Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

JoshTheStampede posted:

God drat son clean your monitor.
Yeah, you've got me there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Oath Completareeno!

The evolution of the Effigy:

Went for the box art and got to try my hand at OSL and some NMM. Both kind of meh, but it works and looks decent on the tabletop. Had to reference the original sketch art instead of the painted model on the blister since was hard to get details on the coffin. See if you can spot all the things they didn't keep from it.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Signal posted:

I, Signal, do Oath the following models: 1 Corvus Belli/Infinity 28mm Auxilia, 10 Games Workshop Epic Rhinos

Dagon posted:

I, Dagon, Alternate Universe Terrain Oath

counterspin posted:

I Counterspin, add a Kuldun Lord from Privateer Press to my oath for may.

Looking good n' Accepted.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
New to all this, but when will the Detektuv journal for June be announced?

Also, when I get home, I will take pictures of my first Oath unit.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

New to all this, but when will the Detektuv journal for June be announced?

Also, when I get home, I will take pictures of my first Oath unit.

June 1st.

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Oath Completareeno!

Tsk. No username in the final oath complete photo (which I assume is the one I've quoted above)! It is a free point which you don't have. :(

Dagon posted:

I, Dagon, Alternate Universe Terrain Oath:

This thing! I have no idea who made it - a buddy got it from ebay, and there are no clues on the sprue or anything. It is about 6" by 3" by 4" tall, so it should count by itself, right?

Congratulations on causing me to add five more columns to a sheet! Obviously someone can do a terrain oath as an alt universe oath, I assume, so I guess I need to track the themed oath types on the alt universe sheet too.

Lethemonster posted:

Going to have to drop out this month. Really annoyed because I've done everything accept actually finished painting the models, but there's no way I'll have time. Stupid exams and uni dropping coursework bombs out of nowhere :(

Aww. But today's only the 18th, there's still tons of time! Maybe you will find an hour here or there.

moths posted:

:siren: OATH COMPLETED! :siren:

Moths and Slimnoid are now tied for the lead, at 13 points each!

Avenger_Mullah
Dec 28, 2008
Work in progress picsss

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

:siren: OATH COMPLETE :siren:

Given that this is my first conversion, my first use of OSL, and my second time basing, I'm really pleased with how everything turned out.

Detectuv’s Jurnal: Suiting Up
WIP 1: Conversion complete, primed

WIP 2: Working on that basecoat

WIP 3: Basecoat complete

WIP 4: Highlights, washes, and OSL complete (just needs a base!)

This oath qualifies for the following one-time bonuses:

Speed painting

Parts list
Unless noted, the brand for everything is Reaper. Asterisked paints are from the HD line.
code:
Pure White
Pale Saffron*
Fireball Orange*
Golden Yellow*
Pure White
Burning Orange*
Rusty Red*
Caucasian Flesh*
Concrete Grey*
Linen White
Ruddy Brown*
Pure Black
Military Grey *
Leather Brown
Tarnished Brass
Walnut Brown
Honed Steel
Flesh Wash
Brown Wash
Black Wash
Green Stuff
Krazy Glue
Craftsmart All Purpose Glue
Gale Force Nine Medium Grit
Gale Force Nine Dirt Flock
Gale Force Nine Straw Static Grass
Craftsmart Matte Varnish
Krylon white indoor/outdoor primer
Double the Fun (Parts List one-time bonus + Speed Painting one-time bonus)

e: forgot the primer in the parts list
e2: forgot Double the Fun

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 22, 2013

Germ
May 7, 2013

Oath Complete!

So, these Doom Scythes represent the tail end of my Necron army. I’ve got something close to 3000 points or so by now. I’m usually one of those slow, couple-of-a model-at-a-time kind of painters. The intention of the Necron army was to spend no more time painting it than it took to assemble the models. I think in the end I didn’t quite hit that goal, but I came pretty close. Anyhow, it was fun to try and come up with a simple and effective color scheme that I could paint quickly.

Bonuses: Detektiv's Journal and Part's List
Primed black with Krylon primer
Gold is a couple of coats of Citadel Colour Shining Gold.
Silver is Vallejo Game Color Chainmail Silver
Some blue details are base coated with P3 Trollblood Base
The base was sand, with the crystals made from whittled down plastic sprue. The sand was painted with Delta Ceramcoat Dark Brown.

All of the metals were then washed in a mix of Bombay Mahogany Poly Shades Miniwax Gloss and mineral spirits. It's initially slopped on quite liberally with a bruesh.

Then after it dries a bit, I buff it from the raised bits with a paper towel.

The rest of the blue is base coated in P3 Trollblood Base, then Vallejo Game Color Scurf Green, then drybrushed with successive layers of Scurf Green and Vallejo Game Color Dead White. Crevices cleaned up with a touch of Citadel Asurmen Blue Wash.

On the bases, I glopped on some P3 Bloodstone, and drybrushed with successive layers of Bloodstone mixed with white. The crystals were painted in the same blue as the doom scythe. The edges of the base were painted with Delta Ceramcoat Burnt Umber, and the static grass is GF9 dead grass.

Parts List
Delta Ceramcoat:
Burnt Umber
Dark Brown

P3:
Bloodstone
Trollblood Base

Citadel:
Shining Gold
Asurmen Blue Wash

Vallejo Game Color:
Scurf Green
Chainmail Silver
Dead White

Mini Wax Polyshades:
Bombay Mahaogoney

Mineral Spirits
Black Krylon Primer

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
I, Bunnyofdoom, oath that I will assemble, and paint this GW Imperial Guard Sentinel

I shall paint it to be like the rest of my army, in urban camo, with urban rubble on it's base! And possibly brass autocannon casings too

Also, Awwww, it's a baby!, because this is indeed my first time in the oath competition!

Oh God, this really is my first time, and this is for the June Oath I think, so please tell me if I did this right.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

bunnyofdoom posted:

I, Bunnyofdoom, oath that I will assemble, and paint this GW Imperial Guard Sentinel

I shall paint it to be like the rest of my army, in urban camo, with urban rubble on it's base! And possibly brass autocannon casings too

Also, Awwww, it's a baby!, because this is indeed my first time in the oath competition!

Oh God, this really is my first time, and this is for the June Oath I think, so please tell me if I did this right.

Nope, this is for May. You have 13 days. :)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

JoshTheStampede posted:

Nope, this is for May. You have 13 days. :)

Oh. I misread the OP on the Last week thing. Awesome.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Germ posted:

Oath Complete!

So, these Doom Scythes represent the tail end of my Necron army. I’ve got something close to 3000 points or so by now. I’m usually one of those slow, couple-of-a model-at-a-time kind of painters. The intention of the Necron army was to spend no more time painting it than it took to assemble the models. I think in the end I didn’t quite hit that goal, but I came pretty close. Anyhow, it was fun to try and come up with a simple and effective color scheme that I could paint quickly.

Bonuses: Detektiv's Journal and Part's List
Primed black with Krylon primer
Gold is a couple of coats of Citadel Colour Shining Gold.
Silver is Vallejo Game Color Chainmail Silver
Some blue details are base coated with P3 Trollblood Base
The base was sand, with the crystals made from whittled down plastic sprue. The sand was painted with Delta Ceramcoat Dark Brown.

All of the metals were then washed in a mix of Bombay Mahogany Poly Shades Miniwax Gloss and mineral spirits. It's initially slopped on quite liberally with a bruesh.

Then after it dries a bit, I buff it from the raised bits with a paper towel.

The rest of the blue is base coated in P3 Trollblood Base, then Vallejo Game Color Scurf Green, then drybrushed with successive layers of Scurf Green and Vallejo Game Color Dead White. Crevices cleaned up with a touch of Citadel Asurmen Blue Wash.

On the bases, I glopped on some P3 Bloodstone, and drybrushed with successive layers of Bloodstone mixed with white. The crystals were painted in the same blue as the doom scythe. The edges of the base were painted with Delta Ceramcoat Burnt Umber, and the static grass is GF9 dead grass.

Parts List
Delta Ceramcoat:
Burnt Umber
Dark Brown

P3:
Bloodstone
Trollblood Base

Citadel:
Shining Gold
Asurmen Blue Wash

Vallejo Game Color:
Scurf Green
Chainmail Silver
Dead White

Mini Wax Polyshades:
Bombay Mahaogoney

Mineral Spirits
Black Krylon Primer

This type of info is super useful. krushgroove can we make this a recurring point bonus to inspire people to list their supplies and techniques every month?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

I, Bunnyofdoom, oath that I will assemble, and paint this GW Imperial Guard Sentinel. Awwww, it's a baby!

Accepted.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Germ posted:

Krylon primer
Delta Ceramcoat
Mini Wax Polyshades & Mineral Spirits

These are three of the most underrated liquids in miniatures painting, and I applaud your demonstration of their virtue.

How did you come up with Polyshades and mineral spirits? I've been wondering how to thin it since the first skeleton I ruined in a tin of the stuff.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I, Schmetterling, hereby Oath this Misaki model from Wyrd Miniatures for the month of May!

The model is bare plastic and liquid greenstuff in this photo, and the sand on the base is orange because that's the colour my little brother bought at the craft store. He bought an entire Ten Thunders crew during Gencon last year, but he has so far refused to touch them for fear of 'doing it wrong'. So, I've been taking some photos throughout my assembly process, and will continue to do so whilst painting (conveniently matching the monthly theme!). I'll do the parts list too, as I am going to try to make some simple instructions he can try to follow.

And I have some exciting news! I backed the Games and Gears kickstarter back in February, and have now received a multitude of fancy sable double-ended brushes, just in time for the new thread!

They look really nice, and feel nice and soft. I'm looking forward to trying them out on some new techniques, like wet blending.

Schmetterling fucked around with this message at 09:24 on May 19, 2013

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Schmetterling posted:

They look really nice, and feel nice and soft. I'm looking forward to trying them out on some new techniques, like wet blending.

I just got mine, too, and used them for my oath. I don't think they're as nice as my W&N brushes (I had to clip a couple hairs on each brush), but they're still quite nice for the price!

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 08:59 on May 19, 2013

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!

Wili posted:

I, Wili, oath that I will have this Shroud Mages' Intruder Class Battleship, of Spartan Games, painted by the end of May

Also, this is Baby's First Oath

I am making an Oath Addition!

I oath to paint this Kingdom of Britannia Vanguard Class Submarine, plus two submerged submarine markers, during May. These models are from Dystopyan Wars, made by Spartan Games. The scale is 1/1200.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Alternate Universe Oath Complete!

Speed Painting!

Dagon fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 19, 2013

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
(Hope I'm making this in time for the cutoff...)

I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to paint Sgt. Lorenzo and Brother Zael from Space Hulk, 3rd Edition, by the end of May! GW, 28mm.

Awwww, it's a baby! First time oathing! I also plan on going for this month's Detektuv's Jurnal. I'm rebasing them, but not counting that as a conversion as I don't think it's convert-y enough. Minis are just press-fit together in the photo, unprimed (just to clarify the state they'll be in in the WIP pics).

Thanks!

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Schmetterling posted:

I, Schmetterling, hereby Oath this Misaki model from Wyrd Miniatures for the month of May!

Wili posted:

I am making an Oath Addition! I oath to paint this Kingdom of Britannia Vanguard Class Submarine, plus two submerged submarine markers, during May. These models are from Dystopyan Wars, made by Spartan Games. The scale is 1/1200.

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to paint Sgt. Lorenzo and Brother Zael from Space Hulk, 3rd Edition, by the end of May! GW, 28mm. Awwww, it's a baby!

Accepted.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Oath Complete!

I've now painted a Federation Dreadnought, 3 Klingon E5 Frigates and a GW Wight King.

On the Wight King I did Speed Painting, Parts List and Box Art.

Start

Finish

Box Art

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1460008a

Games Workshop Wight King Parts List

I partially assembled the model to allow me to airbrush parts of it and to paint hard to reach areas before final assembly. A lot of the base detail and some of the robes/chainmail/skull staff is obscured by the cloak when fully assembled, and the cloak can't be left off unless the body isn't stuck to the scenic base.

If I did this model again I would recommend just fully assembling the drat thing.

VMC = Vallejo Model Colour. VGC = Vallejo Game Colour.

Airbrush - primer - VMC 70950 Black, VGC 72070 Matt Varnish, De-ionised water. Nice smooth hard wearing undercoat.
Cloak - base cost - VGC 28 Dark Green, De-ionised water. Airbrushed on, two thin coats.

While that dried I started on the body.

Robes - basecost - Citadel Base Khorne Red.

Nice deep red colour that can be darkened with a wash and then highlighted.

Armour and Chainmail was basecoated with VGC 72054 Gunmetal with a little VGC 69 glaze medium. Again two thin coats.

On the base, Games Workshop Calthan Brown for the dirt, Citadel Layer Dawnstone on the rocks and the gravestone under the boot. This was washed with Citadel Wash Badab Black on the rocks, gravestone and boot and Citadel Wash Devlan Mud on the dirt. The base was edged with VGC 45 Charred Brown.

Already at this point the model is starting to come together, with only the basecoats for the shield, bronze, fur, bone and some detailing left. At this point my plan is to do all the bone, the inside of the shield and the detailing on the body front, then stick the body together. Both the cloak and the body need a couple of protective coats of varnish before sticking them together.

For bone I use the following process

http://stumpyheaven.blogspot.co.uk/2009/04/vc-skeletons-painting-process.html

I start with a base coat of Citadel Khemri Brown, then a Citadel Flesh or Chestnut wash, then three layers of increasingly light colours (medium grey, light grey, white).

However five layers for bone (I think I did eight layers for my warmaster undead, which I think explains why that army didn't get finished) is time consuming, and the for grunt skeletons I'd go airbrush a bone colour, airbrush a wash, drybrush base colour, drybrush highlight.

On the bone I layered VGC 49 Stonewall Grey followed by VGC 47 Wold Grey followed by Citadel Base Ceramite White then a Citadel Sepia wash.

I then went over the Bronze areas in P3 Blighted Gold.

Then came detailing.

The bottle was painted VGC 28 Dark Green, given a wash of Citadel Babab Black, a highlight of P3 Necrotite Green then a wash of Citadel Glaze Waywatcher Green.

The cloak was given a wash of Citadel Wash Badab Black, a highlight drybrush of Citadel Layer Elysian Green and a Wash of Citadel Glaze Waywatcher Green.

Fur on the cloak was Citadel Colour Shadow Grey followed by VGC Wolf Grey.

Detectuvs Jurnal

And the white I got on the dreadnought over a black undercoat from my airbrush before I started oil washing it.

Lessons Learned

Oil Washes, not really brilliant for space ships, though I do think it does look as if the ship has been in a war, which is the effect I was going for.

I suck at putting tiny transfers on hard to reach places on space ships.

I've slightly improved with my airbrush, though I have a very long way to go.

I don't want to paint a Fantasy Battle army any time soon given the sheer number of models involved together with my rampant painting OCD. There's a reason I've collected a few 40k armies based on things that are at least 24 points a model (plague marines, terminators, grey knights).

I'm very impressed with the GW Wight Lord kit.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Question on the theme rules. It says that for models 15mm scale or less you have to do ten to qualify for theme.

I'll be painting some more Klingons. Only a couple of them will be small frigate sized ships, the rest will be cruisers and about 4-5 inches long. Do I have to paint an additional 7 ships to qualify for theme?

I'm thinking of risking my successful oath in order to paint enough Klingon ships to qualify for the theme prize. I've got seven I could start painting, 2 little frigates, 4 cruisers and a dreadnought.

Should I take the chance?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Thundercloud posted:

I'm thinking of risking my successful oath in order to paint enough Klingon ships to qualify for the theme prize. I've got seven I could start painting, 2 little frigates, 4 cruisers and a dreadnought.

Should I take the chance?

I'm no officiant, but 3-4" long obviously qualifies for the 'large' size. The actual scale isn't what's important, the size of the model is. The scales given are for a human-sized thing. Something at a 15mm scale that's the same size as a model that goes on a 50mm base counts as something that goes on a 50mm base (ie you need three for the group).

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
With nothing complete yet, and swamped with work, what's the only sensible course of action?

That's right, I'm making an addition to my oath.

I, IrvingWashington, oath an additional 4 bases of 10mm Scourge infantry (5 dudes per base) from Hawk Wargames for my May oath.

Original oath below:

IrvingWashington posted:

Awwww! A Baby!

I, IrvingWashington, for the month of May, oath to paint the following totally awesome Scourge models from the 10mm game Dropzone Commander, from Hawk Wargames:

• 3 Reaper AA Grav-Tanks
  • 2 Invader APCs
  • 1 Desolator

Also I'm going to build a lightbox but hopefully not in another universe.

VV Thanks!

Achmed Jones posted:

I'm no officiant, but 3-4" long obviously qualifies for the 'large' size. The actual scale isn't what's important, the size of the model is. The scales given are for a human-sized thing. Something at a 15mm scale that's the same size as a model that goes on a 50mm base counts as something that goes on a 50mm base (ie you need three for the group).

As a counterpoint - I asked and ineptmule replied that my total oath needed to be 10 models, and I originally thought that some of the vehicles I was painting would be counts-as for a model from the higher scale, but apparently not - everything in this post is what I was told would need to be done to qualify for the theme drawing.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Some progress pics for anyone who cares about that sort of thing!

Base coats, pre wash.

Wash.

Bringing the colours back up from the wash. Looking good so far, I think.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

I, Thundercloud. make an additional oath of 7 Klingon ships from the Starline 2500 line from Mongoose Publishing in 1/3125 scale, consisting of a C8 Dreadnought, a FD7 Fast Cruiser, a D6 Heavy Cruiser, a D5W New Heavy Cruiser, a D5 War Cruiser and 2 E4 Frigates.

Oath picture

Scale Picture (this is not an oath picture)

I'm not complaining, but I can see a possible issue if people start oathing Epic scale Titans or a Legionary Dreadnought Talon. On the other hand, that could make it really interesting, as if you Oath a Warlord Titan you would then have to Oath a unit of knights and a unit of tanks with it. It could get very situational. I'll be Oathing some 6mm stuff later in the year and a unit of 10 6mm tanks would be a breeze, whereas 10 15mm tanks would probably be about a third of a FoW army.

Anyway, time to stick flying stand poles in my ships and bust out the masking tape.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Thundercloud posted:

I, Thundercloud. make an additional oath of 7 Klingon ships from the Starline 2500 line from Mongoose Publishing in 1/3125 scale, consisting of a C8 Dreadnought, a FD7 Fast Cruiser, a D6 Heavy Cruiser, a D5W New Heavy Cruiser, a D5 War Cruiser and 2 E4 Frigates.

OK, I just want to clarify something. You've already completed your May oath, and I recorded points for it. However, with this addition you're putting your May points in jeopardy: if you fail to complete this oath, I'll have to revoke your completed-oath points. In fact I'll have to remove them immediately, because the absence of an oath complete post at the end of the month is too hard to look for (compared to just recording points when I see a valid oath complete post any time throughout the month).

When you do post your oath complete post, I'll need you to include everything you did this month, including from your previous oath complete post; I will only track one oath complete post per user per month. Doing otherwise screws up my spreadsheet scheme in ways that are surprisingly annoying to fix.

From a strategy point of view it's a much better option to do this as an Alternate Universe oath. I am supposing you don't want to do that because you're trying to complete a full themed group for May, which is fine of course.

And I don't want to pick on just you; but I am using this first example as an opportunity to let everyone know how this works.

As an aside: your photos are generally pretty blurry and dark. I have credited you for the Box Art one-time point, but honestly I can't see the colors on your completed oath photo of your wight king at all. It's too dark. The blurriness also comes from not enough light; your camera has to hold its shutter open longer to get a photo, and since your hand moves while you hold the camera, the longer shutter speed blurs the picture. You'll get vastly better shots if you put your minis into a well-lit scene. If you don't have good indoor lights, take them outside during the daytime.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 20, 2013

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

OK, I just want to clarify something. You've already completed your May oath, and I recorded points for it. However, with this addition you're putting your May points in jeopardy: if you fail to complete this oath, I'll have to revoke your completed-oath points. In fact I'll have to remove them immediately, because the absence of an oath complete post at the end of the month is too hard to look for (compared to just recording points when I see a valid oath complete post any time throughout the month).

When you do post your oath complete post, I'll need you to include everything you did this month, including from your previous oath complete post; I will only track one oath complete post per user per month. Doing otherwise screws up my spreadsheet scheme in ways that are surprisingly annoying to fix.

From a strategy point of view it's a much better option to do this as an Alternate Universe oath. I am supposing you don't want to do that because you're trying to complete a full themed group for May, which is fine of course.

And I don't want to pick on just you; but I am using this first example as an opportunity to let everyone know how this works.

Don't worry, I knew I'd be gambling all my Oath completed points doing this. I've just put flying base poles in all the ships and undercoated them using my airbrush, so I'm feeling pretty confident at the moment, but I know this could all end in tears.

I will do another Oath complete post, quoting my first Oath complete post, at the end of the month.

Edit: I need to work on my photo set up. Winter months are particularly bad as I am never at home during daylight. I will take more and better photos. It does look pretty like the box art.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

For Alternate Universe Oath, does it need to get completed in any particular timeframe? Like, if I wanted to be crazy ambitious and oath a box of Sedition Wars, Super Dungeon Explore, or two thousand points of tyrranids, that's how I'd do it - provided I still did something else as a regular oath each month?

Germ
May 7, 2013

moths posted:

These are three of the most underrated liquids in miniatures painting, and I applaud your demonstration of their virtue.

How did you come up with Polyshades and mineral spirits? I've been wondering how to thin it since the first skeleton I ruined in a tin of the stuff.

Don't remember where I first saw it, but my first attempts at dipping were fairly ill-fated. The stuff was way too gloppy and thick. Eventually, I read about cleaning Miniwax off of brushes with mineral spirits, so I figured that'd be the thing with witch to thing it. The results aren't the prettiest, but they helped me get an army on the table fast. If you're interested, the rest of the army is here: http://www.ordofanaticus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11408&start=40

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Thundercloud posted:

Don't worry, I knew I'd be gambling all my Oath completed points doing this.

OK.

moths posted:

For Alternate Universe Oath, does it need to get completed in any particular timeframe? Like, if I wanted to be crazy ambitious and oath a box of Sedition Wars, Super Dungeon Explore, or two thousand points of tyrranids, that's how I'd do it - provided I still did something else as a regular oath each month?

You have until the end of April 2014.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Indolent Bastard posted:

This type of info is super useful. krushgroove can we make this a recurring point bonus to inspire people to list their supplies and techniques every month?

It is pretty useful, eh? Making it a recurring oath might throw off the points bonuses for other things, but there's nothing stopping anyone from regularly doing this, or requesting someone's process to be posted here or in the miniatures painting thread.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
How about a year/quarterly end bonus rather than a month by month (after the first one of course).

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Welp, I'm pretty set on what my June oath will be.. seems the fates have decided that the first paint job I did on a hordes troll impaler wasn't good enough. I've had to patch chipped paint off of it no less than 3 times (and it's still not finished).. then last night, managed to drop the little poo poo on the garage floor, exploderising him into several pieces...

...and chipping the paint. again.

Pass me the paint stripper :suicide:

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

IrvingWashington posted:

As a counterpoint - I asked and ineptmule replied that my total oath needed to be 10 models, and I originally thought that some of the vehicles I was painting would be counts-as for a model from the higher scale, but apparently not - everything in this post is what I was told would need to be done to qualify for the theme drawing.

Hrrm. I am conflicted on this:

You all have valid points. In fact, I agree with the poster above who said that really it's the size of the model and not, strictly speaking, the scale that matters.

How big are those DzC tanks?

Edit: sorry for the confusion. Standardising across scales is hard. Once we have worked this out I'll find a way to compensate anyone whose oathing has been affected.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 10:31 on May 20, 2013

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

ineptmule posted:

You all have valid points. In fact, I agree with the poster above who said that really it's the size of the model and not, strictly speaking, the scale that matters.

Edit: sorry for the confusion. Standardising across scales is hard. Once we have worked this out I'll find a way to compensate anyone whose oathing has been affected.

What about the method for judging the size of terrain? A photo with a ruler in the shot would give a rough size estimate, and you could say that anything over a certain threshold counts as a larger scaled model.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Grey Hunter posted:

How about a year/quarterly end bonus rather than a month by month (after the first one of course).

tbh that may still throw off the scores from other things, as well as open the can of worms 'why not allow this other bonus multiple times?' - the bonuses are all one-time only, you get a point for each one, they're easy to do and if you're trying to go all-out to max out your points haul you'll be doing every single one. Like I said, there's nothing stopping anyone from doing it again, or from anyone here asking what paints and steps someone else used to achieve some effect.

Okay, now that that's out of the way...

:siren: ANNOUNCEMENT TIME! :siren:

Just a reminder that the cut-off time to post new oaths is this Friday at midnight GMT!

For you in the UK we're on BST now, and BST is an hour ahead of GMT, so the cutoff is 1 AM Friday night/Saturday morning. That makes the cutoff time between 5 PM PST and 8 PM EST if you're in the continental US! If you're in Europe, the cutoff time is between 2 AM to 4 AM GMT. You get the idea.

If you don't know what time 0:00 GMT is in your time zone, use this link for all your time-telling needs!

Companion Cube
Oct 11, 2007

We do what we must because WAAAAAAAAAGH!

Dr. Gargunza posted:

(Hope I'm making this in time for the cutoff...)

I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to paint Sgt. Lorenzo and Brother Zael from Space Hulk, 3rd Edition, by the end of May! GW, 28mm.

Awwww, it's a baby! First time oathing! I also plan on going for this month's Detektuv's Jurnal. I'm rebasing them, but not counting that as a conversion as I don't think it's convert-y enough. Minis are just press-fit together in the photo, unprimed (just to clarify the state they'll be in in the WIP pics).

Thanks!

Congratulations on your Space Hulk purchase! That whole set is beautiful, both the Terminators and the Genestealers. I'm looking forward to seeing how yours turn out.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

ineptmule posted:

No apology needed - as soon as I started thinking about how difficult it would be to standardize I started thinking that more models means more stuff gets done, which is why I'm doing this in the first place - and the additional categories are supposed to encourage people to do more stuff, too, so it's working :)

According to the Hawk Wargames Website, sizes for the stuff I'm painting this month are:

Reaper AA Grav Tank (x3): Length: 46mm (gun forward)
Invader APC (x2): Length: 57mm
Desolator (x1): Height: 56mm, Length: 109mm
Little Mans (5x4): 45x22mm base

Here's a shot of the vehicles next to my favorite ruler:

No matter how much I look at them they aren't getting any more painted. I'm probably doing something wrong. Also poo poo, those are holes in the casting on that APC's vents. Time for greenstuff (or only photographing it from the other side from now on) :cripes:

Maybe it is battle damage...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
I, Weirdo, oath that I will paint these twenty Night Goblins for the month of May, made by Games Workshop, at the 28mm scale.

Awwww, it's a baby! First oath ever, and I'm planning on doing the Detektuv's Jurnal.

• Locked thread