Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I've been messing around with PowerView on Excel 2013 and I was wondering if there was a way that I can have all my PowerView sheets in presentable format. All the tutorials online talk about SQL Server and Sharepoint, I dont have access to either.

celestial teapot posted:

It would be easier to say for sure if I could see the data source instead of the pivot table, but a pivot table should be able to do this for you: you would add a total row for PO Number and change it from a sum to a count. Edit: Okay, it sounds like you said you tried that, which is weird. Pivot tables are designed to handle data normalized in the way that you described. Can you post the workbook?

If you want a function to do this, you probably want DCOUNTA:

http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/excel-count-one-occurrence.htm
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/dcounta-HP005209050.aspx

Thank you for your help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

He asked my religion and I replied "agnostic." He asked how to spell it, and remarked with a sigh: "Well, there are many religions, but I suppose they all worship the same God."

Busy Bee posted:

I've been messing around with PowerView on Excel 2013 and I was wondering if there was a way that I can have all my PowerView sheets in presentable format. All the tutorials online talk about SQL Server and Sharepoint, I dont have access to either.

Maybe this: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/create-a-power-view-sheet-connected-to-an-external-data-model-in-excel-HA103230578.aspx

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
There's something I want to do in Excel, but I'm not sure how to go about doing it.

I want to create an Excel spread that allows the user to paste in a bunch of information (let's say a list of names) onto one WorkSheet. Then, there's a second worksheet with another list of names. If there are any matches among the names, partial or full, between the two WorkSheets the user gets some sort of notification.

What functions would I use for creating such an application? I hope my question made sense...

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
There are two types of people who work at my company - contracted employees (c- & t-) and full time employees.

I currently have a list like so with the data on the left, and what I want to accomplish on the right:

I have the "Team" and "Employee Name" in Pivot Tables. How would I go about this using Excel 2013? I'm thinking I could do something with a formula and have a column on my list of employees with "Employee Type" (Contract & Full Time) so then I can just easily play around with the "Count of Employee Type" in Pivot Tables.

Thanks for that. Apparently my company has an offsite Sharepoint site that I had no idea about.

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 21, 2013

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

=COUNTIF() supports wildcards since Excel 2007. In this case since you are checking against more than 1 criteria use =COUNTIFS()

code:
Cell E3 =countifs($A:$A,$D3,$B:$B,"c-*")+countifs($A:$A,$D3,$B:$B,"t-*")
Cell F3 =countif($A:$A,$D3)-$E3

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I've got a large excel sheet with about 50 tabs, each with a similar filtered list. Is there any way to globally set these filters?

Playing around with record I've come up with the below to do the active sheet. Is there an easy way to make it do all sheets, iterate through sheets without having to name each, or all filtered lists in the document?

ActiveSheet.Range("$A$1:$M$500").AutoFilter Field:=4, Criteria1:="Type A"

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

He asked my religion and I replied "agnostic." He asked how to spell it, and remarked with a sigh: "Well, there are many religions, but I suppose they all worship the same God."

melon cat posted:

There's something I want to do in Excel, but I'm not sure how to go about doing it.

I want to create an Excel spread that allows the user to paste in a bunch of information (let's say a list of names) onto one WorkSheet. Then, there's a second worksheet with another list of names. If there are any matches among the names, partial or full, between the two WorkSheets the user gets some sort of notification.

What functions would I use for creating such an application? I hope my question made sense...

=MATCH() would do it, as would any of the lookup functions Lookup() Vlookup() etc.

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

Xenoborg posted:

I've got a large excel sheet with about 50 tabs, each with a similar filtered list. Is there any way to globally set these filters?

Playing around with record I've come up with the below to do the active sheet. Is there an easy way to make it do all sheets, iterate through sheets without having to name each, or all filtered lists in the document?

Whatever it is you are doing, you need this to be done with a database, not excel. You are in for some seriously crufty VBA programming otherwise.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
If Column A in Excel has numbers and text in it, how would you write a rule to move only the text across and up one cell?

code:
A           B
BOB
JOHN
MIKE

A
40302      BOB

20303      JOHN
           MIKE
I'm flailing around with =IF((ISTEXT(A:A)),(OFFSET(A:A,-1,1,1,1),() but I know that's a)shite and b)really shite.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Xenoborg posted:

Probably something like this (I don't use auto filter so I'm just basing this off your code)

code:
dim x as integer
for x=1 to 50
Activeworkbook.sheets(x).Range("$A$1:$M$500").AutoFilter Field:=4, Criteria1:="Type A"

next x

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!

Total Meatlove posted:

If Column A in Excel has numbers and text in it, how would you write a rule to move only the text across and up one cell?

In B2, =IF(A3>100000,A3,"")

Any word is larger than any number.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

ZerodotJander posted:

In B2, =IF(A3>100000,A3,"")

Any word is larger than any number.

=if(isnumber(A3),"",A3)
=if(istext(A3),A3,"")

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Harry posted:

Probably something like this (I don't use auto filter so I'm just basing this off your code)

code:
dim x as integer
for x=1 to 50
Activeworkbook.sheets(x).Range("$A$1:$M$500").AutoFilter Field:=4, Criteria1:="Type A"

next x

Thank you, this worked just as I had imagined.

MythObstacleIV
Oct 27, 2007

640509-040147
I've been racking my brain at this for a while:

I have two files. I need the red in column 1(pretend the numbers are the same, it's in the list somewhere), the green in column 2, and the blue in column 3.

The hard part is that bottom file. I don't know how to get that green number in the same row as its associated red number. I tried delimiting it and had it all in a column, and tried to grab every 7th row but the spacing isn't that nice so that didn't work.

If I can at least get that done so the red and green are nicely lined up that'd be great. The next step would be associating the correct blue number.

I have no idea. Any help would be awesome. I've googled a lot but I've never really used visual basic or lookup tables until trying to attempt this.

I noticed the the red terms have the 000 marker and the green have the 200. Otherwise it's all mish-mashed and different as you go.

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

That is a job for regular expressions.

Edit: Added you on AIM.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!

MythObstacleIV posted:

I have two files. I need the red in column 1(pretend the numbers are the same, it's in the list somewhere), the green in column 2, and the blue in column 3.

The hard part is that bottom file. I don't know how to get that green number in the same row as its associated red number. I tried delimiting it and had it all in a column, and tried to grab every 7th row but the spacing isn't that nice so that didn't work.

Someone else will probably post a more elegant solution, but what I would do is:

1. Open the 2nd file in an advanced Text Editor of your choice - Textpad, Emacs, Vim, whatever
2. Replace \n> (new line then >) with some sort of placeholder, e.g. @@
3. Replace "<TD width=13%>" with Tab
4. Replace all remaining newlines with Tab
5. Replace your placeholder with newline
6. Paste into Excel

This should turn each block starting with a > prompt into one line, with tabs between strings, and all of the values you need should be lined up into the same column.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Anyway you can post the files?

MythObstacleIV
Oct 27, 2007

640509-040147

ZerodotJander posted:

Someone else will probably post a more elegant solution, but what I would do is:

1. Open the 2nd file in an advanced Text Editor of your choice - Textpad, Emacs, Vim, whatever
2. Replace \n> (new line then >) with some sort of placeholder, e.g. @@
3. Replace "<TD width=13%>" with Tab
4. Replace all remaining newlines with Tab
5. Replace your placeholder with newline
6. Paste into Excel

This should turn each block starting with a > prompt into one line, with tabs between strings, and all of the values you need should be lined up into the same column.

If I attempt that I get this:

The formatting of the file is weird and not at all consistent. The TD width is sometimes a T D or there's no ">".

celestial teapot is currently doing crazy stuff to hammer it out.

EDIT: Task accomplished! Thank you!

Thanks for the help! I would prefer not to directly post the entire file. I have a lot of new stuff I need to learn now. :)

MythObstacleIV fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 22, 2013

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

sed and regular expressions: the multitool in every nerd's toolbelt

:effortless:

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Is there a generally agreed upon best site for learning VBA? I'm about to start a big project that I'm told will require "minimal" VBA. I would say I know "minimal" VBA already, but my knowledge has been scrapped together as it was required rather than formally learned.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Hoops posted:

Is there a generally agreed upon best site for learning VBA? I'm about to start a big project that I'm told will require "minimal" VBA. I would say I know "minimal" VBA already, but my knowledge has been scrapped together as it was required rather than formally learned.

That's how I learned as well. I would run into a problem and google "VBA Excel [Insert problem here]" and almost always found someone who had already asked and answered my question.

Most common answers came from vbforums.com, ozgrid.com, and stackoverflow.com but Microsoft also put the VBA object model online for a FULL run through of each object and function http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/aa272268(v=office.11).aspx However, although that site is thorough it may not be as friendly to novice programmers.

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

Yup, Google will solve everything you can think of for awhile. But ozgrid has been a great resource for me if I need to find answers to more advanced questions that can't be answered with a Google search. The hardcore sorcerer-level VBA gurus mostly hang out there in my experience. Learn by doing!

For the most part I learned by piecing things together until it worked well enough to deploy in the office. But Chip Pearson's website is a really good place to see how VBA looks when it's written 'right': http://www.cpearson.com/excel/mainpage.aspx

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

celestial teapot posted:

=MATCH() would do it, as would any of the lookup functions Lookup() Vlookup() etc.
You're awesome. I'll get to work on things, and I'm sure I'll be bugging you again with some more questions. :)

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
I'm writing a small vba function that takes input from two cells and returns one string. Its a bit more complicated than the example but the idea is:

Function example(cell1, cell2)

example = cell1 & cell2

End Function

The problem is, if one of the inputs is a date (e.g "Mar-13"), then it will return 1/03/2013. Is there a way to force it to text of Mar-13 rather than a number? 

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

In the sheet, it's =TEXT(). In VBA, it's =FORMAT().

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

This is technically a google sheets question, but I'm pretty sure all the formulas are the same as in Excel. I'm trying to make it so whenever cell A contains a certain word "egg", B cell to the right of it produces "omelette". I know how to do it if A cell contains only "egg" (=if(A1="egg", "omelette", "")) but I can't figure out how to do it if there are other words in addition to "egg" in cell A. Am I supposed to use wildcards or something?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
You can use find() to return the starting position of egg in a string. If egg doesn't exist, it'll just return an error.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Well I need something that will just return a blank cell if the word doesn't exist.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Ron Don Volante posted:

Well I need something that will just return a blank cell if the word doesn't exist.

=iferror(search("egg",A1),"")

If you are running an older version of Excel (I think pre 2007) use this instead
=if(iserror(search("egg",A1)),"",search("egg",A1))

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah IFERROR was added in Office 2007.

blue font
Feb 28, 2011
My knowledge of excel is basically nil so hopefully I manage to ask this question while making some semblance of sense. What I'm trying to do is make a little spreadsheet for an RPG I'm playing. I'm doing this just as kind of a fun little exercise. What I have so far looks something like this:

The 'abilities' column has the name of a bunch of different magical properties. The cell to the right of each shows the stat bonuses for that magic property. I've also got a dropdown box on the lift (under Affix) with the same list of magical properties attached. Basically what I want is to be able to select a property from the Affix dropdown box, and its stat bonus to appear on the column to the right. In other words, I want to when I select L4 from the dropdown box, I want whatever's in M4 to appear right next to it.

I've managed to do this very crudely so far:

=IF(D2=L2;M2;IF(D2=L3;M3;IF(D2=L4;M4;IF(D2=L5;M5;IF(D2=L6;M6;IF(D2=L7;M7.... and so on and so on

But I imagine there's a much simpler way of doing this rather than writing one endless that calls every single row on those columns. Any ideas?

iamnotcreative
Jul 28, 2002
What, you expected something creative here?

blue font posted:

My knowledge of excel is basically nil so hopefully I manage to ask this question while making some semblance of sense. What I'm trying to do is make a little spreadsheet for an RPG I'm playing. I'm doing this just as kind of a fun little exercise. What I have so far looks something like this:

The 'abilities' column has the name of a bunch of different magical properties. The cell to the right of each shows the stat bonuses for that magic property. I've also got a dropdown box on the lift (under Affix) with the same list of magical properties attached. Basically what I want is to be able to select a property from the Affix dropdown box, and its stat bonus to appear on the column to the right. In other words, I want to when I select L4 from the dropdown box, I want whatever's in M4 to appear right next to it.

=IF(D2=L2;M2;IF(D2=L3;M3;IF(D2=L4;M4;IF(D2=L5;M5;IF(D2=L6;M6;IF(D2=L7;M7.... and so on and so on

But I imagine there's a much simpler way of doing this rather than writing one endless that calls every single row on those columns. Any ideas?

In Cell E2

=OFFSET($L$1,MATCH($D$2,$L2:$L8,0),1)

In Cell F2

=OFFSET($L$1,MATCH($D$2,$L2:$L8,0),2)

And so on where $L2:$L8 is your list of values under abilities. MATCH returns the position in the list starting from your first cell and OFFSET works by looking at the cell that is 2nd parameter down and 3rd parameter across from the cell defined in the 1st parameter, which is why it starts at L1 instead of L2.

iamnotcreative fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 4, 2013

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm trying to create a foreign currency converter, and I've hit a snag:

I want to set up a spreadsheet that allows me to type in a dollar amount in Column B, the exchange rate in Column C. I want the excel spreadsheet to multiply Column B * Column C if the FX rate in Column C is above 1.00 (ie. 1.0324) and divide if it's below 1.00 (ie. 0.457).

In other words, I want the spreadsheet to "detect" whether the value in Column C is above or below 1.00, and multiply or divide depending on the value. I've been at this for days with no luck. :ohdear:

Raven31
Feb 4, 2006

melon cat posted:

I'm trying to create a foreign currency converter, and I've hit a snag:

I want to set up a spreadsheet that allows me to type in a dollar amount in Column B, the exchange rate in Column C. I want the excel spreadsheet to multiply Column B * Column C if the FX rate in Column C is above 1.00 (ie. 1.0324) and divide if it's below 1.00 (ie. 0.457).

In other words, I want the spreadsheet to "detect" whether the value in Column C is above or below 1.00, and multiply or divide depending on the value. I've been at this for days with no luck. :ohdear:

=if(C2>1,B2*C2,B2/C2)

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Raven31 posted:

=if(C2>1,B2*C2,B2/C2)
Whoh! Quick response. Thanks! That did the trick. Hope you wouldn't mind me asking (I just want to make sure I completely understand the logic), but how did Excel know to divide if C2 <1? I thought I needed an IF or AND statement to make it work the way you just did...

\/ I understand, now. Thanks again.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 4, 2013

Raven31
Feb 4, 2006

melon cat posted:

Whoh! Quick response. Thanks! That did the trick. Hope you wouldn't mind me asking (I just want to make sure I completely understand the logic), but how did Excel know to divide if C2 <1? I thought I needed an IF or AND statement to make it work the way you just did...

=if(C2>1,B2*C2,B2/C2) is saying the following:

If the contents of C2 are greater than 1 multiply cells B2 and C2.
Otherwise (i.e. if C2 is NOT greater than 1) divide cell B2 by C2.

The if statement occurs at the beginning of the formula. If you wanted to cover more categories than >1 or <1 you would need a nested if statement or another approach.

For example, if you wanted to take B2*C2 for C2>1, B2 for C2=1, and B2/C2 for C2<1 you could do the following:

=if(C2>1,B2*C2,if(C2=1,B2,B2/C2))

It gets ugly fast and there are usually better approaches but it works. You can also add in OR(), AND(), and other criteria to if statements but none are needed in the scenario you've outlined.

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

blue font posted:

Basically what I want is to be able to select a property from the Affix dropdown box, and its stat bonus to appear on the column to the right...But I imagine there's a much simpler way of doing this rather than writing one endless that calls every single row on those columns. Any ideas?

Whatever value this spreadsheet has for you would be achieved much more easily with an AutoFilter, I'd think.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

blue font posted:

I know iamnotcreative gave an answer, but also try

=vlookup(D2,$L$2:$M$7,2,false)
=vlookup(D2,$L$2:$N$7,3,false)

Old James fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 4, 2013

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

At work I'm sort of the fixer of everything, Point of Sale, hardware, moving boxes, inventory management, and this time it's working with mountains of excel workbooks to pull out data.

I'm trying to create an Excel macro which would open a file browser and enable selection of multiple workbooks titled "Daily Report for (The Date)".

Then it will look for a sheet in each of the books called "Deposit Sheet" and take the numerical value in cells A1, B2, and C3 in each sheet across the workbooks and create a sheet which returns the sum of the A1 cells across multiple workbooks, the sum of the B2 cells, and the sum of the C3 cells as well.

I've seen a similar program on an excel help forum, but it seemed to only work for the original author and everyone else had troubles implementing it.

I'd appreciate any help, if one person knows how or a few people contribute to something I can copy, paste, and run I'd be happy to donate a few bucks to a charity or two in someone's name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I want to create a Yes/No checkbox for a specific question (ie. D(o you live in Canada?"), whereas the text colour for that text turns red if 'No' is selected. How do I go about doing this?

Also- let's say I have two worksheets in the same workbook (let's call them Sheet 1 + Sheet 2). I want whatever information that's typed up in Sheet 1 Cell A1 to automatically appear in Cell B1 in Sheet 2. How do I get this to happen?

Sorry for this onslught of questions... still trying to getting better at Excel. :ohdear:

melon cat fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 6, 2013