Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Last weekend I put the first lengthy ride on my SV650. The Sargent seat performed very well. It's just firm enough that my rear end didn't bug me. That being said, I have yet to receive my handlebar conversion kit that I ordered 4 loving weeks ago from Topyokes so I still had my clipons. Short arms combined with legs that don't get enough circulation made the ride not enjoyable at all. I stopped every 70 - 90 miles and that was mostly because I just couldn't bear it any longer. I like the idea of riding long distance, just not sure about this bike. I haven't fallen in love with it yet, either. Hoping the bar conversion will help as I noticed that if I sat up with my left hand on the tank, it was the most comfortable. My guess is the bars will do this naturally and both my legs and wrists will be much happier.

Also, I tried traveling with a pack bungied to the back of the bike. I almost lost my brand new rain gear but didn't only because I 'safety wired' it to one of the hooks. I pulled off on the shoulder as soon as it disappeared from my mirror thinking that I had lost the pack, but it was dangling on the left side of the bike. Never touching pavement or tire!

Here's a pic from when I arrived back in Houston. My dad added in the nylon rope so that I could secure the bungie under the seat. It worked perfectly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Last weekend I put the first lengthy ride on my SV650. The Sargent seat performed very well. It's just firm enough that my rear end didn't bug me.

I hear good things about the Sargent seat (or, rather, really bad things about the stock seat). Sometimes I wonder if a lot of folks don't put in the butt time to really get used to what's there. My friend who has a SV650 almost immediately went with a Sargent.

XYLOPAGUS posted:

That being said, I have yet to receive my handlebar conversion kit that I ordered 4 loving weeks ago from Topyokes so I still had my clipons. Short arms combined with legs that don't get enough circulation made the ride not enjoyable at all. I stopped every 70 - 90 miles and that was mostly because I just couldn't bear it any longer. I like the idea of riding long distance, just not sure about this bike.

You've pretty much described any first long-distance ride on any bike. Hell, I run a purpose-built tourer that is incredibly comfortable with soft, massive-travel suspension and I have what I would describe as "good" touring endurance - yet I still like to stop every 100 or so to keep my body happy. I'm not saying "don't get the handlebar kit" but I am suggesting that you give the bike some time for you to get used to it before you pass judgement on its touring capabilities. I've ridden one myself, and if I can do cross-country on a vstar, you can do cross-country on a SV.

If you start getting fatigued, remember to squeeze the tank and let your core support you. If you're putting weight on the clipons, you'll wear out fast.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You may find the handlebar cures all by changing the position of your torso, but there's some times where the seat to peg ratio is just untenable for long distances. My Speed Triple was like this...no matter what I did after towards the end of the ride home my knees were in agony. Ended up dangling my legs from pretty much the end of the Sonora pass to Oakland when I rode it back from Salt Lake City.

Also are those S or N model footpeg mounts? The N ones are lower and farther forward.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
$20 vistacruise is the best touring mod you can make to any bike.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

A buddy of mine texted me last night, asking about the Honda CRF250 dual sport as a first (really second, after a long break) bike. I think I managed to talk him into a DRZ400 since he's a taller, bigger guy and will probably be doing some commuting and some light touring on it. Good choice?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I was just checking on some spare part prices for the KTM at my dealers website. Apparently the fuel tank is a lot more unprotected than I thought. Oh, and it's 2200 USD eqv. :ohdear:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

My little brother looped my 690 and hit the tail really hard, didn't damage the fuel tank at all.

Zool's 690 has been crashed 6 ways from sunday, no damage.
Gullous' 690 has had the hardest life a motorcycle can have as far as crashes and collisions go. Been crashed hard more times in the dirt than I can count, and dropped on the track multiple times and the street a time or two.

You really don't have to worry about the fuel tank getting damaged. At that point... the damage to the bike is so severe it'll probably not be your problem.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Safety Dance posted:

A buddy of mine texted me last night, asking about the Honda CRF250 dual sport as a first (really second, after a long break) bike. I think I managed to talk him into a DRZ400 since he's a taller, bigger guy and will probably be doing some commuting and some light touring on it. Good choice?

Yeah.

I do miss my 690 :(

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Do 690s have any room on board to store a disc brake lock?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

High Protein posted:

Zero cargo space whatsoever, not even a helmet hook.

Though you can do some standard dirt bike stuff, such as a small bag that goes on the front fender near the light for something small like that. Or a teeny 'tank bag' up front (The gastank is actually in the rear)

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I was in Phoenix this weekend and noticed a disturbing number of people without helmets. My brain eventually turned on and I realized there's probably no helmet law in Arizona.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I always chuckle when I see "buckle up" billboards in states with no helmet laws.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

High Protein posted:

http://www.ktm-parts.com/61012032000.html

BOOM (KTM has an accessory for that)

Although I don't know if it'll work on the SMs.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Z3n posted:

Wow, that's a cool (and expensive, geez) gizmo.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

SaNChEzZ posted:

My bike has separate keys for gas cap / ignition, so I have to fish around for it anyway :( Don't want a spare key flapping around loving up my triple :(

Heh. I have a separate key for the ignition and my side cases. Idiot me rode to work once with my side case key in the case.

clutchpuck posted:

I hear good things about the Sargent seat (or, rather, really bad things about the stock seat). Sometimes I wonder if a lot of folks don't put in the butt time to really get used to what's there. My friend who has a SV650 almost immediately went with a Sargent.

You've pretty much described any first long-distance ride on any bike. Hell, I run a purpose-built tourer that is incredibly comfortable with soft, massive-travel suspension and I have what I would describe as "good" touring endurance - yet I still like to stop every 100 or so to keep my body happy. I'm not saying "don't get the handlebar kit" but I am suggesting that you give the bike some time for you to get used to it before you pass judgement on its touring capabilities. I've ridden one myself, and if I can do cross-country on a vstar, you can do cross-country on a SV.

I agree fully. I got a Sargent seat for my R1150R and it makes a world of difference, but I still stop every 120 miles or so; stretch the legs, drink some water. It keeps my body happy.

Xovaan posted:

Also I hate to admit it but I love the sound of a dry clutch. It's like some kind of mechanical rattlesnake strapped to a rocket.

That can't be a BMW dry clutch. :)

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

The 690s are all left-side mount for the caliper IIRC, so no dice. Shame, it looks like a well though out (if pricey) product otherwise.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Did you do your valve adjust and TB sync? How'd it go?

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

MoraleHazard posted:

That can't be a BMW dry clutch. :)

Some guy on ADvrider was trying to say that the early K bikes were call "whiners" because of how loud the dry clutch was. Cue 20 people jumping in and saying, "No, its the fuel pump that whines, and it gets louder as there is less fuel, and the tank resonates." The original dude kept arguing with everybody about how loud his clutch/final drive was, and HE WAS RIGHT, YOU ARE ALL IDIOTS!!! One week later his clutch/drive splines ate them selfs :downs:

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Z3n posted:

Also are those S or N model footpeg mounts? The N ones are lower and farther forward.

Just received an email from topyokes after trying several times to get an update. The kit will ship this week. Holy poo poo.

It's an S so the pegs are a little further back. I might look into swapping some N footpegs!

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

Did you do your valve adjust and TB sync? How'd it go?

This weekend. I was still hurting from my surgery last weekend but I've been mending steadily.

And I found this detailed guide too.

Pokey Araya posted:

Some guy on ADvrider was trying to say that the early K bikes were call "whiners" because of how loud the dry clutch was. Cue 20 people jumping in and saying, "No, its the fuel pump that whines, and it gets louder as there is less fuel, and the tank resonates." The original dude kept arguing with everybody about how loud his clutch/final drive was, and HE WAS RIGHT, YOU ARE ALL IDIOTS!!! One week later his clutch/drive splines ate them selfs :downs:

One of my friend's R bike did this, but it was the final drive that ate itself. It was whining like crazy before it went too. BMW had some issues with the last gen final drives if I remember correctly.

Personally, I love the loud Ducati dry clutches, that evokes the robotic rattlesnake. I think I've seen a few loud clutches save lives stickers too.

VVV Simply Priceless.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 21, 2013

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Ill leave this classic here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhYnAeKiTq4

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Pokey Araya posted:

Ill leave this classic here

Sucks that I am asking this but what's funny with the tambourine?

edit: nevermind... after watching that video, one of the related videos was this one and it all made sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79IR0bSQdnc

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 21, 2013

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
The 848 was, until the Panigale, one of the few Ducatis with a wet clutch.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

clutchpuck posted:

I always chuckle when I see "buckle up" billboards in states with no helmet laws.

As a Canadian I've always had helmet laws wherever I've lived. First time I went across into Montana (where there is none) I thought "gently caress yeah", try it just once.

Got up to about 30 MPH, pulled over and put it back on. gently caress that. Forget about the obvious paraplegic issue, bugs, wind, dust on an unprotected face and eyes is just plane nasty and unpleasant.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I did the same thing the first time I rode in Montana. Ignoring safety and protection from flying stuff, the horrifying mechanical noises my helmet shielded me from were more than enough to put it back on.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I've had a car kick up a stone into my visor hard enough to put a small crack in it - right between my eyes. Without a helmet (even with a brain bucket) that's almost certainly enough energy to have killed me, certainly enough to fracture my skull.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

slidebite posted:

As a Canadian I've always had helmet laws wherever I've lived. First time I went across into Montana (where there is none) I thought "gently caress yeah", try it just once.

Got up to about 30 MPH, pulled over and put it back on. gently caress that. Forget about the obvious paraplegic issue, bugs, wind, dust on an unprotected face and eyes is just plane nasty and unpleasant.

I cannot imagine riding without a helmet, but even Illinois requires all riders to wear some kind of eye protection (sunglasses count), though it lacks a helmet law. Do other :freep: states not require eye protection?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I was on the highway recently and took a stone to the knee, almost fell over. Not sure there's anything one can do about those..

It hurt sooo bad :/

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The fact that it's so obviously stupid to go without a helmet is one of the arguments on why you shouldn't need a law to tell you to do so. Seatbelt benefits are a lot less obvious, especially if you drive like a grandmama.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Tamir Lenk posted:

I cannot imagine riding without a helmet, but even Illinois requires all riders to wear some kind of eye protection (sunglasses count), though it lacks a helmet law. Do other :freep: states not require eye protection?

Connecticut is far from :freep: territory, but there's no mandatory helmet law; not even mandatory eye protection, if memory serves.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Snowdens Secret posted:

The fact that it's so obviously stupid to go without a helmet is one of the arguments on why you shouldn't need a law to tell you to do so. Seatbelt benefits are a lot less obvious, especially if you drive like a grandmama.

Yeah but that's kind of a false sense of security. Sure most of the 'around town' accidents with grandma would be a fender bender, but when watching some of the crash compilations on youtube it's crazy how just a little force and flip a car or send it over a hill.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

As a Spanish speaker this video is extra loving funny. "EXPORTED FROM THE UNITED STATES AND FOUND IN EBAY" "SOUNDS loving AWSOME" "ITS NOT ME MAKING THE NOISE ITS THE BIKE!"

As a friend of a Ducati owner this is exactly how his dry clutch 748 (apparently bored to 848) Ducati sounds like.

ElMaligno fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 21, 2013

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

nsaP posted:

Yeah but that's kind of a false sense of security. Sure most of the 'around town' accidents with grandma would be a fender bender, but when watching some of the crash compilations on youtube it's crazy how just a little force and flip a car or send it over a hill.

Yeah, I phrased that wrong. As stated in previous posts, not wearing a helmet will feel awkward and wrong quickly, and you don't have to smack your head on the pavement to realize it. The benefits of seatbelts when you're -not- wrecking, mainly that they keep you firmly planted in front of the controls, are masked by driving at glacial paces without the g-forces to slide someone across the velour bench seat of their Buick. Seatbelt advantages are very obvious in an accident scenario (every other safety function basically requires the occupants to be belted into their seats to be beneficial) but at that point it's too late to be doing convincing.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ElMaligno posted:

As a Spanish speaker this video is extra loving funny. "EXPORTED FROM THE UNITED STATES AND FOUND IN EBAY" "SOUNDS loving AWSOME" "ITS NOT ME MAKING THE NOISE ITS THE BIKE!"

As a friend of a Ducati owner this is exactly how his dry clutch 748 (apparently bored to 848) Ducati sounds like.

How strange, why would they bore out a 748 engine and not just go straight to 916, given the 748 is just a 916 bottom end with smaller barrels? Seems like that would be cheaper, easier, and a shitload more reliable.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

How strange, why would they bore out a 748 engine and not just go straight to 916, given the 748 is just a 916 bottom end with smaller barrels? Seems like that would be cheaper, easier, and a shitload more reliable.

I don't really remember is it was actually bored out or if it was an engine swap, i will ask him tomorrow. I do know he is a very competent motorcycle mechanic, but he is a Bostonian fucker and is always busting my balls for wearing "Too much protection" as I tend to wear a two piece leather suit. :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

epalm posted:

I was on the highway recently and took a stone to the knee, almost fell over. Not sure there's anything one can do about those..

It hurt sooo bad :/

Knee armor?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They use the same cases but a different crank, and you can get a lot more power out of 748 bottom end with the fun revy nature of the smaller engine vs. the torquier but slower reving 916 engine. If you really want to go crazy you can put a 999 engine in the 916 frame, which would be fun if you had those things available for some reason.

If you want to read more about it, check it out here:
http://www.sigmaperformance.com/748-853.html

Basically, it's cheap, it's easy, and it makes killer power and low end without significant loss of reliability.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Arguments against seatbelt use sound as stupid as arguments against motorcycle helmets:

- they are uncomfortable
- they mess up you hair/clothes
- I know a guy who had his spine/neck snapped by wearing one in an accident
- if I crash I will be trapped

We have seat belt laws so there should be mandatory helmet laws too. I don't get these morons riding around on their motorcycles without helmets. I'm sick of arguing with my son about him wearing his bike helmet when he sees fat crusier guys wearing leather vests and no helmet.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Show him pictures of people who didn't use helmets. :v:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So I picked up a thing

Kawasaki Dealer programming and diagnostic tool

Can now program my own fobs, TPMS, diagnostics, yadda for pretty much any modern Kawi. Kawasaki really frowns on these getting out in the wild but gently caress that. Paying a dealer to bumble through programing a TPMS or key for $100 gets old fast. God only know what they'd charge for trouble shooting/pulling codes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

slidebite posted:

So I picked up a thing

Kawasaki Dealer programming and diagnostic tool

Can now program my own fobs, TPMS, diagnostics, yadda for pretty much any modern Kawi. Kawasaki really frowns on these getting out in the wild but gently caress that. Paying a dealer to bumble through programing a TPMS or key for $100 gets old fast. God only know what they'd charge for trouble shooting/pulling codes.

So how much did that set you back?