Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

osietra posted:

The one thing I don't like about Frozen Synapse is that it's almost too good, apart from the UI clusterfuck, which is a necessary evil.

And aesthetically, (being totally objective) it has a serious gleam, which basically means its been burnished by artisans who care.

I personally find it bloody surprising how much detail the models have when you zoom in so much unnecessarily. They didn't need to give them even close to that much detail for the game to look and play as it does typically (ie. seeing it at the distance you do) but they did anyway. It's a nice if not very confusing touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

Allan Assiduity posted:

Is Worms 2: Armageddon any good? It just came down to 69p according to Appshopper, was wondering if it was worth playing or if it's just not worth playing? Noticed that it seems to float around £3 normally.

It's alright, and it supports async multiplayer. It has a large install size though, something like 500mbs if I remember correctly.

Pray For Death fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 19, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If anyone is on the fence about starting Puzzle & Dragons, for the next 24 hours there is a "Godfest" in which some really good poo poo will be available if you're lucky with your first few rolls.

On the flip side, if you want to see a bunch of us spend a shameful amount of money on IAP, check the P&D thread for the next 24 hours!

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

Ok I'm totally stuck in [b]Year Walk[b/]. I don't want to look at an FAQ for fear of spoiling something, so can someone give me like, a small hint of what to do?

I'm at the part where I just found the four dead babies, and got the fire. I took the fire to the cave, and I found the six markings that look like some of the marks on the trees.

Am I supposed to use those markings as a code? Do I visit those trees in a certain order? Not all of the symbols that appear in the cave appear outside, or am I missing some trees outside? I realize that the tree symbols have to do with the things I've encountered already like the babies and the horse...getting close?

Any small hints would be great!

Edit: Ok so I thought maybe it had to do with the order in which I met those things, which would give me numbers. I got the numbers 4523? or 4223? I thought maybe that'd be the code to the box at the beginning but no luck there.

aherdofpenguins fucked around with this message at 13:42 on May 19, 2013

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Pitnicker posted:

Thanks to this thread, I picked up Adventure Bar Story for free. Based on the name I thought it was gonna be another Kairosoft watch-numbers-get-bigger affair (which I am totally burned out on). I was quite pleased to find instead that it's a quirky JRPG where you manage a tavern and go out and battle monsters to get ingredients for your food. It's an utterly bizarre mash up of gameplay styles. You eat food to level up, but also sell it in your tavern. You need to strike a balance between leveling your characters which will allow you access to new areas with harder monsters and better ingredients, and introducing new items on your menu to level up your tavern and progress the story. It's really dumb but kinda fun in its own way and certainly worthwhile for the grand admission price of $0.

If you haven't played recettear yet you really should check it out on steam when it goes on sale.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

aherdofpenguins posted:

Ok I'm totally stuck in [b]Year Walk[b/]. I don't want to look at an FAQ for fear of spoiling something, so can someone give me like, a small hint of what to do?

I'm at the part where I just found the four dead babies, and got the fire. I took the fire to the cave, and I found the six markings that look like some of the marks on the trees.

Am I supposed to use those markings as a code? Do I visit those trees in a certain order? Not all of the symbols that appear in the cave appear outside, or am I missing some trees outside? I realize that the tree symbols have to do with the things I've encountered already like the babies and the horse...getting close?

Any small hints would be great!

Edit: Ok so I thought maybe it had to do with the order in which I met those things, which would give me numbers. I got the numbers 4523? or 4223? I thought maybe that'd be the code to the box at the beginning but no luck there.

Its for the grave stones on the way to the church later. As for the dark cave/cabin thing: look for the trapdoor.

Edit: have the companion app handy. It's a lot more than it initially seems.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

Sad lions posted:

Its for the grave stones on the way to the church later. As for the dark cave/cabin thing: look for the trapdoor.

Edit: have the companion app handy. It's a lot more than it initially seems.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Ok thanks!

I read the companion app over, I'll keep it in mind though for later.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

aherdofpenguins posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Ok thanks!

I read the companion app over, I'll keep it in mind though for later.

You'll know when it's important.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Frozen Synapse is great but man is the server hosed at the moment.

Also multiplayer Ace Patrol is sweet too. It reminds me of multiplayer XCOM which makes me happy because it reminds me I get iPad xcom soon.

Pitnicker
Apr 6, 2004

Hello iOS thread. It's time for Part 2 of Pitnicker's ongoing series:

Awesome Games on iOS that Look Like Total rear end!

This week we're going to be looking at Tumulus of Fen, an old school turn based dungeon crawler, currently on sale for FREE! If you grew up playing the Ultima Underworld series, Dungeon Master, or the more recent Dark Spire, you'll have an idea of what to expect here. The entire game is basically a massive, labyrinthine dungeon crawling with baddies. You roll a character (and yes, you literally roll the character's stats), and choose from the archetypal Warrior, Cleric, Rogue or Wizard, and dive in.

The game is old school in every sense of the term. It throws you right into the thick of things and even from the get-go the monsters are tough. When you're full up on loot, it's time to pull up your map, turn your rear end around, and struggle your way back to the surface. It's got all the trappings of classic RPGs: a featureless maze of a dungeon, monstrous mimics masquerading as treasure chests or town portals, monsters that will ambush you when you're badly injured and trying to rest, and a single humongous dungeon that goes down for dozens of floors.

One thing the game is to be lauded for is its sound design. The different baddies stalking the halls all have their own groans, moans, and roars, and they grow louder as you draw nearer to them. They sound downright creepy, and once you're a few floors down and the fights have gotten tougher, hearing the unknown growl of some new abomination will definitely set you on edge.

As an example of what the gameplay's like, last night I'd just gotten my wizard down to the third floor and reached level 6, giving me access to a whole new tier of spells. So excited was I to get my new spells I definitely had thrown caution to the wind a bit and exhausted pretty much every spell I had. I memorized my new scrolls and went about setting up my camp. This entailed finding an area of the dungeon I'd cleared out so the risk of being smushed in my sleep was lower. I found a nice corridor which would minimize the chance that a baddy would stumble across my frail sleeping body. At either ends of the hall, I set up Runes of Binding which have a 75% chance of trapping a monster if they walk over the rune (many a time I've woken from a nap to find a giant centipede glaring at me from inside a warp bubble). After I'd set up my runes, I cast a Rune of Safety which makes me 50% harder to find when sleeping, and after gobbling down some rations I went to sleep, feeling like a kid on Christmas ready to wake up and unwrap a whole new badass set of spells. Of course this would be the one time my runes and precautions didn't work, and instead of waking up with a new set of spells I awoke to a wight ripping out my guts. I had literally no spells to cast, so my poor little half-dead Wizard was gonna have to choose between fight or flight. After running for my life and escaping with a fraction of health, a grim realization overcame me: this floor was incredibly open and there was no other safe place to set up camp, and the wight was standing smack dab in the middle of the only known route between me and the exit. I tried to explore around it and find a safe way upstairs to no avail. If I tried to camp surely I'd be found and killed. My only choice was to go through the wight. Thankfully, one of my Runes of Binding from my failed camp was still up, so I knew I could lure the wight into it and lower its defense. I squared my shoulders, drank every potion I had, and returned to the corridor where the wight awaited. As I'd hoped, upon seeing me he stumbled right into the Rune and was now vulnerable. Once we were engaged in battle, I threw everything I had at him, even the level 1 scrolls gathering dust in the bottom of my pack. He shattered my barrier and nearly killed me with a single hit, I threw up my last shield scroll, a pathetic level 1 spell that could only block 12 damage. Then it happened—it was beautiful—my frail little Wizard, hyped up on heroism potions, landed a crushing blow with his axe, sending the wight crumpling to the ground. With a sigh of relief I crawled around the corner and to the floor's exit. Let me tell you, a crappy 2D ladder sprite has never looked so beautiful!

So if the thought of wandering a featureless maze with dozens of floors with only monsters to break up the monotony starts giving you the nostalgia tinglies, Tumulus of Fen is the game for you! And it's free right now so you've got nothing to lose.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Any tips for the Fungus level on Plague Inc.? I either get eradicated or lose with a small handful of survivors.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.
Any games like I dig it expeditions ? I love that game so much.

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski
Just finished Kingturn RPG [spoiler]no missions showing up past meeting the king at the coast anyways[/spoilers]. Awesome game with lots of content and I'm really sad it's over with, albeit it got a bit easier towards the end (played on King difficulty with 50% minimum respawn rate). My final roster was close to 30 characters which allowed for fun "tech switches". Few more high level items/skills would've been nice but I'm sure they'll have that stuff in their upcoming games.

Pitnicker
Apr 6, 2004

fronkpies posted:

I realize this might be a totally silly question but have you checked out the original I Dig It? Speaking of which, how does the sequel compare to the original, is it worth paying thee times as much?

Edit:

DrManiac posted:

If you haven't played recettear yet you really should check it out on steam when it goes on sale.

Will do, thanks! Though normally I'm not one for JRPGs but somehow the whole recipe/tavern overlay is enough for me to ignore the grind.

Pitnicker fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 20, 2013

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

fronkpies posted:

I think the awesome (but forgotten?) Space Miner is somewhat similar.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

JayKay posted:

Any tips for the Fungus level on Plague Inc.? I either get eradicated or lose with a small handful of survivors.
I did it by getting some transmissions, and blowing my DNA on fungal spores and removing symptoms, so that I managed to get almost every country infected before getting noticed because it takes forever for it to cross borders itself, especially once they start locking down. From there I stopped removing symptoms and concentrated on getting to 100% infection before tipping it over into "uncontrollable zombie hordes and bursting corpses" territory.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

I did it by getting some transmissions, and blowing my DNA on fungal spores and removing symptoms, so that I managed to get almost every country infected before getting noticed because it takes forever for it to cross borders itself, especially once they start locking down. From there I stopped removing symptoms and concentrated on getting to 100% infection before tipping it over into "uncontrollable zombie hordes and bursting corpses" territory.

I did that successfully with everything until nanobots. Doesn't exactly work when everyone's aware of you from square one.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Sad lions posted:

I did that successfully with everything until nanobots. Doesn't exactly work when everyone's aware of you from square one.

This. The game is really easy for like 90% of it. Do things that will spread that don't show symptoms, wait till everyone is infected, then bam, symptoms.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

FLX posted:

I think the awesome (but forgotten?) Space Miner is somewhat similar.

No one here ever forgets Space Miner.

So I'm not what you'd call "dense" or anything, but man I booted up Frozen Synapse and basically just went "aduhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" for about 20 minutes then quit.

In my defense, it was pretty late but... drat. Talk about a heavy curve/UI.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I must be really bad at Plague Inc. I always end up with a country that just manages to hold out. :smith:

Or I infect everyone but run out of DNA trying to hit total organ failure

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Jose Valasquez posted:

I must be really bad at Plague Inc. I always end up with a country that just manages to hold out. :smith:

Once everyone's infected, you can turn off most of your "contagion" symptoms for a small DNA refund and then pump it into "lethality"

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Jose Valasquez posted:

Start out with a country that's a big hub of international travel like Saudi Arabia or one with lots of land borders with a huge population like China.
Failing that, start out in Madagascar because screw those guys. You know what I'm talking about.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

How to win Plauge Inc:

1) Develop transmission traits
2) Don't develop anything with any lethality at all, even a little bit. Devolve if you get one randomly
3) Wait until everyone is infected. You'll be invisible until you become lethal.
4) Evolve all the lethality stuff now. Everyone's dead. You win.

This applies to almost every plague type, too. There's only a few that this won't work with.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Pitnicker posted:

Will do, thanks! Though normally I'm not one for JRPGs but somehow the whole recipe/tavern overlay is enough for me to ignore the grind.

I will go one further to say that if you see the gameplay videos and like it enough, getting it at full price if you are able to play it now will still be worth it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

osietra posted:

The one thing I don't like about Frozen Synapse is that it's almost too good, apart from the UI clusterfuck, which is a necessary evil.

And aesthetically, (being totally objective) it has a serious gleam, which basically means its been burnished by artisans who care.

ABS is a pretty neat little game. I put a few hours in to it on my phone before I got distracted by other things. It just feels like a game that can be imbalanced in or against your favor pretty quickly. I think I was at the 2nd or 3rd location when I stopped, and the difficulty did feel like it was starting ramp up pretty solidly.

I still need to play through Recettear though, which is apparently similar but better overall. Bought it a year or so ago on sale and still have a total of 2 minutes playtime. :v:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Funkmaster General posted:

How to win Plauge Inc:

1) Develop transmission traits
2) Don't develop anything with any lethality at all, even a little bit. Devolve if you get one randomly
3) Wait until everyone is infected. You'll be invisible until you become lethal.
4) Evolve all the lethality stuff now. Everyone's dead. You win.

This applies to almost every plague type, too. There's only a few that this won't work with.

The key to this that I was missing to bat Virus was to only devolve lethal stuff. I had been devolving everything so that nobody noticed the disease until everyone was infected, but that resulted in me running out of DNA at the end.

Once I beat Virus Fungus was a piece of cake

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Feenix posted:

So I'm not what you'd call "dense" or anything, but man I booted up Frozen Synapse and basically just went "aduhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" for about 20 minutes then quit.

In my defense, it was pretty late but... drat. Talk about a heavy curve/UI.

Watch the tutorial videos and you'll know basically everything, the game is simpler than it looks. You should give it another go. Think of the waypoints like a timeline and place the orders on that line where and in what order you want them to happen.

Quick tips:
-You can move the enemies around, too, giving them the orders you suspect they will carry out. This way you can test whether you'll win a firefight or not. This is tremendously helpful. Simulate simulate simulate before you commit.
-Who wins a firefight is based on "time to react", which is affected by whether or not the unit is moving and aiming. A guy who comes around a corner will usually get slaughtered by the guy who is standing still on the other side.
-If you don't want a guy to get in a firefight he'll probably lose on his way to where he's going, give him a "continue" order AT HIS STARTING POINT.
-Also, don't forget to give him a "cancel aim" order if he was previously aiming, or he'll continue to strafe slowly.
-Half cover gives an advantage if the enemy is at least twice as far from it as your unit is. Also, you can duck your unit behind the cover to remove him from line of sight. If it's a "dark" game (with fog of war) he won't be able to see over it either.
-There are some extra orders that appear when you hit the "ORD" button, and I don't get most of them, but "check" is very useful.
-Don't hit the red circle thing in the top left, it will matchmake a game for you instantly. Not sure why it doesn't at least ask for a confirmation click.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
I don't know why they replaced the PC tutorial with a youtube tutorial. Just replace the text of the talking head with iOS stuff.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
As someone who played Frozen Synapse before, I really like the iOS UI. It feels fast and precise. Sometimes you have to zoom in, when you want to move waypoints that are close together but that's what the zoom functionality is for anyway. Also remember that underneath the play/prime button area there are buttons to select the "next unit" and "previous unit".

Edit: the YouTube tutorial videos are really bad/fast though.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 09:57 on May 20, 2013

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
Ignoring their misguided OUYA hopes, Monster Realm looks like it might have potential. Anything to expand iOS's critically thin stable of not-quite-Pokemon games.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

Ignoring their misguided OUYA hopes, Monster Realm looks like it might have potential. Anything to expand iOS's critically thin stable of not-quite-Pokemon games.

This is a really weird kickstarter.

quote:

$120,000 goal
days to go

quote:

Pledge $20 or more:
19969 of 20000 left.
For early backers only! DIGITAL DOWNLOADABLE COPY OF MONSTER REALM. This limited price point is only available for the first backers of MONSTER REALM.

quote:

In the story, there's a fun "Star Wars" element that's inspired by the "Jedi order," in Monster Realm we have the Guardian Order. These guardians are protectors of the normal human world, and the Monster Realm, which is a fantasy parallel version of the normal world.

Also they're launching on Ouya and then hoping to expand to android? What?

Nothing about this sounds quite right.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Anyone got any recommendations for some "games-as-art" titles like Hope:the other side of adventure or Year One (tried it, got frustrated but keep meaning to try again with it) or a puzzle game called Trauma. On a possibly related note, any opinions on a title called Haunting Mellissa?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

^^^ You mean Year Walk, right?

Dunno that Haunting Melissa game, but I'm deeply wary of anything with FMV. Let me know if you try it.

Funkmaster General posted:

This is a really weird kickstarter.

Also they're launching on Ouya and then hoping to expand to android? What?

Nothing about this sounds quite right.

Jesus some of that character art is horrifying.

Corridor fucked around with this message at 14:30 on May 20, 2013

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
D'oh, yeah I meant Year Walk.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Anime_Otaku posted:

Anyone got any recommendations for some "games-as-art" titles like Hope:the other side of adventure or Year One (tried it, got frustrated but keep meaning to try again with it) or a puzzle game called Trauma. On a possibly related note, any opinions on a title called Haunting Mellissa?

Try Sword and Sworcery EP, Hiversaires, the Room, Machinarium, the Silent Age.
They're pretty much all adventure games but they take mood/sound design and art very seriously and are all worth experiencing.

Also give realMyst and/or Riven a go if the above list works for you.

Huh, something in my brain is only letting me think of adventure titles here.

Edit: also, I was sorely disappointed with Hope. Whole thing just seemed like a wasted opportunity.

Sad lions fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 20, 2013

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Machinarium is wonderful. I have the OST on my ipod and I'd have giant prints of the art if I could get them cheap. This was on the PC but I assume the port isn't terrible.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Loving Frozen Synapse here. But I'm posting to say that I avoided Space Miner for a long time; I was itching for more hardcore space games and Space Miner looked really cartoony and dumb (and I've never been a fan of Asteroids, which the gameplay is a lot like). But I finally gave in and picked it up a couple weeks ago, and holy poo poo it's awesome from start to finish. Probably on my iOS Games Top Ten list.

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

Corridor posted:

Jesus some of that character art is horrifying.

What the gently caress is wrong with that first woman's eyes? I can't look away.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Nthing the Ace Baron love but man, this game is freaking mercenary. A dollar to speed up injured pilots recovery? Really?

I also would have paid $3-4 for the full game rather than have to pay for each nationality. Imagine if all the old SSI games charged you for playing past mission 5 of 50 Mission Crush.. yeah yeah new models, new paradigms but it's like not only do I need a copilot but also an accountant hanging onto a wing strut, telling me it'll be 99 cents to keep my guns from jamming..

I guess I would agree with the 5 star review from Touch Arcade from a pure gaming standpoint, but c'mon, there are so many IAPs that are an integrated part of the game that it just rankles me something fierce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

Oh good limited inventory space with the ability to buy more. I hate limited inventory systems, they make games worse without adding anything to them. Pokemon doesn't have a limited inventory system, so why clone it with one?

Also people seem to forget that Pokemon has a ton of depth. They got the IV, EV, and nature for stat distribution. You could spend years trying to make the perfect Pokemon. They have pretty balanced move sets for each Pokemon and what moves they can receive through breeding.

• Locked thread