Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

krooj posted:

Maybe a month of lag? Haswell is next month, so I guess they will announce some stuff at WWDC and then again in fall for the BTS circle-jerk.

Rumors have Intel already shipping Haswell chips to large OEMs so it's a pretty good bet they will have Haswell based mac orders up on announcement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

I said come in! posted:

What is Apples upgrade history like? Is there a chance they will use Haswell in their new MBP's, or will we probably have to wait a year?

As everyone mentioned, they'll use Haswell this year. Apple and Intel have been, like, BFF's since they started working on Thunderbolt. There was a period of time where none of the other OEMs could even get a shipment of ULV CPUs because Apple had dibs on them all.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

As everyone mentioned, they'll use Haswell this year. Apple and Intel have been, like, BFF's since they started working on Thunderbolt. There was a period of time where none of the other OEMs could even get a shipment of ULV CPUs because Apple had dibs on them all.

I am glad I am waiting then. :)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Bamabalacha posted:

I bought the 2013 15" rMBP a few months back and (aside from it getting hotter than the Mojave when I play certain games) I only have one small quibble:

What the gently caress is up with the MagSafe2 adapter? If I move my laptop 2 inches across my desk, it falls out. If I recross my legs while it's on my lap, it falls out. If I lift the computer up a few inches to plug something in, it loving FALLS OUT. I've been using Apple laptops as my primary computers since 1997 and I've never had this many many issues with the god drat power cord. Is this a common issue? Are there any fixes?

Another question: any recommendations for the best external drive choice for using Time Machine in OS X and for backing up my Win 7 partition?

Absolute number one pet peeve about the damned thing. Drives me bonkers.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

mediaphage posted:

Absolute number one pet peeve about the damned thing. Drives me bonkers.

Same here. It's impossible to use it on a soft surface such as a bed or sofa without it falling out constantly. The slim connector on my Air is SO much better.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

That would be such a tiny fraction of the market

In my line of physics research, over half the scientists I work with use macs. But right now they all use a macbook to do their office work and browsing and then ssh into linux machines to do data analysis. I think if there were reasonably expandable mac towers academics would snap them up because they are able to run all of the unix software we use while also having full compatibility for day to day computer usage.

Of course, a lot of us just get grants or our institutions to pay for mac pros. :whatup:

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Anyone have one of those new quad-core Mac Minis with a fusion drive and have any comments on its performance? Thinking of pulling the trigger on one as a rails development machine (I currently use a 2011 maxed out MBA 11" and it works surprisingly well), but could use some extra storage.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Lexicon posted:

Anyone have one of those new quad-core Mac Minis with a fusion drive and have any comments on its performance? Thinking of pulling the trigger on one as a rails development machine (I currently use a 2011 maxed out MBA 11" and it works surprisingly well), but could use some extra storage.

I just bought one as an upgrade to my 2007 imac. Great machine all around. The fusion drive really is a great idea and performs very well. I put an ssd in my imac a while back to give it some new life, which it did, but the processor was having trouble keeping up with things like Lightroom and 1080p video. The core i7 in the mini handles those things perfectly. If you don't need a dedicated GPU for anything, the mini is perfect.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Brock Landers posted:

I just bought one as an upgrade to my 2007 imac. Great machine all around. The fusion drive really is a great idea and performs very well. I put an ssd in my imac a while back to give it some new life, which it did, but the processor was having trouble keeping up with things like Lightroom and 1080p video. The core i7 in the mini handles those things perfectly. If you don't need a dedicated GPU for anything, the mini is perfect.

Cool. The lack of GPU is really the only thing that gives me some pause. I'm not a gamer, but I do have a Steam account and wouldn't mind firing up Portal again at some point. I guess it has the same integrated graphics as my MBA which actually performs well enough for my needs in that regard.

What's the go-to place for buying Mac RAM these days? I assume it's still a crazy ripoff to get it B.T.O. with Apple...

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If you can wait some indeterminate amount of time you can wait for Haswell for the GPU bump. As for RAM I just buy whatever correct spec off Newegg or Amazon after checking reviews from other Mac users (whether in the buyer reviews or places like MacRumors' machine specific forums).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lexicon posted:

Cool. The lack of GPU is really the only thing that gives me some pause. I'm not a gamer, but I do have a Steam account and wouldn't mind firing up Portal again at some point. I guess it has the same integrated graphics as my MBA which actually performs well enough for my needs in that regard.

What's the go-to place for buying Mac RAM these days? I assume it's still a crazy ripoff to get it B.T.O. with Apple...

All I need to be able to do is play Starbound (there will be a native Mac version). :3:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Or set up a BootCamp - Win 7 partition just for Steam, like I did.
Just make sure to upgrade the RAM, regardless of cpu. 4gb ain't enough.

The i5 Mini runs Valve games/Torchlight 2 just fine, which covers most of my :pcgaming: needs.
I generally only get what doesn't come out on console (cause I love my XBL bros :respek: ), so it's mostly casual/sim fare.
In Canada, the refurb mini's price was actually competitive with BB's AMD shitboxes, but obviously better build quality.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 19, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

My 2010" 27 iMac has started artifacting in the last day or so; maybe it's the warmer weather. I am not looking forward to having to do undo my DIY Fusion drive in there before I take it to the fruit stand. :suicide:

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

japtor posted:

If you can wait some indeterminate amount of time you can wait for Haswell for the GPU bump. As for RAM I just buy whatever correct spec off Newegg or Amazon after checking reviews from other Mac users (whether in the buyer reviews or places like MacRumors' machine specific forums).

Couldn't wait. Ended up pulling the trigger on the quad-core version with a fusion drive :D

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Lexicon posted:

Couldn't wait. Ended up pulling the trigger on the quad-core version with a fusion drive :D
We've started to buy these for some of the staff at work who want Mac desktops but don't want iMacs or want a pair of matched screens. They're nice and fast with the fusion drive and the quad core will handle any workload that isn't super graphically intensive without breaking a sweat. My only suggestion would be to throw 8GB of RAM in it if you haven't already as OS X works better the more RAM you throw at it.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Mercurius posted:

We've started to buy these for some of the staff at work who want Mac desktops but don't want iMacs or want a pair of matched screens. They're nice and fast with the fusion drive and the quad core will handle any workload that isn't super graphically intensive without breaking a sweat. My only suggestion would be to throw 8GB of RAM in it if you haven't already as OS X works better the more RAM you throw at it.

Nice... Glad to hear they are working well. I'll definitely spring for 8GB... Probably even 16GB if I can get it at a reasonable price.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Lexicon posted:

Nice... Glad to hear they are working well. I'll definitely spring for 8GB... Probably even 16GB if I can get it at a reasonable price.
Yeah, 16GB is cheap these days and replacing it in the Minis is really easy. Just remember that it's only got integrated graphics (which is the same as our Dell Optiplexes anyway) so while normal use is fine, stuff like editing very large images in Photoshop, editing HD video or anything more than light gaming probably isn't going to work great on it. If you're just planning on using it for day to day stuff I think you'll be happy with it, though.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Mercurius posted:

Yeah, 16GB is cheap these days and replacing it in the Minis is really easy. Just remember that it's only got integrated graphics (which is the same as our Dell Optiplexes anyway) so while normal use is fine, stuff like editing very large images in Photoshop, editing HD video or anything more than light gaming probably isn't going to work great on it. If you're just planning on using it for day to day stuff I think you'll be happy with it, though.

I think it will work out great as a development machine and general file storage / syncing station... I have basically no use for it in mind that will require a GPU. The MBA I have has the same integrated graphics and it has worked out swimmingly so far.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

For those of you wondering why Apple keeps the non Retina 13" MacBook Pro around:

My Mom just bought one

:ughh:

She thinks she might buy a piece of software that needs a CD Rom Drive but wanted something small and portable. I tried to tell her about the magic of Remote Disc (I just gave them my old Core 2 XXXXTreme iMac), and the beauty of the MacBook Air, but no, she bought the 13" Pro, vanilla non retina.

The guys of the fruit stand must have had to dust off the box before they brought it up front.

After they stopped laughing.

/rant

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I wish they's included a drive in the current Mini.
I really want to rip all my DVDs and CDs for Plex/XBMC.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Ultimate Mango posted:

For those of you wondering why Apple keeps the non Retina 13" MacBook Pro around:

My Mom just bought one

:ughh:

She thinks she might buy a piece of software that needs a CD Rom Drive but wanted something small and portable. I tried to tell her about the magic of Remote Disc (I just gave them my old Core 2 XXXXTreme iMac), and the beauty of the MacBook Air, but no, she bought the 13" Pro, vanilla non retina.

The guys of the fruit stand must have had to dust off the box before they brought it up front.

After they stopped laughing.

/rant

On the plus side you have 15 days to convince her to return it with no restocking fee :v:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
As someone who works at a fruit stand, they won't loving stop buying them. Shittiest screen around, but no one cares.

There's something just overwhelmingly attractive about a superdrive.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

OLD PEOPLE LIKE 1280x800

When are you guys going to understand that?

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

OLD PEOPLE LIKE 1280x800

When are you guys going to understand that?

Retina everything and downscale by default :ssh:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

OLD PEOPLE LIKE 1280x800 watching dvds in bed with their laptop.

Fixed that for you. My dad just bought one too, and one of his main uses for it is as a portable dvd player. And no he does not have netflix (or cable for that matter)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Fixed that for you. My dad just bought one too, and one of his main uses for it is as a portable dvd player. And no he does not have netflix (or cable for that matter)

My parents are still on VHS.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro
If my MacBook broke today I'd probably replace it with a non-retina Pro.

No, seriously.

It's the cheapest MacBook that does what I need it to do; namely hold lots of files in one place and let me browse the interwebs in bed.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Silver95280 posted:

If my MacBook broke today I'd probably replace it with a non-retina Pro.

No, seriously.

It's the cheapest MacBook that does what I need it to do; namely hold lots of files in one place and let me browse the interwebs in bed.

There really isn't anything wrong with it, and you can stick 2 HD's and 16GB of RAM in the drat thing. It'd be nice if they had upgraded the screen in the drat thing, it's probably the same as it was back in the 2009/2010 model isn't it?

It might sound expensive but there isn't much else in the non-$500 13" laptop market. Although if you pay $1199 for one you're a sucker. $999 at one of the many discounts is really not a bad price for it.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

It might sound expensive but there isn't much else in the non-$500 13" laptop market. Although if you pay $1199 for one you're a sucker. $999 at one of the many discounts is really not a bad price for it.

I think my Mom spent $1500 on hers. I didn't even think it was possible, but apparently the fruit stand had an upgraded model.

Then she went and got the cheapest 23" monitor she could find to use at home (90% of use) with a generic wireless mouse and keyboard.

I can't wait for the call where I have to explain to her about the 'Windows key' on her wireless keyboard. :smithicide:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

I can't wait for the call where I have to explain to her about the 'Windows key' on her wireless keyboard. :smithicide:

I've been using a Dell keyboard with my MBPr, and it's a pain in the rear end. Just because of the Windows key. Sure, it acts just like the Command key, but it has changed places with the option/alt key in placement. It's weird just how awkward it feels to do Command and whatever key.

The only reason why I'm doing this is because my Apple aluminum keyboard doesn't work with my KVM, probably because of the extra USB ports on the keyboard, and the KVM isn't supplying power. But besides the Windows key, the Apple keyboard is such much better to type on.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

IUG posted:

I've been using a Dell keyboard with my MBPr, and it's a pain in the rear end. Just because of the Windows key. Sure, it acts just like the Command key, but it has changed places with the option/alt key in placement. It's weird just how awkward it feels to do Command and whatever key.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

IUG posted:

The only reason why I'm doing this is because my Apple aluminum keyboard doesn't work with my KVM, probably because of the extra USB ports on the keyboard, and the KVM isn't supplying power. But besides the Windows key, the Apple keyboard is such much better to type on.

edit: see ^^

You can switch the keys around in system preferences.

A couple guys here don't like Apple keyboards or don't want to deal with wireless bullshit and just have the old Dell keyboards plugged in.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm getting the non-retina 13" because I just need this for school, and I have a desktop PC for everything else.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I've decided that I'm going to buy a Macbook (after WWDC) but I'm not sure what's the best choice.

I'm going to be using it on my couch 90% of the time and I plan to play games 90% of the time. However, I'm talking about the "lighter" games such as Dwarf Fortress, Prison Architect, Terraria, Minecraft, etc. I am not going to play Bioshock Infinite or anything similar to it. Maybe something like X-Com Enemy Unknown as well... (slow turn-based games, etc)

Is it worth getting a "retina" Macbook (Macbook Air refresh? ...or Retina Macbook Pro) or the lower resolution (1400x900) models?

I'm concerned that a retina macbook has such high resolution that even simple games will choke. The lower resolution makes it much easier on the GPU... but maybe the games I want to play will still be OK in retina resolution?

How well do the retina models scale to lower resolutions? (for example, I think non-retina iPad applications look BETTER on the iPad 2 because of the native resolution than scaled up on the iPad 3/4...)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah, I knew that could be done, and I don't really have an excuse for why I haven't done it yet. So now I will instead of trying to struggle against it for no reason.

But also the keys themselves. This keyboard is just so big and clunky compared to the neat and small Apple aluminum keyboard that I prefer.

EDIT: Oddly, that doesn't work. Even after changing those two keys around, it's still Windows key W to close a window, quit a program, open a tab, etc.

Nevermind, it turns out that drop down menu at the top was on the Apple keyboard, and there was an option for this Dell keyboard.

IUG fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 20, 2013

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I propose a new title for the thread once all this WWDC business is behind us-

Mac Hardware Megathread- the SuperDrive is dead, long live the SuperDrive

Vinlaen posted:

I've decided that I'm going to buy a Macbook (after WWDC)....

Honestly, I'd get whichever computer you're most comfortable with/most comfortable paying for. For the games you're listing and the things you seem to plan on doing with it, the extra resolution on a retina screen would be nice but not really a deal-breaker.

The Air is thinner, lighter, and cheaper and it will perform the same as the 13" rMBP aside from the display. That might be all you need.

As far as there being a performance hit with the 13" rMBP's GPU/display pairing- honestly, a lot of the concerns initially voiced ("the GPU isn't powerful enough to run this display at "pro"-worthy levels," etc.) were valid but a bit overblown. With the games you're listing, you probably wouldn't notice too much of a difference over the Air with a current-gen rMBP. Given that you're smartly waiting until after the Haswell refresh (and the big GPU bump that's coming), any display/graphics problems should become a lot more trivial in that generation.

I think a 15" rMBP is overkill for you, and I think that you do as well- but if not, it's a gorgeous machine with a beautiful, spacious, massively detailed display that will probably make you very happy for a lot more money.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

One of the biggest things about a rMBP over the cMBP and Air is that you get two Thunderbolt ports as well as the HDMI port. So you can push 3 monitors without having to resort to USB adapters or gimmicks like the Matrox DualHead2Go

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

One of the biggest things about a rMBP over the cMBP and Air is that you get two Thunderbolt ports as well as the HDMI port. So you can push 3 monitors without having to resort to USB adapters or gimmicks like the Matrox DualHead2Go

I am running 3 1080p monitors + the internal on my 15in rMBP and it is a dream. I absolutely love this computer.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
As for the Mini being great for light gaming, it's true. However if you do any regular gaming on it, you may want to flip it over and take the back cover off. The thermal specs for the core i7 in mine are up to 200F but when it's running the fan at full speed and still hovering around 190F it's a bit concerning.

Flipping it over and taking the bottom plate off dropped it from 190F in game to 130F in game, much more reasonable. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

What's the simplest (and cheapest) way to get more than one external monitor on a Air?