Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

After seeing an angry Paul Giamatti in just his underwear and paperbags in Cosmopolis, I am a-ok with him just being angry the entire time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm actually okay with Rhino not having a suit and just being angry Paul Giamatti. Is it just me on this or?

Nah I'm cool with this (if indeed it's actually true).

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm actually okay with Rhino not having a suit and just being angry Paul Giamatti. Is it just me on this or?

I hope this is the case, and his "Rhino" nickname comes from how he stops at nothing and just keeps going and going and going. I can see him in the 18 Wheeler just tearing down a street full throttle. I'd honestly roll my eyes if in the 3rd act he gets a power suit.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

935 posted:

I hope this is the case, and his "Rhino" nickname comes from how he stops at nothing and just keeps going and going and going. I can see him in the 18 Wheeler just tearing down a street full throttle. I'd honestly roll my eyes if in the 3rd act he gets a power suit.

So he's basically a chubby American Chev Chelios?

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

I need this movie to have an angry Paul Giamatti face encased in a Rhino costume.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I am fine with every scenario.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

So for our villains we have Jamie Foxx with a Neil Hamburger combover and Paul Giamatti in a tracksuit. Somebody is setting out to make the funnest movie of all time and I wish them all the best.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Coffee And Pie posted:

So he's basically a chubby American Russian Chev Chelios?

Fixed that for you. I think the stars on his knees mean he was a Captain or some poo poo in the Russian Mafia?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

thatbastardken posted:

Fixed that for you. I think the stars on his knees mean he was a Captain or some poo poo in the Russian Mafia?

The facial tattoo is a Russian prison tattoo. I hope he's just doing the most ridiculous fake Russian accent in this.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I hope they borrow from the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon, and the Rhino is actually a young kid that gets bullied, and turns into an angry Paul Giamatti thanks to a science experiment. No costume.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Medullah posted:

I hope they borrow from the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon, and the Rhino is actually a young kid that gets bullied, and turns into an angry Paul Giamatti thanks to a science experiment. No costume.

Paul Giamatti IS the costume! Brilliant!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Medullah posted:

Whoa. I'm not a fan of that cartoon, but that description alone just makes me want to tune in again.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

bobkatt013 posted:

Sometimes his Spider-sense does not work, like when facing bricks.

Or trucks.

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010
I want this movie to introduce Giamatti gaining Rhino powers through a scientific fluke. Then, in Spider-man 3, Vulture and Scorpion are each involved in unrelated accidents involving nuclear radiation and animals. The movie comes to a climax as Kraven hunts all of the city's various giant animals with a rifle, killing all of them, including Spider-man. The end.

Oh and Dr. Octopus is an actual giant Octopus who is a doctor for other Octopuses, before being murdered brutally by Kraven.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

bbf2 posted:

Or trucks.

Or fat guys falling off buildings. Or is that just his proportional strength?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Icy Penguigo posted:

I want this movie to introduce Giamatti gaining Rhino powers through a scientific fluke. Then, in Spider-man 3, Vulture and Scorpion are each involved in unrelated accidents involving nuclear radiation and animals. The movie comes to a climax as Kraven hunts all of the city's various giant animals with a rifle, killing all of them, including Spider-man. The end.

Oh and Dr. Octopus is an actual giant Octopus who is a doctor for other Octopuses, before being murdered brutally by Kraven.

Has the whole villain from science experiment gone wrong thing not worn a little thin? I mean I know it's the comic origin of a lot of the characters, but every Spider-Man movie has had it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Has the whole villain from science experiment gone wrong thing not worn a little thin? I mean I know it's the comic origin of a lot of the characters, but every Spider-Man movie has had it.

You haven't read many Spider-man comics have you?

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

Wah Wah Waaaaah *trumpet*

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ExplodingSquid posted:

Great, now this is gonna be the only thing I'll think while watching the movie :v:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Looking at that costume makes me wonder what took them so drat long.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Looking at that costume makes me wonder what took them so drat long.

I gotta admit, that costume is pretty boner inducing. It really shouldn't work, but it sure does, and those eyes... glorious.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think I more mean that it's so unremarkable, it just looks like it belongs there. Not exactly like a Halloween costume but not totally overdesigned either.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I want him to have the bag head costume in this film

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Rhyno posted:

You haven't read many Spider-man comics have you?

Edit: Mobile forum app fuckup.

I haven't read many of the comics, no. I was under the impression the movie origins were so far pretty close to the comic origins. Wrong?

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 20, 2013

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I haven't read many of the comics, no. I was under the impression the movie origins were so far pretty close to the comic origins. Wrong?

For the most part, sort of.

• Norman Osborn wasn't trying to do anything for the military, if I recall correctly.
  • Doc Ock wasn't looking for an infinite energy thing. Certainly nothing to do with nuclear fusion or anything.
  • Sandman's origin was kind of the same.
  • New Goblin doesn't exist in the comics at all. In the comic, Harry is the second Green Goblin after his father supposedly dies. He's just called the Green Goblin in the comics and fans call him Green Goblin II. Norman didn't really die, the serum kept him from dying and he just hid and healed up. He knew Harry was the new Goblin and just let him play around (until he died too) just so he could heal up and show up again.
  • Venom's story is pretty much straight from Spider-Man the Animated Series. In the comics, Spider-Man was off on a mission with other heroes in the Secret Wars storyline. He needed a new costume since his red and blues got ripped. He found the symbiote, thinking it was an alien costume. It started to take over his body. This is where things differ from EVERY other version of the symbiote. In the original 616 comics, it didn't make him angry all the time and hate people and crap like that. It did, however, use his body while he was asleep to get into fights and all that. Spectacular Spider-Man showed this a lot better than other media has. Peter noticed it was a living being, he took it off with the help of the church bells. Eddie Brock was a rival reporter, pretty depressed about things and blamed Spider-Man for pretty much all of them. In truth, he was kind of a lovely guy. Anyway, he was planning to commit suicide and that's why he was in the church in the first place as he's Catholic and was there to pray about the sin he was about to commit. The symbiote found him, amplified his rage, and turned him into Venom. I guess now they retconned it so that Eddie had cancer and the symbiote kept him alive by feeding on the cancer or something. Oh, Venom used to eat brains in the comics. And chocolate. I wonder if he tried chocolate covered brains.
  • The Lizard's origin was pretty much the same as the comics though. Connors wanted to regrow his arm back, used lizard DNA, turned into the Lizard. The thing with the lizards is that, as the Lizard, he had the ability to command and control all lizards and he wanted to take over the world with them. Also, I think his lair was the sewers.

This is just all from the top of my head, not sure if it's all 100% right.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

They are. The point is that a great majority of Spider-Man's villains come from "science gone bad"-origins.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Yannick_B posted:

They are. The point is that a great majority of Spider-Man's villains come from "science gone bad"-origins.

One or two come from JJJ being an insane rear end in a top hat. Scorpion origin is this along with the spider-slayer. If you ever saw the Spider-man 67 episode with the spider-slayer it is pretty much the same as the comic.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

One or two come from JJJ being an insane rear end in a top hat. Scorpion origin is this along with the spider-slayer. If you ever saw the Spider-man 67 episode with the spider-slayer it is pretty much the same as the comic.

Even those both have a "science gone wrong" bent to them.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

Yeah, but with Ock, Osborne, and Connors, it is scientist gone wrong. At least with Electro, Rhino, Scorpion, Sandman, they're the unknowing victims of science experiments.

There's also a lot of Spidey villains with ties to organized crime like Tombstone and Hammerhead (and in the early days, Ock and Goblin too), which is something that's been absent in all the movies so far.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Y'know it never quite clicked for me until now how perfect Kraven the Hunter is in a villain roster made up almost entirely of animal people. Like that's loving genius, he's come to New York to hunt the biggest, most dangerous animals in the world: bank robbers dressed as animals, and also spider-man.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ExplodingSquid posted:

Paul Giamatti looking like that is so drat weird to me :stonk:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

notthegoatseguy posted:

Yeah, but with Ock, Osborne, and Connors, it is scientist gone wrong. At least with Electro, Rhino, Scorpion, Sandman, they're the unknowing victims of science experiments.

There's also a lot of Spidey villains with ties to organized crime like Tombstone and Hammerhead (and in the early days, Ock and Goblin too), which is something that's been absent in all the movies so far.

Technically Electro and Rhino are not the victims of science experiments. Electro was blasted by lightning and Rhino was a volunteer.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

I was just pointing out how JJJ was involved in some of his enemies. Also how amazing the Spider-man 67 is.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Great, now this is gonna be the only thing I'll think while watching the movie :v:

I keep hearing Tony Clifton.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
This is pretty cool, Andrew Garfield was playing basketball with a few kids in costume, I guess during a break or something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn3YkWkmh-E

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

If Spider-Man were real, I feel like that is when he'd decide to show himself in public. Same costume and everything, just with real web slinging.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Coffee And Pie posted:

This is pretty cool, Andrew Garfield was playing basketball with a few kids in costume, I guess during a break or something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn3YkWkmh-E
That loving rules. I might actually see Amazing Spider-Man 2 purely on principle now.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
You know what I think would be great? A Spider-man: Peter Parker Dating Simulator game.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gatts posted:

You know what I think would be great? A Spider-man: Peter Parker Dating Simulator game.

The good ending being trading your marriage to the devil would be kind of weird, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

TheJoker138 posted:

The good ending being trading your marriage to the devil would be kind of weird, though.

:can: But is it the good one OR BAD?! Could go creepy. The secret story is in this girl named Jessica you can date...and later find out it's your clone!

• Locked thread