Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Still haven't come up with a wheel idea, but otherwise declaring: SUCCESSFUL PROJECT.

I'd show the hood open but its not currently attached because my drill is too big :downsgun: Luckily my dad has a small one he'll bring to the party and we can pop it on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Alaan posted:

With the point I'm at not strictly speaking a woodworking question but seemed a good place to ask. I'm making a toybox for my nephew that is an SUV as seen below!

Obviously the major work is knocked out, but coming up blank on what I want to do for wheels. I think for actual movement I'm just going to shove some casters on the bottom and call it a day, but I want to put something on the sides that at least look like wheels but don't quite touch the ground. I looked at lawn mower wheels but they were about $10 each. So hoping for a cheaper solution I can paint up to look right.

For scale the whole thing is 48" long, 18" wide, and 14" high at the roof.

Edit: Major construction was done at my parents' so my access to nice tools is much more limited for something already in about the right shape.

Why not make up wooden wheels and a dowel for an axel? A big hole saw will make up some wheels quick.

Casters is cheating. It's like when you bring home the toy tank and find out that there are wheels hidden behind the treads instead of real working treads. Maybe other people didn't care but that was a always a disappointment for me.

But so far that looks fantastic.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Alaan posted:

Still haven't come up with a wheel idea, but otherwise declaring: SUCCESSFUL PROJECT.

I'd show the hood open but its not currently attached because my drill is too big :downsgun: Luckily my dad has a small one he'll bring to the party and we can pop it on there.

I would have loved that as a kid, nice project. If you don't have the tools to make wood wheels, try a farm store if you have one, they will have more types of wheels than you knew existed.

If nothing else, you can cut wheels with a jig saw and make a sanding jig to make them perfectly round.
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0oG7n6ayZZRi0kAZjdXNyoA?p=circle+sanding+jig&fr=crmas&fr2=piv-web

Cmdr. Chompernuts
Jun 6, 2004

Clearly the only answer is to restore a stanley #20

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Pine, baked and unbaked. Guess it's not just the surface but goes all the way through.

Interesting ukulele build here:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?80281-Repeat-Performance

Cmdr. Chompernuts
Jun 6, 2004

I'm getting an old Craftsman drill press this weekend. Are the v-link belts worth it for drill presses, or is that excessive?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I've got a regular belt on my (craftsman) drill press and it seems fine. I have some extra power twist I could slap on to find out, but for that particular case, if you don't have it handy, I probably wouldn't bother.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Hello SA Woodworkers (and SA in general, I guess.)

To get right to it, I'm making a prop axe, and I'm making it out of wood! I have some woodworking experience, and a variety of tools, but I'm looking for some advice on exactly how to make it. Specifically, I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to attach the head to the haft.

I have a 1-1/4" x 48" dowel for the haft (which will be 40" long at the end), some 1-1/2" dowel for the endcaps (can't really call it a pommel...), some 3/4" x 12" x 48" pine for the 2 heads, and some small dowels to affix stuff together. My main question is: do you think a few dowels will be enough to hold a head of that size (about 11" tall and 24" long) onto the haft, even with the head being fairly light? From my experience, the small head should be fine with dowels and glue, but I'm worried about the large head. Thanks in advance.

Reference photo:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

My main question is: do you think a few dowels will be enough to hold a head of that size

Yes it could work, but the devil is in the details.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
My coffee table is starting to take shape. The end of the frame is in sight, more bars and arches on the long apron. Then it's time for the top or the shelf, not too sure what to expect on the top. I've never done any mitres before and these are going to be in plain sight. I've got a mitre box, so I guess I'll see how it goes. Any tips for tight fitting mitre joints?

The bars are held in place with dowels and there's shallow mortise and tenons holding the aprons and legs in place. I'm going to put in corner brackets for more support, wood ones hopefully but if it's too much of a pain in the rear end then I'll get some metal ones.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Meow Meow Meow posted:

My coffee table is starting to take shape. The end of the frame is in sight, more bars and arches on the long apron. Then it's time for the top or the shelf, not too sure what to expect on the top. I've never done any mitres before and these are going to be in plain sight. I've got a mitre box, so I guess I'll see how it goes. Any tips for tight fitting mitre joints?

The bars are held in place with dowels and there's shallow mortise and tenons holding the aprons and legs in place. I'm going to put in corner brackets for more support, wood ones hopefully but if it's too much of a pain in the rear end then I'll get some metal ones.

Coming along nicely. How is the top built that it will have miters? Plywood with edging? If so, you don't have to miter them. Another technique is glue on the side edging and cut the ends off flush, then glue on a thicker end edging for a faux breadboard look. To answer the question, the only real tricks with miters is accurate cutting and/or accurate shooting with a hand plane (or miter trimmer but few people have those).

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

wormil posted:

Coming along nicely. How is the top built that it will have miters? Plywood with edging? If so, you don't have to miter them. Another technique is glue on the side edging and cut the ends off flush, then glue on a thicker end edging for a faux breadboard look. To answer the question, the only real tricks with miters is accurate cutting and/or accurate shooting with a hand plane (or miter trimmer but few people have those).

Thanks, that's exactly what I'm doing, plywood with a border, thinking of doing an inlay border of maple between the plywood and the solid wood. Thanks for the tips, I'll try my hand at a couple mitres then if that fails I'll go for the breadboard look.

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

wormil posted:

Pine, baked and unbaked. Guess it's not just the surface but goes all the way through.

Interesting ukulele build here:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?80281-Repeat-Performance

What do you mean by "baked"? Physically in the oven? The pieces look a bit large for that.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

jvick posted:

What do you mean by "baked"? Physically in the oven? The pieces look a bit large for that.

yep. the thread is a neat, weird read, check it out

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

jvick posted:

They are ukulele fretboards so probably about 14" long. Baked in an oven at 225f for an hour.

Daggerpants
Aug 31, 2004

I am Kara Zor-El, the last daughter of Krypton
I want to make something similar to this. What would be the most ideal way of fixing the state boarder pieces to the back panel?

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

Daggerpants posted:

I want to make something similar to this. What would be the most ideal way of fixing the state boarder pieces to the back panel?

How big will it be? Looks larger than a single 4x8 sheet of ply. Were you planning on cutting out each state individually? If so, it'd be easy to route a 3/8" rabbet on the perimeter of each state.

If you were just going to attach the state boarder pieces atop a solid single sheet, glues and brads would probably suffice as each state would be reinforcing each other nicely.

Daggerpants
Aug 31, 2004

I am Kara Zor-El, the last daughter of Krypton

kafkasgoldfish posted:

How big will it be? Looks larger than a single 4x8 sheet of ply. Were you planning on cutting out each state individually? If so, it'd be easy to route a 3/8" rabbet on the perimeter of each state.

If you were just going to attach the state boarder pieces atop a solid single sheet, glues and brads would probably suffice as each state would be reinforcing each other nicely.

Well the space I have to fill is about 5x9, so 4x8 might be best for the sake of simplicity. I was hoping to keep a single solid back piece and then attach all the boarders to that. I'd be concerned shooting brads blindly from the rear for fear of blowing out the sidewall of the boarder piece. My concern with shrinking it down is that actual books still fit in the majority of the states.

Daggerpants fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 28, 2013

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

wormil posted:

They are ukulele fretboards so probably about 14" long. Baked in an oven at 225f for an hour.

Crazy, never heard of it. Sounds really interesting.

Here's a project I completed this weekend for the fiance. A potting table made from an old porch that I tore out of a friend's rental property. The frame of the table I just made from redwood 2x4's, and 4x4's. It's 47" wide, 32" high, 24" deep. Scored a lot of brownie points with this thing!

Potting Bench by jvick125, on Flickr

Potting Bench from reclaimed wood by jvick125, on Flickr

Potting Bench from reclaimed wood by jvick125, on Flickr

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
So, the axe is starting to take shape:

I have to take the end caps in (the ... pommel and top cap? It's an axe, so my normal sword logic doesn't seem to apply here.) to work and turn them on a belt sander, and I'll take an electric sander to the heads to get them to size / give them an 'edge'.

I think I'll drill through the haft and screw the larger head in, and use the smaller head to cover it up (while using the dowels for it.) Now it looks like the hard part will be sanding down the holes in the heads.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Daggerpants posted:

It looks to me like they cut out each state then attached the 'shelves'; each state being an independent shelf as I can see white between them. I can't think of anything better than glue and screws, doing it that way.

Another way would be to cut out each state allowing for a 3/4" gap between which will become a dado for the 'shelves'. That allows you to run pocket screws from each state into adjoining shelves, tying the whole thing together.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
I've got one of those solid oak frame-and-panel doors with a carved center panel. The finish and existing stain is totally shot and I'm stuck with sanding it back to bare wood.

Is there some mercifully easy way to get this...

...back to raw wood without ending up with raw, bloody stumps for fingers?

I've entertained doing the ground properly and then just scuff sanding the relief, but (a) I can't decide if the different color from the patina and old stain would look stupid, and (b) there's so little stain penetration I may blow through it anyway trying to scuff it up.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 31, 2013

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Hi, I'm looking to make a few things, starting with a basic workbench. I also want to make some bedroom wall shelves (simple ones first) and a patio table (farm style) and benches. I haven't done any woodworking before. I'm looking at these three books on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Woodwork-Step...rds=woodworking

http://www.amazon.com/Tauntons-Complete-Illustrated-Guide-Woodworking/dp/B003NHR66I

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Manual-Woodworking-Albert-Jackson/dp/0679766111/ref=pd_sim_b_6

Besides books, I was thinking of picking up a circular saw. Should I just go for the cheapest one I can find? I imagine for now I'll only use it for straight cutting and notch cutting. What features should I look for and how big of a blade should I be looking at? I already have a drill that I think is good enough for drilling and screwing. Is it a good idea to buy used power tools to save money?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Dudebro posted:

Hi, I'm looking to make a few things, starting with a basic workbench. I also want to make some bedroom wall shelves (simple ones first) and a patio table (farm style) and benches. I haven't done any woodworking before. I'm looking at these three books on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Woodwork-Step...rds=woodworking

http://www.amazon.com/Tauntons-Complete-Illustrated-Guide-Woodworking/dp/B003NHR66I

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Manual-Woodworking-Albert-Jackson/dp/0679766111/ref=pd_sim_b_6

Besides books, I was thinking of picking up a circular saw. Should I just go for the cheapest one I can find? I imagine for now I'll only use it for straight cutting and notch cutting. What features should I look for and how big of a blade should I be looking at? I already have a drill that I think is good enough for drilling and screwing. Is it a good idea to buy used power tools to save money?

I love the enthusiasm of a new hobbyist. Generally you should never 'buy the cheapest' when it comes to tools. There are several sayings that go along with this, "The most expensive tools are those you buy twice," and "You feel the pain of buying a good tool only once but you feel the pain of buying a cheap tool every time you use it." That said, there are some tools that you can get away with buying 'inexpensive' (not necessarily the cheapest). A cheap bandsaw is better than no bandsaw, ditto for a drill press; but a very good version of either is far less frustrating. I've used cheap circular saws and expensive ones and the difference isn't too significant. Unless you plan on doing a lot of construction just buy something mid-range. I like used tools but I look for stuff that a homeowner bought and used a couple times, or buying from another woodworker. I never buy from construction guys because they work the hell out of their equipment.

I'm not familiar with those particular books although the first one looks promising. Here are some I recommended way back in the beginning of the thread.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=342729921

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
I'm wary of the books that were published over 10 years ago, but it's a fairly static subject except for the advancement of power tools. The photos would get a lot better though. That first one I linked does seem good. It's modern and has all 5-star reviews. I'll get into that and come back here. I don't want to fill my head with too much information before actually doing some stuff.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Dudebro posted:

I'm wary of the books that were published over 10 years ago, but it's a fairly static subject ...

I don't think much has changed in the last 10 years except the Domino replaced the biscuit joiner as the next big thing that will change woodworking forever; and the French style bench (Roubo) dethroned the Scandinavian as most popular workbench.

:ssh:
I can post this now, the marking gauge I made for the LJ swap.
Poplar & padauk, max depth of cut is about 2.5".

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

wormil posted:

I don't think much has changed in the last 10 years except the Domino replaced the biscuit joiner as the next big thing that will change woodworking forever; and the French style bench (Roubo) dethroned the Scandinavian as most popular workbench.

:ssh:
I can post this now, the marking gauge I made for the LJ swap.
Poplar & padauk, max depth of cut is about 2.5".

That's really cool, is that an allen key? Do you have a method to keep the sharp edge pointing in the right ditrection??

I'm going to try to build a marking knife, then I want to try a marking gauge.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Meow Meow Meow posted:

That's really cool, is that an allen key? Do you have a method to keep the sharp edge pointing in the right ditrection??

If I'm not mistaken, I think the flat edge of the hex key against the set screw keeps it oriented in the right direction. It's a really clever execution.

I can't wait to get my garage transitioned into a small shop. I just picked up a nice brace and a roll of bits for $20. I've been building up a small collection of hand tools but I'd like to make some of my own like that.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Magnus is correct, the flat of the hex key helps keep it in place + friction. Marking knives and gauges are easy and there are a ton of gauge designs to choose from.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone have any good resources for boat plans?

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Pufflekins posted:

Check your local library for books. When I was researching canoe plans I found the best resources were books from my library. I still haven't built a canoe, but I want to once I get a bigger place.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Check your local library for books. When I was researching canoe plans I found the best resources were books from my library. I still haven't built a canoe, but I want to once I get a bigger place.

I'd like to build a canoe as well, hard not to after my dad built his -

Quite an endeavor, especially if you've never done any fiberglass work.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
How long did it take him? I'd love to build a kayak.

Seconding the library. I read the entire woodworking section at mine.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

mds2 posted:

Seconding the library. I read the entire woodworking section at mine.

That'd be 674 and/or 694 in the dewey decimal system, I believe, if anyone wants to easily see what their local library has. :)

e: Although another source claims 684 so you might have to just poke around the upper 600's.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 4, 2013

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Nick Offerman (aka Ron Swanson) endorses a book called "Canoecraft" for building canoes if that helps any:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7qiXZqrvfI

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'
I have limited space to do projects so I can't really have any stationary power tools, so I'm trying to use hand tools and more portable power tools. I have a random orbit sander, jigsaw, and bench top drill press. I saw this small bench top band saw and I was wondering if it was worth it for small stuff.

9" benchtop band saw

The reviews seem to indicate that it is decent for small stuff but might require some tune up. It's basically 100 bucks, would it be worth it for making small cuts? If I have a good blade is it likely to hold a line and cut straight? Would it be able to make decent curved cuts? I think I just want to start getting in to making some small boxes so it's small capacity wouldn't be a big deal, as long as it cuts decently.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

nosleep posted:

I have limited space to do projects so I can't really have any stationary power tools, so I'm trying to use hand tools and more portable power tools. I have a random orbit sander, jigsaw, and bench top drill press. I saw this small bench top band saw and I was wondering if it was worth it for small stuff.

9" benchtop band saw

The reviews seem to indicate that it is decent for small stuff but might require some tune up. It's basically 100 bucks, would it be worth it for making small cuts? If I have a good blade is it likely to hold a line and cut straight? Would it be able to make decent curved cuts? I think I just want to start getting in to making some small boxes so it's small capacity wouldn't be a big deal, as long as it cuts decently.
It's from Harbor Freight and its a power tool. It's almost certainly not worth even $100. If you're interested in making small boxes, use the money you would have spent on that to get a dovetailing saw and some half decent chisels. You have a jigsaw so that'll do most of what you could use that bandsaw for anyway, aside from re-sawing which it'd probably suck at and is severely limited in stock size anyway.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
I had a 9" delta bandsaw. Biggest piece of crap ever. Worthless if you had to cut anything thicker than 1/4" balsa wood.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Pufflekins posted:

There are tons of plans on the internet, free and $$, from mouse boats (built from a single sheet of plywood) up to 15 footers and probably bigger. What type of boat are you looking to build?

Re: 9" bandsaws - they are pretty much all the same. You can build one better than you buy in those price ranges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm looking to go about 20' with a little lounge under the front. I'll definitely check out the local library. The thing has to be ocean faring though.

Where should I look on the Internet for free plans? I can only find plans that cost money.