Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I wonder if it's in Reilly's contract that ESPN not allow comments on his articles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Rich Cimini, perhaps the biggest rear end in a top hat writer for a major sport in New York (and think about how much ground that covers), accidentally tweeted what was obviously supposed to be a DM or text completely burying Jane McManus, who is one of the best journalists ESPN has. They're co-workers and it looks like Cimini is scared McManus might take the Jets beat from him.

Hope he gets canned.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
So, Sports on Earth. Crion's stuff I love, but goddamn if this isn't a dumb article: http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/47382842/

Haha, he got rejected by AJ, miss-spelled Mike McKenry's name, and generally lacked a point :pwn:

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

jeffersonlives posted:

Rich Cimini, perhaps the biggest rear end in a top hat writer for a major sport in New York (and think about how much ground that covers), accidentally tweeted what was obviously supposed to be a DM or text completely burying Jane McManus, who is one of the best journalists ESPN has. They're co-workers and it looks like Cimini is scared McManus might take the Jets beat from him.

Hope he gets canned.

quote:

We’ve all been there. If you haven’t, you eventually will. So a reminder: email is better. Text is better. Direct messages often end in disaster.

Yes, commit your shittalking to a medium that you have zero control over once the message is sent.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I don't really expect much from sports radio, but blech.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

morestuff posted:

Love the black slang he throws in there. God, sports radio should just be eliminated in all its forms. I haven't listened to our ESPN affiliate in months because they hired some dipshit named Bruce Jacobs who's worked for like, 57 different stations in the past 4 years. I have to imagine if you wind up working the 4p-7p shift in Albany, NY, your career isn't exactly on fire.

edit: I just checked the latest Arbitron ratings and the station went from a 3.1 to a 1.3 (hah) in the latest book so maybe he'll be out the door soon anyways.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 13, 2013

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Rick Reilly probably earned more for writing that than you or I will make in several years.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

morestuff posted:

Defending someone being called a bully by insulting the columnist's looks first thing.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

Rick Reilly probably earned more for writing that than you or I will make in several years.

Yes, but money is not infinite, and his assholery is.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I reread his Steve Garvey article yesterday and god it's amazing how lovely he's become

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
In light of Rick Reilly's latest piece of poo poo column, Deadspin friendly reminds us that he used to be a brilliant writer

http://deadspin.com/5295590/rick-re...dium=socialflow

I wonder when was the exact moment Reilly stopped giving a poo poo. Even before he took the millions at ESPN his SI columns were on a steady decline for years.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
The Marge Schott piece linked in that Deadspin article is one of my favorite SI articles of the '90s, if not ever: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1008139/index.htm

quote:

During a rain delay in the game against Philadelphia, the Jumbotron was showing highlights of the classic 1970 World Series between the Reds and the Baltimore Orioles, in which Orioles third baseman Brooks Robinson was merely Superman.

"Who's that, baby?"

"Brooks Robinson."

"Brooks Robinson? I thought he was one of the first black players."

"That was Jackie Robinson."

"No...."

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Be sure to pair any article on Marge Schott with YouTube clips of Billy West's impersonation from the Stern show.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

Benne posted:

In light of Rick Reilly's latest piece of poo poo column, Deadspin friendly reminds us that he used to be a brilliant writer

http://deadspin.com/5295590/rick-re...dium=socialflow

I wonder when was the exact moment Reilly stopped giving a poo poo. Even before he took the millions at ESPN his SI columns were on a steady decline for years.

I remember the exact moment, actually. For four weeks, he ran articles about the banality of sports in comparison to the much bigger picture--about kids with cancer fighting their battles OFF THE COURT and kids who got broken necks from celebrating a victory (no joke). Then Hurricane Katrina happened and he wrote a half-hearted article about why sports complexes are great for disaster relief. After that, you could see the twinkle in his eye dying, but with flashes of who he was.

This Rex Grossman article had some awful jokes, but with a surprisingly great twist when he said

quote:

And it's a shame because after the murderous week he went though in Miami, getting shot full of loaded questions from the world's media—many of which sounded like, "Are you surprised how much you suck?"—it got to where you really started to pull for him. You wanted him to chew up Peyton Manning himself, dachsund over Doberman, and make them all stick it where the blog don't shine.

He could've gone forward with that and how Grossman is a decent human being who accepts his faults, but then he went back to tearing apart Grossman with poop jokes and how Grossman could serve him at the Olive Garden.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

haljordan posted:

Be sure to pair any article on Marge Schott with YouTube clips of Billy West's impersonation from the Stern show.

Thanks for this. Jesus.

"There have been talented darkies in science and the ahhhhrts."

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Though she never had children, Marge Schott was basically America's Grandma.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Thanks for this. Jesus.

"There have been talented darkies in science and the ahhhhrts."

I know people were feeding Billy some of those lines but I think a lot of that is just him going off and improvising. He really seems to relish letting those racial slurs fly.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

haljordan posted:

I know people were feeding Billy some of those lines but I think a lot of that is just him going off and improvising. He really seems to relish letting those racial slurs fly.

So did Marge Schott

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

haljordan posted:

holy poo poo

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Politicalrancor posted:

So did Marge Schott

Anytime you have to issue a press release defending your authentic nazi swastika armband....

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Do you like running? Yes? No? Whatever. Just read this piece and get back to me.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Do you like running? Yes? No? Whatever. Just read this piece and get back to me.

As a runner that spent his summers as a youth in the North Woods, that article is amazing. Go Hodags. :unsmith:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Well, I didn't before. drat.

Grantland has a pretty interesting piece that just went up by Ben Lindbergh (Baseball Prospectus' EiC) about catchers framing pitches and how much it affects games.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

What a story. Great read.

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Thanks for posting this. That is awesome.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Jesus that style is unreadable. Also good job making the guy sounds like a Faulknerian idiot man-child.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Loved this, thanks for posting it.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

The story was good, but I got really tired of it being in second-person. For a piece that length, I think it ultimately detracts from the story to keep using it the entire time.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

half sports related, but is it bad that I can't stand when there's cross posting of Jezebel on Deadspin?

Jalopink and Deadspin are the only two sections I care to read there. Jezebel is pretty terrible. (not because of the stances they have, but rather the overall writing).

Always a good option, just annoying to see them appear in the feed

VVVVVVV

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 17, 2013

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Have you considered not clicking on those stories?

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
The saga continues

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

So beautiful. So very beautiful.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
Crossposting from the NCAA Football thread: Holly Anderson of SI.com/EDSBS fame is joining Grantland in two weeks. Good college football coverage gets better.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

Never let this series die.

A commenter suggested Tim Tebow should read it aloud. gently caress that. I want Garrison Hearst's broke rear end to read it.

LARGE THE HEAD fucked around with this message at 10:36 on May 18, 2013

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Crossposting from the NCAA Football thread: Holly Anderson of SI.com/EDSBS fame is joining Grantland in two weeks. Good college football coverage gets better.

Andrew Sharp from SBNation is also moving over there.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Outside of Chris Brown I've always thought their college sports coverage was pretty lackluster, so that's good news.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

morestuff posted:

Andrew Sharp from SBNation is also moving over there.

gently caress, I guess this means no more Troll Tuesday :(

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Apparently ESPN is laying off hundreds of employees

http://deadspin.com/source-espn-lay...dium=socialflow

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

^ :argh:

ESPN is supposedly firing some 400 staffers today:

http://deadspin.com/source-espn-lay...dium=socialflow

I'm shocked, it seems like they print money. But on the other hand, they're really spending now (the SEC Network, the US Open tennis contract, etc).

I heard one radio host was let go:

Jason McIntyre

Media scoop: ESPN & Mike Hill (radio, sportscenter) have parted ways. RUMOR is Hill is headed to Fox Sports. I'll have more detail later.

Interesting on the ESPN departure of radio/TV guy Mike Hill: His contract wasn't up. "Mutual" parting - even mid-contract - is odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I can't imagine they are laying off anyone you'd ever see or notice, or anyone who can't be replaced (if need be) by someone out of journalism school willing to work for $22,000