Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*

Krad posted:

Turtling won't mean anything once Batgirl is released. That teleport... :getin:

I hope her teleport is good for catching zoners like smoke's was (along with his parry) but from the trailer it looks like you have to pick where it goes (far/mid/close) so it'd be kind of hosed up if there was a deadzone for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Dosvidanya posted:

I hope her teleport is good for catching zoners like smoke's was (along with his parry) but from the trailer it looks like you have to pick where it goes (far/mid/close) so it'd be kind of hosed up if there was a deadzone for it.

I wouldn't mind that, since it would be kind of unique. It's not like we don't have any teleporting zoner-punishing characters currently.

As long as it didn't end up like Shazam's teleport. That is so bad.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Jmcrofts posted:

It's got this system called throws, pretty good for punishing turtling.

When I say turtling, I really mean horrible run-away and zone tactics. I earlier fought a shazam who only ran away from me, and then used his bf 2 to fly through me and run away again. It sure was a fun match! :shepicide:

E: I'mma be on ps3 in the next 20 or so minutes, if anybody wants to play!

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Shazam bf2 is punishable on block. I imagine Catwoman can either b12d3 into full combo or Cat Dash into full combo after blocking it. You should test it in Practice, though.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Shazam bf2 is punishable on block. I imagine Catwoman can either b12d3 into full combo or Cat Dash into full combo after blocking it. You should test it in Practice, though.

Yeah, he had the range down though where he was ending up outside my sweep range though, it was weird.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

This ECT Brady vs. Reo set is amazing.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Why did REO back off at the end, he had like 60% life advantage at that point :cripes:

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

Because Tom Brady knows how to use interactables.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
PSN goon room is a go

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Dosvidanya posted:

Because Tom Brady knows how to use interactables.

And now, after a long time, he knows how to win majors.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Brady vs. Reo finals were even crazier than their previous set.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

And now, after a long time, he knows how to win majors.

Tom Brady finally arrives :clint:

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I liked that Brady won simply because he stuck to his character.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

JackDarko posted:

I liked that Brady won simply because he stuck to his character.

Well, if you're going to stick to one character and one character only, Aquaman is a pretty good choice. That trait is strong, and he doesn't seem to really have any awful matches, at least in the more popularly used characters at this time.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

gannyGrabber posted:

Yeah, he had the range down though where he was ending up outside my sweep range though, it was weird.

I went and tested this, and the only time Shazam bf2 will recover outside of Catwoman d3 range is if he does it so close to you that you could:

A) interrupt its startup with a fast move of your own,
B) already be mixing him up, or
C) be more afraid of high/low command grab mixups anyway

It seems like any range where d3 works, d1 should work, too, which means you can get full combo off d1:

d1 XX bf1 b3 f3(1 hit) f2 XX bf2~MB 1f2

That won't work if the d1 hits out of the air, though, in which case you need to do d1 XX bf2~MB b3 f3 1f2 or something similar.

From a little further out than that, he'll stop close enough for 112 to counter, in which case you can go for 112( hit) XX bf1 into combo if you catch him in grounded recovery or 112(1 hit) XX bf2~MB into combo if you catch him too early and hit him airborne.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
What if I told you that before now, I never knew I could combo from a d1? Would you think less of me?

Thanks for the advice, at any rate. I'll try those combos out next chance I get.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

gannyGrabber posted:

What if I told you that before now, I never knew I could combo from a d1? Would you think less of me?

Thanks for the advice, at any rate. I'll try those combos out next chance I get.

I kept expecting some kind of punish every time I lightning charged. It never happened once. You lied and made me scared, man. :saddowns:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

gannyGrabber posted:

Then I would tell you to watch that Catwoman video I linked recently. It's seriously fantastic and anyone who wants to learn and/or play the character would benefit from watching it.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Krad posted:

I kept expecting some kind of punish every time I lightning charged. It never happened once. You lied and made me scared, man. :saddowns:

I thought I had. I had been in practicing with lightning charge into an immediate holding back to block recorded, and I'd block it and do my f1123 and get a hit, but it didn't work against you. You're probably cheating!

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

gannyGrabber posted:

I thought I had. I had been in practicing with lightning charge into an immediate holding back to block recorded, and I'd block it and do my f1123 and get a hit, but it didn't work against you. You're probably cheating!

Shazam bf2 is -12 and f1 is like 16 frames, so it won't work. When you recorded the dummy doing bf2 into block, did you remember to account for the fact it would side switch?

Edit: As mentioned below, you're probably talking about Flash's move. I'm a dummy.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 20, 2013

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
I think he's talking about Flash's Lightning Charge, but I don't know the frame data on that. I assume if it doesn't work online then the problem is lag.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Shazam bf2 is -12 and f1 is like 16 frames, so it won't work. When you recorded the dummy doing bf2 into block, did you remember to account for the fact it would side switch?

The best way to test/practice how to punish punishable special moves, for me anyway, is to set the practice bot to reversal the special in question, set them to always block, and then tap them with a jab, block the special and try to punish from there. Not TOO related to what you were saying, but just a general tip.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

sentrygun posted:

I think he's talking about Flash's Lightning Charge, but I don't know the frame data on that. I assume if it doesn't work online then the problem is lag.

Oh whoops, you're probably right. I was too tied to the previous conversation I guess.

Edit: Flash's bf2 is -21 so yeah, online latency was probably screwing you over.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 20, 2013

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
So I've recently started running Deathstroke if I'm matched against someone who is likely to play Superman. I main Grundy and he is just not going to win that matchup very often, but sometimes I can manage a win with my sub-par DS. I've definitely noticed how disproportionate the amount of hatemail you get playing DS is to pretty much any other character. People that have been playing DS since the beginning must have some pretty thick skin. It's made me hate playing against a DS a little less too. I'm beginning to realize that there's a pretty complicated meta-game to zoning well against intelligent players.

Also, just wanted to comment on how awesome it is that this game is still as relevant as it is. Injustice may or may not be as well-built a fighting game as SF or MvC, but drat have NRS studios come a long way in a short amount of time.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

PantsBandit posted:

Also, just wanted to comment on how awesome it is that this game is still as relevant as it is. Injustice may or may not be as well-built a fighting game as SF or MvC, but drat have NRS studios come a long way in a short amount of time.

There are a lot of ways a game can be "well-built." In general I think the MvC3 system mechanics are a lot more solid+fun, but the game has a ton of bad decisions too and more dumb stuff than I care to get into. Injustice has super weird system mechanics but at its core I think the game is a ton of fun and has a lot of potential as a competitive game.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Jmcrofts posted:

There are a lot of ways a game can be "well-built." In general I think the MvC3 system mechanics are a lot more solid+fun, but the game has a ton of bad decisions too and more dumb stuff than I care to get into. Injustice has super weird system mechanics but at its core I think the game is a ton of fun and has a lot of potential as a competitive game.

Yeah, I would agree. It's tough to compare one to the other like that which is why I didn't really say one way or the other. Personally, I have a lot more fun with Injustice than other fighting games just because I feel like it's easier to understand, and that's gotta be worth something.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Edit: Flash's bf2 is -21 so yeah, online latency was probably screwing you over.

So he WAS cheating! I hope they patch in catarangs so I can just zone the hell out of him next time.

Although, it's just over 2 days to Batgirl day, so maybe all our dreams will come true and she'll lead me to the promised land.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

I've definitely noticed how disproportionate the amount of hatemail you get playing DS is to pretty much any other character.

I wonder what kind of hate mail Grundy players get, if any, if ever?

THROWS ARE FOR PUSSIES :argh:

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

AndyElusive posted:

I've gotten plenty of rage quits but never any hatemail, except in response to taunts when they ragequit.

I have had people complement me or pick Grundy and show me things I was having trouble with.

Edit: When I've played Sinestro, on the other hand...

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I've gotten plenty of rage quits but never any hatemail, except in response to taunts when they ragequit.

I have had people complement me or pick Grundy and show me things I was having trouble with.

Edit: When I've played Sinestro, on the other hand...

I'm just theorizing here but it's probably the combination of Sinestros mustache, accent, inherent play style and victory pose that makes him so overwhelmingly infuriating to lose to in any way, shape or form.

On the other hand, it sounds like because Grundy is such a lovable brainless lug that pubbies just want to help you be the best zombie you can be and even when they rage quit they just can't muster enough anger to send you insulting messages unless you go out of your way to troll them first.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Oh, trust me, I've gotten my fair share of Grundy hate mail. And yeah:

AndyElusive posted:

is pretty much the gist of it.

Oh, also I get called a keep-away spammer. For repeatedly using swamp hands...pretty much the easiest long range move in the game to not get hit by...

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 20, 2013

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ok. At this point the only players I can't see getting hate mail has got to be people who play The Flash.

Seriously, what could people possibly bitch about? He has no projectile, has flashy combos and does everything in your face.

NICE COMBOS FAG LEARN TO PLAY.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

AndyElusive posted:

Ok. At this point the only players I can't see getting hate mail has got to be people who play The Flash.

WAY TO JUST SPAM PSYCHO CRUSHER IDIOT. GO LIGHTNING RUSH INTO A TRASHCAN.

Or just generic poo poo that anyone would get for winning against a sore loser.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

AndyElusive posted:

Seriously, what could people possibly bitch about? He has no projectile, has flashy combos and does everything in your face.

Scrubs whine about people doing the same combo more than once and expect you to pull some new 100% unique supercool awesome combo out of your rear end every time you hit them or else you're being cheap.

RageBeef
Jul 27, 2010

TOASTY!

AndyElusive posted:

I know you're joking but back in MK9 I actually did have a guy starting yelling about me midmatch because I was doing actual combos and also called me, "One of those fags who watches videos on YouTube." People will find just about anything to complain about when they're losing but complaining over simply comboing you is the most absurd thing.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
People sent me SO much loving hate mail when I first started playing as Flash and consistently won using nothing but super moves. I'd sweep the leg four times until they'd finally low block and then do his flying overhead. Combine this with blocking and punishing projectiles and people would constantly send me "learn to play human being", etc.

That was before I started trying to do combos, now people mostly say "Sick flash" :toot:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Scrubs whine about people doing the same combo more than once and expect you to pull some new 100% unique supercool awesome combo out of your rear end every time you hit them or else you're being cheap.

If someone managed to perfect an unskilled sore loser while constantly doing new poo poo, I guarantee that'd merit the greatest meltdown of all.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

If someone managed to perfect an unskilled sore loser while constantly doing new poo poo, I guarantee that'd merit the greatest meltdown of all.

They'd yank their XBox out of their entertainment center and throw it out the window right before the final hit and nobody would ever hear of the meltdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I've managed to get quite a few Bane hate messages, I've even got one guy who spams me with like 20 messages every time I am online after I beat him last week using only command grabs every time he woke up.

I love online sometimes.

• Locked thread