Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Back from Overclocked. Metatron is kicking my rear end in the last battle from the 8th day, Naoya's route. :negative:

I try to use demons resistant to what's been used against me and exploiting weaknesses and being careful but I still get thrown around like a ragdoll. Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wark Say posted:

Back from Overclocked. Metatron is kicking my rear end in the last battle from the 8th day, Naoya's route. :negative:

I try to use demons resistant to what's been used against me and exploiting weaknesses and being careful but I still get thrown around like a ragdoll. Any recommendations?

Drain and Holy Dance basically solve any problems you have. Holy Dance is particular is such a ridiculously good skill you should give it to anyone you can.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That was exactly what I needed! You are a gentleman and a scholar, ImpAtom.

The moment when Metatron realizes just how utterly boned he is when MC truly awakens as the Overlord of Bel was completely loving :black101:, especially when higher ranked demons come to aid my party and even Belial/Beldr start pushing him back.

And Frosty going with you to the underworld was priceless. :3:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2P_4NHoz04

Commercial for SMT4. There's some new music (or I guess it might be a remix of a track from a previous game) and a look at the mystery guest from the game's intro.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I picked up Soul Hackers, and despite being a bit old-school and obtuse I really like it. I'm not very far in at all, only at the save point in the frozen warehouse, but I had my 3DS hardlock after some monster hit me with a Bufu attack. I had explored most of the floor and was returning to the terminal to save before going down to the next one. I only lost a little time, and the demons I had recruited, but it is still frustrating. Has anyone else had any issues with the game locking up? It'll really kill it for me if I have to worry about it losing my progress when I am further into the game and, I assume, the distance between save points is longer.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Who can explain to me why EO4 is lavished with glorious 3D modeled monsters, whilst SMT4 gets pixelated scans of scraps of paper? More to model (most of the work would have already been done during the PS2 era)? Cart space? Budget blown on 3D HD SD towns?

Also do these guy appear in this form? Vital knowledge this.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Who can explain to me why EO4 is lavished with glorious 3D modeled monsters, whilst SMT4 gets pixelated scans of scraps of paper? More to model (most of the work would have already been done during the PS2 era)? Cart space? Budget blown on 3D HD SD towns?

Space and resources, most likely. Some of the modeling would have been done in Nocturne, but the number of demons in Nocturne pales in comparison to about every other traditional SMT out there. Nocturne had roughly 100 demons. SMT4 has something like 400+ IIRC.

Also, let's face it, the 3DS is a nice system but its modeling usually falls somewhere between PS1 and PS2 in terms of quality. I've only played the EO4 demo but the monsters kind of look like lovely early-3D jobs. If that's the go-to quality for 3D enemies that Atlus can come up with then I'm glad they stuck with 2D.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I like the 2D look mixed with the little bit of animation they have going for SMT4.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Genpei Turtle posted:

Space and resources, most likely. Some of the modeling would have been done in Nocturne, but the number of demons in Nocturne pales in comparison to about every other traditional SMT out there. Nocturne had roughly 100 demons. SMT4 has something like 400+ IIRC.

Also, let's face it, the 3DS is a nice system but its modeling usually falls somewhere between PS1 and PS2 in terms of quality. I've only played the EO4 demo but the monsters kind of look like lovely early-3D jobs. If that's the go-to quality for 3D enemies that Atlus can come up with then I'm glad they stuck with 2D.

Nah, the 3D models in EO4 were actually really good, and true to the original 2d art. There are a lot less enemy models in that game than 400 though, so space and time are most likely the limiting factors.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Norns posted:

I like the 2D look mixed with the little bit of animation they have going for SMT4.

It bugs me out because it looks like a bunch of demons just wiggling at you.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

MotU posted:

It bugs me out because it looks like a bunch of demons just wiggling at you.

Sexy wiggles.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Norns posted:

Sexy wiggles.

It always comes back to Mara/Arioch.

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.

Contest Winner posted:

I picked up Soul Hackers, and despite being a bit old-school and obtuse I really like it. I'm not very far in at all, only at the save point in the frozen warehouse, but I had my 3DS hardlock after some monster hit me with a Bufu attack. I had explored most of the floor and was returning to the terminal to save before going down to the next one. I only lost a little time, and the demons I had recruited, but it is still frustrating. Has anyone else had any issues with the game locking up? It'll really kill it for me if I have to worry about it losing my progress when I am further into the game and, I assume, the distance between save points is longer.

Supposedly turning off battle animations will help with freezing. You can also buy software at some point that lets you save anywhere.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

So I picked up Nocturne a while back as my first SMT game at a friend's recommendation. I am currently waiting outside the final dungeon on my first time all physical Demi-Fiend hard mode all Kalpas cleared run. This game is phenomenal. I don't know how normal mode is, but on hard I have to think up a new strategy for every boss because I refuse to grind. Fusing demons lets me come up with teams on the fly without grinding. The music is insanely good and fitting. The aesthetic is incredible for a PS2 game. The dungeons are great and the enormous amount of side content (like 20 optional bosses) is always challenging if you do it as soon as you're able to. I don't really know how to explain it, but the thing I love the most is the battle system. Simple things like being able to pass to your next character for half a turn add a huge amount of strategy to the game, along with knowing when you and your opponents are going to attack. Press turn in this is really great. I tried out Persona 4 for a bit (I'll go back to it) and after so much Nocturne, not knowing when the enemies were going to attack really messed me up. This is easily the best RPG that I've ever played in almost every aspect, gameplay especially. I'm really glad that I went through the first time on hard mode.

Now, it's time to finally finish this long-rear end game. Hopefully I didn't miss any of the great bosses.

Edit: I thought that this was really funny (timg'd for boss spoilers).

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 18, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I vaguely remember it being mentioned that rewards unlocked in Devil Survivor 2's NG+ stay unlocked forever (meaning you don't have to buy "Keep all skills" a second time). Is this actually the case?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Nate RFB posted:

I vaguely remember it being mentioned that rewards unlocked in Devil Survivor 2's NG+ stay unlocked forever (meaning you don't have to buy "Keep all skills" a second time). Is this actually the case?

You keep all the points from awards you've already gotten, so you can turn them off if you want but you will never not be able to get them again.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/638/638893/
Dengeki posted a four page article/review about SMT4. It's still mostly a list of features for the game, but the author actually expresses opinions and thoughts about the mechanics. Most of it is stuff we already knew from tweets or articles. There's a ton of new screenshots to go along with it too, so it's worth a look.

Some key stuff:

Lham Dearg actually looks decent in this screenshot.

If your party gets wiped out, you go to Charon. You can pay him to revive you, but if you don't have the money you can open a charge account and get revived anyway. Charon will automatically pop up and collect his money when you obtain enough to cover your earlier revival. If your party gets wiped before you pay him back, it'll be an automatic Game Over.

Your main source of money is gathering vendor loot called Relics from dungeons. Relics respawn over time.

You'll need to have translation apps installed to speak with some types of demons. New apps are unlocked as you level up and as the story progresses - you do have to purchase them using App Points (gained at level up and apparently from treasure chests). There's one that the article mentions that will have your party target enemy weaknesses during autobattle.

Fusion accidents still happen.

There's no Magnetite, summoning demons into your active party doesn't cost anything, and no lunar phases.

Nothing new about equipment that we weren't aware of before, but these look new.

There's a "Food" race of demons that include Katakirauwa here and Kuda.

Kaja spells can be stacked three times. Bufu and Zio don't inflict Frozen/Shocked. Sometimes Zan-type spells will blow away one of your allies. They'll show up after about three battles in the area, sometimes bearing items they found while they were looking for you.

e:

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 21, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

alcharagia posted:

You keep all the points from awards you've already gotten, so you can turn them off if you want but you will never not be able to get them again.
Related, but would it be accurate to say that getting the bonus for filling out the compendium (Demon Collector) isn't feasible on the first run? You'd perhaps be better off removing the experience penalty first. Also, can you get rewards a second time (like if I max out a character's Fate twice on two different runs) or do you have to continuously complete new ones to get more points?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Nate RFB posted:

Related, but would it be accurate to say that getting the bonus for filling out the compendium (Demon Collector) isn't feasible on the first run? You'd perhaps be better off removing the experience penalty first. Also, can you get rewards a second time (like if I max out a character's Fate twice on two different runs) or do you have to continuously complete new ones to get more points?

You only get more points when you fulfil more reward conditions, but you don't lose the ones you've already earned. If you get 300 points on a first playthrough, you'll still have that 300 points to allocate to whatever rewards you want after a second playthrough, plus whatever points you get for completing conditions that you didn't already complete on your first playthrough.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That's what I figured, since it would provide incentive towards getting more endings. Looks like you have about 500 points guaranteed assuming you eventually max everyone's Fate and get each ending; that leaves 900 from other challenges. I wonder if I'll wind up replaying this more than DS1 (seven times!).

How hard is it to get Triumphant without a guide?

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
I looked back a bunch of pages and couldn't find an answer- I just started Soul Hackers. How should I build my characters? Is this another game where my MC never gets any magic so Int is useless on him? I just don't want to dump a bunch of points into a stat that ends up useless.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

MC should prioritize physical stats and maybe some In too, since that's supposed to cover Magic Defense, Nemissa should definitely prioritize magical stats (I'd keep her in the back row too, just to make sure she doesn't get hit by physical attacks as much/as hard) and they should both have good agility too.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
It's arguably worth getting the main character's In to at least 14 and Ma to at least 8 eventually in order to be able to equip certain items with stat requirements, but that's basically for postgame content so don't worry too much about them early on. Agility is probably the most important stat for the main character, followed by En: putting a few points in St and maybe Lu won't hurt, but you can still get along fine if you neglect them a bit.

Nemissa should prioritise Ma and Ag about equally, should also invest in a decent amount of In, can probably afford to put a point or two in En and Lu if you think they're needed, and should never touch St at all.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

You can always go high In/Ag for the Hero and give him weapons that inflict status effects. For swords he'll be limited to Freeze/Shock effects from Ice/Lightning swords (but this is generally good enough for shutting down enemies before they can act), but he'll have a few more options when it comes to bullets.

SMT4 DLC:

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

TurnipFritter posted:

You can always go high In/Ag for the Hero and give him weapons that inflict status effects. For swords he'll be limited to Freeze/Shock effects from Ice/Lightning swords (but this is generally good enough for shutting down enemies before they can act), but he'll have a few more options when it comes to bullets.

SMT4 DLC:

Is... is that a knight costume? :stare:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Booky posted:

Is... is that a knight costume? :stare:

Kinda. Mostly it's just a white version of the basic Samurai outfit plus a helmet... thing.

e: The digital version of SMT4 is ~14000 blocks, roughly the same size as SH. It isn't fully voiced like SH. In SH every time Nemissa or Six or Lunch or Spooky opened their mouths it was voiced - it appears in SMT4 that while all the major scenes are voice acted a lot of the minor scenes just use grunting (think Fire Emblem Awakening).

The size doesn't really matter because most of you are in NA and will be buying the physical version with the giant art book/guide and soundtrack.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 22, 2013

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

TurnipFritter posted:

Kinda. Mostly it's just a white version of the basic Samurai outfit plus a helmet... thing.

I still prefer this dlc armor because it's hilarious

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

Is that first DLC free? Kinda looks like it from the screenshot.

May also be worth mentioning if you have a Japanese 3DS you can get SMTIV from the e-shop right now if you want. I grabbed a copy a little earlier today and it didn't take long at all to download.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Genpei Turtle posted:

Is that first DLC free? Kinda looks like it from the screenshot.

May also be worth mentioning if you have a Japanese 3DS you can get SMTIV from the e-shop right now if you want. I grabbed a copy a little earlier today and it didn't take long at all to download.

I imagine that it's free for the first couple of weeks or so. Nintendo did a similar thing with Fire Emblem Awakening's DLC.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Getting charged to be revived reminds me of Boktai 2's credit system. If you didn't have enough energy, you could borrow some using a credit card...and if you didn't pay it back, you got sucked down into hell and had to run on a treadmill for a while to earn back the energy.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

I imagine that it's free for the first couple of weeks or so. Nintendo did a similar thing with Fire Emblem Awakening's DLC.

Yeah, I checked and it's free. The rest of the DLC seems like a ripoff for what you get, though I snagged it all anyway since it was just enough to set my balance to 0 and it's not like I'm going to be getting anything else for 350 yen.

It's very strange DLC. It's not like you're buying special items or hairstyles, you're buying quests to which those special items and hairstyles are the reward. Except those "quests" consist of "give me 10 of the most common item in the game and I'll give you this reward." The 250 yen DLC looks like it might be more involved but the game gave me a not-so-subtle "you will get murdered if you try this quest now" warning when I tried to grab it so we'll see I guess.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Genpei Turtle posted:

Yeah, I checked and it's free. The rest of the DLC seems like a ripoff for what you get, though I snagged it all anyway since it was just enough to set my balance to 0 and it's not like I'm going to be getting anything else for 350 yen.

It's very strange DLC. It's not like you're buying special items or hairstyles, you're buying quests to which those special items and hairstyles are the reward. Except those "quests" consist of "give me 10 of the most common item in the game and I'll give you this reward." The 250 yen DLC looks like it might be more involved but the game gave me a not-so-subtle "you will get murdered if you try this quest now" warning when I tried to grab it so we'll see I guess.

Paying so you'll get murdered. Sounds like a Megaten game alright. :haw: Why can't it be July already?

Also, I know you're probably way early into the game, but how's the VA work so far?

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
Is it common in Soul Hackers for your demons to be lower level than you? I'm 35 and finished the Float and I still run a 23 Dokkeabi because he has the DEF down debuff which I really like. I'm having trouble finding suitable replacements fusion wise (Except for Power but I have to grind one more level to get him. He seems beastly). The PC and Nemissa are way more valuable. It's also annoying because all of the appealing fusions are levels either really below me or higher, except for Power. He's 36.

I felt so underpowered during the Finnegan fight because my demons died like two turns in and I didn't care and had Nemissa just blow everything up. I'm excited for getting power since he has super high EN/STR because I've been having trouble finding a good front-line tank.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cromlech posted:

Is it common in Soul Hackers for your demons to be lower level than you? I'm 35 and finished the Float and I still run a 23 Dokkeabi because he has the DEF down debuff which I really like. I'm having trouble finding suitable replacements fusion wise (Except for Power but I have to grind one more level to get him. He seems beastly). The PC and Nemissa are way more valuable. It's also annoying because all of the appealing fusions are levels either really below me or higher, except for Power. He's 36.

I felt so underpowered during the Finnegan fight because my demons died like two turns in and I didn't care and had Nemissa just blow everything up. I'm excited for getting power since he has super high EN/STR because I've been having trouble finding a good front-line tank.

Yes. Demons can, at most, be exactly your level unless you get a fusion accident. They're almost always going to be lower level. You should be replacing as often as possible even if the result is a little crappier. If you can't find new demons, recruit some from the areas.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Man, when they said that SMT4 would have trauma, they were right.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

El Belmondo posted:

For sure. About 4 hours in and I've had my first real "bloody hell" moment. Wendigo! So many of them!

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

For anyone who has SMTIV right now, how is the gameplay and story? Is it hard? How's the music?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

El Belmondo posted:

Eh, I don't think it's that bad. So far I don't think it's significantly harder than, say, Nocturne. Though it will murder you until you figure out the system. I was getting slaughtered in nearly every battle early on when I only had 1 ally, but once I figured out that there wasn't any sort of alignment mechanic and I could recruit traditionally "Dark" demons suddenly the game became way easier.

Booky posted:

For anyone who has SMTIV right now, how is the gameplay and story? Is it hard? How's the music?

I'm only a few hours in but so far, both gameplay and story are pretty good. Music is nice too, and the presentation is excellent. Best use of 3D in a 3DS game amongst the ones I've played so far (which are admittedly few)

Difficulty-wise I'd say it's about on par with Nocturne on Hard, but it does give you a lot of gimmes that Nocturne didn't. Stuff like Charon, no game over on hero death, hero reviving with 1 HP after battle, sleeping in your dorm for free reviving everyone including dead demons, etc.

Overall gameplay-wise it feels like a fusion between Nocturne and more traditional SMT. On the Nocturne side you have the Press Turn system, and the way you inherit skills from your demons is reminiscent of the Magatama system from Nocturne. You're more like a summoner from the earlier games though with equipment, a computer, programs, etc. The fusion system is very streamlined with some nifty features--for example you can include not only your own demons when doing fusing, but anything in your Compendium--just shell out the cash for the summon and it'll be immediately used as an ingredient. I miss being able to do fusions the old way though, as if you want to specifically select two demons as ingredients it's kind of onerous to go through the search interface. Also the avatar of the priest that runs the fusion program sounds like he's totally baked. I wonder if that will come through in the translation. :)

Thematically despite starting out in a medieval-castle it's way closer to SMT1 and 2 than Nocturne or even Strange Journey. The Samurai have a very SMT2 Templar Knight vibe, and there's already a very Law Hero/Chaos Hero thing going on with Jonathan and Walter. Unlike Jiminez and Zelenin who were both giant dicks, though, Jonathan and Walter seem pretty cool, especially Walter. If I had to make a starting comparison with anything though, it would be Wizardry. You're in a castle with stores and a pub and a place to rest, and that castle is sitting on top of a big dungeon that you delve into a bit at a time to take on quests and fight monsters.

It's pretty good overall--at least so far.

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 23, 2013

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Cromlech posted:

This is fine with the older SMT games. The games are less about the demons than they are your characters. The Magnetite is part of that too. It's easy to grind for more but I usually wouldn't even roll with a full house (especially in SMTI and II as an example). What I usually do is dungeon crawl with just the main characters and maybe one or two more demons at most to fill in any weaknesses, then right before the boss I bring out a full complement of guys. The demons are much more expendable here than in later games, you should be burning through them, fusing them with the COMP and recruiting more very often. Like every few battles even just recruit a weak demon to fuse him with someone else and see what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Genpei Turtle posted:

Eh, I don't think it's that bad. So far I don't think it's significantly harder than, say, Nocturne. Though it will murder you until you figure out the system. I was getting slaughtered in nearly every battle early on when I only had 1 ally, but once I figured out that there wasn't any sort of alignment mechanic and I could recruit traditionally "Dark" demons suddenly the game became way easier.

I'm only a few hours in but so far, both gameplay and story are pretty good. Music is nice too, and the presentation is excellent. Best use of 3D in a 3DS game amongst the ones I've played so far (which are admittedly few)

Difficulty-wise I'd say it's about on par with Nocturne on Hard, but it does give you a lot of gimmes that Nocturne didn't. Stuff like Charon, no game over on hero death, hero reviving with 1 HP after battle, sleeping in your dorm for free reviving everyone including dead demons, etc.

Overall gameplay-wise it feels like a fusion between Nocturne and more traditional SMT. On the Nocturne side you have the Press Turn system, and the way you inherit skills from your demons is reminiscent of the Magatama system from Nocturne. You're more like a summoner from the earlier games though with equipment, a computer, programs, etc. The fusion system is very streamlined with some nifty features--for example you can include not only your own demons when doing fusing, but anything in your Compendium--just shell out the cash for the summon and it'll be immediately used as an ingredient. I miss being able to do fusions the old way though, as if you want to specifically select two demons as ingredients it's kind of onerous to go through the search interface. Also the avatar of the priest that runs the fusion program sounds like he's totally baked. I wonder if that will come through in the translation. :)

Thematically despite starting out in a medieval-castle it's way closer to SMT1 and 2 than Nocturne or even Strange Journey. The Samurai have a very SMT2 Templar Knight vibe, and there's already a very Law Hero/Chaos Hero thing going on with Jonathan and Walter. Unlike Jiminez and Zelenin who were both giant dicks, though, Jonathan and Walter seem pretty cool, especially Walter. If I had to make a starting comparison with anything though, it would be Wizardry. You're in a castle with stores and a pub and a place to rest, and that castle is sitting on top of a big dungeon that you delve into a bit at a time to take on quests and fight monsters.

It's pretty good overall--at least so far.

That sounds really cool so far and makes me want to have it more. :) So when fusing, will it show the result like in later games? And yeah, Jonathan and Walter sound like pretty cool dudes so far. I hope they don't go nuts!