Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Our cat has been blessedly healthy and free of problems, but I think she might have fleas now? The main reason I suspect this is that the cat's been grooming herself an awful lot recently on my bed, and a couple of days ago I woke up with the most annoying bug bites on my legs, which have since turned into red, irritated rashes. My guess is that the two are connected, but I have so little experience in these matters that I just don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

How do cats handle open windows/balconies in tall buildings anyway? They don't jump do they? :ohdear:

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Umph posted:

How do cats handle open windows/balconies in tall buildings anyway? They don't jump do they? :ohdear:

Depends on the cat. I lived in a high-rise apartment building where all the apartments were L-shaped, and one of our neighbors had a cat that would routinely jump from the bedroom window on one leg of the L through the louvered kitchen window on the other leg. I can't remember what floor they were on, but it wasn't the first or second.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
If the cat has a reasonable belief that it can make a jump from point a to point b just fine, it will jump. Regardless if the gap is on the first floor, or the hundred and first floor.

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

So the kitten came back from the vet yesterday. He's a total man whore, and sits on my shoulder purring as I walk around the flat.

I called him rufus because I found him on the roof!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Do you guys think Motor is getting a little tubby? He has a bit of loose skin/fat in the lower part of his belly. Hopefully you can see here.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Thanks guys - you possibly just saved my cat's life.

I thought my cat possibly had constipation, she'd been trying to use her tray a few times today and produced nothing. I start to get a bit worried, and look at this thread. An hour later, she's seen by the vet, who says it's a really bad case of cystisis, meds ahoy, and the big warning at the start of the thread might just have saved her life.

Thankyou.

e: Could I suggest that the first big siren warning should be followed by 'get pet insurance NOW'? Due to a spate of bad luck, my cats been at the vet's every week for the last 6. Without insurance, I'd be skimping on her care by now.

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 18, 2013

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
My fiancee and I got two kittens about three months ago named Spaz and Chloe. Spaz is now around 6 months old and Chloe is around 8 months. Recently we've been running into some issues and I just want to see if anyone has any advice.

If we don't keep the door to our bedroom open Chloe will cry and scratch at the door for about 15 minutes every few hours and wake us up. When we let her in she's not a terrible bedmate (she demands to get under the covers and is often restless though). Spaz however loves to either stick his nose right in our faces/ears (mildly annoying) or viciously fight our feet/hands/anything that moves under the covers (Painful and frustrating). This combination makes it very difficult to get/stay asleep. Spaz is actually totally ok to sleep outside of the bedroom, except that he apparently doesn't want to be alone so if we let Chloe in we have to let Spaz in or he will cry at the door too. We've tried yelling and spraying him with water and it only seems to work for a short time and then he's pouncing on our feet again. Tiring them out before bedtime doesn't work reliably.

So far we're considering putting a heavy blanket just at the foot of the bed to protect our poor mauled feet. Also considered trying a citrus spray but I doubt that will work on Spaz, he is really really hardheaded. Sometimes when you spray him with the water bottle he just looks at you and clearly doesn't give a poo poo.

I've also considered just spraying Chloe with water when she cries at the door but that feels kinda mean.

I don't know if this matters, but we got them both spayed and neutered two months ago and Spaz honestly seems to have had some behavior changes. Since the day after neutering he's been more physically aggressive when playing. Is that normal?

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

Umph posted:

that's the reason I've been so paranoid, I've known other cat owners with cats who have either completely launched themselves off the balcony, tried to navigate a ledge and just toppled, or other mishaps. Not the norm, but I'm still a new cat owner so all these stories have me thinking that my cat will attempt something stupid and fall :ohdear:

edit: I was under the impression before I owned a cat that they were graceful and have perfect balance, now I know it is so not true.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

petrol blue posted:

Thanks guys - you possibly just saved my cat's life.

I thought my cat possibly had constipation, she'd been trying to use her tray a few times today and produced nothing. I start to get a bit worried, and look at this thread. An hour later, she's seen by the vet, who says it's a really bad case of cystisis, meds ahoy, and the big warning at the start of the thread might just have saved her life.

Thankyou.

e: Could I suggest that the first big siren warning should be followed by 'get pet insurance NOW'? Due to a spate of bad luck, my cats been at the vet's every week for the last 6. Without insurance, I'd be skimping on her care by now.

Good on you for noticing the warning signs and taking action! I'm sure your cat will show her appreciation by hating you for taking her to the Scary Needles Place. :3:

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Cat boundary issues
If you want them completely out of your bedroom at night, you can try putting a vacuum outside your room and feeding the cord under the crack of the door, then turn it on and leave it unplugged until your cats start wailing at the door. Eventually they'll associate the scary noise with their racket/interrupting your sleep and stop. Compared to opening the door and spraying her with some water, this is a more indirect approach and reduces the risk your cat's going to hold a grudge against you.

When my boyfriend's roommate's cat is being an aggressive douche and hurting me, or generally doing something I really don't want him doing and saying his name sternly doesn't stop him, I make a loud PPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSST noise at him, which usually throws him right off and discourages him, and I feel like he's less prone to sulking than if I just yelled at him, he usually just finds something else to do. v:shobon:v

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Shine posted:

I can't tell if this is about catnip or marijuana or breakfast :psyduck:.

I'm sorry if this was answered and I missed it but yeah, cat grass. You can buy pots of it at stores or just packets of seeds (you might as well just get these; it's super easy to grow yourself). Our guy loves it. We have to grow it outdoors because otherwise he would eat at all at once and barf it everywhere. I bring in the planter from the porch and he goes nuts.

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

Clavietika posted:

If you want them completely out of your bedroom at night, you can try putting a vacuum outside your room and feeding the cord under the crack of the door, then turn it on and leave it unplugged until your cats start wailing at the door. Eventually they'll associate the scary noise with their racket/interrupting your sleep and stop. Compared to opening the door and spraying her with some water, this is a more indirect approach and reduces the risk your cat's going to hold a grudge against you.

When my boyfriend's roommate's cat is being an aggressive douche and hurting me, or generally doing something I really don't want him doing and saying his name sternly doesn't stop him, I make a loud PPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSST noise at him, which usually throws him right off and discourages him, and I feel like he's less prone to sulking than if I just yelled at him, he usually just finds something else to do. v:shobon:v

That is a great idea. We have the same problem with our cats scratching at the door and we have lived with it for several years but about 3 months ago we got a Ssscat sprayer and placed it just outside the door. It has a motion sensor and releases a puff of air that makes a hiss noise that keeps the cats away from the door. At first I was worried about problem behavior related to the aversive stimulus but they have figured it out and know the boundaries now and haven't engaged in any new problem behavior. I do like the vacuum idea better because though because the ssscat cans are getting expensive.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
I just buy a cheap spray bottle and fill it with water spiked with a bit of vinegar. A few good shots to the rump learns a Bad Kitty right quick what behavior isn't gonna fly with me. Often I just have to pull it out and give a warning shot and they knock off whatever crap they're trying to pull.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I never had a problem with my cats sleeping in my room. 2 at the side 1 on my feet.

a Big important thing is that 1. you make very clear to the cats when it is sleep time, even if they do not sleep they will likely not bother you. 2 provide a cat bed nearby (on a dresser prehaps) where the cat can both be near you and also not disturb you.

Since the big thing seems to be one attacking your feet, when he is attacking your feet under a blanket you could try snagging him with your feet and dropping him gently off the bed so he gets that Doing that is bad.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!
I use this with my cats:

Now all I have to do is point it at them and they run. Whistling foam darts work like a charm!

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

How Ingratiating! posted:

I use this with my cats:

Now all I have to do is point it at them and they run. Whistling foam darts work like a charm!

I was looking around for spray bottles, for some reason I'm having trouble finding empty ones, but this would be so easy to get. Thanks for the fantastic idea! (I'm thinking water gun)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I regret getting my cat a harness. He's FIV and we thought it would be a nice treat to take him out to the pathway/alleyway out back now that the weather is getting better, but ever since his very first outing a couple weeks ago he now spends the day mewing constantly, hanging around the front door and trying to climb out any window that has the merest suggestion of being open. Before we took him out, he was fine, but now that he's seen the Outside World he wants to be in it all the time. Subsequent walks just seem to make it worse, it's a little heartbreaking but also really annoying.

So we've decided to give it a miss for the time being and let him cool off for a few weeks. But we might not take him out again - I'm kinda hoping he forgets there's anything out there :smith: He doesn't behave on the walks anyway. He loves exploring but just gets super-pissed if we try and keep him away from a certain spot (like a pile of dogshit or a gap in the fence), and then the scratching and biting begins. rear end in a top hat.

But on the plus side! He does get some experience of the outside world :) We have a balcony and and air vent that we converted into a cat tunnel before we brought him from the adoption centre. I got some netting to close a portion off (partly because our neighbour has a cat that sometimes hangs around on the balcony and we don't want it contracting FIV, partly because I'm paranoid he'll jump off). We're next to a busy road so there's plenty to smell and see, and pigeons to watch.

However he soon discovered he could chew through the netting and escaped a couple of times to the neighbour's balcony (there's a note for people: cat balcony netting might stop them falling but it's not chew-proof) so I was forced to make a new enclosure out of random crap I salvaged from the streets of London. I finished it this morning and he is now doing his darnedest to escape like he used to, but the little rear end in a top hat is getting nowhere this time <:mad:>

Have some terribly low-quality pics:

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Corridor posted:

That is the sweetest little tiny precious in the whole world, but why are you asking the internet when you work at a vet clinic?

I don't want to detract from all the cute babbies and sick kitties, but is there no one can advise me here? The vet just said FEED HER SCIENCE DIET when I asked, and I don't know what else to do about her. I do not want my cat to die of fatness. :smith:

No more free feeding, if you're doing that. Measured amounts at particular times a day. You can get a portion controlling / scheduled feeder to help you with that. Not all dry food is created equal, and there are plenty of options that are high in protein and lower in McDonalds. Mine get Merrick Before Grain Chicken, and I've also had success with Blue Buffalo, Natural Balance, and Castor & Pollux. What are you feeding now? If science diet, obviously get something less corny.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Hey guys, I need some grooming advice (for my cat). I've got a 17 year old cool tuxedo dude who hurt his back recently. Since then, his fur has started to get a bit matted and dirty since he has trouble reaching all around. I would brush him, but his fur has gotten thin and somewhat patchy. Is there some kind of wipes or other option for him?

I was hoping he would take a liking to the kitten so she could help him, but that sure didn't happen :catstare:

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

I don't mind the cats sleeping on the bed. They usually leave in the middle of the night to sleep elsewhere. I considered upgrading from a queen to a king until my girlfriend called me out on just wanting more space for our cats to lay next to us.

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
Win a cake for the motherland.

hooah posted:

He's shorthair and doesn't have much around his butt, so this seems unlikely. I've noticed that his anus kind of protrudes, and my wife's parents had a cat which had to have its anal glands "expressed" every so often, so she thinks that might be the case. Does that sound accurate? Is that something we can do ourselves, and if it is, would we want to?
My cat had started leaving skid marks on the carpet, so I took him to the vet. Apparently his anal glands were impacted and needed to be expressed. Oh my god, the stench. Hours later and that cat STILL stinks like infected diarrhea. It is not something that I would ever do myself or ever want done in my house.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Comrade Cakewalk posted:

My cat had started leaving skid marks on the carpet, so I took him to the vet. Apparently his anal glands were impacted and needed to be expressed. Oh my god, the stench. Hours later and that cat STILL stinks like infected diarrhea. It is not something that I would ever do myself or ever want done in my house.

Guess what I get to do on a regular basis at work? :v:

We have a grooming spray that we spray on their butt to mask the smell, I'm surprised they didn't use it on him.

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
Win a cake for the motherland.
Vet wiped him with some floral smelly wipe thing. So i guess technically he smells like infected diarrhea sprayed over a lovely bouquet. Of course he has decided to chill in my bed all day. A good cat.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

Comrade Cakewalk posted:

Vet wiped him with some floral smelly wipe thing. So i guess technically he smells like infected diarrhea sprayed over a lovely bouquet. Of course he has decided to chill in my bed all day. A good cat.

This made me laugh and laugh, but I am truly sorry for you and I sincerely hope karma never catches up to me.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Haha, we regularly express anal glands where I work. Afterwords we scrub their butts and spray some dog perfume all over it. The worst is when you're trapped in a room the size of a closet with the owner and you have to keep a straight face like it doesn't smell.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Shnooks posted:

Haha, we regularly express anal glands where I work. Afterwords we scrub their butts and spray some dog perfume all over it. The worst is when you're trapped in a room the size of a closet with the owner and you have to keep a straight face like it doesn't smell.

I try to joke about it a bit if I can.

If it's really bad, we use a gauze pad with a mild chlorhexidine solution then use the groom-aid spray. Normally for the gland expressions we take the animals to the back room or even into the grooming area and do it in the tub (and then give them a full bath). It seriously is the worst smelling thing to come out of an animal barring some gross abscess or yeasty ear infection.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

So something odd, but benign just happened to my 7 year old male neutered long-hair cat. He has suddenly grown these super long tufts of fur behind his ears. They're about an inch longer than all the surrounding fur near the ears and he seems to have noticed them too as he's always trying to clean them. Is there a reason why he suddenly developed these long tufts of hair behind his ears? No changes in diet or housing. Maybe it's just an aging thing?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I gave up on the expensive $800 cat idea and went to the local humane center to scope out a kitty. The one I'm interested in has had a few stomach problems in the past, had about eight teeth removed, and requires I/D prescription food, which is apparently pricey. Are any of these things red flags to stay away?

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Nuts and Gum posted:

I gave up on the expensive $800 cat idea and went to the local humane center to scope out a kitty. The one I'm interested in has had a few stomach problems in the past, had about eight teeth removed, and requires I/D prescription food, which is apparently pricey. Are any of these things red flags to stay away?

How old is he? Old/adult/sick cats don't get adopted as much and tend to languish in shelters forever...or get gassed. If he's sweet and you like him and he likes you and you can afford to shell out monies to care for him, go for it. He needs a home. If you can give that to him without breaking your bank or sanity, then go for it.

Adult cats aren't as cute and are poo poo out of luck most of the time :smith:

If you decide to adopt him, get pet insurance so when/if he gets sick or hurt you aren't boned for thousands of dollars up front and have to euthanize him over a treatable condition.

Edit: I had all of my cat's teeth removed because he has feline stomatitis, he gets along just fine gumming everything to death. Missing teeth isn't a big deal with cats, he can still crush kibble/prey with his jaws and in case he gets out he'll use his claws to defend himself.

E^2: As for his gut problems, I'm not a doctor but some animals just have really sensitive systems. I/D may be prescription stomach food but it's really really good for them regardless, and it's all you'll need to feed him ever. The store bought food more often than not is the equivalent of eating nothing but mcdonalds and charcoal briquettes...wood ash and "meat meal" are primary ingredients of a lot of pet foods.

Minarchist fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 19, 2013

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Yeah, I went in with the intention of getting an older cat, and I planned on buying good food anyway. Thanks for the input, I might have to go pick him up tomorrow :3

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Minarchist posted:

While 8 weeks is pretty young, they need to be acclimated to humans ASAP. That means taking them into your home and playing with them and keeping them away from feral mom. They might need kitten formula still, but not for too much longer. The babies are still young and impressionable enough to be good house cats.

They'll probably have fleas and god knows what else. If you have other cats, find a way to keep them quarantined from the kittens until you can have a vet check them out. You can give them a warm bath with soapy water to help get rid of some of the fleas since a lot of topical flea prevention products are toxic to the juvenile animals.

As for mom? If you manage to get a live trap and get her in it, you can get her fixed then re-release her into the wild. She can hunt for food on her own and defend herself. She may not live more than a few years, tops...but if she's feral she's not adoptable at all.

Edit: If you handle any of these animals, wash your hands, before, after, and wear gloves in case they get aggressive. Don't try and catch mom barehanded unless you want to shell out for a doctor's visit and antibiotics from the scratches and bites you'll get.

Thank you so much for this advice. I am a little nervous about doing all of this (I'm expecting a baby in a few weeks), but I absolutely cannot ignore them. I've taken care of a newborn baby plus kitten litters before, so I know I can physically do it. And I would have plenty of help from my partner. Fostering has always been something we've wanted to get into anyway, so I kinda see this as the Universes way of getting me to start a little earlier than expected.

I've been trying to come up with a way to quarantine the kittens before I bring them in. I have two other very curious house cats, and a lack of extra room in this house. So I'm thinking the basement would be perfect, but there's no freakin' doors to the basement (this house is old and oddly built), so I'm trying to think of a cheap way to board off a section of the basement. Plus it stays really nice and cool down there. As for mom, she's definitely feral or extremely uninterested in meeting me. I'm going to call around on monday for trap and release information. I'm not sure if that's something I can just do, or if I need some kind of license, or if any vets around here would even participate in that. I'd definitely try it if I can though, because it'd be way cheaper and humane in the long run, rather than her giving birth to multiple litters in my garage 'til she kicks the bucket. I just have to work out the details and then hopefully in awhile I'll be able to post some kitten pictures!

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Pedestrian Xing posted:

Hey guys, I need some grooming advice (for my cat). I've got a 17 year old cool tuxedo dude who hurt his back recently. Since then, his fur has started to get a bit matted and dirty since he has trouble reaching all around. I would brush him, but his fur has gotten thin and somewhat patchy. Is there some kind of wipes or other option for him?

There is! There's generally just called "pet wipes". You can find them at any pet supply store. Combine those with a slicker brush and you'll be all set. How bad is the matting you're talking about? Depending on the severity you can either snip them off yourself or it might be best to have a vet do it.

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

My cat has been acting weird ever since I woke up this morning. She was fine last night. I noticed initially this morning she was walking like she was scared with her back kind of hunched up, but thought this was normal since she usually does this with our new cat because she hates her and wants her to go back to the shelter. Usually she will chill out and tolerate her, though. I decided to put new cat in a room just to see if other cat would chill out. Well, she is still walking around hunched, but not all the time. She will come up to me and get petted like usual and then start crying and meowing, almost like she's in pain. I can't seem to figure out if this is the case or not. She is still eating and climbing around like normal, but is not as friendly and has this hunch back thing going on. When she stands from a lying position, she keeps her back end lower and her back is hunched. Google tells me this could be a belly ache, but I'm not sure if this an emergency or if I can just wait until tomorrow. Basically, can someone help me determine if this is an emergency and what else could possibly be going on?

edit: I just scratched her head and she was fine, but as I worked my way down her back she began to tense up and as I reached the part of her back by her tail she shrieked and growled and tried to get away from me. This is making me think it is not just a belly ache. Right?

thebehaviorist fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 19, 2013

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Is your cat spayed and when was she spayed if so?

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
If something like this has been posted, please let me know which page:

I'm moving from New York to Florida at the end of next month and was wondering if anyone had experience with long distance car travel with cats. I've only done this before with a dog so I'm not sure what to do, besides use a sedative from the vet. Is it better to stop halfway at a hotel or just go straight through (I won't be the only driver)? I told my vet about it and he mentioned the sedative but it seemed he didn't have actual first hand experience in driving 1000 miles with a cat.

What made it easier for you? What should I avoid? How much vomit should I expect?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Coconut Indian posted:

If something like this has been posted, please let me know which page:

I'm moving from New York to Florida at the end of next month and was wondering if anyone had experience with long distance car travel with cats. I've only done this before with a dog so I'm not sure what to do, besides use a sedative from the vet. Is it better to stop halfway at a hotel or just go straight through (I won't be the only driver)? I told my vet about it and he mentioned the sedative but it seemed he didn't have actual first hand experience in driving 1000 miles with a cat.

What made it easier for you? What should I avoid? How much vomit should I expect?

Back maybe two-three pages, look for Shine.

Content question, since I got my cats a year ago, An has gone from the White Cat to the That Cat is Not loving White.

Edit: They were a year old upon adoption.

Is this normal?

At humane society last may:

My Lap in January:

On the porch in the sun:

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 20, 2013

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
Thanks! In terms of hotel stays since someone mentioned cat death traps, if I plan on using a larger carrier (like for a medium sized dog) should I keep her in there overnight at the hotel lest we spend hours trying to get her from underneath a bed? I don't like the idea of keeping her cooped up but I also don't want to get on my hands and knees on a hotel floor.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Coconut Indian posted:

Thanks! In terms of hotel stays since someone mentioned cat death traps, if I plan on using a larger carrier (like for a medium sized dog) should I keep her in there overnight at the hotel lest we spend hours trying to get her from underneath a bed? I don't like the idea of keeping her cooped up but I also don't want to get on my hands and knees on a hotel floor.

Check the room and make that decision (Some rooms have flush bedframes, or get a cat harness and leash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZippoGuy
Dec 18, 2005

Some say the world
will end in fire...
I'm just helping it along
College Slice

toplitzin posted:

Content question, since I got my cats a year ago, An has gone from the White Cat to the That Cat is Not loving White.

Edit: They were a year old upon adoption.

Is this normal?

White kittens can often not actually be white cats. Siamese are especially like this.

Kitten:

Cat: