Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paratan
Jan 1, 2008

it's sumo, folks
Happy day 1 natsu basho everyone!

araibira playlist starting from makuuchi dohyoiri

kintamayama
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyXVkiuIiPw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Day 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PJWns6bpWA

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Amazing what Kotooshuu can do when he has a reason to give a drat.

Taking bets on Hakuho's first disciplinary action, because dude still acts like he's about to Asashoryu someone.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
kakuryuu sure did get lucky there. tochiozan had that bout, not sure what on earth compelled him to put himself out.

also, baruto just whipping tochinoshin around like that... it still blows my mind how strong he is. i can't imagine him not making ozeki again eventually if he stays healthy.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Day 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVefcnuYo28

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Cranky old man Hakuho is awesome.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Cranky old man Hakuho is awesome.

I have no idea why nothing is being said about that. Could it be because, unlike Asashoryu, Hakuho has kept a squeaky clean record outside of the dohyo?

I loving hate Kakuryu. He is the destroyer of dreams. So mediocre, but he wins every match where you're really rooting for the other guy.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
I think that Hakuho sees his career entering the twilight and with the promotion of Harumafuji to Yokozuna he sees his days as numbered.

The November basho is especially important to him if you look at his career. In 2006 he sat out the basho due to injury and since then has won six straight. There might be something personal in that basho to him.

In terms of championships he is tied for fourth overall with Kitanoumi at 24 and one behind Asashoryu. He may be making a final push in an attempt to put himself near Chiyonofuji (31) and Taiho (32) before he retires.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
The only thing is that Harumafuji seems always kind of shaky. Maybe if one of the Ozeki doesn't step up over the next year or so there might be no yokozuna around...

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
Day 4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7M5393js0s

No shakiness from Harumafuji today. Made Tochinoshin look stupid with that henka attempt.

Kisenosato and Tochiozan was a hell of a bout, best of the basho so far I'd say. Tochiozan makes it interesting against the big guns almost every basho, but for whatever reason he can't find the consistency to take that next step and become a permanent fixture in the sanyaku ranks. He's only 26, so maybe he could still get there.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
oh and for anyone who is interested, Osunaarashi, the first African sumo wrestler (from Egypt), is currently 2-0 at his highest makushita position yet. If he goes 7-0 he could potentially end up in juryo next basho, but more likely just jump to MS1. Wouldn't be surprised to see him in the sekitori ranks before the end of the year. He's only registered 5 losses in his career thus far.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

The only thing is that Harumafuji seems always kind of shaky. Maybe if one of the Ozeki doesn't step up over the next year or so there might be no yokozuna around...

If Hakuho was out of the picture, I think Kisenosato would quickly make it to Yokozuna. He has the skills and focus to do it. Dude is a Jedi with the mind tricks at the line at the start of every match.

That was the smartest I've ever seen Kotooshu wrestle, being probably the only rikishi tall enough to keep Baruto off of his belt. Course, he's one of the few with a winning record against Baruto, so he clearly has him figured out.

What a demolishing throw by Harumafuji. I thought the henka had him, and a split second later he destroyed Tochinoshin.

Edit: Update on Homasho - currently 2-2 from J14. Doesn't look good for getting back to Makuuchi soon so far...

Fryhtaning fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 15, 2013

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
What a great toss by Harumafuji! Too bad for Baruto though.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
There hasn't been a boring day yet! Really good basho so far.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Uncle Jam posted:

Lately, yeah. In his run up to yokozuna with the consecutive zensho yusho he looked pretty much infallible.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Day 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUFNwx5wSnw

Harumafuji HAS to be injured or something

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Unsuprisingly, Kotoshu found himself on the dohyo once again wondering what the hell he's supposed to do there.

Also, Harumafuji, what is up with him?

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

a false posted:

Lately, yeah. In his run up to yokozuna with the consecutive zensho yusho he looked pretty much infallible.

He's a ballistic missile while Hakuho is a killing machine. Sometimes the missile misses, sometimes it causes a level of destruction like none other.

Harumafuji has lost to Myogiryu and Tochiozan, both current sanyaku and both viable Ozeki candidates down the road, so the losses aren't totally shocking. He destroyed Tochinoshin the day before in a way no injured wrestler could. I'm thinking we're finding out more and more how spoiled we've been with Hakuho and Asashoryu. If Harumafuji mixes 9-6 records with some completely dominating performances for several years, he'll go down as a fine Yokozuna.

Kotooshu looked fine in the first 4 matches, especially against Baruto. I think Myogiryu just attacked so ferociously that he couldn't respond.

Goddamn, this is hard to watch - my two favorite rikishi trying to fight their way out of Juryo. Hell of a match, too.
Takanoyama vs Homasho

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Fryhtaning posted:

I'm thinking we're finding out more and more how spoiled we've been with Hakuho and Asashoryu. If Harumafuji mixes 9-6 records with some completely dominating performances for several years, he'll go down as a fine Yokozuna.

This. I've said it before, but Asashoryu and Hakuho were/are two of the most dominant yokozuna in hundreds of years of sumo. The requirements for yokozuna are not particularly strict, you just need to be an ozeki who is consistent and lucky enough to put together two consecutive tournament wins (or an "equivalent" performance). You don't need to have a 90% win rate like Hakuho.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

Mechafunkzilla posted:

This. I've said it before, but Asashoryu and Hakuho were/are two of the most dominant yokozuna in hundreds of years of sumo. The requirements for yokozuna are not particularly strict, you just need to be an ozeki who is consistent and lucky enough to put together two consecutive tournament wins (or an "equivalent" performance). You don't need to have a 90% win rate like Hakuho.

Yeah, I came into following the sport with Hakuho killing everything so even though I now understand it's unfair to hold all yokozunas to that standard it's still like, "WHAT'S UP WITH HARUMAFUJI?!"

What does Baruto need to do to regain Ozeki? Also, I'm still rooting hard for Masunoyama, anyone performing at his level with a hosed up ticker is always gonna be a great guy to cheer for.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Funkysauce posted:

What does Baruto need to do to regain Ozeki? Also, I'm still rooting hard for Masunoyama, anyone performing at his level with a hosed up ticker is always gonna be a great guy to cheer for.

I think he needs to do what any non-Ozeki sanyaku rikishi would have to do at this point, which is amass 30 wins over the course of 3 basho. Also, I love Masunoyama and his spirit but I would really like for him to get his heart ailment fixed because when he eventually keels over and dies post-bout it's going to be a huge bummer.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

a false posted:

I think he needs to do what any non-Ozeki sanyaku rikishi would have to do at this point, which is amass 30 wins over the course of 3 basho. Also, I love Masunoyama and his spirit but I would really like for him to get his heart ailment fixed because when he eventually keels over and dies post-bout it's going to be a huge bummer.

Yeah, he has a shot if he goes 10-0 the rest of the way, which would give him 30 in the last 3. That would include beating both Yokozuna. So, not likely this time. If he can build on last time (9) and win 10 this time, then he could get back with 11 in the July basho and be an Ozeki for September.

Speaking Ozeki watch, Goeido now needs to go 8-2 the rest of the way to be an Ozeki himself. Slightly less uphill battle than for Baruto for this basho and the next.

Komusubi must be Japanese for "Piss Boy", because that is where mediocre maegashira go to have their dreams dashed like a skateboarder's brains on concrete. I still have no idea what Okinoumi is doing there, but he looks laughable. Tochiozan is completely outmatched as well. Looking at historical records, it's hilarious how consistently bad the Komusubi do in a basho.

It's kinda like:
Yokozuna - you are the loving man
Ozeki - you are the man
Sekiwake - you're trying to be the man, but you're not there yet
Komusubi - you got too greedy as a maegashira, so we're temporarily giving you a glimmer of loving hope before everyone else stomps on you
Maegashira - just get your 8 and don't make any waves

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Unless it's changed or something, it still was 33 wins over 3 tournaments for promotion to ozeki as far as I remember.

As far the komusubi, it's probably something to do with the fact that they need at least two of them at all times. Looking at the records of the past couple of years, one thing that jumps out is that the ones get a winning record almost all have made it to ozeki at some point. Most of the others seem to be promoted to komusubi when they fluke a winning record in the high maegashira ranks and there's some spots open, only so that they can call themselves former komusubi after retirement instead of former maegashira 2 or something (i.e. the Takamisakari-crowd).

Take the situation after the last basho for example: Myogiryu at M2 did a 8-7, Okinoumi 11-4 at M7, it's the only reason I can come up with as to why they stuck Okinoumi at komusubi. It's not as if being ranked M1 means you're going to face a different line-up anyway.

Running total for the last two years: 7/24 komusubi made kachikoshi, with a special mentioning of Myogiryu who was the only one in 2012 that did. Furthermore, going on what Sumoreference has in its database, komusubi have only won the yusho on 8 occasions since 1910.

Digger
Sep 22, 2005

Digger T. Turtle
I'm going to be in attendance on Wednesday, a complete first time experience. What can I expect throughout the day? I understand the main men don't start until later in the evening. Is there any up and coming future stars to keep an eye out for?

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

Digger posted:

I'm going to be in attendance on Wednesday, a complete first time experience. What can I expect throughout the day? I understand the main men don't start until later in the evening. Is there any up and coming future stars to keep an eye out for?

I've been twice to the Osaka tournament. The fights start at something silly like 10AM, but I wouldn't show up before 2 o'clock, especially if you're on a tighter vacation schedule. You can bring food and drinks inside. Getting drunk with friends and putting 100 yen bets on matches is fun. Enjoy!

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Digger posted:

the most hyped guy outside of the top 2 tiers is almost certainly Osunaarashi, currently in the 8th position in the 3rd tier (makushita). he's the first African professional rikishi and he's barely lost since entering the ranks. a lot of guys flame out around that position but he's started this tournament 2-0 and his form keeps improving. i'm not sure if he'll be wrestling the day you're there. another guy I like in the makushita ranks is Masutoo, a Hungarian who has been powering back up the ranks after taking a year off. Makushita might be his peak but he's fun to watch.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Day 6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnbRfLBVrEc

Harumafuji's spidey-sense is strong this basho.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.

Just Winging It posted:

Harumafuji's spidey-sense is strong this basho.

gently caress Aran

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

TotallyGreen posted:

gently caress Aran

Nah, that was enjoyably cheeky. Especially the second attempt.

Still looking good all around, although Baruto is going to need to completely restart his Ozeki hopes if he doesn't get it in.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.

Uncle Jam posted:

Nah, that was enjoyably cheeky. Especially the second attempt.

Still looking good all around, although Baruto is going to need to completely restart his Ozeki hopes if he doesn't get it in.

That wasn't a bad attempt, all things considered, and I wouldn't be pissed if it was anyone else. But you don't get to say "I will never do this again" and then do it repeatedly. Once you say "never again", you should be done, or at least only do it once in a blue moon to keep people off balance.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

TotallyGreen posted:

That wasn't a bad attempt, all things considered, and I wouldn't be pissed if it was anyone else. But you don't get to say "I will never do this again" and then do it repeatedly. Once you say "never again", you should be done, or at least only do it once in a blue moon to keep people off balance.

Its not like he's hair pulling and getting away with it or something like that. If its too un-sumo for the sumo association they should make a ruling about it. We don't even know if he was the one that wanted to say that or someone else told him to say it to calm people down.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Day 7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFsch6qmUS0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtONXNYvBD4 Poor Baruto. If you slow it down to .25x you can see his foot slip to a bad angle with a lot of pressure on it at :16. He needs to take a couple tournaments off and really let that sucker heal.

Omnikin fucked around with this message at 12:32 on May 18, 2013

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Nice bout between Baruto and Kisenosato there. Shame Baruto gets injured once again .

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Welp, now I'm depressed.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
What's the big nipple-looking thing in the middle of harumafuji's chest? He put a big tape on it for day 8.

Speaking of Harumafuji, he just steamrolls the poo poo out of Toyonoshima on day 8. Holy moly that was good.

Kikkoman fucked around with this message at 09:55 on May 19, 2013

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Day 8

Okinoumi and Kakuryu was one of those matches even someone who doesn't understand sumo could really appreciate. So many close calls. Wow.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sunday 5/19 drat Harumafuji went right for the face that was intense D:

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
To me it seems like a bitch move, he didn't even touch the ground at the beginning. Just moved his hand downwards and then Toyonoshima was in the first row of spectators :lol:

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
I'm pretty sure it's in the rules that you have to touch the ground with both hands before you can charge. It seems like Harumafuji got just low enough to fool the judge!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Usin his knuckle hairs like whiskers