Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Killing Jelq
Jun 13, 2012

Kennel posted:

As many of you probably know, Dwarf Fortress takes the world simulation to all kinds of extremes and this leads to various unexpected results.

I recently had this hilariously/depressingly absurd example of emergent behavior. I just started, so I don't know if this doesn't even register with the old salts.

code:
The flying ({copper bolt}) strikes The Yak Bull in the lower body, tearing the muscle and tearing the guts!
The Yak Bull looks sick!
The ({copper bolt}) has lodged firmly in the wound!
The Yak Bull vomits.
The Yak Bull retches.
The Yak Bull vomits.
The Yak Bull retches.
The Yak Bull retches.
The Yak Bull vomits.
The Yak Bull retches.
The Yak Bull vomits.
The Yak Bull retches.
The Yak Bull vomits.
The Yak Bull retches.
The Yak Bull vomits.
The Yak Bull retches.
The Yak Bull vomits.
The Yak Bull retches.
The Yak Bull vomits.
The Yak Bull retches.
The Yak Bull vomits.
The Yak Bull retches.
The Yak Bull vomits.
The Yak Bull retches.
The Yak Bull vomits.
The Yak Bull retches.
The Yak Bull vomits.
The Yak Bull retches.
The Yak Bull vomits.
The Yak Bull retches.
The Yak Bull vomits.
The Yak Bull retches.
The Yak Bull vomits.
The Yak Bull retches.
The Yak Bull vomits.
The Yak Bull retches.
The Yak Bull vomits.
The Yak Bull retches.
The Yak Bull vomits.
The Yak Bull retches.
The Yak Bull vomits.
The Yak Bull retches.
The Yak Bull vomits.
The Yak Bull retches.
The Yak Bull vomits.
The Yak Bull retches.
The Yak Bull vomits.
The Yak Bull retches.
The Yak Bull vomits.
The Yak Bull retches.
The Yak Bull vomits.
The Yak Bull retches.
The Yak Bull vomits.
The Yak Bull retches.
You have struck pink jade!
The Yak Bull vomits.
The weather has cleared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Ras Shamra posted:

I recently had this hilariously/depressingly absurd example of emergent behavior. I just started, so I don't know if this doesn't even register with the old salts.

code:
:barf:

Lookit that yak puke! :barf:

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Friends Are Evil posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzQiQ1pVlN8

Vinesauce managed to make Sesame Street terrifying.

This is a thing of beauty.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Two things from Sleeping Dogs that are, if not glitches, at least amusing game quirks.

In certain areas, Wei's impressive kung-fu arsenal is limited to little shoves which allow him to make his way in a crowd. However, non-combat area clubs have balconies. And people leaning over the railing of said balconies, admiring the view. Wei at his most passive-aggressive flicks his wrist at them, and they go tumbling over as though in an old cowboy film. In true Kharmsian fashion, other club goers immediately crowd the railing to check out the commotion. If this game didn't make corpses disappear within seconds, I would have quite the impressive body pile on the dance floor.

Guns in Sleeping Dogs are treated as physical objects. When Wei walks around while aiming a gun, then gun has a presence in the world. That means that swinging the gun around can send certain physics objects flying, but more importantly all glass will shatter on contact. Walk around a car while pointing a gun at it? You're now windows free. Walk down a flight of stairs while aiming your gun over the glass handrail? You'll get a symphony of shattering glass to accompany you (the first time I tried it, I thought someone was shooting at me from below)

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

jonsicoli posted:

I think for me, it was Ernie reconfiguring his body into an arrow, like Elmo didn't know where 'underwater' is.
Too bad we didn't get to see The Alphabet Out Of Space.

Oh, but we did! Didn't you see those bodily contortions? That's as close to the Space Alphabet as our feeble human minds can grasp, without tumbling into shrieking madness.

Content: I forget what game this was though I want to call it splinter cell, my brother shot a guard who toppled backwards and got his head and shoulders stuck in the wall. My brother unlocked the door and passed that wall on the other side--only to be grabbed at by the dead soldier's glitched arm!!!

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
From Gears of War 3, a van with a very sharp corner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ff6v98C5CY

malk83
Sep 3, 2008

The control system in the Sanctum 2 demo seems quite complicated:

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

malk83 posted:

The control system in the Sanctum 2 demo seems quite complicated:

"Quick, hit the button to reload!"

"Which one!?"

"ANY BUTTON, they ALL reload!"

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I discovered this glitch in the Matrix while playing Test Drive Unlimited 2:

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Zemyla posted:

I remember a story from an old object-oriented programming book, which I can't find right now. There was a military helicopter simulator that had simulated enemy troops and such, and they were making a version to sell to Australia. So one of the things they decided to add was kangaroos, because a helicopter that spooks a herd of kangaroos can give away its position.

The programmers decided to inherit Kangaroo from Soldier, changing the sprites and increasing their movement speed. When they gave the demo, the programmer flew over a herd of kangaroos, which spooked and hopped behind a hill. As he was talking about how realistic their behavior was, the kangaroos came back out and fired a Stinger missile at the helicopter. Turns out they'd forgotten to remove the weapons from the kangaroos.

I think they kept it in, as an incentive for pilots to avoid kangaroos.

It makes me think of a turn-based Skyrim game.

I heard about this on the Radio 2 programme "The Worst Week Of The Week Award (Awarded Weekly On A Week By Week Basis)" and it had me in stitches at the time. Glad to hear another source of this story so I can be a little more confident that they didn't make it up.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

I don't THINK it was a glitch, but it's something that's never happened again: once, when playing GTA4, I had racked up max stars hitting pedestrians or something, and was running from the police. I hit a fence and was kind of stuck, but as I was backing up, at least seven or eight cop cars starting driving over one another to get to me, all blaring their sirens and honking. My and my fiance were laughing hysterically as the cops just covered my car with other cars, breaking parts of their cars off to drive on top of me.

The best part was I actually managed to get away somehow! I still don't know if the game was acting funny or not, but it has never happened again, no matter how many pedestrians I kill or how many fences I run into.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I had an interesting glitch while playing Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood when I first got it. Of course the very first thing you do once you're free to explore is climb the tallest building closest to you which I went to do, but instead of climbing normally with the normal animations, Ezio literally ragdolled up the building. It looked ridiculous with his arms and legs flailing around in a rubbery fashion while he steadily went up the side of the tower, slumping over the edge and lying there for a tiny moment before getting up into his normal animations. I haven't been able to recreate it and it only happened that one time.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Starhawk64 posted:

I discovered this glitch in the Matrix while playing Test Drive Unlimited 2:

Looks more like the User brought down a gamecube.

NiffStipples
Jun 3, 2011
I found out how to skate in Arma 3 a few months ago. Not the best glitch but it's a glitch. The game is definitely in an alpha stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn6w9tnCUuw

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Haymaker_Betty posted:

I don't THINK it was a glitch, but it's something that's never happened again: once, when playing GTA4, I had racked up max stars hitting pedestrians or something, and was running from the police. I hit a fence and was kind of stuck, but as I was backing up, at least seven or eight cop cars starting driving over one another to get to me, all blaring their sirens and honking. My and my fiance were laughing hysterically as the cops just covered my car with other cars, breaking parts of their cars off to drive on top of me.

The best part was I actually managed to get away somehow! I still don't know if the game was acting funny or not, but it has never happened again, no matter how many pedestrians I kill or how many fences I run into.

Here's the funny thing:

That whole aspect of GTA is actually a glitch that was kept. Originally, cop cars didn't have that murderous lust. They would try to stop you, and arrest you, but it was apparently way too fun and way too funny to take out once Rockstar realized what they'd done.

So in every game since, the police will literally pile over themselves to kill you with their cars. I've had that exact situation you described happen to me in every GTA game I've ever played.

The fact that it started out as a glitch, but then became a staple of the series, is fantastic :allears:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

That behavior has even carried over into knock off games. In Saints Row 3 I've had something similar happen where I run down an alley and an 20-car pile-up ensues on a dumpster. The best part is that the car at the bottom of the pile took enough damage to explode, causing a chain reaction that killed every cop in the pile. Pursuit over.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Stare-Out posted:

I had an interesting glitch while playing Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood when I first got it. Of course the very first thing you do once you're free to explore is climb the tallest building closest to you which I went to do, but instead of climbing normally with the normal animations, Ezio literally ragdolled up the building. It looked ridiculous with his arms and legs flailing around in a rubbery fashion while he steadily went up the side of the tower, slumping over the edge and lying there for a tiny moment before getting up into his normal animations. I haven't been able to recreate it and it only happened that one time.

Speaking of Assassin's Creed, here's a good one in Assassin's Creed III in which a haywagon glitches:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQBxjXlycF8

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Cool idea: FIFA 12 added the possibility for your players to trip over each other.

Problematic implementation: Players don't have the situational awareness to avoid tripping over each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvocRAQfbE4

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Whenever you skip parts of dialogue in The Old Republic's cinematics, it'll occasionally goof up and try to stack several animations onto each other. Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiczLzXRIjQ

I remember at BioWare they made this big blooper reel video of insane poo poo the engine did early in development. Things like landing from a jump causing your character to temporarily squish into a pancake, NPCs in cinematics randomly exploding into a bloody mess, and hitting randomize in the character creator turning them into a crate. It's a shame I didn't get a copy of it.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

DStecks posted:

Cool idea: FIFA 12 added the possibility for your players to trip over each other.

Problematic implementation: Players don't have the situational awareness to avoid tripping over each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvocRAQfbE4

This reminded me of NHL 13's Hercules Check

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Kennel posted:

This reminded me of NHL 13's Hercules Check

Good riddance, Setoguchi.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

So I tried installing Zandronum to run chex Quest and failed in a rather funny way.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Basically half the game world got wiped out because a guard got hungry, and the player never even saw this poo poo happen.

I believed Bethesda was making that poo poo up until it happened to me firsthand with ED-E in FO:NV. Basically if you got a follower stuck somewhere, they'd leave your party and go back to their town. Well when ED-E did this, he had all my poo poo. He goes back to the town with a bunch of my food. I'd fast travel there to go pick him up and (according to the devs) while I am loading in someone tries to loot ED-E for food, which triggers him hostile and puts him in a war against all the townsfolk. I had to revert to a really old save and abandon ED-E to keep playing that game.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Red_Mage posted:

I believed Bethesda was making that poo poo up until it happened to me firsthand with ED-E in FO:NV. Basically if you got a follower stuck somewhere, they'd leave your party and go back to their town. Well when ED-E did this, he had all my poo poo. He goes back to the town with a bunch of my food. I'd fast travel there to go pick him up and (according to the devs) while I am loading in someone tries to loot ED-E for food, which triggers him hostile and puts him in a war against all the townsfolk. I had to revert to a really old save and abandon ED-E to keep playing that game.

Apparently, this specific variant of the glitch happened because ED-E was mistakenly considered a container. The AI doesn't pickpocket under normal circumstances.

Slowflake
Aug 18, 2010

So, I'm playing some Far Cry Blood Dragon, and I just finished one of those side missions where you have to kill all the soldiers guarding a scientist. Anyway, I save him, he says some "Now I can science more" thing, and leaves the building he's currently in. I'm looting some guys nearby, so I stick around long enough to pull out a welding torch, which he then uses on one of those exploding red conduit things on the side of said building, which then explodes and kills him. At least the mission criteria didn't specify having to save him from his own stupidity...

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
I think all the scientist dudes are meant to die after you rescue them, at least all of mine have. One walked away directly into a car that had come barreling off the road for some reason, and another got immediately snatched up by a blood dragon.

NiffStipples
Jun 3, 2011

Haruharuharuko posted:

So I tried installing Zandronum to run chex Quest and failed in a rather funny way.

This is beautiful. All I can think of is a father being like "Here you go son! This looks innocent enough!" and a kid playing on his computer for hours with the biggest :aaa: and :haw: face you'd ever seen.

Edit: That is, if the install failed like this with the original CD copy.

NiffStipples has a new favorite as of 12:18 on May 19, 2013

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

willus posted:

I think all the scientist dudes are meant to die after you rescue them, at least all of mine have. One walked away directly into a car that had come barreling off the road for some reason, and another got immediately snatched up by a blood dragon.

I don't think all of them die, but yes. One of mine got pounced on by a tiger as soon as I'd talked to him.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
I haven't seen this posted in this thread before, it needs to be here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W545DP8CmWQ

DKC, glitched

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

:nws:?
http://imgur.com/vLsCvrN
Niko flipping out when a stripper mounts him for a lap dance.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Finally, goons are represented in games.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Haruharuharuko posted:

I'll have what he's having.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Haruharuharuko posted:

Oh man, this and the fact that the cop-car thing is a glitch turned-integral-part-of-the-game makes me appreciate GTA4 all that much more. Content:

There are so many graphical glitches/funny things happening as a result of NPC's not noticing their surroundings in Skyrim. I think I have mentioned them before. Note: I've got a metric shitton of mods on Skyrim, but as everyone knows, it was a little haywire at times even without mods galore.

You just keep doing your thing, Blacksmith, you just... you do that thing.

Lydia swimming in one of the dry lakes that dot Skyrim's landscape.

Just Savos Aren, creepin' up on Tolfdir.

From the Rebuild Helgen mod--which is so loving chatty it might as well just be a slightly interactive play; the voice actors are awesome, but god do they love hearing themselves talk. Also, apparently, someone decided to temper their armor at a barrel, so, you know, there you go.

I really wanted to angle this so it looked like I was jacking this dude off, but I was holding my nonexistent torch too high.

Dang, eaten all over Gunjir's dead body; cold as ice.

I wish this was a video. That Argonian was just standing there, with her mouth open, unspeaking... silently screaming at me.

Again, most of these aren't "glitches," just funny visual goofs.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

After hearing about how the crazy cop cars were a glitch that actually made the GTA series, it reminded me of a very old glitch I had when playing the game.

This was the very old GTA, the first one with the top-down view, not that fancy 3D. I used unlimited ammo cheat to get rocket launchers and went on a destruction rampage. It came to the point where there were no cars left. At all. It wasn't some visual glitch or anything, the game just simply didn't spawn them. I can't remember if humans were part of that mix as well.

With no cars to destroy, I decided to go on a mission. And my mission? Chase a car to do something. Except there were no more cars anymore. The car to be chased spawned without a fuzz, but I could never catch up. And unfortunately that mission did not have a timer or anything, so I couldn't even fail the mission and go to the next one.

MW
May 20, 2001

"Nooooooooo!?"

Iced Cocoa posted:

After hearing about how the crazy cop cars were a glitch that actually made the GTA series, it reminded me of a very old glitch I had when playing the game.

This was the very old GTA, the first one with the top-down view, not that fancy 3D. I used unlimited ammo cheat to get rocket launchers and went on a destruction rampage. It came to the point where there were no cars left. At all. It wasn't some visual glitch or anything, the game just simply didn't spawn them. I can't remember if humans were part of that mix as well.

With no cars to destroy, I decided to go on a mission. And my mission? Chase a car to do something. Except there were no more cars anymore. The car to be chased spawned without a fuzz, but I could never catch up. And unfortunately that mission did not have a timer or anything, so I couldn't even fail the mission and go to the next one.

This happened all the time when I used to play GTA (or GTA 2, don't remember) in multiplayer. After playing for a few hours, one of two things *always* occurred.

• The connection would be lost, but no indication would be displayed in-game. Instead, some kind of AI would take over and control the other guy. Or perhaps input was severally lagged or something. Often noticed when saying something like "Hey, did you just jump into that car?", "No? I just killed you". Both: "Ah... gently caress".
  • The number of available cars would run out, which was always hilarious. Eventually, the game would simply stop spawning new cars, making the city completely deserted. So whoever had a car, no matter how damaged, was king.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Good old top-down GTA :allears:

One things that I always used to love seeing was how the very limited AI dealt with vertical sections. Rooftops, bridges, walkways, anything where you were on a different level would cause them to go completely apeshit.

If you got a few wanted stars you could stand on one of the little pedestrian overpasses and just wait. The police would roar in at a million miles an hour, overshoot, jump out of their car then and all run straight towards you. This usually meant ignoring little things like stairs and so would actually end up standing directly underneath your position running in tiny circles. Well, until the next cop car came barreling through at which point they would get turned into a little red smear.

You could sit there forever just watching cop after cop get run over by one of his colleagues who would run to take his spot and end up roadkill himself.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

MW posted:

This happened all the time when I used to play GTA (or GTA 2, don't remember) in multiplayer. After playing for a few hours, one of two things *always* occurred.

• The connection would be lost, but no indication would be displayed in-game. Instead, some kind of AI would take over and control the other guy. Or perhaps input was severally lagged or something. Often noticed when saying something like "Hey, did you just jump into that car?", "No? I just killed you". Both: "Ah... gently caress".
  • The number of available cars would run out, which was always hilarious. Eventually, the game would simply stop spawning new cars, making the city completely deserted. So whoever had a car, no matter how damaged, was king.

I don't remember ever seeing the second one, but I'm pretty sure the first one would often happen in GTA 2 multiplayer, yes.

GTA 2's level editor was fun to play with at the time. I once made a city with a script that created a bunch of NPCs who would try to chase down the player; parts of the city not currently near a player wouldn't be loaded or have traffic in them, so whenever you lost these NPCs the engine would spawn them in near you, always in the same brown car. Whenever you stepped out into the street they'd zoom in from the edge of the screen and run you over if you weren't quick to react. :kiddo:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I don't know if these are glitches, but, this is what happens when I play God in Oblivion:

scarycave has a new favorite as of 19:12 on May 23, 2013

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
From Trials Evolution, one of the bikers somehow has his head sucked down his neck and out of his rear end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSdUcP-NhZ4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Brother Jonathan posted:

From Trials Evolution, one of the bikers somehow has his head sucked down his neck and out of his rear end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSdUcP-NhZ4

I can't believe the glitching guy shooting over the finish line counted.