Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Mio Bison posted:

AFAIK Guilty's current-gen release has the same netcode as both of those games but it's unplayable because it's too fast for input delay to be acceptable (it's already pretty sketchy in P4A). Not having any engine tweaks like the 4-5 repeated frames on button hold thing doesn't help but GG, being a good game, is too fast to be played with input delay anyway. Now that Capcom JP is embracing rollback netcode I'm cautiously optimistic that ArcSys might follow suit with their new engine but who knows. People would still bitch about rollback not being quite the same as offline but it'd be a big step towards making online a good way to practice.

I thought it was really bad in P4A. I'll never understand why they let people skip the fight intros online and keep the match from "synching" or whatever its doing. Delay-based netcode is fine for 3D fighters and BB, but it feels terrible with anything faster than that. They absolutely need to have rollback-based netcode for a Guilty Gear game to be playable on anything slower than fiber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So is "Xrd" pronounced "ex erd" or "zerd" or what? I've watched the hype as gently caress trailer at least six times and I'm still not sure.

tranceMD
Apr 25, 2006

Forsooth! Methinks thou art no ordinary talking chicken.
The rat tail gives Ky a bit of a Bridget vibe.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

So is "Xrd" pronounced "ex erd" or "zerd" or what? I've watched the hype as gently caress trailer at least six times and I'm still not sure.

The japanese announcer guy in the trailer says it ex erd like its a number.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

I'm gonna guess this game takes place before GG2 and he's currently in the process of growing out his glorious kingly mane.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Troffen posted:

I'm gonna guess this game takes place before GG2 and he's currently in the process of growing out his glorious kingly mane.
Izuna better show up, his theme song was the best part of Guilty Gear 2.

EDIT: Actually, Guilty Gear 2 was kind of a weirdly fun game for how bizarre it's mechanics were.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

AndyElusive posted:

I'm just going to pronounce it "third".

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

AnonSpore posted:

GG tradition has always been to include every character who was playable in previous games, except Justice and Kliff who are often console-only. So I wouldn't be too worried about your favorite character not making it in.

This was the case when they could re-use sprites from each game in the next, but since everyone is going to have to be done from scratch I'd be surprised if the game has more than 16 characters.

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski

AnonSpore posted:

The track record for GG releases on PC has been pretty abysmal, but then again that was a different time.

Until a month ago or so when the lobby went down for unknown reasons, lots of people had still been playing #R online. That netcode wasn't bad (missing a few features GGPO has) and it was fun to own people with May guilt-free because of her low-tier roots.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

heiden posted:

Until a month ago or so when the lobby went down for unknown reasons, lots of people had still been playing #R online. That netcode wasn't bad (missing a few features GGPO has) and it was fun to own people with May guilt-free because of her low-tier roots.

Isn't the fact that the PC scene is playing a version that's like, what, 3 or 4 iterations behind what's in Japanese arcade cabinets proof that PC support is abysmal?

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?

One and the Same posted:

Woah. :stare: This really came out of left field. Here I was, super-stoked for Blazblue 3 and the (possible?) GGxBB and now here's this new thing, and with a shiny new engine no less. ARCsys is really pushing all my dashfighter buttons, and it feels good~ :c00l:
Chrono Phantasma is Blazblue 3

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

It's Unreal engine and there was a PC release of a BlazBlue game, but overall their track record is pretty slim on PC ports so most likely not.

The worst part is you just know some idiot publisher is going "why should we make a PC port, GGXX #R and Blazblue PC sold terribly!" and ignoring the fact that one shipped without netplay and the other was several years and several versions out of date.

I wasn't going to care about this because hey, obviously by Summer 2012 I'd be playing Skullgirls on PC instead. Fall at the latest. Right? :smith:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

One weird thing is that Sol has a new sword in the trailer compared to his usual sword, and it looks closer to his rock sword that he used as Order Sol.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
It's a giant lighter. Sol is fighting with a big rear end zippo.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Better than before with the Fuuenken, which means Gigantic Nail File in Japanese.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

:stare: Was that Zato-1 instead of Eddie?

This came out of left-field but I am so loving happy GGX3 is finally in development. Guilty Gear was always my fighter of choice but then Guilty Gear 2 was poo poo and Blazblue was too style over substance for my tastes.

Genetic Toaster fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 19, 2013

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

AnonSpore posted:

Better than before with the Fuuenken, which means Gigantic Nail File in Japanese.

I don't know if you're joking, but 風炎剣 is more like Wind Inferno Sword.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Potsticker posted:

I don't know if you're joking, but 風炎剣 is more like Wind Inferno Sword.

I am aware. It was a joke about what the sword looks like.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

AnonSpore posted:

I am aware. It was a joke about what the sword looks like.

Good deal. Too much of "X means Y in Japanese" on the internet has dulled my sarcasm detector.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

The models look a little iffy but the animation is sooo on point. It animates just like a 2D game, which is something I've never been able to say for any other 2.5D game, ever.

I thought that Sol looked a bit weird but the animation is so on point that it makes up for it.

I know the Unreal engine is crazy adaptable, but I want to know who's soul they sold to pry that out of it.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Unlucky7 posted:

I thought that Sol looked a bit weird but the animation is so on point that it makes up for it.

I know the Unreal engine is crazy adaptable, but I want to know who's soul they sold to pry that out of it.

The engine doesn't really matter for that kind of thing, it's a lot more about the assets and the shaders.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh God, this is amazing. I just hope they keep GG's pacing, that's my only worry. (That and they'll cut HOS.) And here I was worried when I saw the Unreal engine bit at the start, but goddamn that looks great, even if Sol looks a little weird.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

S-Alpha posted:

Oh God, this is amazing. I just hope they keep GG's pacing, that's my only worry. (That and they'll cut HOS.) And here I was worried when I saw the Unreal engine bit at the start, but goddamn that looks great, even if Sol looks a little weird.

The main thing is that he's too wide, like the aspect ratio or camera is distorted or something. Probably just the model needs some tweaking is all.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The worst part is you just know some idiot publisher is going "why should we make a PC port, GGXX #R and Blazblue PC sold terribly!" and ignoring the fact that one shipped without netplay and the other was several years and several versions out of date.

I wasn't going to care about this because hey, obviously by Summer 2012 I'd be playing Skullgirls on PC instead. Fall at the latest. Right? :smith:

I wonder how hard ports between console and PC are on Unreal Engine games, if that makes it any easier or not.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
MK9 PC port is all but confirmed, so if it does well it might convince other publishers that there's a real market for FGs on PC.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

MK9 PC port is all but confirmed, so if it does well it might convince other publishers that there's a real market for FGs on PC.

Lol as if a Japanese developer would pay attention to anything that an American developer does

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
There's a real market for FGs on PC if you release them around the same time as the console versions, they're not bad ports, and they have decent netcode.

So far very few games have actually accomplished this. SF4 is the only one that has even come close and even then the support was pretty bad for a while.

Releasing a PC port for MK9 2 years late and after you've released a new game that is immensely popular and has basically replaced MK9 is immensely stupid and if they think they can judge the validity of a PC market for fighting games by doing that they're about as good at business as they are at making fighting games.

Also what pol said.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
The characters look a bit chubby, kinda like KOF13, but I'm sure I'll easily get used to it. I just hope some of the hitsparks and glowy things (like the Stun Edge or Greed Sever effect) end up looking a bit less blurry. Other than that, I haven't been this excited for a new fighting game since the first BlazBlue trailer (although, look how that turned out). Including stuff like Dustloop is a nice nod to show that they're taking the game seriously for existing fans and this isn't some 100% reboot to get new people in.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

The only Arc System game I've played is P4:A- is GG similar? Just curious, because that looks seriously impressive for 3D models.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

The only Arc System game I've played is P4:A- is GG similar? Just curious, because that looks seriously impressive for 3D models.

They're pretty similar. A lot of the stuff in P4A originated from GG (the burst system, Roman/One More cancels, etc.)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

getitoffgetitoff posted:

They're pretty similar. A lot of the stuff in P4A originated from GG (the burst system, Roman/One More cancels, etc.)

I'm actually gonna disagree. Sure, some system mechanics might be the same, but the differences are more numerous than the similarities, and the march flow/combo system of the games are radically different. No universal DP, five buttons, FRCs, the universal overhead working way differently, and a ton of little mechanical poo poo. It's something you kinda have to get your hands on to really feel the difference, but there are plenty of videos out there too. (That whole channel has a ton of GG vids, definitely worth a look if you're interested.)

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Would there be a massive need outcry if GGXrd co-opted some of the skill barrier lowering stuff from P4A like auto combos?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

just a butt posted:

Would there be a massive need outcry if GGXrd co-opted some of the skill barrier lowering stuff from P4A like auto combos?

Auto combos were cool/inoffensive so probably not.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
Autocombos are really cool and should be in every modern FG, if the new GG co-opts universal DPs, Awakening-style (aka derpy) supers, escape rolls, two-button throws and the sluggish neutral game we're going to have a problem.

E: Keep universal overhead, make it two-frame

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I like two-button throws. :( Also, I've barely played any GG, but if they slow it down it's gonna be so stupid. My first reaction mashing randomly in that game was "holy poo poo this thing moves fast also my normals make no sense".

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Mio Bison posted:

Autocombos are really cool and should be in every modern FG, if the new GG co-opts universal DPs, Awakening-style (aka derpy) supers, escape rolls, two-button throws and the sluggish neutral game we're going to have a problem.

That's my two cents put better than I could've said it. But moreso than them adding mechanics, I'd be sad if they started removing them. I'd hate to see jump installs, impossible dust, dash braking, and so on go away. If dust works like it does in that trailer, then impossible dust may already be on the way out. I don't want to make any snap judgements based on that trailer, though. Way too early for that.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

P4A is a really good introduction to that style of game. It's much simpler execution-wise than GG is, so be prepared to take your learning up a notch or three, but generally if you liked P4A you should really plan on giving GG a shot.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Mio Bison posted:

E: Keep universal overhead, make it two-frame
I agree with most of those, but personally I kinda like escape rolls from BB. Also don't get why people hate two-button throws as much as they do.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I hate the idea of universal DP's even though I never played Persona and don't really know what they were beyond what the name implies.

One thing I really loved about GG was that many characters had no viable wake up option, and those that did could not, for instance, RC off of their DP and then do 50% damage. This meant that knocking someone down meant pressure, which meant a nice flow and good offense without having to have "vortex characters."

I guess giving everyone a DP is fine as long as the DP is a risk and as long as you can't do huge chunks of damage off of it. It's still more interesting to me to have strong DP's be relatively rare; it differentiates the characters more and is just overall better design.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

dj_de posted:

Chrono Phantasma is Blazblue 3

Oh I know. It's just not out on consoles yet. I just refer to it as Blazblue 3 for expediency. Also Chrono Phantasma sounds dumb.

I really hope it gets an Xbox port. My stick is dual-modded, but I'll be damned if I'm going to run out and buy a PS3 just for Blazblue. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Question Mark Mound posted:

I agree with most of those, but personally I kinda like escape rolls from BB. Also don't get why people hate two-button throws as much as they do.

In general, two button throws are things with positives and negatives and they're an important design decision that could benefit or detract from a game. That being said, they're not what Guilty Gear should have.

• Locked thread