPs require brownie parts (drop) and fruit (foraged,) and an absolutely sickening amount of subcombines. What's the laziest way to go? I don't care how much plat I have to spend.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've got a 5-box setup on Povar (war/monk/druid/shaman/bard) that has been chewing through HoT progression. I'm currently at 95% into level 92 on all 5 chars, and am wondering if it might be a good idea to hold at 92 and AA for a bit. I'm working on aug camps for the warrior, and I'd prefer to maximize exp while I do it. I saw earlier in the thread someone mentioned that 92 is kind of a magic level, and a lot of good exp spots dry up once you ding 93. I only have RoF on one box, so won't be going past 95 any time soon in any case. Any thoughts on that plan?

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda

Goldmund posted:

I've got a 5-box setup on Povar (war/monk/druid/shaman/bard) that has been chewing through HoT progression. I'm currently at 95% into level 92 on all 5 chars, and am wondering if it might be a good idea to hold at 92 and AA for a bit. I'm working on aug camps for the warrior, and I'd prefer to maximize exp while I do it. I saw earlier in the thread someone mentioned that 92 is kind of a magic level, and a lot of good exp spots dry up once you ding 93. I only have RoF on one box, so won't be going past 95 any time soon in any case. Any thoughts on that plan?

It's a good plan.

HoT T3 and T4 zones are excellent AA at 92 still. Ding 93 and watch your exp go into the tank. I experienced this first hand on my rogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Flarestar posted:

It's a good plan.

HoT T3 and T4 zones are excellent AA at 92 still. Ding 93 and watch your exp go into the tank. I experienced this first hand on my rogue.

Sounds good, thanks for the info. HoT has been a really fun expansion to work through, I'll be sad once the exp dries up there. I've heard that VoA really sucks in comparison, but how does RoF stack up?