Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f49yRhJ0NjI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
I can't get enough of this album now. Admittedly I was a bit apprehensive on my first listen but this is really up there as one of their best. It's tight though.

Mr. Mojangles
Dec 15, 2005

I think this album will grow on me. I somehow instantly loved Era Vulgaris, but I find myself really appreciating Lullabies a bit more sometimes which was also... a "grower?"

e: Anyone else feel that Fairweather Friends would make more sense as a Foo Fighters song?

Mr. Mojangles fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 22, 2013

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Queens of the Stone Age posted:

Queens of the Stone Age are set to play Edmonton's Shaw Conference Center on August 7th and Calgary's Stampede Corral on August 8th.
Check back here for the exclusive pre-sale link and password.
Public onsales start this Friday at 10am.

Fuckin' rights. First shows off of their Euro tour are in Edmonton, Calgary, and Squamish Valley. I braved the Alberta corridor for Eagles of Death Metal in 2009, wherein I ended up with a girlfriend for three years and a huge rock chip in my windshield, and now that I'm single I'll have to do the whole thing again. And seeing as how I've crowdsurfed to Long Slow Goodbye, my new goal is to crowdsurf to the title track from this album and complete the circle.

Mr. Samuel Shitley
Jun 15, 2007

by XyloJW
Don't get me wrong, I love Kalopsia as it is, but I almost wish there was a whole song of floaty chill vocal harmonies because I am a huge sucker for those.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
I really hope they play an actual Vancouver show. That festival they are playing in Squamish looks terrible.

Booba Fett
Dec 1, 2008

As you wish...
NPR is going to be streaming their live performance from the Wiltern in Los Angeles on Thursday 8 PST. They're going to play the entire album straight, which is awesome(especially since I'll be at the concert)!

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip

Tangy Zizzle posted:

0'23" to 0'31" in My God is The Sun is the best thing
I know you meant 1:30 to 1:38, but that's okay.

Album is awesome. The only song that hasn't caught my attention is If I Had A Tail (and possibly Fairweather Friends). Very reminiscent of the meandering and rudderless years of QOTSA when they were putting out merely passable material. Good in a vacuum, but everything around it loving slays it. Keep Your Eyes Peeled, My God Is The Sun, Kalopsia and I Appear Missing is amongst the best stuff they've ever done.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

Booba Fett posted:

NPR is going to be streaming their live performance from the Wiltern in Los Angeles on Thursday 8 PST. They're going to play the entire album straight, which is awesome(especially since I'll be at the concert)!

...When did they announce this show? I've been waiting for them to play in LA again forever. All my friends wanted to go...

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
I think Smooth Sailing is my favourite track off this album. The groove and bite that song has are intense as gently caress and I just can't stop dancing when it comes on.

Booba Fett
Dec 1, 2008

As you wish...

Rocco posted:

...When did they announce this show? I've been waiting for them to play in LA again forever. All my friends wanted to go...

They announced it last Thursday, then put it on sale less than an hour after it was announced. It sold out in less than 30 minutes. I was super lucky that I checked facebook at the time I did or I would've had no idea either.

Elliptical Dick posted:

I think Smooth Sailing is my favourite track off this album. The groove and bite that song has are intense as gently caress and I just can't stop dancing when it comes on.

Smooth Sailing is fantastic. It just sounds so drat sexy.

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
After Era Vulgaris I was worried about Queens going the way of many other bands with increasingly lame material, but drat this album has set me straight. If I Had A Tail is the smoothest goddamn poo poo I've ever heard, holy gently caress.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Lord Zafo posted:

If I Had A Tail is the smoothest goddamn poo poo I've ever heard, holy gently caress.
It's definitely one of my favorites on the album, but after it was pointed out that it totally sounds like Gimme Shelter, it's all I can hear. Doesn't make it less enjoyable, just makes me think maybe I should start listening to the Stones after not being that into them for a long time.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Reminder, Australian listeners can listen to a stream of this concert (the album at least) at I believe 1pm eastern. But don't hold me to it. Keep your eyes peeled etc.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Lord Zafo posted:

After Era Vulgaris I was worried about Queens going the way of many other bands with increasingly lame material, but drat this album has set me straight.

I think this album is much more 'together' than Era Vulgaris and Lullabies. It's like they've distilled their sound much better. Perhaps there being only 10 tracks on it helped with that.

Indecline
Sep 5, 2003

eat my butt into smithereens
Any word on the presale code for the Canadian dates?

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams

Indecline posted:

Any word on the presale code for the Canadian dates?

It was KALOPSIA. I just managed to get a single floor ticket to the Calgary show. Seems like they only released 150 floor tickets for the presale.

Indecline
Sep 5, 2003

eat my butt into smithereens

KillerMojo posted:

It was KALOPSIA. I just managed to get a single floor ticket to the Calgary show. Seems like they only released 150 floor tickets for the presale.

Ah poo poo. I guess I'll have to try my luck tomorrow. Thanks.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

KillerMojo posted:

I got two floor tickets for Calgary. GOON MEAT?!? :yum:

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Someone help me, I can't stop listening to If I Had A Tail over and over again (don't help me)! Wish i had the money to hit up the Squamish festival (Dragonette too? goddamn that would be fun) :(

HairyNipple!
Dec 31, 2004

hello i am fast cheap awesome
I can't stop listening to this album. I didn't feel it too much on the first listen through, but oh boy I've come right around. The same thing happened with Era Vulgaris, but that took me a whole lot longer to come around. Good work Homme, you're still the only guy I'd go gay for.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Booba Fett posted:

It's about to start.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There's a guy playing a square ukulele... ?

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

LordPants posted:

There's a guy playing a square ukulele... ?

That guy playing the square ukulele wrote Hangin' Tree.

Stokes fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 24, 2013

Dirt
May 26, 2003

That was pretty sweet.

Cigar box guitar though, isn't it?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Oh yeah we've got a rock concert.

edit: still miss Nick's vocals though.

:rock: Young Dumb Don't See A Problem :rock:

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 24, 2013

badwater
Nov 19, 2008
oh we got a good show going. Whats the new album vs old song ratio ?

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Going by the description, I thought they were going to do the new album?

Whatever. This is pretty badass, and the stream is really good quality.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
2:1 old v new

badwater
Nov 19, 2008
i miss longer haired josh

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Pretty sure they lied about the entire album being played, not that I am complaining.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe they're mixing old with new because so far they've only played 1 new song compared to 3 or 4 old.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
For sure it was advertised as "Their new LP before jumping into an assortment of old material".

Have we heard anything that we didn't hear in the Americas shows?

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Someone in the comments said something about getting all the C-tuning songs out of the way because most of the new album is in E-Standard.

badwater
Nov 19, 2008
as one who didnt hear the new album, it looks odd seeing josh on keyboard mid stage

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Stokes posted:

Someone in the comments said something about getting all the C-tuning songs out of the way because most of the new album is in E-Standard.

Makes sense.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Holy poo poo, nice segue into I Never Came, haven't heard that one in a while, nice surprise.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

QOTSA has never been within 300 miles of my hometown so this is the first time I've ever seen them live! It's really good.

Alains Johannes was amazing.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

oatgan posted:

QOTSA has never been within 300 miles of my hometown so this is the first time I've ever seen them live! It's really good.

Alains Johannes was amazing.

I've never seen them either, so this is a nice treat. Really great show so far, they're playing a load of great songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Kalopsia live is awesome.

I think it's my favorite song on the album.

• Locked thread