Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Mr. Peepers posted:

I decided to try out the game because hey, F2P and I have no self respect so why not? I make an Imperial agent and start rolling through the newbie zones, and eventually get tired of spamming the key for my basic attack so I ask in chat if there's a way to turn on autofire for the ability. So this happens (my name is Drickson):

:stare:
I should note that I never mentioned WoW, or EA, or game fees, or anything like that. Literally all I said before that chat log starts is "can I set abilities like Rifle Shot to autofire?". Now for all I know Wichid's last message is right and having no autofire makes sense further into the game than level 5 but jeez.

I asked in general chat "Are speeders like mounts from WoW?" in the "a thing that makes you go places faster" sense. In about thirty seconds everyone started complaining about Pandaren, Diablo's RMAH, Starcraft 2, and on and on and on and on. It was really weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Simon Draskovic posted:

I asked in general chat "Are speeders like mounts from WoW?" in the "a thing that makes you go places faster" sense. In about thirty seconds everyone started complaining about Pandaren, Diablo's RMAH, Starcraft 2, and on and on and on and on. It was really weird.

If you want a really fun time, go to a Fleet and say that the game's PVP sucks because there's no real Warsong Gulch style Capture the Flag.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Eltoasto posted:

What is the best method of pimping out my lowbie alts? I hear about stuffing high level mods into legacy stuff but not sure how exactly it works. I think I have legacy headgear/chest/mainhand kits.

The legacy kits can be cashed in at vendors for level ~15 gear with awesome stats for the level. Birthright gear is similar, but cashed in in the 30s. Bind on Legacy gear can be bought and swapped around even after you stuff mods in there, so if you're getting tank gear from ops as a DPS, you can pass that on to an alt that way.

You can use planetary commendations to buy mods and pass them onto alts, no legacy gear required. Easiest way to do so, especially if the alt gets to a planet overlevelled.

Rand Ecliptic
May 23, 2003

Jesus Saves! - And Takes Half Damage!!
Can someone explain to me how equipment works in this game? I searched the GTN for a new blaster pistol, level 1-24, and literally didn't find one. Someone told me that I should buy some level 1 pistol and upgrade it all the way until 55. So I'm to stick with the same equipment and just upgrade it? How does that work? I don't understand the different levels or types of equipment. What's adaptive equipment? And why is there PvP gear? Do people switch out of their regular gear when queuing for war zones? What's the point of that?

Why is the equipment system so needlessly convoluted? I'd prefer just earning my stuff though mission rewards like I've been doing, gradually upgrading older gear.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Rand Ecliptic posted:

Can someone explain to me how equipment works in this game? I searched the GTN for a new blaster pistol, level 1-24, and literally didn't find one. Someone told me that I should buy some level 1 pistol and upgrade it all the way until 55. So I'm to stick with the same equipment and just upgrade it? How does that work? I don't understand the different levels or types of equipment. What's adaptive equipment? And why is there PvP gear? Do people switch out of their regular gear when queuing for war zones? What's the point of that?

Why is the equipment system so needlessly convoluted? I'd prefer just earning my stuff though mission rewards like I've been doing, gradually upgrading older gear.

Adaptive armor and anything that's orange (Custom) in general is equipment that you upgrade. As you level up, you'll find, make, or buy mods, armorings, barrels, hilts, crystals, etc, and these can go into these adaptive/custom items.

You can have the same weapon from level 1-55 if you'd like, just changing out the parts.

PVP gear is something that only matters in the late game, because Expertise before then is not to common. You'll find that every MMO nowadays has PVP gear.

You can safely play only upgrading from quest rewards, not using any oranges, though you might be a little behind stats wise. Remember that every flashpoint has at least a few orange items that are pretty good.

Edit: as to why you didn't find a blaster pistol, you probably put in a stat (which breaks the GTN) or a rarity beyond Orange.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Rand Ecliptic posted:

It's not too confusing, but it's very poorly explained and they've been top-loading a few additional things on there recently that I'm not familiar with. But just to go over the basics:

- Any gear with orange text (and a few with purple text but don't worry about that) is moddable, which means you can add in various parts that contribute stats to it or change the color of weapon effects, as well as remove those parts for a variable cost; what they mean by a "level 1 blaster" is likely a moddable one of any level, because as long as the parts you're putting into it are good enough, the stats will be good enough for any level.

- There are three types of armor weight (naturally, all classes are meant to wear a certain type of armor): Light, Medium, and Heavy. There's also "Adaptive" which means it can be worn by anyone and there's no worry of potentially losing stats as long as the parts you put into it are good enough. All adaptive gear as far as I know is moddable, and typically any special sets of gear (like anything bought from the cash shop) is adaptive.

- Like World of Warcraft and a few other MMOs, PvP gear has a specific stat (here called "Expertise") that just makes you better at PvP-related things. So people who play both PvE and PvP will have separate sets of gear for either.

You can still do what you're doing with just upgrading your equipment over time through mission rewards, most of this stuff you're hearing about is pretty much just for endgame anyway.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Rand Ecliptic posted:

So let's say you're level 24 and want to upgrade your custom blaster pistol. Modifications come at odd levels so what you'd want to do is go to the modification commendations vendor for the planet you're on (Tatooine?), and buy a level 23 barrel, mod and enhancement. Make sure you buy the right barrel and mod for your class, Agents/Smugglers use Cunning (purple) Troopers/BHs use Aim (blue-green). It'll be 7 commendations for the barrel, two each for the mod and enhancement, for a total of 11 commendations. Open the blaster pistol and pop the modifications in and you've got an item of Blue quality for 11 commendations (minus the color crystal, which you'd need to buy off the GTN and can probably ignore). If you had cybertech, you could make the modifications yourself.

You can definitely play with the quest greens you get, but as you play you will pick up orange gear, and if you take the time to upgrade your orange gear you will be levelling in blue-level items and have an easier time of it.

You might even already have an orange pistol. I think all classes get an orange weapon on the first planet, I know sith warriors get a custom saber and smugglers get a custom pistol.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
That being said, the best way to get moddable gear is just to run Flashpoints. Barring that, once you finish a planet, either find the comm vendors on the planet or go to the ones on the fleet and buy as much as you can with however many planet comms you've got. Usually that's adequate to gear up for the next planet.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Speaking for myself, I don't like doing anything other than healing in groups, so flashpoints were out for me while I levelled my Warrior, so I found that Cybertech plus commendations was the best solution for me. Every 4 levels I would craft 8 of the blue armor mod for my level and spend my planetary commendations on mods, enhancements and a hilt, so I had a fully modded loadout all the way through.

Rand Ecliptic
May 23, 2003

Jesus Saves! - And Takes Half Damage!!

Reveilled posted:

So let's say you're level 24 and want to upgrade your custom blaster pistol. Modifications come at odd levels so what you'd want to do is go to the modification commendations vendor for the planet you're on (Tatooine?), and buy a level 23 barrel, mod and enhancement. Make sure you buy the right barrel and mod for your class, Agents/Smugglers use Cunning (purple) Troopers/BHs use Aim (blue-green). It'll be 7 commendations for the barrel, two each for the mod and enhancement, for a total of 11 commendations. Open the blaster pistol and pop the modifications in and you've got an item of Blue quality for 11 commendations (minus the color crystal, which you'd need to buy off the GTN and can probably ignore). If you had cybertech, you could make the modifications yourself.

You can definitely play with the quest greens you get, but as you play you will pick up orange gear, and if you take the time to upgrade your orange gear you will be levelling in blue-level items and have an easier time of it.

You might even already have an orange pistol. I think all classes get an orange weapon on the first planet, I know sith warriors get a custom saber and smugglers get a custom pistol.

Edit: Seriously, I think I get it now. Awesome :)

Thanks for the help (from every who responded, that is. I appreciate it). I'm still a little lost, though.

I'm at the Fleet, at Tatooine's mod vendor, and all I see (for Smugglers, which I guess should only be concerned with Cunning) is a Skill Barrel. No Skill Mods or Enhancements. I went and looked at Taris and Nar Shaddaa, and it's the same thing. Nar Shaddaa does sell a low level Skill Mod not worth my time, but I'm not finding any Enhancements, except for "Rage."

And you mentioned things being color-coded per class, but I don't see that. Everything is the same color (blue), no matter what stats the item is boosting.

I searched the GTN for enhancements that offer +Cunning, level 1-55, and didn't find any results. Cunning Enhancements don't exist?

I found a level 23 Skill Barrel. So where do I find the level 23 Mod and Enhancement appropriate for my class? Or is there not a new barrel/mod/enhancement every two levels?

On a slightly different note, so as long as I have a orange (mod-able) weapon, I don't really ever need to worry about getting a new weapon? I'll just keep upgrading this one forever?

Edit: Uno mas. In 24 levels I haven't picked up any orange armor. I must suck. But I have armor that's labeled in green and some in blue. What's the difference?

V V V Thanks. That makes sense now.

Rand Ecliptic fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 19, 2013

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rand Ecliptic posted:

I searched the GTN for enhancements that offer +Cunning, level 1-55, and didn't find any results. Cunning Enhancements don't exist?

Enhancements only boost secondary stats (cunning is a main stat). As a smuggler, you'll want to look for + power and + surge enhancements mostly

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

Gimme yer frickin pancreas

I needs it for reasons.
I did this shortly before dyes were added, but I'm pretty proud of my Scoundrel's current get-up:

Very Ellie Driver/Kill Bill and yes, I am using Sparkles. I wish it had the laser sight that my Grek does since I have a Silver-White in there, but the antique feel worked too well. It was hell finding pants that actually showed as white with that loving top though.

If I spent half the time I spend playing pretty princess dress-up actually leveling, I'd have everything to 55 by now.

And by mod colour, they mean the actual icon background. They're colour-coded to class. It's really handy when you batch craft for a bunch of alts.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Rand Ecliptic posted:

Edit: Seriously, I think I get it now. Awesome :)

Thanks for the help (from every who responded, that is. I appreciate it). I'm still a little lost, though.

I'm at the Fleet, at Tatooine's mod vendor, and all I see (for Smugglers, which I guess should only be concerned with Cunning) is a Skill Barrel. No Skill Mods or Enhancements. I went and looked at Taris and Nar Shaddaa, and it's the same thing. Nar Shaddaa does sell a low level Skill Mod not worth my time, but I'm not finding any Enhancements, except for "Rage."

You'll get "patron" rather than "skill" mods, barrels and armors for most of the time levelling from the coms vendors.

This is the Tatooine vendor on the fleet (all blacked out because my smuggler's only level 13), though I realise now if you're 23 you want the Nar Shadaa vendor as these mods are 25 and 27.

quote:

And you mentioned things being color-coded per class, but I don't see that. Everything is the same color (blue), no matter what stats the item is boosting.

This is what I mean, the difference should be clearer side by side:

You want purple stuff, except enhancements which have a different colour scheme and while you're levelling more or less boils down to "take whatever is the same level as you, power if you have a choice".

quote:

On a slightly different note, so as long as I have a orange (mod-able) weapon, I don't really ever need to worry about getting a new weapon? I'll just keep upgrading this one forever?

As long as you like the look, yes. My Warrior was running around in Thul Statesman armor for a while until I got a Warrior's Chestguard which looked better, and so I stripped out all the modifications and put them in the new item, which I think looks better.

quote:

Edit: Uno mas. In 24 levels I haven't picked up any orange armor. I must suck. But I have armor that's labeled in green and some in blue. What's the difference?

Other than orange items (which are defined by the colors of their parts), items generally come in three colours, green, blue and purple. Think of it like this, green items are the ones you get from doing quests at your current level. A blue item is about two levels better than an equivalent green item, so if you've got some blue level 23 boots, they're about the same as green level 25 boots. Purples are about two levels better than a blue item of equivalent level, so a level 23 purple is like a level 25 blue, or a level 27 green.

An orange item full of blue modifications is the same as a same-level blue item.

EDIT: Oh, and you get a full set of orange armor on the imperial side from the bonus series heroics on Balmorra, so I'd figure you probably get the same thing from the Taris bonus series heroics on the Republic side?

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 19, 2013

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Rand Ecliptic posted:

Gear comes in 5 'color grades'. Assuming you have 4 different versions of the same item:

White gear is the bare-bones version and has no bonuses.
Green gear is the "uncommon" version and usually has 1-2 bonuses.
Blue gear is "rare (prototype?)" and has more/better bonuses than green.
Purple gear is "legendary" and will have the best stats.

Orange gear is somewhat special: The gear itself has no inherent stats, instead it takes on the stats of the mods and enhancements you put into it. This is why you can use your newbie custom pistol/saber/whatever to endgame, because as you upgrade the mods in it the actual level of the weapon goes up, increasing its stats.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Bit of Crafting/Reverse Engineering info for the newcomers -

When you're buying blue or purple gear that's crafted on the GTN, the "prefix" in front of the item (for Earpieces, Implants, Armor (non orange), Weapons (non orange)) is important to look at too. Basically, the way crafting works you have a base item that can be reverse engineered to find a better version (a blue version), of which there are three different options that add a different stat. After that, each blue version has 5 different purple versions. Some prefixes make the item pretty pointless, so crafters will want to look for a "ideal" version of each item.

For example - I wanted to make the level 54 "best" earpiece for my Scoundrel with my Cybertech. So I started with the Advanced Nano Equipped Power Device (+105 Cunning, +105 Endurance, +49 Power, +46 Alacrity). I created a bunch of them and began reverse engineering. I learned the "Redoubt" blue version, which was useless because it adds +Defense to the item in addition the the current stats. Eventually, I learned the "Overkill" version which added +54 Power. Once I learned that version, I made them and reverse engineered until I got the Expert Nano Equipped Power Device, which added +62 Surge to the other stats. I also learned the "Commanders" version, which adds presence (pretty much useless at level 54), and the "Rampart" version, which adds +62 Shield - which is completely useless because Scoundrels can't even use shields.

I tend to follow the rule for my implants/earpieces that Expert = Best for DPS and sometimes Heals (+surge,+power), Vehemence for healers (+power, +alacrity), and Veracity = Best for tanks (+defense, +shield)

I wish this game let you "hide" useless recipes, because I have so many of them. :(

Tier 1 (Blue) Prefixes:

Critical: +Critical
Redoubt: +Defense
Overkill: +Power

Tier 2 (Purple) Prefixes:

Critical: +Critical

Leadership: +Critical/+Presence
Tempest: +Critical/+Shield Rating
Fervor: +Critical/+Accuracy
Endowment: +Critical/+Surge Rating
Supremacy: +Critical/+Alacrity

Redoubt: +Defense

Exactitude: +Defense/+Accuracy
Anti-Armor: +Defense/+Surge
General: +Defense/+Presence
Veracity: +Defense/+Shield Rating
(Missing): +Defense/+Alacrity

Overkill: +Power

Vehemance: +Power/+Alacrity
Rampart: +Power/+Shield Rating
Commander: +Power/+Presense
Expert: +Power/+Surge
Hawkeye: +Power/+Accuracy

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I knew the generals of that stuff, but thank you for the post, nice easy to read summary and list.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Yeah I remember trying to RE everything as an Armormech on my Trooper. :gonk:

Makes me glad that Biochem is straightforward. Green -> Blue -> Purple, no variants (and sometimes you skip the green too).

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
How are Snipers in endgame? Or, is there a current rundown on each class and how they perform?

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Psyker posted:

How are Snipers in endgame? Or, is there a current rundown on each class and how they perform?
Snipers are awesome in end-game.

Not sure what the exact breakdown is, but Marauders are top dog in melee DPS and Snipers are the best ranged DPS class. Most classes are within very close ranges of each other (Something like ~3% difference).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

All are AC roles are viable at end game with the possible exception of ops dps.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Psyker posted:

Snipers are very good at the moment and probably the ideal ranged dps to bring to a raid.

Marksmanship: Easy to play, energy-efficient, very good for rapid target-switching encounters. Reliant on being in cover almost all the time, but the extra-effective Entrench means you can often use that to ignore mechanics where other classes might have to move around. Orbital strike is also improved and some people recommend using the 2-piece PvP set bonus to take advantage.

Engineering: Difficult to play, requires melee range and rapid cover/noncover switches to maximize potential, excellent AoE capabilities. For very specific fights this will be the highest dps by a fair margin, but I wouldn't run it for learning new encounters.

Lethality: Easy to play, there's a set rotation around using Cull on cooldown that you will almost never deviate from. Somewhat dependent on the 4-piece PvE set bonus for optimal energy management. Not as cover-dependent as Marksmanship since you can apply your poisons / cull without dropping into cover.

Lethality/Engineering hybrid (taking Interrogation Probe) is also viable, the rotation is trickier than pure Lethality and energy is harder to manage but it plays in about the same style otherwise.

(As mentioned in the OP you can check TORParse to see how the average dps breaks down between classes. Some of the classes have outliers like the one operative who can put out 3000 dps and everyone else is a few hundred behind.)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

WarLocke posted:

Yeah I remember trying to RE everything as an Armormech on my Trooper. :gonk:

Makes me glad that Biochem is straightforward. Green -> Blue -> Purple, no variants (and sometimes you skip the green too).

Yeah Biochem (Stims, Medpacs, and Adrenals), as well as Artifice (Enhancements and Hilts), Armstech (Barrels) and Cybertech (Mods and Armorings), and all Augments are all a straight Green > Blue > Purple path.

I basically play with the assumption that you're going to be using orange gear and upgrading armoring, mods, enhancements, barrels and hilts so there is no point in wasting time reverse engineering armor and weapons that will be obsolete within a few levels.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, you should never need to actually make a weapon as Armstech unless you like the model of a high level orange.

Armor professions might want to make companion armor though, since keeping them updated in orange can be tough.

WhiteBoyShuffle
Nov 1, 2004
I am sure I will be playing again, stopped just before Rise of the Hutt Cartel, was thinking of going Merc Bountry Hunter this time. Was powertech on my main, but wanted to go healing rather then dps. My question, with Mako as Merc, should I leave her as heals and just dps stuff down when not healing in FPs?

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

WhiteBoyShuffle posted:

I am sure I will be playing again, stopped just before Rise of the Hutt Cartel, was thinking of going Merc Bountry Hunter this time. Was powertech on my main, but wanted to go healing rather then dps. My question, with Mako as Merc, should I leave her as heals and just dps stuff down when not healing in FPs?

Stick with heals if you're tanking. It's slower but you'll never die (this is from trooper experience).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Can you buy expansion with in-game currency? I've been considering coming back to see that content. I think I have around $15 worth of in-game currency though and never did spend it.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 20, 2013

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
I just started playing this and I am having fun so far, I have a Trooper/commando and I have been looking for a guide with suggested talent builds but I haven't had much luck. Is there a recommended way to build the Commando for pve and damage? I have been putting points into Gunnery so far but I was thinking I would level as a healer to help me get into flashpoints but had no clue as to its viability (both for healing and for levelling).

Also got My first legacy level unlock, what are the unlocks I should be buying? can you screw yourself by unlocking bad stuff? I don't want to have to grind since so far levelling has been really smooth and I have actually enjoyed playing. I used my first set of points on the speeder unlock, letting me get it at an earlier level (10 I think).

Oh is there a dual speccing option or is one being implemented? That would make things easier.

Hoboskins fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 20, 2013

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Hoboskins posted:

Oh is there a dual speccing option or is one being implemented? That would make things easier.

The closest thing to dual spec right now is that you can legacy unlock field respec which allows you respec anywhere. If you're a subscriber, this is free. I'd love to see a real dual-spec, but I am skeptical that we will because it means less people paying for respecs and the above unlock.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

WhiteBoyShuffle posted:

I would pay the 200k for field respec, and level as DPS with Mako healing. Change over to heals when you are in a Flashpoint (or just stay heals and use Combat Support cylinder - you'll probably be able to get away with that until at least Taral V/Boarding Party, maybe more now that all mercs get Kolto cloud.)

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Hoboskins posted:

I just started playing this and I am having fun so far, I have a Trooper/commando and I have been looking for a guide with suggested talent builds but I haven't had much luck. Is there a recommended way to build the Commando for pve and damage? I have been putting points into Gunnery so far but I was thinking I would level as a healer to help me get into flashpoints but had no clue as to its viability (both for healing and for levelling).

Also got My first legacy level unlock, what are the unlocks I should be buying? can you screw yourself by unlocking bad stuff? I don't want to have to grind since so far levelling has been really smooth and I have actually enjoyed playing. I used my first set of points on the speeder unlock, letting me get it at an earlier level (10 I think).

You'll be just fine all the way to 55 as a healer commando, and the Trooper's first tank you get on Nar Shaddaa is one of the most memorable companions. Commando healing is mostly channeled abilities for big heals, and using Supercharge Cells to get yourself a brief period of mega-healing for "Oh poo poo" moments. Learning to juggle keeping the party up and when to use Supercharge Cells is fairly intense, but pays off quite well. This thread on SWTOR.com has a pretty good introduction to the role. I like using the second spec in the list.

As far as good Legacy unlocks, the biggest one I'd recommend is the Rocket Boots and its upgrades. It'll save you tons of time in places you can't ride your speeder. The second choice I'd pick (since you already got level 10 speeders) is improved legacy-wide Quick Travel times. It's 75 coins per rank for 225 total to cut your Quick Travel time by 20% to 24 minutes, which is something you'll use your whole leveling career and applies to all your alts. After that, getting the quick travel to capital planets is important and only costs 20k credits. Then, on a per-character basis, get the quick-travel to your ship ability for 50k credits. You'll save tons of time with it, especially at the end of quest chains on planets. Ship mailbox and ship vendor droid are other great buys and don't cost too much.

In terms of value for your Cartel Coins, if you've been playing a while and have tons of alts or sell stuff on the GTN often, the GTN kiosk on your ship is a great buy since it's only 900 coins for a value of 5,000,000 credits, which is two months of free coins if you've been subbed. You'll save tons of time from having to go back and forth from the Fleet, especially with the ship mailbox.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Man, Coruscant sure does have some poo poo bonus quests. At one point I had "kill guild forces 0/30" and "kill guild forces 0/45" running at the same time, for different bits of a single area, and kills in one area would not count to the other area's counter, requiring me to kill seventy five of those fuckers (plus ten and fifteen each from part one of each of those quests for a total of a hundred). There's nothing like this on Dromund Kaas. Also I can already tell Coruscant is going to make me sick of Nar Shaddaa immediately given the similar theme. And just as a bonus every other game of PvP I play republic side is Huttball for some reason I cannot fathom, which is giving me flashbacks to imperial side on release.

Still, it's a nice change for the Dark Side choices to to occasionally be representing pragmatism instead of puppy killing, and I really like the female smuggler's voice acting, as well as the lines themselves; they really captured the Han Solo archetype pretty well. Not missing the British accents as much as I thought I would, but still nostalgic for Space Blighty all the same.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That stuff is why I did PvP until I out leveled a planet.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

I said come in! posted:

That stuff is why I did PvP until I out leveled a planet.

Yeah, I'd probably do the same but I've noticed that PvP queues during the week on my server really drop off about 11pm, so if I'm playing after that it's wait 5-10 minutes for a Warzone or go do quests. Which is a shame because I really love PvP healing and it's pretty much the only thing I like doing in groups in MMOs.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Reveilled posted:

Yeah, I'd probably do the same but I've noticed that PvP queues during the week on my server really drop off about 11pm, so if I'm playing after that it's wait 5-10 minutes for a Warzone or go do quests. Which is a shame because I really love PvP healing and it's pretty much the only thing I like doing in groups in MMOs.

Why not queue for warzone and run missions until you level to where you want then cut bait and just to class whenever (or however) you hit the magic number for the planet.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I was one of the dumb butts that bought this game outright at release. I hated it and put it down. Now I'm back for revenge.

I don't know poo poo about it really, so I have a basic question: At what level should I start giving a poo poo about what I'm doing? When it comes to MMOs, I find the low levels to be pretty boring, but generally enjoy the middle- and endgame.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

robotsinmyhead posted:

I was one of the dumb butts that bought this game outright at release. I hated it and put it down. Now I'm back for revenge.

I don't know poo poo about it really, so I have a basic question: At what level should I start giving a poo poo about what I'm doing? When it comes to MMOs, I find the low levels to be pretty boring, but generally enjoy the middle- and endgame.

Once early, when you pick your specialization. But I suppose you should sort of care about gear upgrades and whatnot all the way through. Then, pretty much you ride it out till 55.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

robotsinmyhead posted:

You should at least have an idea of what you want to play - Tank, Heals or DPS. You'll have to pick your advanced class at level 10ish, and that can't be changed. Most ACs can do one of two roles, either Tank/DPS or Heal/DPS, with the exception of Marauder/Sentinel and Sniper/Gunslinger, who can only DPS (and therefore are the highest DPS classes).

Other than that, how hardcore you want to get about the game depends on when you want to start grouping with other players. If you play it like a solo game until 50, doesn't matter too much what you do, just upgrade your gear here and there. When you start grouping...then you need to learn a bit more.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Eh, not really.

I'm geared up entirely in the greens from quest rewards, and am far too lazy to swap mods out on my gear. Once something gets outleveled, I throw it out, and put in the green I just got.

For quests, whenever my option is a mod or a planet comm, I'll always grab a planet comm, even though I have 100 of the things already, because I'm far too lazy to go to Fleet to grab some gear for myself/companions.

I've yet to find a single Datacron, or honestly give a poo poo at all, and I still don't know what augments are, neither do I care.

Oh, and since I'm Preferred, I'm always on level with what I'm fighting.

Doesn't mean I don't cut through everything in the game, can still outtank/outheal all the pubbies in FPs, and be top of the list in all the WZs I join.

You can be remarkably uncaring about how things are going in this game, and still get a free pass.

e: I mean, I'll have to shape up if I want to do 55/HMs/Ops I assume, but until that point it doesn't seem very challenging.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

So I thought I'd come back and check out the game again. I left right before they went F2P, and holy poo poo their model is insulting. I should have known coming back to this game would be painful when the first thing I see after logging in is a loving table showing the 20+ variations between a paying and preferred account. I logged back in on my agent and saw he had his headgear showing, and the option to hide it is disabled until I get a subscription? :rolleyes: That's pretty drat ridiculous, but whatever it's not exactly game changing.

Then I open my inventory. I had a bunch of cash saved up on my character (I don't remember exactly how much), but now I'm down to the capped 350,000 for untermensch preferred players. Ignoring what I think about capping how much currency you can have on their F2P model, why the gently caress would you take away cash from people you want to return to your game? I guess I should be happy, because at least they were up front about how much they want to dick you over until you pay them a sub fee. It just boggles my mind that their big F2P model is designed around pissing you off and irritating you, especially if you've played previously. My "return" lasted all of 5 minutes, so good job on your business model!

Edit: I guess my question is, did I just get a really bad first impression or is everything else with the game going to be a lesson in frustration if I attempt to play without a sub fee?

vv It's hard to even look at it like that when they straight-up destroyed currency because I didn't have a sub when they established their credit limit. Thanks for the feedback though, good to know!

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's best to still treat Old Republic as a game that requires a subscription. The only difference now is that it includes an extended demo and it's free to create an account.

• Locked thread