Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/tutorial-how-to-create-dosh.html

These do both end up looking great on both bases and models.

If you use really dark green, slightly coarser flock and a bit of satin or gloss varnish, you can make your own ivy type stuff growing up things and it looks great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Lethemonster posted:

http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/tutorial-how-to-create-dosh.html

These do both end up looking great on both bases and models.

If you use really dark green, slightly coarser flock and a bit of satin or gloss varnish, you can make your own ivy type stuff growing up things and it looks great.

Even better, thanks! I must get into the habit of regularly checking the better sites for tutorials, so much great stuff I'm missing...

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Did a bit of green stuff work to make my Soul Grinder look more Nurgley and this is the result:

It also has a pair of Plague Drone wings on the back. I'm pretty happy with how it's come out. Going to paint the spines on the head like hairs, similar to the ones found on an actual fly's head. Hopefully with some painting I can make the eyes look less like I've made some green stuff strawberries. Compound eyes are a bitch to make.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Fuegan posted:

Compound eyes are a bitch to make.

What about using an allen wrench as a greenstuff pattern-maker?

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Fuegan posted:

Did a bit of green stuff work to make my Soul Grinder look more Nurgley and this is the result:

It also has a pair of Plague Drone wings on the back. I'm pretty happy with how it's come out. Going to paint the spines on the head like hairs, similar to the ones found on an actual fly's head. Hopefully with some painting I can make the eyes look less like I've made some green stuff strawberries. Compound eyes are a bitch to make.

Looks badass! Very creative.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Crackbone posted:

What about using an allen wrench as a greenstuff pattern-maker?

That part of the green stuff cured two days ago...

:negative:

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

Fuegan posted:

Very impressive! The tongue looks especially nice.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Fuegan posted:

Baxter Stockman... is that you?

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Baxter Stockman... is that you?

Haha I thought exactly this while making it :respek:

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
I doodled on my warjacks!

They came already assembled and partially painted, but I was too lazy to strip and clean them, so the paint job is pretty loving gross. I'm not losing sleep though.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.
Slowly chipping away at Escape from Goblin Town. Another 5 Goblins and some terrain down.

It's surprisingly, not difficult, but tiresome to paint these goblins. Their mutated forms, 18 different shapes in all, means you can't just space out and use the same brush strokes on one after the other. At least the terrain is simple dry brushing.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Buffalo squeeze posted:

goblin-y goodness

Those turned out fantastic! Makes me feel slightly more confident about painting an army.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good ratio of oil paint to mineral spirits for an oil wash? Also, what size brush would you recommend for not screwing up tiny details while pin washing?

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

LumberingTroll posted:

What is the general thoughts on Kings of War? I know the first impression is oh god a Warhammer rip off, but I have been reading up on it and I like a lot of the things they do. Fast play and way less fiddly for example, another thing that really striked me as neat is that the figures are not removed until the whole unit is wiped out. This means you can do mini dioramas, I really like this idea.

Sorry this was a while back, but I like it. It's Warhammer without all the fiddly stuff, and thus keeps me focused on the game and playing something I enjoy. I'm painting up Dorfs now.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Purgey posted:

Does anyone have that one goon's all-Nurgle demon army? Lots of counts-as demons and scratchbuilds/conversions were in it. Plus every model looked like it stepped out of a John Blanche drawing. I thought I saved it but it turns out I didn't. :(

You're probably thinking of PaintVagrant's commission for Zarkov Cortez; if you filter PV's posts I'm sure you'll find them.

Purgey
Nov 5, 2008

Sole.Sushi posted:

You're probably thinking of PaintVagrant's commission for Zarkov Cortez; if you filter PV's posts I'm sure you'll find them.

Thanks! I've been gathering up inspirational 40k stuff and that army is like, the best daemon army I've seen.

As thanks, here are some hot Ogryn tits

(not mine, sadly)

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

What... just happened?

vvv: Them's some dope lights.

Fix fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 22, 2013

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
I just finished my oath for this month: Ravenwing attack bikes.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The OSL and weathering are both nice, but you neglected some more basic stuff like drilling barrels, or at least painting the ends black.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Also I think the effect of your light would be amplified if you line highlighted with your blue onto the inside edges of the bolter barrels. So it doesn't just look like it's pointed down.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.

Fyrbrand posted:

The OSL and weathering are both nice, but you neglected some more basic stuff like drilling barrels, or at least painting the ends black.

That's a great idea and I am doing it once I get home. Somehow I missed it in other pictures. Im assuming I just paint the inside black once I drill it out?

Fix, also a good point and I will do that as well. Thanks both! Anything else, feel free to point it out, this is the beginning of a lot of bikes so I'm looking for anything to improve on - I'm working on line highlighting now, although that is a bitch.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Zhent posted:

I just finished my oath for this month: Ravenwing attack bikes.

Looks great, needs drilled barrels though.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Zhent posted:

That's a great idea and I am doing it once I get home. Somehow I missed it in other pictures. Im assuming I just paint the inside black once I drill it out?

Fix, also a good point and I will do that as well. Thanks both! Anything else, feel free to point it out, this is the beginning of a lot of bikes so I'm looking for anything to improve on - I'm working on line highlighting now, although that is a bitch.

Yeah some black inside the barrel once it's drilled. It'll look way better. Speaking of highlighting, it's a bitch to do but try to get some on those helmets. You can't really see the facial features at all in those pictures since all the black runs together. Optionally, paint some details on there in different colors. For example, the mouth grills or tubes could be done in metallic. Using a much brighter red for the eye lenses will help too.

Edit actually two of those dudes appear to be corvus helmets, so less detail on there to pick out. Highlights will help there though.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm a big fan of the lead pencil. After you drill your barrels and paint the inside black, take a sharp lead pencil and 'highlight' the metal edges inside the barrel. Do that with other well worn spots on dark paint (doesn't work as well on light) like ejection ports, metal ribs that would rub together, chipped edges on armor etc. Also makes for some good scratches.

Save this for your very last step, after varnish, so you still get some of that metallic shine. Super simple and rewarding. Just don't overdo it.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Here's some Nyss Hunters I painted.

Sure wish I could take better pics.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Those look very Nyss indeed. Great color scheme.

Is that the Dread Pirate Robtits? Robreasts? It looks like Andre(a) the Giant, is what I am trying to say.

IrvingWashington fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 23, 2013

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

Another WIP cross post of my Plague Marines from the oath thread. I am gradually getting better at highlighting and thining. I am hoping to pick up a wet palette whenever I get some extra cash and a 50% off coupon for Michaels. That should help with my thining problem I seem to under or over thin. Still working on getting that perfect mix.

TarDolphinorShark posted:

Another WIP shot. I got a little more work done on their fearless leader.

And a group shot. None of the nice colors come out on the cell pics but hopefully it will look as good as it does in person when I do the complete pictures on a real camera. As it stands now I mostly paint at work and have no access to a camera.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Another WIP cross post of my Plague Marines from the oath thread. I am gradually getting better at highlighting and thining. I am hoping to pick up a wet palette whenever I get some extra cash and a 50% off coupon for Michaels. That should help with my thining problem I seem to under or over thin. Still working on getting that perfect mix.

No need to buy a purpose-built wet palette. They literally are just shallow boxes with some sort of absorbent thing like a sponge, and some sort of semi-permeable cover like parchment paper.

Get yourself some tupperware or a shallow dish with a lid, put sponge or paper towels in the bottom, add enough water to saturate the towels but but be standing water, and cover it with parchment paper. Done.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
If you buy a wet pallette then you are a real sucker and should get in line to buy GW Greenstuff and PP Superglue.

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

I may have some parchment at home if so I have everything I need already. I will have to construct it.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

I may have some parchment at home if so I have everything I need already. I will have to construct it.

Put a couple of pennies in the bottom, under the paper towels. It'll prevent mildew for some magical chemistry reason.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

Purgey posted:

Thanks! I've been gathering up inspirational 40k stuff and that army is like, the best daemon army I've seen.

As thanks, here are some hot Ogryn tits

(not mine, sadly)

It's Hulk Hogryn.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

It's super easy, there's really no reason why anyone should pay for a pre-made wet pallette:

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Big Willy Style posted:

If you buy a wet pallette then you are a real sucker and should get in line to buy GW Greenstuff and PP Superglue.

The PP wet palette is a nice option for guys like me who had neither a spare sponge, container, or parchment paper laying around.
The thing was like 9 bucks and came with everything I needed to try it out, AND it snaps shut so I can reuse paint.

Considering that a cheap tupperware container+sponge and parchment paper will probably set you back around the same amount I don't think it's nearly on the level of things like GW greenstuff.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Apologies for the crappy phone picture but I just want some quick feedback on whether this first attempt at freehanding came out looking as bad as I think it it did:

Those are supposed to be leaves on the cloak but I now think it looked better without them.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Manifest posted:

The PP wet palette is a nice option for guys like me who had neither a spare sponge, container, or parchment paper laying around.
The thing was like 9 bucks and came with everything I needed to try it out, AND it snaps shut so I can reuse paint.

Considering that a cheap tupperware container+sponge and parchment paper will probably set you back around the same amount I don't think it's nearly on the level of things like GW greenstuff.

I think for the vast majority of people it is more convenient to go to a shopping centre to buy these things rather than a hobby store.

But yeah, I didn't realise it was only a tenner. Still, most people would have a sponge, baking paper and a tupperware container around. I suspect that your house is filthy and you eat Mc Donalds every night :v:

e:

Ok I have a goony solution for everyone who may be in a similar situation to Manifest.

1. Go to a Chinese self serve joint that has plastic containers that snap shut. Of course only put meat and no vegetables or rice in the container to really stick it to the man. Be careful not to get plum sauce from the pork ribs on your fedora, that poo poo is hard to get out of felt.

2. As you leave stuff your trenchcoat full of extra serviettes. Awkwardly avoid making eye contact to the 18 year old girl who serves you. You can use these instead of a sponge.

3. When you get home and settle in to your gaming den in the basement, yell for your mother or spouse to bring you baking paper.

You got yourself a serviceable wet palette. Throw it in the fridge to keep paints wet

e:

VVVV Ingenius!

Big Willy Style fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 23, 2013

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Big Willy Style posted:

I suspect that your house is filthy and you eat Mc Donalds every night :v:

Burger comes in a wrapper that will probably work, use the bun as a sponge.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I'm about the cheapest mini painter on these forums and even I broke down and bought a Masterson's Wet Palette. It is so much nicer than the home-brew one I made initially and using a %50 off coupon from Michaels made it super affordable.

(Don't forget you can rinse and reuse the papers you buy for your palette; I'm only on my second sheet after dozens of uses.)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Indolent Bastard posted:

I'm about the cheapest mini painter on these forums and even I broke down and bought a Masterson's Wet Palette. It is so much nicer than the home-brew one I made initially and using a %50 off coupon from Michaels made it super affordable.

(Don't forget you can rinse and reuse the papers you buy for your palette; I'm only on my second sheet after dozens of uses.)

A 20m roll of the stuff is like £1

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

sassassin posted:

A 20m roll of the stuff is like £1

Acrylic Paper or Parchment Paper? Because while PP might be cheaper AP is less of a pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Watching some Miniwargaming painting tutorials and the guy is using a glass panel as his pallet where he drops the paint. I've seen this in a lot of tutorials. Do any of you guys do it too? I take it that it is nicer since you can just clean the glass when you are done instead of going through single use plates like I do.

• Locked thread