Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yes. You might say Seed is the reason Gundam still exists. After Turn A, Gundam was pretty much a non-seller, and the introduction of Seed, with its marketing aimed at broader demographics and with new kinds of paraphernalia turned it into a huge market force. With the dozens and dozens of Gundams, sidestory manga, and flashy colors, it sold itself to the old guard and newcomers equally well. Turn A was not really good for that. I'd say it was partly due to the fact that there hadn't been a truly "new Gundam" for a new generation of anime watchers for a long time, and it just hooked people in a way something like Turn A couldn't. I can't say personally, but I also think it unabashedly sold itself and merchandise to every brand of Otaku, something that the previous series had done, but not to the same extent. Seed had really good marketing that didn't just rely on the Gundam name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To add to that:

The new models you're seeing are from Astray, and Astray and X Astray are basically the only successful AU Gundam manga in any meaningful way. That is why they got animated shorts, Evolve episodes, and even got a SRW appearance. Lowe and pals have actually gotten animated in some form or another more than any Gundam sidestory characters, even the Crossbone dudes.

They tried hard to replicate it with the 00 and AGE mangas but nobody gave a poo poo about those even when they turned out to be essential to the plot. Be it the connection to SEED or just because people like Lowe, Astray got a lot more shine on it than most Gundam sidestory materials.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 17, 2013

I eats my spinach
Jan 16, 2005

'sup gordon
i don't even loving know then

I eats my spinach fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 18, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Not everybody's read the novels, you realize.

I eats my spinach
Jan 16, 2005

'sup gordon

BlitzBlast posted:

Not everybody's read the novels, you realize.

I haven't actually either, so if the contents haven't been revealed at some point in the series (and in retrospect I can't remember that happening?) then I actually have no idea how I knew it :(

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
I think he means you should mark those as novel spoilers, since they're also possibly ep7 spoilers.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
When CCA started, amuro was in a Re-gz, which as I understand it was basically a shittier, watered down, prototype mass produced zeta gundam with no biosensor and gimped waverider mode. Char was holding back on hium, but I would have loved to see Amuro rock a full fledged zeta.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Meow Tse-tung posted:

When CCA started, amuro was in a Re-gz, which as I understand it was basically a shittier, watered down, prototype mass produced zeta gundam with no biosensor and gimped waverider mode. Char was holding back on hium, but I would have loved to see Amuro rock a full fledged zeta.

It probably would have been the same outcome as it was with the RE-Gz. I can't see Zeta holding its own against Sazabi for very long if at all.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Fun fact: REgz stands for Refined Gundam Zeta.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Wow, blu ray prices for gundam are dumb. I was hoping to pick up a few series now that I have some disposable income, but I guess bandai USA shut down production? Is there any chance of blu ray releases later on down the line, or is this basically a collectors market now.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008
The only Gundam BD we ever got over here via Bandai Entertainment was the 00 movie. We got Unicorn, and continue to, but that's a bit of a different beast since the production of the discs is handled by Bandai Visual (Japan's media arm of Bandai) and Bandai Entertainment just handled distribution for the first 4-5 discs, and now Bandai Visual is handling it themselves. The rest of the Gundam Blu-rays are Japan only, and with the exception of SEED HD, AGE, and the upcoming Destiny HD boxes, none of them contain subs. None of them have dubs on them either.

The best chance we have to get anything like 0079, Zeta, 00, or the various movies on BD at this point is once Bandai's licenses come up for rescue by other companies and their deciding to obtain the license and release BDs. Funimation said at a convention this past weekend that Bandai stuff isn't up for rescue yet, though a few assorted licenses have been negotiated, such as Blue Sub 6 going to Discotek and Unicorn's DVD license going to Nozomi.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

OZC posted:

The only Gundam BD we ever got over here via Bandai Entertainment was the 00 movie. We got Unicorn, and continue to, but that's a bit of a different beast since the production of the discs is handled by Bandai Visual (Japan's media arm of Bandai) and Bandai Entertainment just handled distribution for the first 4-5 discs, and now Bandai Visual is handling it themselves. The rest of the Gundam Blu-rays are Japan only, and with the exception of SEED HD, AGE, and the upcoming Destiny HD boxes, none of them contain subs. None of them have dubs on them either.

The best chance we have to get anything like 0079, Zeta, 00, or the various movies on BD at this point is once Bandai's licenses come up for rescue by other companies and their deciding to obtain the license and release BDs. Funimation said at a convention this past weekend that Bandai stuff isn't up for rescue yet, though a few assorted licenses have been negotiated, such as Blue Sub 6 going to Discotek and Unicorn's DVD license going to Nozomi.

So even if you had the money to pay for it, there aren't legitimate ways to get the older Gundam series? Crunchyroll doesn't stream them, and the DVD's wouldn't have english subtitles or english audio tracks? Is there a niche underground scene that voices the old series and sells them black/grey market? I always thought fan dubs were terrible but after watching DBZ Abridged I realize I may have been too quick to judge. DBZ:A is hilarious and well done.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
DBZ: Abridged the exceptions among exceptions. Just about no one does as much work they do with the combination of talent they have.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I know 0079 and Zeta have proper dubs - 0079 actually has two seperate dubbing jobs for the TV series and the films with seperate VAs, which is kinda weird, and one of them has a british Bright. I think ZZ and Char's Counterattack probably have dubs too, and Wing and 00 definitely have dubs. I don't think X, AGE or Turn A are dubbed at all, and I have no idea about SEED or Destiny. If any of the dubs were released they'd be on VHS and long out of production by now, but I guess you might get lucky on Ebay.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

ZZ does not have a dub. The only other series/OVA that aren't dubbed are X, Turn-A, AGE, and Victory.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Tae posted:

ZZ does not have a dub. The only other series/OVA that aren't dubbed are X, Turn-A, AGE, and Victory.
ZZ sort of has an English dub. Done via a Thailand studio for the Thai audience only. It's....not recommended or easy to find.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AradoBalanga posted:

ZZ sort of has an English dub. Done via a Thailand studio for the Thai audience only. It's....not recommended or easy to find.

Woah, woah. It is completely recommended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SymeWdSey-A

STUPID ADULTS. What about the dead, huh? THE DEAD?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

You can find a few clips of the Animax ZZ dub on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsRX94qHUfM

edit: drat you ImpAtom

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Tae posted:

I wonder if AGE could be salvaged if it got a fandub that rewrote the story so it made sense.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

I wonder if AGE could be salvaged if it got a fandub that rewrote the story so it made sense.

"Fandub" and "improvement" aren't exactly the most compatible terms.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Serious Frolicking posted:

"Fandub" and "improvement" aren't exactly the most compatible terms.

You actually believe it could be made WORSE?!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I can easily see an AGE fandub that tries to force unfunny memes being worse than the show itself.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

You actually believe it could be made WORSE?!

Of course. AGE was made by incompetent professionals. Incompetent amateurs who care enough about AGE of all things to go through that much trouble could very easily make it worse.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest I'm not actually sure you could make AGE worse. I mean that would take more effort than making it passable would.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

ACanofPepsi posted:

So even if you had the money to pay for it, there aren't legitimate ways to get the older Gundam series? Crunchyroll doesn't stream them, and the DVD's wouldn't have english subtitles or english audio tracks? Is there a niche underground scene that voices the old series and sells them black/grey market? I always thought fan dubs were terrible but after watching DBZ Abridged I realize I may have been too quick to judge. DBZ:A is hilarious and well done.

Yeah, I should have been a bit more clear, but that was due to a failure in reading your post correctly (thought you were just asking about BDs and not buying them in general). Many of the Gundam shows got legitimate DVD releases here, but the problem now is that since Bandai closed up shop, whatever is left in the market is all that exists, and a lot of the final print run of the shows from back in November 2012 have dried up. You can still buy bootlegs on eBay, but honestly, as someone who has encoded a lot of Gundam shows, don't give money to the bootleggers, just download encodes of the shows. That way you aren't funding the pirates making money off and are saving yourself the money so you can buy them when and if a legitimate method comes along down the road. Between myself and EG, I think we've encoded nearly all the dubbed shows other than maybe SEED and 0079, and the non-dubbed shows all have pretty solid encodes out there too. Hopefully suggesting the downloads isn't :filez: but I have to assume with the discs out of print, it's fair game.

Tae posted:

AGE actually does have a dub too, like that of ZZ Gundam, an SE Asian dub, so it only half counts. You can find clips of it on YouTube, and I think I have a copy of the first episode somewhere, minus the opening bit with child Flit and the preview for the next episode. It's not great, but it's better than the ZZ dub I'd say.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest I'm not actually sure you could make AGE worse. I mean that would take more effort than making it passable would.
The Super Robot Wars Judgment method. Play AGE straight and have everyone else act dumber than they are in order to fit AGE's plot constraints.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Never say it can't be worse, because the internet will always surpass those naive thoughts.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tae posted:

Never say it can't be worse, because the internet will always surpass those naive thoughts.

Yeah, it can certainly be a lot more mind-scarring. Just check out the Weirdest Fanart thread in PYF.

I promise you, halfway through Generation 2 of Fandom AGE, Asemu would be pregnant with Zeheart's child.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 20, 2013

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I don't think anyone cares enough about Age to dub it. Although a Gundam Age: The Abridged Series has the potential to be better than the actual show, if only by dint of being funny instead of just being a dull, horrible mess.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I think it'd be oddly hilarious if a Gundam AGE Abridged made a serious effort and cleaning up all the bullshit as much as possible and turning everyone into a far more likeable set of characters. With clever editing and a decent script, you could probably make the show look intelligent-ish.

EDIT: VVVV Mmmmmmmmmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe??

Probably not. I dunno, I couldn't even get through the first part of the show, and certainly don't feel like trying again just yet.

fivegears4reverse fucked around with this message at 12:04 on May 21, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fivegears4reverse posted:

I think it'd be oddly hilarious if a Gundam AGE Abridged made a serious effort and cleaning up all the bullshit as much as possible and turning everyone into a far more likeable set of characters. With clever editing and a decent script, you could probably make the show look intelligent-ish.

Well, hey. They're... making a movie adaptation of the second arc!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrkbDu0Txko

That's kind of like what you said, right?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I watched the shows recommended for action (08th MS Team and Stardust Memory) and god drat they were pretty shows. That's as far as I've seen 2D animation pushed. So smooth, so detailed. And the mechanical design, both large and small, is absolutely top notch. I've a couple of questions though:

Is it generally true that everyone in the franchise has their emotional intensity turned up to 11 pretty much the whole time?

Is Monsha the most annoying character in the franchise? I know the main character, the rookie, has to have his doubters, but Monsha seemed to take it into "Sociopathic Rapist" territory.

Is there a story reason why most of the Gundams are the same size? Gato's is massive, obviously, as was the Apsalus, but otherwise, they're all roughly the same height.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Snowman_McK posted:

Is there a story reason why most of the Gundams are the same size? Gato's is massive, obviously, as was the Apsalus, but otherwise, they're all roughly the same height.

Eh, you get to a certain size point and they kind of become unwieldy to work on/dock/stow in a ship etc. That and it makes the bigger ones like the Psyco Gundam and the Quin Mantha stand out more.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

I watched the shows recommended for action (08th MS Team and Stardust Memory) and god drat they were pretty shows. That's as far as I've seen 2D animation pushed. So smooth, so detailed. And the mechanical design, both large and small, is absolutely top notch. I've a couple of questions though:

Is it generally true that everyone in the franchise has their emotional intensity turned up to 11 pretty much the whole time?

Is Monsha the most annoying character in the franchise? I know the main character, the rookie, has to have his doubters, but Monsha seemed to take it into "Sociopathic Rapist" territory.

Yes, no but he's up there, sort of (eighteen-to-twenty metres is big enough to fit all the useful systems without being too unwieldy, though more advanced technology developed later in the Universal Century setting made it possible to build smaller suits without sacrificing power, and larger suits without sacrificing agility).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

As mobile suit technology advanced, the suits get smaller and smaller because there's no point in being a giant target for beam rifles.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Well, hey. They're... making a movie adaptation of the second arc!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrkbDu0Txko

That's kind of like what you said, right?

Literally the only good thing that might come out of this is a nice Vegan kit. Its the same writers as the series and that means its guaranteed to be abysmal, but I'm hankering for some of that martian space-terrorist plastic.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tae posted:

As mobile suit technology advanced, the suits get smaller and smaller because there's no point in being a giant target for beam rifles.

It kind of went in both directions. You got tiny little things like the Victories and the F91, and hulking monsters like the Quin-Mantha, Rafflesia, and Dodgore. Like I said, the little suits got more powerful and the big suits got faster. Also, everything in the UC90s was huge for some reason.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

Monsha is not even in the top 10 most annoying Universal Century characters. There are some remarkably annoying and stupid characters in the franchise.

Gundams actually come in many sizes. Zeta Gundam introduced the Psyco Gundam which is a giant of a mobile suit. As the francise progressed however they established that most robots either became incredibly small (because weaponry became so powerful that tanking was impossible for a regular suit) or super-large (to install super-powerful protection and defenses that allowed the actual tanking.) Generally anything over a certain size has anti-beam measures in place.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
The best part of 0083 was Lt. Burning.

His name is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Monsha is not even in the top 10 most annoying Universal Century characters. There are some remarkably annoying and stupid characters in the franchise.
(cough cough)Katz Kobayashi(cough cough)

• Locked thread