Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

POINDEXTRE posted:

Quick question - I was an idiot when UT99 was a hit, missed it entirely and ultimately got on board with UT2004. Is the original worth checking out now for a new player, i.e., is there still an active-ish community playing the base game?

If you're fine with just playing offline against bots and exploring the hundreds of mods and maps available for it, absolutely. If you want to play against humans in vanilla gametypes, probably not.

Unreal 1 does have a pretty lively coop scene right now, though. But I don't think there are many people playing stock UT99 online, though you might find some at ut99.org. Frankly, though, I've had more fun playing UT offline with the right combination of mods, maps, voicepacks, and mutators than I've had in any other game I've ever played, which is why it's still such a staple for me.

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Guillermus posted:

Hard Reset was trying to be old-school and ended being boring. You move really slow and have only two weapons (each one with 5 modifications) but you end using only the energy one with 1-2 mods. I'm not giving Flying Wild Hog money until I can play a demo because Hard Reset had some cool stuff but was filled with long corridors, annoying bullet spongy charing enemies that exploded with little room to move and not enough speed to avoid them easier.

I'm not even sure what was old-school about Hard Reset other than health pickups and lovely weapon balance.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

NoodleBox posted:

So I was clearing out some really old bookmarks when I came across this thing

Yesss a Build tutorial in Japanese http://www.sam.hi-ho.ne.jp/t_fukuda/gamer/buildtug/buildtug.htm

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

I'm not even sure what was old-school about Hard Reset other than health pickups and lovely weapon balance.

That's pretty much it. I can even say that weapon balance is worse than Duke Nukem 3D wich had a good bunch of useful weapons, Blood, Quake... Hard Reset had literally one best weapon for everything (the one that let you see/shoot through walls) and the other 9 were underwhelming even after upgrades. Hard Reset had one enemy that was annoying as hell and the free DLC/expansion they release throws a good bunch of them right as you start.

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

Guillermus posted:

Hard Reset had one enemy that was annoying as hell...

I'd argue that Hard Reset had a great deal of enemies that were annoying as hell.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Brovstin posted:

I'd argue that Hard Reset had a great deal of enemies that were annoying as hell.

The fact that the game had three different flavors of ankle-high enemy that would zerg rush you all day every day is a good indicator that the enemy design was loving atrocious. And they all had so much health. It's disheartening how good that game could have been, but it screwed up everything.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Brovstin posted:

I couldn't stand the game past the first level. Very large bullet sponge enemies that move much faster than you do are not fun to deal with.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
As long as Wang continues to make terrible, terrible remarks about bisected enemies being "Half the man they used to be," I can live without the "human being rabbit" jokes and bathing animes.

Also occasionally yelling "Hi-keeba!" when attacking wouldn't hurt, either.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Buff Skeleton posted:

If you're fine with just playing offline against bots and exploring the hundreds of mods and maps available for it, absolutely. If you want to play against humans in vanilla gametypes, probably not.

Unreal 1 does have a pretty lively coop scene right now, though. But I don't think there are many people playing stock UT99 online, though you might find some at ut99.org. Frankly, though, I've had more fun playing UT offline with the right combination of mods, maps, voicepacks, and mutators than I've had in any other game I've ever played, which is why it's still such a staple for me.

Honestly I haven't touched online UT99 for about 8 or so years. The sheer amount of maps (even with vanila) and mods out there you can play with bots is a lot more fun and varied than playing poo poo like CTF instagib online over and over.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
The bots are also pretty competent as well, from my experience. UT99 & UT2004 are great time sinks with all the content they both provide. UT3...eh, not so much, but it isn't terrible.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

If anyone wants to have a look at his maps, WinRAR happily opens lzh files...

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Prenton posted:

If anyone wants to have a look at his maps, WinRAR happily opens lzh files...

All the maps I checked out seemed to be deathmatch only. You could tell his E1M9 remake from Doom was Japanese because of the cage filled with strippers and piles of poo poo. Oh Japan, never change. :allears:

Reive
May 21, 2009

So I bought the Unreal bundle on the sale having never played any before, please tell me there's a way to disable the mouse acceleration in Unreal Gold, the game seems fantastic but I can't play it like this.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

All the maps I checked out seemed to be deathmatch only. You could tell his E1M9 remake from Doom was Japanese because of the cage filled with strippers and piles of poo poo. Oh Japan, never change. :allears:

I forgot all about that...the chaingun lizards were the enemies that occasionally took a poo poo in the level, right?

QUICK EDIT: "Enforcers", that was their name.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Reive posted:

So I bought the Unreal bundle on the sale having never played any before, please tell me there's a way to disable the mouse acceleration in Unreal Gold, the game seems fantastic but I can't play it like this.

There is. Click on "Options", then go into the Preferences menu, then click on input. I've found that setting it to 3 works fine.

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009

Guillermus posted:

Hard Reset was trying to be old-school and ended being boring. You move really slow and have only two weapons (each one with 5 modifications) but you end using only the energy one with 1-2 mods. I'm not giving Flying Wild Hog money until I can play a demo because Hard Reset had some cool stuff but was filled with long corridors, annoying bullet spongy charing enemies that exploded with little room to move and not enough speed to avoid them easier.

yeah, it had serious Doom 3 syndrome when it came to the enemy and player balance, the majority of the time you end up taking damage because your character is just to loving slow in comparison to all the enemies various attributes, and the worst part was that nearly ever single enemy in the game is faster then you in some way

I really wish that they had let you just freely run and gun instead of making you decide between A). Running away while being both defenseless and usually unable to see the pursuing enemies or B).stand still and get hammered on while a million robots ram their faces into you, and four of them hold back and launch grenades at you; its just really bad execution

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I seem to have enjoyed both Doom 3 and Hard Reset more than most people here but both are at their best when you're able to run at top speed. Having a sprint button in either was just a bad, bad decision.

For real though, if you stop playing Doom 3 like it's a scary corridor crawler and just start running and gunning it's amazing how much like the older titles it feels. It's kind of amazing.

Reive
May 21, 2009

closeted republican posted:

There is. Click on "Options", then go into the Preferences menu, then click on input. I've found that setting it to 3 works fine.

That doesn't remove acceleration though, you do know what it is right?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Reive posted:

That doesn't remove acceleration though, you do know what it is right?

I thought you said mouse sensitivity. :downs:

Anywho, you'll have to download the unofficial 227 patch over here. It's basically a fan patch that smooths out lots of bugs in the original game. It doesn't break anything. After you got that, go back into the Preferences menu and look for an option called "RawHIDinput". Check it and mouse acceleration should be gone.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 07:10 on May 21, 2013

Reive
May 21, 2009

I thought you said mouse sensitivity. :downs:

Anywho, you'll have to download the unofficial 227 patch over here. It's basically a fan patch that smooths out lots of bugs in the original game. It doesn't break anything. After you got that, go back into the Preferences menu and look for an option called "RawHIDinput". Check it and mouth acceleration should be gone.

Perfect! Oh man now that the control is good this game is actual pretty loving awesome, best impulse buy in a loooong time.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Yeah the 227 patch is pretty ace.

BTW, for future reference with games of around this time period that have weird mouse accel issues, http://donewmouseaccel.blogspot.com/ explains what is going on and provides a tool to kill the accel.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Unreal really deserves to be much more highly regarded than it is, but a few months after it was released- while it was still buggy as hell and being frantically patched- Half-Life came out and that was the end of that.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Johnny Law posted:

Yeah the 227 patch is pretty ace.

BTW, for future reference with games of around this time period that have weird mouse accel issues, http://donewmouseaccel.blogspot.com/ explains what is going on and provides a tool to kill the accel.

That has to be one of the weirder issues I have heard of, like next to FEAR 1 running super slow if you have certain HIDs active.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Unreal 1 is easily one of my favorite games. The levels ooze atmosphere, the music fits the levels perfectly, the weapons are fun and interesting, the Skaarj are good opponents and the visuals (especially parts like the skyboxes) still hold up today. Its one of the few FPS games that makes you feel like you've gone through an actual journey instead of running through various set-pieces. Once you get used to the combat, Unreal 1 feels like its aged better than HL1 in most places.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 21, 2013

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

There's simply no words in the English language that can accurately describe the sheer beauty of Unreal. And I don't mean beauty as in how everything looks, since the low-poly models and sometimes stilted animations really haven't done it any favors. I mean beauty in how everything comes together and how everything is presented; it's not just a game, with maps and enemies played at various X and Y locations, arranged specifically to cater to your HP and ammo level. It simply isn't. A game is to be played.
You don't "play" Unreal. It's a whole new loving world.

Stepping out of the crashed ship and encountering Na Pali for the first time. The music quietly kicks in, the synthesized strings pouring in with as much bravado as Also Sprach Zarathustra.
Stepping out of the caverns and staring at the forgotten Nali arena, looming ominously at you. The music spews forth the tribal-esque chants of Nali, half-groaning and half-roaring.
Stepping into the temple of the Nali water goddess. Possibly the only water level in an FPS that has ever been done well, and it has the plus of looking goddamn gorgeous. The water melds with the architecture wonderfully.
Stepping across the waves of corpses of former humans, people you could have or probably couldn't have once known, reading their logs. Their helplessness, their despair, their anger so succinctly expressed in just a paragraph or a few sentences.

I could nerd out about how incredible Unreal is, going on for paragraphs and a giant :words: chocked with fancy words neatly arranged in a written symphony, but the simple fact of the matter is that Unreal transcends the simple pleasure of shooting an enemy. It transcends the pleasure of going through a level to get to the end.
Unreal just is. And it loving owns.

Aaaaaand then Unreal II comes along and phhhbbtbttttthbbttt excuse me that was the sound of my dick flapping limp like a balloon.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Honestly I haven't touched online UT99 for about 8 or so years. The sheer amount of maps (even with vanila) and mods out there you can play with bots is a lot more fun and varied than playing poo poo like CTF instagib online over and over.

Also UT99 is faaar more modable than the later ones. A lot of stuff moved from uscript into C in 2004, in ways that severely limit things :(

Edit: Wasn't there a way to move the Unreal 1 campaign to the UT99 engine so you didn't have to deal with the fact that Unreal Gold is a little bit... strange?

Keiya fucked around with this message at 08:36 on May 21, 2013

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, it's a mod called Oldskool. Make sure to turn off taunts or it'll ruin the atmosphere.

I didn't really like that temple level very much; it's extremely dark and twisty and I kept getting lost. The best Unreal levels were the one that presented an entire place, rather than just the areas needed to support the critical path. There are at least three separate ways to get up the Sunspire, all leading through different parts of the complex. The sky town is a complete town, with lots of different buildings (not all of which are necessary to enter) and even a hunk of surrounding countryside to wander through. The towns you visit on the ground almost never have any actual mission objectives in them- you can run straight through if you want, but if you explore them each building has something unique in it. Bluff Eversmoking has a million different environments threaded through the mountain, all of which feel completely different when you visit them. No one makes levels like that any more.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

quote:

Aaaaaand then Unreal II comes along and phhhbbtbttttthbbttt excuse me that was the sound of my dick flapping limp like a balloon.
I think Unreal 2 would of been alright if it wasn't named Unreal, since excluding the spiders it was a pretty nice looking Sci-fi shooter. But compared to the first one, yeah it's poor. It tried to do some interesting things though, like the crew conversations and such (Which looked ok until HL2 came on the scene and had actual facial animations) but ditching the mysticism part of Unreal (which even back then set it apart from the rest) and sticking it solely in generic Sci-fi bases was a massive mistake. They also made the Skaarj boring to fight. In the original they put up one hell of a fight on harder difficulties but in U2 they're either bots who are no different to the enemies or melee enemies who just rush you and don't bother dodging.

quote:

Bluff Eversmoking has a million different environments threaded through the mountain, all of which feel completely different when you visit them. No one makes levels like that any more.
I love the Spire, but yes Eversmoking is pretty much the best level in that game and in the vast majority of games around. It's built as a place rather than a level.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I decided to play D!Zone maps today out of pure curiosity (since D!Z Gold was on archive.org) and I wish I never did. One of the maps starts you off with nothing but a pistol and has you fight off a Baron of Hell with only a hidden mega armor and a box of bullets along with some stimpacks off in the corners, then you get a blue key to open a door to the exit. I managed to kill him, but not before taking too much damage.

The map's additional credits in the .txt contained the name "Oliver Clothesof" as well. Real funny.

There was another map I played that tossed rocket boxes and shotgun ammo boxes haphazardly around without any weapon pickups in sight aside from shotguns dropped from sergeants. Did most of the people who made levels for this think it would be fun to just have the player go through levels with just the pistol and maybe a shotgun/super shotgun?

Zeether fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 23, 2013

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift
Oh lawd, those CDs, I think I still have them in a crate somewhere. There was some awful stuff on there. I remember going through them, there were a couple of them, and Q!Zone when Quake came out.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
D!Zone had nothing on the NUKE IT CDs of crappy Duke levels with the glowing green skull on the cover and hundreds of levels with nothing but comically oversized strippers and lo-fi Metallica sound loops. And Duke!Zone, I guess.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I found something even worse.

From 11D2LVLS.WAD. This thin section of wall hurts you as you try to cross it to get the BFG, and there are sergeants in the dark areas. This WAD also contains exits that are so horribly placed one level literally has the exit not far from the player spawn, and teleporters that take several seconds to work right.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 23, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
D!Zone was what got me proficient at navigating DOS. No menus or convenient lists to navigate, just a big file dump of ambiguously-named WADs of varying quality. I also like the Doom Wiki on D!Zone:

quote:

False advertisement
The number of levels on each disc is in some cases rounded up, or counts many levels twice because they have been provided in both a Doom and Doom II compatible form. The boxes for the products included "simulated screenshots" which made it appear to less experienced users that use of D!ZONE would provide significant graphic and gameplay enhancements, or that new total conversions were included on the discs. Small print on the back of the boxes disclaimed this, but excited players were unlikely to notice it.
Quality
Many of the levels on the discs are of extremely poor quality, and some will even crash Vanilla Doom upon loading or during play. Additionally, some of the Doom II levels simply seem to be Doom levels converted to Doom II by randomly changing some monsters and weapons into new ones, which leads to terribly unbalanced gameplay even in the better maps.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Fans of video game music: there's a new Game Music Bundle featuring classic soundtracks by DOS-era composers like Bobby Prince, Lee Jackson, and Alexander Brandon. There's a Duke3D remix album too. I immediately dropped $60 on this collection.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Commander Keenan posted:

Fans of video game music: there's a new Game Music Bundle featuring classic soundtracks by DOS-era composers like Bobby Prince, Lee Jackson, and Alexander Brandon. There's a Duke3D remix album too. I immediately dropped $60 on this collection.

Holy poo poo Virt's track on the Duke remixes album. Totes throwing money at this.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Commander Keenan posted:

Wow, I didn't realize how similar Jazz Jackrabbit 3 soundtrack was to UT99's (especially tracks like "Basement Action", "Castle", and "Rocket").

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Wow, I didn't realize how similar Jazz Jackrabbit 3 soundtrack was to UT99's (especially tracks like "Basement Action", "Castle", and "Rocket").

It's not that surprising when you realize that it actually was to run on the Unreal engine. There's a playable alpha floating around on the internet. Pretty neat, though as-is it's not very fun due to some weird bugs.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

It's not that surprising when you realize that it actually was to run on the Unreal engine. There's a playable alpha floating around on the internet. Pretty neat, though as-is it's not very fun due to some weird bugs.

I guess I should have been more specific. While several of the JJ3 songs don't really sound anything like UT99 (too...jazzy) some of the music is really similar, even after considering they're on the same engine. The titles I listed could have basically been UT99 songs, in my opinion.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I guess I should have been more specific. While several of the JJ3 songs don't really sound anything like UT99 (too...jazzy) some of the music is really similar, even after considering they're on the same engine. The titles I listed could have basically been UT99 songs, in my opinion.

Look up "green target" on YouTube. Some unofficial releases of the soundtrack have it as tube.s3m so it was probably for a Tubelectric level. Anyway it sounds straight out of UT99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Just finished playing through Winter's Fury and I highly recommend it. The boss fights are kind of boring and overly difficult, but all in all some very solid gameplay coupled with some of the best visuals I've seen in a Doom wad. It's neat to see story-driven wads that try to be "cinematic" in the Doom (well, Zdoom) engine and actually work out. Makes me wonder what could have been if the original vision for Doom, like that in the Doom Bible, would have been like as a game with Zdoom scripting and level design possibilities.

Can anyone recommend similar wads that feature some attempt at a story and original gameplay? For that matter, has anyone ever tried to recreate Tom Hall's original vision for Doom? Seems like it would be very possible with Zdoom.