Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Today I realized what a huge mistake I made by not using a warhammer to kill Grigori. Dont' be like me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Donnerberg posted:

You go there for the fights, the loot and the experience, but you're not really making progress outside of padding your stats. Nothing stays dead. The rooms seem to be randomized, at least to an extent. You can reload a save after entering some of the rooms and there'll be a different group of enemies in there. Difficulty will spike without any real system to it, so you shouldn't force a fight that you're not having fun with. There's always some other chamber to try. If you find it too easy, try to locate the Chamber of Woe and revisit that. I think that's the one with a door directly to an arena where you can get all sorts of bosses, as opposed to the smaller rooms with wolves and harpies and poo poo.

The chamber of Fate is pretty fun... you get a chimera, gorechimera, and lich (that spawns hell hounds). It was really fun and challenging doing it right after finishing the main story, but I imagine now that I've spent 10-12 levels at BBI, it'd be a little easier.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, I got to the 90s before I finished the Everfall because it's kind of fun, like how Bitterblack is fun once you know the tricks or are strong enough to meaningfully combat opponents.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

The toughest one for me was the small room with the gorechimera and like a dozen skeleton sorcerers. Getting zapped over and over was a huge pain, but it's really hard to ignore an angry gorechimera.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Man, apparently killing stuff can attract monsters way out of your league in bitterblack, I just got jumped by an ogre with like 8 lifebars, I could not scratch the drat thing. Had to bug out cause my pawns wouldn't stop dying to it even though I told them to run.

Least I took down the cockatrice(after I lost my main pawn and a pubbies pawn.)

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Man, apparently killing stuff can attract monsters way out of your league in bitterblack, I just got jumped by an ogre with like 8 lifebars, I could not scratch the drat thing. Had to bug out cause my pawns wouldn't stop dying to it even though I told them to run.

Least I took down the cockatrice(after I lost my main pawn and a pubbies pawn.)

Heh, man, that was me a few hours ago... It's an elder ogre, try lightning (ricochet hunter is amazing if it's in a tight space).

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Like anyone can cast something with that thing jumping around and the legion of saurians.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Like anyone can cast something with that thing jumping around and the legion of saurians.

I'm not too familiar with mage/sorcerer skills, but if you grab a magic archer pawn, look for one with ricochet hunter and hope they use it. It's pretty quick to get off, especially if the ogre is smashing other pawns to pieces. And I think I know exactly where you're talking about with the saurians, that's where I first ran into an elder ogre and left that first fight dead and scratching my head. My pawns were yelling "use lightning" and I didn't realize I had something readily available that would work :(

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Pawns can't be magic archer.

If you can maneuver/throw pawns to out of reach places and then keep the ogre distracted, they can get off some spells. You can also try grabbing their face and wailing on it. Frankly my advice is to get a tanky pawn with War Cry or Shield Summon to keep his attention.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Lotish posted:

Pawns can't be magic archer.

If you can maneuver/throw pawns to out of reach places and then keep the ogre distracted, they can get off some spells. You can also try grabbing their face and wailing on it. Frankly my advice is to get a tanky pawn with War Cry or Shield Summon to keep his attention.

Oh crap, you're right, sorry... forgot about that. Then I have no idea, I feel like I'm cheesing my way through BBI as it is, basically finding just the one thing that works for me and I have no idea what other people are doing :)

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Will the game warn me if I am stealing stuff? Or can I just go into a house an pick it up? My pawn certainly doesn't mind doing so.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Unlucky7 posted:

Will the game warn me if I am stealing stuff? Or can I just go into a house an pick it up? My pawn certainly doesn't mind doing so.
There's only one place in the entire game that taking stuff counts as stealing, and that's the Duke's private treasure vault (you'll be arrested if you try to go in, after the first warning). For everything else, no one cares.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Fulmination will pulverize elder ogres if you can give the pawn enough time to cast it. Otherwise they should have enough time to cast Levin, that one has a pretty quick ready time. They tend to spoil Brontide by bunny hopping to avoid attacks, which will dispel the whip. If your character is a male the ogre will focus on you, you can use that to draw it away from your pawns.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Samurai Sanders posted:

There's only one place in the entire game that taking stuff counts as stealing, and that's the Duke's private treasure vault (you'll be arrested if you try to go in, after the first warning). For everything else, no one cares.

Kleptomania ahoy, then!

Zwippy
Feb 9, 2005
Just hit level 117, BBI is blowing me away. I had to take a break after opening the 2nd shortcut. Those random spawns of creatures after killing a bunch of others are amazing. Took out a room of skeletons and BAM 3 big dogs just tore me apart. The only thing I wished they would do is an option for no helm grapics. Got a kickass helm for my pawn but my god its freaking hideous.

If anyone needs a tank pawn add me on PSN: Zwippy. She is set to scather/challenger so she just tears things up! Plus I could use some RC's

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
Thanks to whoever took my mage Cholula out on a run, you decked her out in pretty amazing gear and no longer looks like a nun in a potato sack.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Just picked up Dark Arisen this afternoon, and I'm feeling pretty frustrated. I'm at the Everfall for the first time and I'm just hitting a brick wall trying to get back out. The problem, plain and simple, is the AI. It's dumb as a stump, which works fine outside, but they abso-loving-lutely refuse to follow me up the stairs, so my pawns keep dying and I'd really prefer to keep them alive. The giant is still alive because he knocked my main pawn down earlier, so I had to sprint past everything to rescue him. If it were just me against the infinite enemies, I wouldn't be upset but it feels like the game is railroading me into losing my pawns here.

I gave it half a dozen whacks before dropping it to Easy Mode, tried another few times and got the giant to like half health before he one-hit KO'd my entire party and I went outside for a cigarette. Am I doing something wrong? I was having a blast being Literally Gatts before this, so I kind of hope that I am missing something really obvious.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
Is there a barber shop anywhere besides the one in Gran Soren? I want to change my looks and that on is obviously out of the question now that I'm exploring the Everfall.

Chard posted:

Just picked up Dark Arisen this afternoon, and I'm feeling pretty frustrated. I'm at the Everfall for the first time and I'm just hitting a brick wall trying to get back out. The problem, plain and simple, is the AI. It's dumb as a stump, which works fine outside, but they abso-loving-lutely refuse to follow me up the stairs, so my pawns keep dying and I'd really prefer to keep them alive. The giant is still alive because he knocked my main pawn down earlier, so I had to sprint past everything to rescue him. If it were just me against the infinite enemies, I wouldn't be upset but it feels like the game is railroading me into losing my pawns here.

I gave it half a dozen whacks before dropping it to Easy Mode, tried another few times and got the giant to like half health before he one-hit KO'd my entire party and I went outside for a cigarette. Am I doing something wrong? I was having a blast being Literally Gatts before this, so I kind of hope that I am missing something really obvious.
Just run past the ogre, if you can't kill it no big deal. The Everfall is special in that if your pawns go down on the way out, they will warp to the entrance when get out. Also, don't be afraid to lose pawns, you can get them back easily, their inventories are sent to your storage, and you should be regularly changing your borrowed pawns anyway.

EGSunBro fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 20, 2013

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Is it just me, or is the framerate in Dark Arisen more "unstable" than normal DD? It seems like when nothing much is going on the framerate jumps up much faster than I expected, but if any action is going on, or any complicated spells happen, I get screen tearing and far slower framerates than what happened in DD (except for the mystic knight cannon+sigil trick). Can I fix this by installing the main disk to my hard drive on top of whatever the second disk installed? This is 360 if it matters.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
That barber shop just moved to the edge of the field in front of the pawn guild, didn't it?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Chard posted:

Just book it out, your party should catch up when you zone back into the city. And even if they don't you can grab them, or new ones at the riftstone. And don't worry about any loot they have, it gets dumped into your storage when/if a pawn dies.

E: beaten with an edit

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Zwippy posted:

Just hit level 117, BBI is blowing me away. I had to take a break after opening the 2nd shortcut. Those random spawns of creatures after killing a bunch of others are amazing. Took out a room of skeletons and BAM 3 big dogs just tore me apart. The only thing I wished they would do is an option for no helm grapics. Got a kickass helm for my pawn but my god its freaking hideous.

If anyone needs a tank pawn add me on PSN: Zwippy. She is set to scather/challenger so she just tears things up! Plus I could use some RC's

I finished BBI on my level ~100 assassin last night and just ended up skipping the random spawn minibosses. First one I got was an ogre and it took 15+ minutes to kill the thing, so from that point on I figured they weren't worth the time. I'd also just like to say that Death is a giant motherfucker. It seems next to impossible for him to hit you, but whenever he pops up it's time to say goodbye to your idiot pawns. Losing them all and going solo for a good stretch in your first time through the dungeon is pretty tense. Very Dark Souls.

Now I'm up to Daimon on my 69 magic character and I can't even dent the guy. It's pretty ridiculous how little damage I do to him. Tried going down there as a sorc, MA, and MK but none of them could do much of anything. MK in particular was a death sentence since Daimon seems insistent on never, ever attacking anybody but me which makes setting up holy cannons impossible. Everything else was pretty simple up to this point as a Mystic Knight :(. Guess I just need some more levels and better gear. If anyone wants to take my fighter around somewhere for some RCs and enemy knowledge so she blocks better, I'd appreciate it. GT is NZVargs2.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 20, 2013

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Wow I REALLY wish they had given me some kind of indication that the Everfall was special in that particular way. Thanks for the quick answers. Honestly the only reason I even care about my main pawn is that I spent a bit too long making the most hideous abomination I could muster, and I want him grossing out NPCs forever. Good to know I can just ditch his stupid rear end to the tentacles this one time and we can still be pals.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I should make a mage at some point since I stole the Duke's ring, apparently it makes casting time faster.

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...

Alteisen posted:

Hey let's poke that giant thing in bitterblack that's chained to the wall.

Yea that was a great idea. :cripes:

Just you wait... I thought i learned my lesson about not touching 3 story dudes chained to walls on that guy. NOPE. I did on 2 though, Christ that battle was tough.

My second run through BBI is tough as hell. Was pretty smooth up until you get to that city before daimon... 2 loving dragons, 9000 executioner looking dudes... christ. After finally get through that i kill daimon again only to have a god drat dragon pop out of his god drat chest. My magic archer wasn't doing poo poo against that. gently caress that fight.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Chard posted:

Wow I REALLY wish they had given me some kind of indication that the Everfall was special in that particular way. Thanks for the quick answers. Honestly the only reason I even care about my main pawn is that I spent a bit too long making the most hideous abomination I could muster, and I want him grossing out NPCs forever. Good to know I can just ditch his stupid rear end to the tentacles this one time and we can still be pals.

It's important not to worry too much about your pawns. They're just going to be dumb sometimes. Remember, they're emotionless immortal rift-dwellers, and they come right back anytime anything bad happens to them.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I get that, I do. This guy is just truly ugly and I like him :unsmith: Not going to worry too much from this point on though, sounds like they are even more disposable than I thought.

vvv well poo poo what was I even worrying about? Now I feel dumb.

Chard fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 20, 2013

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Chard posted:

I get that, I do. This guy is just truly ugly and I like him :unsmith: Not going to worry too much from this point on though, sounds like they are even more disposable than I thought.

Yeah, you can just touch a riftstone whenever your main pawn dies and they'll warp right back in smelling like roses. Don't sweat it.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone know of a place to look at armors? The game seems to have thousands of armor permutations and I can mix and match to my heart's content. :allears:

zarron
Sep 1, 2005

bonzaisushi posted:

Just you wait... I thought i learned my lesson about not touching 3 story dudes chained to walls on that guy. NOPE. I did on 2 though, Christ that battle was tough.

My second run through BBI is tough as hell. Was pretty smooth up until you get to that city before daimon... 2 loving dragons, 9000 executioner looking dudes... christ. After finally get through that i kill daimon again only to have a god drat dragon pop out of his god drat chest. My magic archer wasn't doing poo poo against that. gently caress that fight.

I JUST had this poo poo but with a ranger. My ranger wasn't going to do poo poo poo poo against all those executioners. The thunderwyrm dragon was basically sniping me from across the map. drat that was just ridiculous.

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

zarron posted:

I JUST had this poo poo but with a ranger. My ranger wasn't going to do poo poo poo poo against all those executioners. The thunderwyrm dragon was basically sniping me from across the map. drat that was just ridiculous.

Ya man, you cant hide anywhere, just gotta keep moving, Richochette shot saved my life on that section, id get a poo poo ton of executioners in a corner and just fire away as much as i could before one of those assholes dragons either slowed me down or hit me with some other random buff. I cant imagine this poo poo on hard mode. If it weren't for buttermonsters pawn id probably have eaten poo poo a lot more. Whoever's is the pawn owner of AMON, props! dude is a badass as well.

bonzaisushi fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 20, 2013

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Alteisen posted:

Anyone know of a place to look at armors? The game seems to have thousands of armor permutations and I can mix and match to my heart's content. :allears:

There's pictures of a lot of them on the wiki, but if you want to look at them in game, just build up a collection in your storage and choose 'change equipment' at an npc that gives you storage access; way more convenient than taking things out to look at them.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I just beat BBI for the first time, already starting on the second. According to some people I will hit a ridiculous wall of difficulty at some point?

zarron
Sep 1, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

I just beat BBI for the first time, already starting on the second. According to some people I will hit a ridiculous wall of difficulty at some point?

Not really. You will see a mixture of enemy that weren't in rooms that you have been in before though. In my second run Death liked to spawn a lot more.

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

The 3rd part or bbi is when it took a big difficulty jump for my level 75 magic archer. Just make sure you are amply stocked with stamina/health potions.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

bonzaisushi posted:

The 3rd part or bbi is when it took a big difficulty jump for my level 75 magic archer. Just make sure you are amply stocked with stamina/health potions.
Oh, well I'm level 120 so I don't think I will have the same problems you do. Daimon was a pushover, relatively speaking. The dragon pope was way harder.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
The final stratum (after Dragon Pope) can get pretty hairy. The final boss becomes a damage sponge without top tier weapons or periapt spam too.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Samurai Sanders posted:

Have fun in the city!

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

PS3 Ur-Dragon is in grace period. Some of them have been going long lately so you may still have a chance to get in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

tooooooo bad posted:

PS3 Ur-Dragon is in grace period. Some of them have been going long lately so you may still have a chance to get in.
Yep, everyone jump on, I just got my first online Ur-Dragon kill. Ironically I was only wearing fisherman's garb, so now I have dragonforged fisherman's garb. Oh well.

edit: the goon pawns Babycakes and Hulk were with me when I did it, I don't know if they automatically get something for it.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 20, 2013

• Locked thread