Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cugel
Jan 22, 2010
Xbox360 Ur-Dragon is in grace period right now.

Edit:

Bakalakadaka and Punkboy pawns, Nappa and Kei, after the poor beast slaughter.

cugel fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

allsizesfitone
May 7, 2007
People never notice anything.
Finally picked this up, and I'm liking it so far. I only just got my pawn and all, but I threw it on the 360 tab of the spreadsheet (Live ID is allsizesfitone as well). I want to use goon pawns but there aren't many low-level ones listed.

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico
The Forgotten City really gets a lot more difficult on your second BBI run. After killing 5 eliminators and nervously eyeing the 3 wyrms on the rooftops, that can cast on you from across the map, I booked out of there.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is my pawn casting an enchantment over and over that the enemy we're fighting is immune to a product of incomplete knowledge of that enemy, or something else?

That's why I was asking earlier if there was a way to remove enchantments from weapons. Stupid pawn, stop enchanting my heaven's keys with dark magic when I'm fighting spectral armors.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 21, 2013

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I'm thinking of switching my pawn from a snake lady Sorcerer to a two-hander wielding Warrior and see if that gets her more hires. Is there a particular class that people find most useful in a hired pawn?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Crowetron posted:

I'm thinking of switching my pawn from a snake lady Sorcerer to a two-hander wielding Warrior and see if that gets her more hires. Is there a particular class that people find most useful in a hired pawn?

I think if this thread's taught anything, pubbies are loving shallow so just make sure your pawn looks attractive. Deck it out in 'rad looking' gear, rest at the inn so that state gets uploaded, then dress it in the lovely looking but good outfit you prefer them to wear out into the wild.

Trampy Vampy
Mar 21, 2008

It don't mean a thing,
If it ain't got that swing.

Crowetron posted:

Personally, warriors are the one class that I don't hire. I find that pawns don't use warrior skills particularly well, and I watch warrior pawns either sit there charging and doing nothing, or only finally getting to a fight when things are pretty much settled. They're outdamaged by rangers and sorcs, and fighters/striders have more utility.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
How long exactly is the "grace period" for the Ur-Dragon kills?

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
I don't think Warrior pawns charge up indomitable lash at all. Without charging it, it does very little damage. They often miss with it too.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
I killed him three times in three days and I could not tell. Thirty minutes maybe?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just defeated the elder ogre by knocking it off a cliff. :v:

Who am I to question good fortune, can't say expected that happen though, this game really surprises you sometimes.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Crowetron posted:

If you've been leveling your pawn as a Sorcerer for a long while, it'll make a very poor warrior due to lack of physical attack. Warriors in general are pretty poor, honestly, particularly as pawns where they're awful at using their skills. They're also melee, and melee pawns very often have issues sticking to a target or hitting weak points.

The classes I tend to find that I need the most are:
-Sorcerers with a nice variety of long/short casting offensive spells, holy affinity, voidspell, offensive inclinations (Scather, Mitigator, Challenger), and NO MAELSTROM. Grand Fulmination is a big plus.
-Support Mages with high (not grand) anodyne, holy affinity, halidom, support inclinations (preferably Utilitarian/Medicant), and some good offensive spells of varying elements.
-Rangers with offensive inclinations, tenfold flurry, and no stupid poo poo like great gamble. Honestly, if you slapped tenfold flurry on there and nothing else I'd love it. Save me some effort and unequip those daggers while you're at it. I just want an arrow machinegun for reliable, ranged physical damage.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 21, 2013

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Warriors are definitely going to need an update in whatever sequel they make because some of their gimmicks just don't work. They have huge hit points and long reach and individual hits are hard, but they are slow, have really limited attack options, poor maneuverability, half the active skills of other classes, and their signature abilities like Lash and Arc don't actually deal enough damage to justify their charge times, especially when they're basically single hit spells and everything moves so fast.

I like warriors because they feel powerful, but they're only adequate tanks (with the right inclinations and War Cry) and whiff-tastic DPS and playing one really makes me want a melee answer to Tenfold Flurry/(a multitude of kick rear end spells that actually go off regularly). I think they'd be great "muscle mages" if only they had the pay off to go with it. Give them Zangief style tornado attacks (Ecliptic Slash is pretty good, but I'm talking make it like Brontide where you keep spinning until you jump or something) and if you're going to make the Warrior stand still to charge the attack when targets are always all over the arena, give them a targeting cursor and then leap them to the target to actually land the attack.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Lotish posted:

Warriors are definitely going to need an update in whatever sequel they make because some of their gimmicks just don't work. They have huge hit points and long reach and individual hits are hard, but they are slow, have really limited attack options, poor maneuverability, half the active skills of other classes, and their signature abilities like Lash and Arc don't actually deal enough damage to justify their charge times, especially when they're basically single hit spells and everything moves so fast.

I like warriors because they feel powerful, but they're only adequate tanks (with the right inclinations and War Cry) and whiff-tastic DPS and playing one really makes me want a melee answer to Tenfold Flurry/(a multitude of kick rear end spells that actually go off regularly). I think they'd be great "muscle mages" if only they had the pay off to go with it. Give them Zangief style tornado attacks (Ecliptic Slash is pretty good, but I'm talking make it like Brontide where you keep spinning until you jump or something) and if you're going to make the Warrior stand still to charge the attack when targets are always all over the arena, give them a targeting cursor and then leap them to the target to actually land the attack.
Finally, someone who agrees with me. I am SO MUCH worse at fighting almost everything with a warrior than every other class. The only worthwhile move I can think of is the circular slash series, but that may only be because of the ring upgrade that turns it into the eclipse slash. It is of course useless for anything more than a foot above the ground though...

edit: the DPS of the two big heavy charge moves doesn't come close to the dragon's maw or tenfold flurries from the archer classes, and has a billion times more risk associated with it.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 21, 2013

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What is with BBI and getting magically one shotted by poo poo, its happened to me 5 or 6 times already and its pissing me the gently caress off, just now the zombie dragon clipped through his body to grab and slam me on the ground and kill me even though I survived the attack several times before.

Its starting to irritate to me and making BBI a huge chore. Tiny rooms really show how bad the camera is indoors to, it absolutely shits the bed when he a big enemy starts jumping around.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Yeah, the Warrior vocation was a bit of a disappointment to me since I was hoping that it would be a bit more like playing Guts from Berserk, i.e a hell of a bruiser with good manueverability. Instead it just feels unweildy and slightly gimped to me.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
It's really only BBI where warrior hits the fail boat though. BBI does a number of things that is pretty contrary to the overall Dragon's Dogma design, and some things definitely suffer for it.

Sorcerer is in a similar boat too. It can manage for some things, but when you have like 3 eliminators on a screen: nope.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Ranger pawns will use special arrows if I give them to them, right? I'm warming up to the idea of a bow buddy.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Warrior pawns are best used with abilities that don't have to be charged, the AI doesn't do well with them. Indomitable Lunge, Corona Slash, and the uppercut one are pretty good. They also love using jumping attacks so the Eminence aug will help. Sorcerers who only have big nukes equipped are probably the most useless because they will usually get stuck in a loop of start casting animation-detect enemy nearby-cancel animation and jump away. So they literally contribute nothing to the fight, warriors will at least hit stuff and put dudes in full nelsons.

Crowetron posted:

Ranger pawns will use special arrows if I give them to them, right? I'm warming up to the idea of a bow buddy.

Strider and ranger pawns will use special arrows, although they do so of their own accord so they may not always use them when you want them to. I've seen them use sleep and blast arrows at least. If they know an enemy is weak to the debilitation the arrows cause that may encourage them to use them more often.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Finally, someone who agrees with me. I am SO MUCH worse at fighting almost everything with a warrior than every other class. The only worthwhile move I can think of is the circular slash series, but that may only be because of the ring upgrade that turns it into the eclipse slash. It is of course useless for anything more than a foot above the ground though...

edit: the DPS of the two big heavy charge moves doesn't come close to the dragon's maw or tenfold flurries from the archer classes, and has a billion times more risk associated with it.

Essentially, when I find the MOST useful attack of a class is a Jumping Heavy attack-there are issues.

Arc of Deliverance is gimmicky fun if you can get it off. It CAN happen-if you manage to have a pawn who can knock the drake down as you're charging it I've gotten it off, but really, it's a gimmicky fun attack.

Lunge I find pretty useful as an Arisen. I've seen my pawn buddy make pretty good use of it. He makes good use of the Whirlwind Slash, and I find that pretty useful overall too, though it does come out slow.

My own pawn is a Warrior because I'm stubborn-and I'm pretty sure he's hired on his looks alone to be honest despite trying to get him hitting like three trucks and keeping his inclinations straight. Given that he's gotten a fair bit of rentals in spite of being a warrior rather than because of that, I'd imagine I could double them if I would just suck it up and make him a Strider or Ranger(both infinitely more popular as pawn rentals), but he'd lose his heavy armor look(and thus probably lose the reason the random people who rent him rent him anyway-plus, more importantly, it's the look I want for him). I notice Fighter pawns tend to be marginally more popular than Warriors, though far behind the yellow or blue classes.

Essentially I think that looks are pretty much 80% of rentals, but class does play a part as well(IE, if someone really likes your look they'll take you regardless of class-they being the general population, not anyone on the boards or whatnot-but if they like both you and someone else whose a 'better' class they may take the 'better' class.) Apparently the key to high rentals are a blue or yellow pawn with a look that may seem popular.

I will say though I agree that BBI bites Sorcerers in the rear end more than in the main game, though, so Warriors and Fighters aren't the only folks who suffered. I think Mages get by well because they're mostly support. In the classic game, not having ranged(Red classes), or the long cast time of Sorcs could be annoying(the former a bit more), but wasn't particularly crippling in any way. In BBI, the former IS pretty crippling(impossible, no, annoying as gently caress, yes), and those long cast times feel a LOT worse.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Alteisen posted:

What is with BBI and getting magically one shotted by poo poo, its happened to me 5 or 6 times already and its pissing me the gently caress off, just now the zombie dragon clipped through his body to grab and slam me on the ground and kill me even though I survived the attack several times before.

Its starting to irritate to me and making BBI a huge chore. Tiny rooms really show how bad the camera is indoors to, it absolutely shits the bed when he a big enemy starts jumping around.

What's your level and gear like? When I just entered BBI at level 50ish with my freshly post-game Arisen I was getting killed in one hit by cursed dragons and gorecyclopes as well. It gets better really quickly since you gain a ton of levels and gear in BBI even if you don't kill the bigger monsters.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

cugel posted:

Xbox360 Ur-Dragon is in grace period right now.

Edit:

Bakalakadaka and Punkboy pawns, Nappa and Kei, after the poor beast slaughter.

Thanks for the hire! Hope she helped out!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I gotta say I was impressed with how Sorcerer could perform in BBI when I all but cleared it after my warrior run (I wanted to see if Articulancy could improve Arc of Obliteration's cast time). Both are good against crowds (the former is of course better if they can get breathing room) and I already had some ring upgrades that just made some spells hilariously powerful. I hate the pink phantoms, and having the lightning cloud spell going while they're trying to reform is so god drat cathartic after having to fight them as a warrior. But Warriors can be pretty bad against bosses--especially the boss, goddamn--while Sorcerer seemed to just absolutely ruin dragons, prisoner gorecyclopes, and eliminators if my fighter pawn was doing her job. That said, I admit I did not actually kill Chestface with a sorcerer. I understand it's just as not fun if not moreso as the warrior experience.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ojetor posted:

What's your level and gear like? When I just entered BBI at level 50ish with my freshly post-game Arisen I was getting killed in one hit by cursed dragons and gorecyclopes as well. It gets better really quickly since you gain a ton of levels and gear in BBI even if you don't kill the bigger monsters.

50, middling gear I guess, all I've found is a new hat in there.

The deaths wouldn't bother me if they where consistent but they aren't, sometimes I survive something, sometimes I don't, and everytime at full health, hell when I was fighting the big eyeball I fell from a perfectly survivable height and died when I hit the ground, it was weird.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I beat the game last night for the first time and wanted to get in on some Ur-Dragon killing, but I'm not quite understanding how this works. I fought him and barely scratched his health - is the grace period only for the 360?

Also, if I want to fight him offline, do I really have to unplug my network cable?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Hakkesshu posted:

I beat the game last night for the first time and wanted to get in on some Ur-Dragon killing, but I'm not quite understanding how this works. I fought him and barely scratched his health - is the grace period only for the 360?

Also, if I want to fight him offline, do I really have to unplug my network cable?
Basically, the Ur Dragon has an obscene amount of health, and the damage done to it is combined from everyone fighting it. Eventually, it'll die, and there'll be a period where it'll be at low health for the grace period, which allows for people to get in on a quick kill of the Dragon. The grace period only lasts for so long, and each console has its own Ur Dragon that's independent of the other.

You can go into the game's options and change your settings to offline mode, and that should be sufficient.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Haha, IAMCRAIG's Strider pawn is awesome. He was climbing all over this curse dragon and once when the curse dragon went to grab him he jumped up and climbed up it's arm instead.

By the way, curse dragons suck at low levels(I'm 59). Their strongest attacks(the grab move in particular) will probably one-shot you and anything else will bring you down to around 10% health. The bite combo is the worst, and I can't imagine dodging it without dodge.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Lotish posted:

I gotta say I was impressed with how Sorcerer could perform in BBI when I all but cleared it after my warrior run (I wanted to see if Articulancy could improve Arc of Obliteration's cast time). Both are good against crowds (the former is of course better if they can get breathing room) and I already had some ring upgrades that just made some spells hilariously powerful. I hate the pink phantoms, and having the lightning cloud spell going while they're trying to reform is so god drat cathartic after having to fight them as a warrior. But Warriors can be pretty bad against bosses--especially the boss, goddamn--while Sorcerer seemed to just absolutely ruin dragons, prisoner gorecyclopes, and eliminators if my fighter pawn was doing her job. That said, I admit I did not actually kill Chestface with a sorcerer. I understand it's just as not fun if not moreso as the warrior experience.
How on earth did you clear the double dragons or the final leg as a Sorcerer. The spells just get chain cast on me and I could never actually finish a spell. I jut end up using the fast cast nukes and being bored out of my mind.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Nahxela posted:

Basically, the Ur Dragon has an obscene amount of health, and the damage done to it is combined from everyone fighting it. Eventually, it'll die, and there'll be a period where it'll be at low health for the grace period, which allows for people to get in on a quick kill of the Dragon. The grace period only lasts for so long, and each console has its own Ur Dragon that's independent of the other.

You can go into the game's options and change your settings to offline mode, and that should be sufficient.

Fighting him is also boring, but you have to contribute I guess. For me it was Hundred Kisses on weak points then shoot with magic bow until stamina is back, repeat until he flees. Then try again later. I did fight him something like ten times in three days, I did flee sometimes without fighting just to check his health. All that in NG+ for easy access to the riftsone in Casardis.

But now I have another Abyssinal set...

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Rascyc posted:

How on earth did you clear the double dragons or the final leg as a Sorcerer. The spells just get chain cast on me and I could never actually finish a spell. I jut end up using the fast cast nukes and being bored out of my mind.

I got lucky in that they were frost dragons (wyrms?) and I have a really good tanking pawn who kept the dragons off me most of the time so I could spam Comestion. They'd cluster up and a well placed cast would wreck both of their hearts at once. Rinse and repeat. It wasn't fun doing that for the thunder wyverns in the next room (I could knock them down reliably but damaging them was slow), but Comestion ruins crowds of Eliminators quite handily. I just skip Living Armors at this point.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I finally beat Super Daimon today and got a very good sword as a reward from the chests outside his lair, its a 1H Sword called Devilsbane and has 1200 Strength as a baseline, I got it Dragonforged thanks to a nearby Thunderwyrm and had enough mats to upgrade it one rank above, so its now at about 1650 strength.

Its pretty much a sword of mass destruction.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Any suggestions for ways to get my pawn hired? He's kind of a gimmick (wrestling tag-team guy), maybe that won't be as popular as an attractive lady. What's the best nature combo for a healer mage? I've had him as Medicant/Utilitarian, but I'm not sure if I want that in a different order or something.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Sega 32X posted:

Any suggestions for ways to get my pawn hired? He's kind of a gimmick (wrestling tag-team guy), maybe that won't be as popular as an attractive lady. What's the best nature combo for a healer mage? I've had him as Medicant/Utilitarian, but I'm not sure if I want that in a different order or something.

Between your awesome name on here (I'm staring at my 32x right now) and your fun gimmick pawn, I'll hire you...

And my mage pawn is Utilitarian/Medicant, seems to work out ok. I actually think she switched to Scather at some point in BBI, so I need to change her back.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Sega 32X posted:

Utilitarian/Medicant tends to encourage them to use buff spells more often. If they're Medicant/Utilitarian they won't buff so long as anyone is missing even a single point of health.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Something weird I've noticed about Mega-Daimon, but can't really prove: I think his 'elemental weakness' is actually a LACK of enchantment (ie, bog-standard magick), because I tried every elemental arrow shenanigan MA has on him and none of them did half as much damage as single, unenchanted shots from my magick bow. Sixfold Bolt in particular did less than half as much damage as a single, non-fancy shot. Super-strange.

edit: Sixfold Bolt, not flurry.

Good Lord Fisher! fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 22, 2013

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Something weird I've noticed about Mega-Daimon, but can't really prove: I think his 'elemental weakness' is actually a LACK of enchantment (ie, bog-standard magick), because I tried every elemental arrow shenanigan MA has on him and none of them did half as much damage as single, unenchanted shots from my magick bow. Sixfold Bolt in particular did less than half as much damage as a single, non-fancy shot. Super-strange.

edit: Sixfold Bolt, not flurry.

I haven't noticed such a thing because I kill him in like 30 seconds with ninefold and blackwing bow.

Wow Ghost Dragon Pope just decided to float into the little tunnel that comes before his room. This was a terrible idea for him against a magick archer :getin:.

Bakalakadaka fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 22, 2013

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Does anyone know exactly how the Drake/Wyvern/Wyrm's tears affect drop rates? I have two of them but since I'm not godsbane scumming I don't exactly have scientific data to test it out.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Nifft posted:

I saw some posts about the save game corruption bug. Does playing offline avoid the problem? Or will I be ok if I started a new game after downloading the update?

Yes, I think so. What happened with me is I downloaded the update and then the 'Load Game' option didn't even show up so I had to start a new game.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Does anyone know exactly how the Drake/Wyvern/Wyrm's tears affect drop rates? I have two of them but since I'm not godsbane scumming I don't exactly have scientific data to test it out.

Each one adds 1% to rare drop rates, and another 1% if you have all 3 so 4% altogether. In Everfall they appear to greatly increase Wakestone shard droprates as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Anyone know of a good way to farm DP in new game plus? I really hate the post-game GRIMDARKNESS because I can never see a drat thing I'm supposed to be hitting, but the regular stuff isn't terribly challenging now.

• Locked thread