Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The Supreme Court posted:

I think the Express is actually worse than Mac's offensiveness. It assumes the audience is so stupid they'll miss the context of Prince Harry being in the U.S., the Statue of Liberty, a skyline of skyscrapers, the Chrysler building and not one but four massive American flags, so they've broken the dialogue to point out that yes, this is a comic strip based in the U.S.

Unfortunately, it's not that unrealistic. People here love to let you know what country you're in. I've never seen pictures of any other country that are so dense with flags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

prefect posted:

Unfortunately, it's not that unrealistic. People here love to let you know what country you're in. I've never seen pictures of any other country that are so dense with flags.

We have a holiday celebrating the flag and patriotic songs devoted to the flag. Not even the metaphorical concepts behind the flag and thus our nation really, it mostly centers on the flag itself. Though neither tend to be particularly popular they do exist. I had never thought about how bizarre that is until just now.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

cafel posted:

We have a holiday celebrating the flag and patriotic songs devoted to the flag. Not even the metaphorical concepts behind the flag and thus our nation really, it mostly centers on the flag itself. Though neither tend to be particularly popular they do exist. I had never thought about how bizarre that is until just now.
"Where else but in American—or possibly Canada—could our family find such opportunity. That's why, whenever I see the Stars & Stripes, I'll always be reminded of that wonderful word: flag."
- The Simpsons, 'Mr Lisa Goes to Washington'.

I hadn't realised that was an actual thing in America. :/

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
It is. But you soon stop noticing them.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"All sides in Syria have weapons 'except the good guys', says British official"

Telegraph:

Tories 'n' Europe; also the 70th anniversary of Operation Chastise, which inspired the film The Dam Busters.

Independent:

HS2 rail benefits to economy 'unclear', says National Audit Office

Daily Express:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Y-you guys understand that Prince Harry is not on our radar at all, right?

Like, he is not on the radar of serious people. He is not on the radar of celebrity chasers. He is not the subject of any viral videos. We are NOT PAYING ATTENTION TO HIM. For some reason the assertion that Prince Harry is interesting to us is the most offensive thing I've read in this thread.

e: VVV Don't listen to this person, they are clearly delusional.

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 17, 2013

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

SedanChair posted:

Like, he is not on the radar of serious people. He is not on the radar of celebrity chasers. He is not the subject of any viral videos. We are NOT PAYING ATTENTION TO HIM. For some reason the assertion that Prince Harry is interesting to us is the most offensive thing I've read in this thread.

I know a bunch of people who were following his trip because he's decently attractive and royalty, which apparently really does it for some folks. Also some people laughed because he didn't know how to throw an American football.

Clapham Omnibus
Nov 11, 2006

SedanChair posted:

e: VVV Don't listen to this person, they are clearly delusional.

Similarly, please understand that only Express readers think Prince Harry is on anyone's radar over here too.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Cloud Potato posted:

Daily Express:

This is like the second time he advocates taking military actions against the EU.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guardian:

Martin Rowson on Alex Salmond and Nigel Farage.
SNP leader accuses Farage of touting obnoxious policies after Ukip leader labels protesters 'fascist scum'.

But their leader came across very well on Have I Got News For You! :boris: :shepface:

Telegraph:

:scotland:

Indy:

Conservative ministers Michael Gove and Philip Hammond break ranks to say they would vote for Britain to exit EU.
Speaking on the BBC's Andrew Marr show he also revealed he would abstain from the Commons vote on an EU referendum next week.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...eu-8612646.html

David Cameron rebukes Michael Gove and Philip Hammond as he criticises Tories for 'throwing in the towel' over Europe and EU referendum.
David Cameron, who is in Washington for talks with President Barack Obama, hit out at prominent Tories who favour withdrawal for “throwing in the towel”.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...um-8613484.html

Some other Gove related news!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-22558756
Michael Gove like a fanatical personal trainer, union says.
The education secretary is like a "fanatical personal trainer" who urges schools to jump higher and run faster, a head teachers' leader is to say.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-22538237
Education Secretary Michael Gove has defended his attack on a teacher who suggested students could create a Mr Men character based on Adolf Hitler.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22566867
Michael Gove has backed plans to build more homes on green field sites - provided they are things of "beauty".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22542207
A bill paving the way for a referendum on the UK's EU membership will be introduced by a Conservative MP.

Daily Mail:

quote:

Scientists have managed to create the possibility of cloning babies.

quote:

“Go on. They took a sliver of your skin and put it into a test tube…..What then ?”

:psypop:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 09:09 on May 18, 2013

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Fluo posted:

But their leader came across very well on Have I Got News For You! :boris: :shepface:

Daily Mail:

:psypop:

Loving that Stephen Collins.

For the Daily Mail is that a Village of the Damned reference?
Edit: Or seeing as it is Mac maybe it is meant to be 'women only care about babies'?

FairyNuff fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 18, 2013

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Geokinesis posted:

For the Daily Mail is that a Village of the Damned reference?
Edit: Or seeing as it is Mac maybe it is meant to be 'women only care about babies'?

Nah, it's just that his wife has had herself cloned 20 times while he smokes in front of the TV. This being Mac you might argue that it's a "cloning will make men obsolete! :byodood:" cartoon, but Brian K Vaughan did that better over 60 issues.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Fluo posted:

Guardian:

Martin Rowson on Alex Salmond and Nigel Farage.
SNP leader accuses Farage of touting obnoxious policies after Ukip leader labels protesters 'fascist scum'.

What in god's name is going on with the Fur Cup in that last panel?

Also that Collins one is great.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Fluo posted:

Indy:

Conservative ministers Michael Gove and Philip Hammond break ranks to say they would vote for Britain to exit EU.
Speaking on the BBC's Andrew Marr show he also revealed he would abstain from the Commons vote on an EU referendum next week.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...eu-8612646.html

Did the Indy guy (also, that's a new Indy guy) really just draw Gove gargling piss?

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

Mr. Squishy posted:

Did the Indy guy (also, that's a new Indy guy) really just draw Gove gargling piss?

I think the purple-and-yellow is meant to indicate that it's regurgitated UKIP bollocks.

I like the suggestions of Gove gargling piss though, so let's go with that.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I like the dog, with his face draped over the arm of the chair. :3:

HCO Plumer GCB GCM
Apr 29, 2010

"Gentlemen, we may not make history tomorrow, but we shall certainly change the geography."

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

It appears to be vomiting fire and brimstone.

I guess that's what fur cups do when they reach a certain tipping-point.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

This is a level beyond Fur Cup. You can call it Fur Cup 2.

Observer:

Independent On Sunday:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Holy gently caress no labels?

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

mfcrocker posted:

Hi, Riddell? Great, hey. Yeah, I've got the draft here, it's fantastic! I know, he looks like such a poo poo! But I'm glad you mentioned him, because I have got one small ask before you submit it. The thing he's holding, the stabby....skewer. Knife! Sure, the readers will get that, but I don't think they'll understand the subtext. Could you write "Leadership Challenge" on it for me? Splendid! Ta-ta, bye now!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

mfcrocker posted:

Well, there's still "Hello, Dave, it's your personal demons here", but it's definitely progress.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
The Guardian:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Telegraph:

Geoffrey Howe, former Foreign Secretary under Thatcher, gives his thoughts on Cameron, Tories 'n' Europe.
Via Wikipedia, 'Labour Chancellor Denis Healey in 1978 claimed an attack from Howe was "like being savaged by a dead sheep".[2]'

Independent:

Express:

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

I too frequently read the papers upside down if I fancy challenging myself

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Answers Me posted:

I too frequently read the papers upside down if I fancy challenging myself
That dead sheep is frankly embarrassing compared to the versions above. I know that's true of the art in general,but that just stuck out here.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

I'm a battle scarred veteran of the Political Cartoons thread and this fucker is just killing me. He's just so loving poo poo.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
I love the bird in that one too, just peeping in through the window

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Hi, I'm David Cameron. I have wavy red hair, ruddy cheeks and a strong chin. These are features I have.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

SedanChair posted:

Hi, I'm David Cameron. I have wavy red hair, ruddy cheeks and a strong chin. These are features I have.

To be fair when I was digging around for material for this poo poo

I saw this:

quote:

Over a coffee at the Punch Tavern on Fleet Street, I ask Thomas of the Express how he draws the Prime Minister. “I don’t draw him any more, I just draw that” – and, grabbing a napkin, he sketches two round eyes on top of an unfinished triangle of a nose – “and readers know that’s Cameron now. All cartoonists draw versions of each other’s caricatures, and [he looks] nothing like what I draw, but people still know because I juxtapose him outside No 10. He’s got a waxwork face.”

But then I also saw this:

quote:

Have you ever had a cartoon refused publication?
I’ve had many cartoons refused at the roughs stage. I did a cartoon of a nude Cherie Blair in the style of Lucien Freud a couple of months ago which nearly got pulled but luckily it slipped through. And there were no complaints. I’m still trying to find a publisher for a book of cartoons about Mohammed.

In case you were under any illusions

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Paul Thomas reminds me of Terry Wise over in the main politoons thread. They have the same lovely draftsmanship, unrecognisable caricatures and addiction to having a character pointing and laboriously explaining the joke. Plus the terrible opinions mixed with a tiny bit of fear at being increasingly old and irrelevant in a terrifying new world.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

Telegraph:

Independent:

Daily Mail:

"MPs are voting on an amendment to the Gay marriage issue."

quote:

“Would you like to come in for a cup of coffee thereafter giving me all the tax advantages of a civil partnership?”

Express:

:monocle:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Why are they giant bellbottoms?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Is the guy with the mustache anyone in particular? Or just a generic old money Tory?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

So many good places to hide a bird and he basically doesn't even try. Shameful.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

Why are they giant bellbottoms?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/may/20/tories-warn-confidence-david-cameron
The PM has emailed a 'personal note' to members saying he would never work with anyone who 'sneered' at activists.

:lsd:

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Cliff Racer posted:

So many good places to hide a bird and he basically doesn't even try. Shameful.

EDIT: I completely misread this

Niric fucked around with this message at 11:54 on May 21, 2013

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
Look how SHOCKED and DISGUSTED they all are.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

I unironically hope that one display at Chelsea Flower Show will be on exactly that theme.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
:3: :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
I love that the gnomes are just standing around, smiling, being a perfectly inoffensive gay couple and just holding hands, and everyone else is looking at them like "oh god gay gnomes moral collapse".

• Locked thread