Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm pretty sure you can just go into the preferences, tell it where you keep the music now, and then quit and relaunch iTunes for it to see it. Or if you double click the song it should start playing, and get rid of the !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

IUG posted:

I'm pretty sure you can just go into the preferences, tell it where you keep the music now, and then quit and relaunch iTunes for it to see it. Or if you double click the song it should start playing, and get rid of the !

Yeah, after some testing around, I think the problem is that I "backed up" my files via Google Music, and it seems that Google cuts-off any folders and/or filenames that are longer than X amount of characters. Since iTunes is looking for the original, long, filename, it marks the song as missing.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
Are the tags on the files still correct? If so, you could rename the files and folders using something like MediaRage to match what they were before. It works via regex so once you replicate iTunes' setup you can just run it on the entire new library folder and it'll make changes recursively. I'd personally do it on a duplicate copy though, just to be safe.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Anybody else having issues with iTunes stealing focus while iTunes Match is running? It happens to me all the time, whether the iTunes apps is hidden (Match starts up and the app window unhides), in the background, or even (and especially annoying) when I'm browsing playlists or the iTunes store, and suddenly Match insists on taking over and switching me to its progress window.

I can't find anything in a search about other people having this happen or what to do about it.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
I've not had it steal focus while in the background, but I have had that fucker take over whatever I was doing in iTunes.

Oh, hello, giant useless iTunes Match progress screen. Fancy meeting you again.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

iTunes 11.0.3 out, adds a progress bar to the mini player again.

Clicking the album art expands in place, now.

Drop shadows!

Verdance
May 9, 2007
Tweak
Is there a way that I could make a playlist of only artists that I have less than X songs in my library by? I haven't been able to find a way, but it would be super helpful to me.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

carry on then posted:

iTunes 11.0.3 out, adds a progress bar to the mini player again.

Clicking the album art expands in place, now.

Drop shadows!

Man, who gives a poo poo about that, they brought back album art in songs list view! :holy:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Schpyder posted:

Man, who gives a poo poo about that, they brought back album art in songs list view! :holy:

Oh man why did I forget this update yesterday, and am stuck in work now?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Schpyder posted:

What? Where?

I can't see anything different in song view (not that anyone actually uses song view)

EDIT: Nevermind there's a checkbox in "View Options"

I still maintain that artist view and album view are vastly superior viewing options though.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Wario In Real Life posted:

What? Where?

I can't see anything different in song view (not that anyone actually uses song view)

EDIT: Nevermind there's a checkbox in "View Options"

I still maintain that artist view and album view are vastly superior viewing options though.

Agreed. I'm not sure why someone would want song view, but I listen to albums a lot so maybe I'm just weird I dunno.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I use Song view. Scrolling is slow in the other modes and Song view most resembles how I used iTunes 10 and it's the quickest to navigate.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My iPod, iPhone, and iTunes are in pure random mode. It would be nice to see the albums, but up until now you couldn't. There were the views that had the drop down track listing, but they never followed what song you were listening to. It would just keep the one album you selected open, and then move on to the next track without opening that album.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

IUG posted:

My iPod, iPhone, and iTunes are in pure random mode. It would be nice to see the albums, but up until now you couldn't. There were the views that had the drop down track listing, but they never followed what song you were listening to. It would just keep the one album you selected open, and then move on to the next track without opening that album.

Yeah but if you wanted to look at the album you could just command l which is easy enough for me since 99% of the time I just have music on in the background at work.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Suqit posted:

Yeah but if you wanted to look at the album you could just command l which is easy enough for me since 99% of the time I just have music on in the background at work.

I have it as a full screen app on a different screen, and then just use BowTie to have a small player on the side. I'll have to see if I can do the miniplayer and the full screen app in two Spaces, and if I want to do that to replace BowTie.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

IUG posted:

I have it as a full screen app on a different screen, and then just use BowTie to have a small player on the side. I'll have to see if I can do the miniplayer and the full screen app in two Spaces, and if I want to do that to replace BowTie.
You can run the full screen app and the album art window (with player controls) in a separate space. I run a similar setup.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just upgraded, and the Miniplayer option is greyed out for me. I have to exit full screen it seems, open the mini player, and then re-full screen the app in order to have both. And that thing doesn't look nearly as good as BowTie, so I'll keep away from it for some more time.

But it is nice to have the album art back in the list view at least.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I have a totally minor thing I was wondering about:

Is there a way to refresh Genius Mix artwork? You know, those auto generated CD cover mosaics?

I'm finding that the CD's displayed now don't really reflect what's in the playlist, is there a way to refresh what CD covers are shown?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
You could try updating Genius (through the Store menu). When I did that the icons refreshed but were the same as before. I can't tell if it's because my library hasn't changed much since I last updated Genius or just because they're already set.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Is there a way to disable the autocorrect when editing tags? Christ, if I'd wanted a Microsoft product, I'd have gotten a PC.

Suqit posted:

Agreed. I'm not sure why someone would want song view, but I listen to albums a lot so maybe I'm just weird I dunno.
It shows you the songs. Then you can play those songs. Why would you want anything else?

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 20, 2013

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

Is there a way to disable the autocorrect when editing tags? Christ, if I'd wanted a Microsoft product, I'd have gotten a PC.

When I get aggravated with autocomplete trying to be helpful, I just throw a bunch of junk characters before whatever I'm editing, like "xyzBANDNAMEHERE" save it, then remove the junk characters afterwards. It fools iTunes into not being "helpful."

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Or you could type the correct name into an empty field (comments for instance) and copy/paste it.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Or you can just hit escape whenever the autocorrect thing pops up.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Wario In Real Life posted:

Or you can just hit escape whenever the autocorrect thing pops up.
On my machine that just closes the window.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I think some people are confusing the autocorrect (the popup text that shows you the "correct" spelling and automatically replaces what you typed) and how iTunes will pull up previous artist/albums in those fields. It can sometimes be annoying if you're trying to fix case or something, but I don't think you can avoid it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cross posting this from the Apple TV thread, as I'm now certain it's an iTunes issue and not an Apple TV one:

Recently my Home Sharing has started acting weird. I'll open iTunes, connect on whichever device I'm using (have tried the Apple TV, iPhone 5, and iPad 2), and then watch an episode of a show or a movie or whatever. When that episode has finished it will stop reading on the device that Home Sharing is connected, and I'll be forced to restart iTunes. Then it'll work again.

I've set up static IPs for the PC that iTunes is on and the devices. I've forwarded all the ports iTunes uses. I've tried putting the PC into the DMZ. I've uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes. I've disabled ipv6. I've double checked that iTunes is allowed through the firewall on my PC.

I'm using the newest firmware on everything but my iPad 2, which is jailbroken. I'm using the newest version of iTunes. I'm on Windows 8 (no it's not an 8 issue as I was streaming from it fine for almost a year). I did recently get a new modem/router combo, but like I said, I've done everything I can think of on the router side to get it to work and it's a no go.

Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this? I bought the Apple TV specifically so I would have a clean, easy way of sharing stuff on my PC to my living room, so if it's just chosen to stop working forever now, I may as well have spent $100 on a paperweight with an Apple logo on it.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

TheJoker138 posted:

Cross posting this from the Apple TV thread, as I'm now certain it's an iTunes issue and not an Apple TV one:

Recently my Home Sharing has started acting weird. I'll open iTunes, connect on whichever device I'm using (have tried the Apple TV, iPhone 5, and iPad 2), and then watch an episode of a show or a movie or whatever. When that episode has finished it will stop reading on the device that Home Sharing is connected, and I'll be forced to restart iTunes. Then it'll work again.

I've set up static IPs for the PC that iTunes is on and the devices. I've forwarded all the ports iTunes uses. I've tried putting the PC into the DMZ. I've uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes. I've disabled ipv6. I've double checked that iTunes is allowed through the firewall on my PC.

I'm using the newest firmware on everything but my iPad 2, which is jailbroken. I'm using the newest version of iTunes. I'm on Windows 8 (no it's not an 8 issue as I was streaming from it fine for almost a year). I did recently get a new modem/router combo, but like I said, I've done everything I can think of on the router side to get it to work and it's a no go.

Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this? I bought the Apple TV specifically so I would have a clean, easy way of sharing stuff on my PC to my living room, so if it's just chosen to stop working forever now, I may as well have spent $100 on a paperweight with an Apple logo on it.
First of all I have no idea why you're forwarding ports, opening ports and setting your PC on the DMZ. Your "everything thing I could think of" approach has little to nothing to do with internal network syncing or communicating with the apple servers.

What router/modem combination did you buy? Also it sounds kind of like to me that you have multiple problems going on.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

As dumb as this sounds, go to the Apple TV's settings and restart it. Airplay wasn't working correctly all the time for me, but restarting it fixed my issues.

Unless you have a power outage or move your Apple TV, most units have months and months of uptime and sometimes things just go hinky.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
I've had the same experience. Give it the old Windows 95 treatment: when in doubt, reboot first.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sigma posted:

As dumb as this sounds, go to the Apple TV's settings and restart it. Airplay wasn't working correctly all the time for me, but restarting it fixed my issues.

Unless you have a power outage or move your Apple TV, most units have months and months of uptime and sometimes things just go hinky.

I already did a full factory reset on it. In addition to doing several restarts.

PFlats posted:

I've had the same experience. Give it the old Windows 95 treatment: when in doubt, reboot first.

Same goes for this. I've restarted my computer and Apple TV both multiple times, and cycled the router.

benisntfunny posted:

First of all I have no idea why you're forwarding ports, opening ports and setting your PC on the DMZ. Your "everything thing I could think of" approach has little to nothing to do with internal network syncing or communicating with the apple servers.

What router/modem combination did you buy? Also it sounds kind of like to me that you have multiple problems going on.

This is the modem/router that I have now. Also I have no idea why Home Sharing would require any communicating with the Apple Servers other than the verification of all of the devices being signed on to the same account.

http://astore.amazon.com/myde0bd-20/detail/B0040IUI46

haakman
May 5, 2011
Updated iTunes - it tries to update IOS on my phone, crashes halfway through, sends my phone into an infinite spiral of recovery loops and then doesn't let me fix it.

gently caress iTunes, iPhones and Apple.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
You can probably recover it using DFU mode:
http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/DFU_Mode

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

TheJoker138 posted:

I already did a full factory reset on it. In addition to doing several restarts.

Same goes for this. I've restarted my computer and Apple TV both multiple times, and cycled the router.

This is the modem/router that I have now. Also I have no idea why Home Sharing would require any communicating with the Apple Servers other than the verification of all of the devices being signed on to the same account.

http://astore.amazon.com/myde0bd-20/detail/B0040IUI46

Do you have your old router? Have you experimented with plugging it into the moto one and connecting everything to it?

haakman
May 5, 2011

Less Fat Luke posted:

You can probably recover it using DFU mode:
http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/DFU_Mode

Thanks, I think I have got it sussed already.

Since my last ragepost I have fixed it. Edited the host file in windows, downloaded a brand new copy of the ios firmware online and then shift+restored in iTunes.

To think, the only reason I installed iTunes was to download some audiobooks... I think I'll just use Amazon in future rather than screw around with this synching and updating nonsense.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

benisntfunny posted:

Do you have your old router? Have you experimented with plugging it into the moto one and connecting everything to it?

No, the old modem and router had to be sent back to Comcast.

E: I also lied before, THIS is the modem/router I have now-

http://stores.ownyourcablemodem.com/-strse-114/Arris-TG852g,-Arris-modem,/Detail.bok

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 22, 2013

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

TheJoker138 posted:

http://stores.ownyourcablemodem.com/-strse-114/Arris-TG852g,-Arris-modem,/Detail.bok

Okay from my brief Goolging it looks to me like your router has issues with supporting Bonjour (Apple's networking protocol). Your best bet is to buy another cheap router is piggyback off the Comcast supplied Modem/Router.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27860714-Arris-TG862-doesn-t-support-Bonjour-or-Multicast.
http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Networking-Router-WiFi/Arris-TG852G-Bridge-Mode/td-p/1415133

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

benisntfunny posted:

Okay from my brief Goolging it looks to me like your router has issues with supporting Bonjour (Apple's networking protocol). Your best bet is to buy another cheap router is piggyback off the Comcast supplied Modem/Router.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27860714-Arris-TG862-doesn-t-support-Bonjour-or-Multicast.
http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Networking-Router-WiFi/Arris-TG852G-Bridge-Mode/td-p/1415133

I'll try this out, thank you.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

TheJoker138 posted:

FWIW I have the same Comcast modem/router and Bonjour and my AppleTV work fine over wifi with Home Sharing and no special port forwarding or other settings.

The wifi drops out every few days though, requiring a reboot.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I took it in and switched it out for a different model. Lawen, are you sure it's the same one I had that you have? The new one they gave me looks exactly like the one in the picture form factor wise, and even in the settings, but is made by a different company and has a different model number. It is working totally fine now. So either it was a problem with that particular modem or it's wide spread across all of them of that type. The one I have now is working perfectly though. Thanks guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

TheJoker138 posted:

I took it in and switched it out for a different model. Lawen, are you sure it's the same one I had that you have? The new one they gave me looks exactly like the one in the picture form factor wise, and even in the settings, but is made by a different company and has a different model number. It is working totally fine now. So either it was a problem with that particular modem or it's wide spread across all of them of that type. The one I have now is working perfectly though. Thanks guys.

Weird, you're right. Mine looks absolutely identical but is an SMC SMCD3GNV. Glad you got your issue fixed though.