Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

TheJunkyardGod posted:

My Military friend said the same thing. Also he was upset that Obama didn't tell him to come under the umbrella with him.

Seriously, he's a Marine.

In that alternate universe where this happened: "What, does Obumboy want our strong hetero marine to stand so close to him for his homo marine fantasies? IMPEACHMENT PRESIDENT PERVERT."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
If you get linked any umbrella stuff, just follow up with this comic:

And the accompanying article: http://terminallance.com/2013/05/17/terminal-lance-presidential-service/

Seriously, holding an umbrella for the President is undignified, but cleaning a toilet with a toothbrush? A-ok.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
That is skipping past the point however that holding an umbrella over the president is a very common thing that has happened a zillion times, and it's only racist hate-mongering that means Obama is going to get called out for it. It doesn't matter if it's dignified or not (I'd say it is) it's just a Thing that Happens.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.

big business sloth posted:

That is skipping past the point however that holding an umbrella over the president is a very common thing that has happened a zillion times, and it's only racist hate-mongering that means Obama is going to get called out for it. It doesn't matter if it's dignified or not (I'd say it is) it's just a Thing that Happens.

Yeah, the same exact thing happened when a photo came out with Obama putting his feet up on the Oval Office desk. Then everyone came back with photos of every other president doing it, and that was that.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/photos/desk.asp

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Davethulhu posted:

And the accompanying article: http://terminallance.com/2013/05/17/terminal-lance-presidential-service/

Seriously, holding an umbrella for the President is undignified, but cleaning a toilet with a toothbrush? A-ok.

I looked at his Facebook page for responses to this comic, nothing too noteworthy. Sme BENGHAZI, stuff like that, and some pushback.

I did notice that people took issue with that Obama "ranked" enough to call the marine a "boot." They are getting mad at the real Obama for the actions of this fictional portrayal.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Dr Christmas posted:

I looked at his Facebook page for responses to this comic, nothing too noteworthy. Sme BENGHAZI, stuff like that, and some pushback.

I did notice that people took issue with that Obama "ranked" enough to call the marine a "boot." They are getting mad at the real Obama for the actions of this fictional portrayal.

I can only guess at Marine Corps bureaucracy in regards to who gets placed where, but I would suspect that White House duty is considered a cushy assignment in the first place.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Davethulhu posted:

This comic just seems to feed that perception of disrespect, though?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

a foolish pianist posted:

The news post makes his position a lot clearer.

quote:

We’re Marines, if the President of the loving United States asks you to hold a loving umbrella, you hold a loving umbrella. As well, the day I give a poo poo about a boot Corporal holding an umbrella is the day I’ve forgotten what the Marine Corps is. Honestly, holding an umbrella for the President is probably the least demeaning thing I could imagine doing as a Marine, as opposed to the other bullshit I had to do every day. No one would think twice about asking a boot to police call cigarette butts across the entire base at 5am, but the minute this boot has to hold an umbrella for the Commander in Chief, people get upset.

He’s the President, he rates an umbrella.

Get over it.

The artist/writer of Terminal Lance doesn't have a particularly rosy view of the military.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

1stGear posted:

The artist/writer of Terminal Lance doesn't have a particularly rosy view of the military.

Of course he doesn't, he's a member.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

So it appears that one of my Alex Jones-loving friends is also a neoconfederate. This fine macro he just posted contains a shout-out to Nathan Bedford Forrest, who I'm sure the maker chose to include for completely not-racist reasons.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Had the president actually done that, it would have been far more "disrespectful" than holding an umbrella, and yet it wouldn't be a blip on the radar compared to the stuff low ranking military go through.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

ProperGanderPusher posted:

So it appears that one of my Alex Jones-loving friends is also a neoconfederate. This fine macro he just posted contains a shout-out to Nathan Bedford Forrest, who I'm sure the maker chose to include for completely not-racist reasons.

Respond with a picture of Sherman, no text.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Davethulhu posted:

Respond with a picture of Sherman, no text.

No no this one, this one!

CowHammer
Feb 18, 2013
Got this posted by a relative:

http://www.personhoodinitiative.com/ectopic-personhood.html

Hey, you might survive an ectopic pregnancy! Guess that settles it. Yes, it will almost certainly rupture and if you don't get to a hospital immediately, you will die. Also, if you do survive, you will be unlikely to ever be able to carry again and if you had aborted it, that wouldn't be an issue. Oh and if it somehow manages to make it to 28 weeks without rupturing your tubes, it has a mortality rate of around 50% within the first week. Good luck!

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay

CowHammer posted:

Hey, you might survive an ectopic pregnancy! Guess that settles it. Yes, it will almost certainly rupture and if you don't get to a hospital immediately, you will die. Also, if you do survive, you will be unlikely to ever be able to carry again and if you had aborted it, that wouldn't be an issue. Oh and if it somehow manages to make it to 28 weeks without rupturing your tubes, it has a mortality rate of around 50% within the first week. Good luck!

This is literal insanity, like too far gone to even recognize how far gone one is.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

musclecoder posted:

Yeah, the same exact thing happened when a photo came out with Obama putting his feet up on the Oval Office desk. Then everyone came back with photos of every other president doing it, and that was that.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/photos/desk.asp

Jesus Christ, that was A Thing people bitched about? I can hear the dog-whistle racism through space and time.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Jesus Christ, that was A Thing people bitched about? I can hear the dog-whistle racism through space and time.

I recall my father-in-law posting that. He also in person talked about how Obama was bowing to foreign leaders. "Every president bows to foreign leaders. Bush, Reagan, Clinton, Obama, they all greeted foreign leaders in the same way." His response was basically "Well yeah, but come on."

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
If Obama does A Thing, people will complain about it. I've come to terms with this and have ceased being surprised.

CowHammer posted:

Holy gently caress.

quote:

the inclusion of a life of the mother exception is a tacit admission that the unborn child is not a person

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 19, 2013

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=boot

I'm guessing "boot" is an informal term that an experienced soldier would call an uppity fresh out of boot camp private to remind him of his position.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

I get tempted to ask why southerners can't assimilate and just be Americans, but I can't imagine anything good coming of it.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Holy gently caress.

quote:

the inclusion of a life of the mother exception is a tacit admission that the unborn child is not a person
The "unborn child" is a collection of cells that has the potential to become a person, but it's not at all unusual for it to not become a person even without any intervention from other human beings. But of course that would be arguing with a pro-lifer as though they cared about the things they were talking about and not about punishing people for having sex.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Guilty Spork posted:

I get tempted to ask why southerners can't assimilate and just be Americans, but I can't imagine anything good coming of it.

The "unborn child" is a collection of cells that has the potential to become a person, but it's not at all unusual for it to not become a person even without any intervention from other human beings. But of course that would be arguing with a pro-lifer as though they cared about the things they were talking about and not about punishing people for having sex.
I know the details but I'm more flabbergasted that they think that a health of the mother clause is a denial of fetal personhood.

The classic Jane English thought experiment against this involves imagining a mad scientist controlling some person to jump out of the bushes and attacking you. They have no control over their actions, and are innocent people, but it's obviously okay to defend yourself, even killing them if necessary. I can't imagine what they'd say to this...:allears:

EDIT: Leaving aside their insane view that it's never necessary, and that they really don't care about these issues, the claim that health-of-the-mother clauses are denials of fetal personhood pisses the ethicist in me off because it's obviously false.

mirepoix
Mar 22, 2009
I'm a marine, my response to seeing people get angry on Facebook about the umbrella thing was basically that comic strip.
That guy's two medals mean he's done basically nothing as a marine, no deployments, and yet he's a corporal, an nco with zero experience in stuff that matters. That's why he's a "boot". Which is fine, it doesn't mean he's a bad person, but he's not some war hero, not even close. And if he was, who cares? I'd hold his umbrella and open doors, it sounds way nicer and glamorous than digging out poo poo-ditches in Afghanistan. I'd carry dick cheney's umbrella if it was my job.

In conclusion, gently caress that boot with his cushy butler job.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I can only guess at Marine Corps bureaucracy in regards to who gets placed where, but I would suspect that White House duty is considered a cushy assignment in the first place.

I wouldn't necessarily say it's thought of as "cushy", at least not by the people that are doing it. Maintaining bearing for the majority of your day is pretty taxing. I can't speak for the Marine side, but I knew an AF guy that was assigned to the White House honor guard and it was not an easy assignment to get. He seemed to take a lot of pride in it and I doubt holding an umbrella for the president would have phased him one way or the other.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

CowHammer posted:

I think the only part that you actually have to read is the author's name. I don't know any ladies called Bill

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

muike posted:

I think the only part that you actually have to read is the author's name. I don't know any ladies called Bill

There are a lot of women that are so self-loathing and living to see 'whores' punished that a lady could have written this.

I got into an argument once with a married man with two daughters about ectopic pregnancies. He explained he was fully against abortion even in that case, because there was no reason for the baby to die. He said he had already told his wife if she was ever in the hospital for this, and the staff told him she would die without an abortion, she was going to die. Better her to die with the baby than murder the baby. I asked him if he felt the same to his daughters; if they were raped, had an ectopic pregnancy, no abortion? No abortion, he said firmly. All abortion is murder, and he proudly said he would rather be a widower with no children than a man with dead murdered grandbabies or babies on his conscience.

I really really hope his wife knows about this.

I remember reading a story in an anthology (thank you Nook for dystopian books!) where an extreme form of Catholicism was the new government in the US. Extreme. As in the story started with a pastor blessing week-old twin girls, and was informed that they did not have enough eggs to be considered 'fertile.' So his orders were to drown them; drowning babies of both genders was totally fine if they wouldn't grow up to have lots of children. Menopausal women were similarly killed. As for everyone else, once you hit puberty you were expected to start procreating, and if your partner wasn't fertile the same day you were, you reported to the high school gym, where you were partnered up with someone who was fertile (and by fertile I mean max production of sperm and egg ready to be fertilized) and expected to get it on right there. Needless to say the fact you were supposed to produce all the kids you could meant that everyone had all the healthcare and babysitting they needed, because if you didn't have at least one baby a year, your life was close to forfeit. BUT EVEN IN THAT STORY ectopic pregnancies were allowed to be terminated, especially if you were rated as 'superfertile.' Even the crazy fuckers in that story felt it was better to be rid of a source of 'never going to produce babies efficiently' than lose the mom, capable of producing more asap.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

CowHammer posted:

This article highlights so much that's wrong with pro-life thinking, I'm tempted to imagine that it's parody. Not only do they act as if life-threatening hemorrhage is no big deal so long as you survive it, they also miss the key point. Ectopic pregnancies that are discovered get aborted!!!! Therefore the ones that actually go on to rupture are necessarily the ones that weren't discovered early, IE the smallest ones. Attempting to extrapolate general mortality if you let ALL ectopic pregnancies go to rupture based on this subset is completely stupid. That is to say nothing of the fact that there is simply no way their data is correct. All of southern Israel experienced only 13 pregnancy related deaths in the span of 23 years?! That is simply impossible to believe.

These people are desperate to find any reason to curtail abortion rights, evidence be damned. Any credible reading of medical evidence regarding massive internal hemorrhage would suggest to you that it's a terrible idea best avoided. If you want to make some sort of puritanical moral argument that the pain is worth it then so be it, but don't try and brush aside the very tremendous downsides and very very small likelihood of upside.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

I think that the following response is most fitting:

~Disbanded 1865. :smug:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Mo_Steel posted:

I think that the following response is most fitting:

~Disbanded 1865. :smug:

Or a picture of Sherman with something to the effect of "bring it"

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Or a picture of Sherman with something to the effect of "bring it"

Just post the Sherman nuclear comic.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Is it just me, or are jokes about nuking the south just as obnoxious as jokes about glassing the Middle East?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
No, not really. At the very least of reasons, no politician has ever legitimately suggested it.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Erkenntnis posted:

Is it just me, or are jokes about nuking the south just as obnoxious as jokes about glassing the Middle East?

Reactionaries should be glad they're spared the guillotine every day of their lives.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Goatman Sacks posted:

Reactionaries should be glad they're spared the guillotine every day of their lives.

It's like liberalism was so successful in the 20th century that capitalists forgot why they passed all that social welfare stuff in the first place.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Erkenntnis posted:

No the Middle East is full of people in an unfortunate situation.

The South is full of white trash salt the earth.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Did you know that erasing the existences of the millions of black and latino people in the South is racist?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Erkenntnis posted:

Yes, it is.

Goatman Sacks posted:

The Middle East is just as socially conservative as the South.

This is a terrible attitude to take. "White trash" is extremely classist. You are literally saying that they are bad people because they are poor - exactly the attitude the conservative Southerners hold towards the Middle East. These "white trash" are inundated with propaganda which puts them in another kind of unfortunate position that they need educating out of, not berating or glassing.

I don't know which are the above were jokes/facetious but it bears saying anyway because some people mean it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Not to mention the south is chock full of tons of amazing people!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

JohnClark posted:

All of southern Israel experienced only 13 pregnancy related deaths in the span of 23 years?!
Are they seriously citing the socialist hellhole Israel, with mandatory universal healthcare, prenatal coverage, preponderance of contraceptives, prevalent abortion of fetuses discovered to have potentially ruinous genetic diseases if birthed, as an example in their favor?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Are they seriously citing the socialist hellhole Israel, with mandatory universal healthcare, prenatal coverage, preponderance of contraceptives, prevalent abortion of fetuses discovered to have potentially ruinous genetic diseases if birthed, as an example in their favor?
American conservatives love Israel, therefore Israel must be the Perfect Conservative Country (TM).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Well, it is the Holy Land.