Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Larryb posted:

What is this? Is it just port of the Wii version?

Yup. They added some extra post-game stages and an easy mode but it's the same game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Larryb posted:

What is this? Is it just port of the Wii version?

Yes.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

-Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara (Capcom beat-em-up compilation) will be out on the Wii U eShop on June 18

Oh my God, YES. Now, this isn't the game(s) I was hoping it would be, but the Capcom D&D beatemups were still awesome as hell, even the older ones (like King of Dragons.). Totally looking forward to this.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
When I say "compilation" I mean two games: D&D: Towers of Doom and D&D: Shadow over Mystara. HD filters, drop-in/drop-out online co-op and something called "House Rules" which let you add dipswitch-style modifiers to each game. I don't think it's been priced, but I'd imagine it'll be about $15.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:
Oh no, I know they are the beat em ups. And one of them is the excellent beat em up I was thinking it was. I never played Towers of Doom. Shadow of Mystara is really fun, though. It'll be nice not playing it on a MAME emulator. It wasn't bad, per say, but it was tough when one of my co-op buddies was using a keyboard.

Fifteen sounds pretty fair, I hope it's that price.

Magossa
Feb 24, 2013

"What would Brian Boitano do?"
So I recently got Super Mario World on the VC, and holy spit I do not understand why so many people like that game. The controls are sooooo bad. Is it something I'm suppose to get use to? Is everyone use to it because they played it in their youth? Right now I feel like people only like it for nostalgic reasons. It might just be me sucking at trying to control floaty rear end Mario since I'm so use to the New series. Should I even bother with Super Mario 2?

On a better note, I also got Super Metroid (because .30 why the hell not) and I'm the complete opposite with it. I just wanted to get through the Prologue so I could make a save state on Zebes, and I got hooked. The music, the atmosphere, the graphics, they just pulled me right in. And compared to SMW, the controls are sooooo good. They could be the worst controls ever, but it felt great after that horrible mess SBW was. Can't believe SMW cost 7 bucks and SM only cost .30.

Also, this is my first time ever touching these games. A bit late, but glad I finally did. I'll try to play a some more SMW and see if I can somehow get use to it, but I doubt it.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
If you think Super Mario World is floaty, don't even bother with 2. I don't honestly know how to respond to your post because SMW has really good controls and isn't floaty whereas Super Metroid in general is a bit harder to control.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Magossa posted:

So I recently got Super Mario World on the VC, and holy spit I do not understand why so many people like that game. The controls are sooooo bad. Is it something I'm suppose to get use to? Is everyone use to it because they played it in their youth? Right now I feel like people only like it for nostalgic reasons. It might just be me sucking at trying to control floaty rear end Mario since I'm so use to the New series. Should I even bother with Super Mario 2?
Are... are you serious :negative:

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Magossa posted:

But Mario is Floatier in NSMB than he is in World.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Magossa posted:

I'll add to the echo chamber: New series seems a bit more floaty than SMW. And yeah, if you think World is 'floaty', then run like hell from SMB2.

SMW is my favorite Mario game, next to SM64.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Depends if he was playing it on the gamepad or not. I can't speak for anyone else, but the VC stuff seems to be controlling slightly worse on the gamepad at times to me than playing it on any form of classic controls.

Especially anything to do with holding down the B button.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Revol posted:

I'll add to the echo chamber: New series seems a bit more floaty than SMW. And yeah, if you think World is 'floaty', then run like hell from SMB2.

SMB2 is only floaty if you play as Luigi or Peach. Toad and Mario are pretty normal.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

SMB2 is only floaty if you play as Luigi or Peach.

Ha, I see what you did there.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

RMZXAnarchy posted:

SMB2 is only floaty if you play as Luigi or Peach. Toad and Mario are pretty normal.

They're floating in that it's an actual 'ability' they have. Toad and Mario still have a latent 'floatiness' too them. Gravity in SMB2 is a tad lower than other Mario games, like SMB.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I always play as Toad, so SMB2 doesn't feel floaty to me at all.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
I always play as Toadstool, so it's basically float paradise for me.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I literally can not comprehend someone not liking SMW or thinking it's too floaty. It's easily in the top 3 video games ever made.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Magossa posted:

How is life in bizarro world treating you

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

The controls for SMW are pretty abysmal if you're using a Gamecube controller. Other than that they're really good? :confused:

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Magossa posted:

Not to pile up on you, but I never heard anybody say that, ever. What other Mario or platformer games have you even played?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I feel like the Galaxy games and the NSMB games have this weird thing where you push the thing to get Mario to move and Mario sort of dithers for a moment, then starts moving. Compare to the NES SMB games, SMW, or Mario 64, where you tell him to move and he gets going. It's really weird going back and forth between them.

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot

Pope Guilty posted:

I feel like the Galaxy games and the NSMB games have this weird thing where you push the thing to get Mario to move and Mario sort of dithers for a moment, then starts moving. Compare to the NES SMB games, SMW, or Mario 64, where you tell him to move and he gets going. It's really weird going back and forth between them.

I thought that was really annoying in the original NSMB, but not as noticeable in NSMB2, which is why I like NSMB2; it got what NSMB tried to do right.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I'd bet almost anything that person's TV is giving him input lag. I noticed it as well in comparison to how well SMW controlled on the gamepad only.

If you have this problem, see if your TV has a "gamemode" option and turn that on, it fixed the input lag for me while playing on my TV.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Sega's final (for now) 3D Classics-style remake has been revealed: Altered Beast!

http://archives.sega.jp/3d/juouki/index.html

Way to end on a low note, Sega.

Magossa
Feb 24, 2013

"What would Brian Boitano do?"

katkillad2 posted:

I'd bet almost anything that person's TV is giving him input lag. I noticed it as well in comparison to how well SMW controlled on the gamepad only.

If you have this problem, see if your TV has a "gamemode" option and turn that on, it fixed the input lag for me while playing on my TV.

My TV does have huge input lag, but that's not it since I used the gamepad. I played some more of it and I still don't like the feel. I think I know what it might be that's bothering me though. The camera. For some reason, my mind can't comprehend the way it follows Mario around. It almost makes me nauseous. It reminds me of classic Sonic games, which I can't play ether because of the camera.

Also, I want to let everyone know that I don't hate the game at all. I :swoon:LOVE:swoon: the music and sounds and graphics and all that jazz, I'm just kind of disappointed that I can't play it correctly because of how weird it feels to me. Hope everyone understands :).

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Magossa posted:

My TV does have huge input lag, but that's not it since I used the gamepad. I played some more of it and I still don't like the feel. I think I know what it might be that's bothering me though. The camera. For some reason, my mind can't comprehend the way it follows Mario around. It almost makes me nauseous. It reminds me of classic Sonic games, which I can't play ether because of the camera.

Also, I want to let everyone know that I don't hate the game at all. I :swoon:LOVE:swoon: the music and sounds and graphics and all that jazz, I'm just kind of disappointed that I can't play it correctly because of how weird it feels to me. Hope everyone understands :).

You can use L and R to pan left and right to some extent if you want to adjust it.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Sega's final (for now) 3D Classics-style remake has been revealed: Altered Beast!

http://archives.sega.jp/3d/juouki/index.html

Way to end on a low note, Sega.
Hey, some of us like Altered Beast even though it's not really that great of a game (although I wouldn't pay more than a few bucks for the 3DS version). :shobon:

I dunno why they chose the Genesis/Mega Drive version of the game, though, since the arcade version is better in nearly every way. It even had a better ending.

Arcade
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzJZ2f-MFvU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of May 23):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes - €49.99 / £39.99
    Resident Evil Revelations - €49.99 / £39.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Kirby's Dream Course (SNES) - €7.99 / £5.49
    Kirby Super Star (SNES) - €7.99 / £5.49
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    30% off Kirby Super Star/Dream Course if you own Kirby's Adventure! (Wii U VC) - ends May 30
    BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (Wii U eShop) - €8.99 / £8.00 until May 30
    Super Metroid (SNES VC Trial Campaign) - €0.30 / £0.30 until June 14

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (May 24) - €39.99 / £34.99
    Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars - €19.99 / £17.99
    Project X Zone (demo - "A Lethal Surprise")
    Rabbids Rumble (demo)
3DS eSHOP
    Swords & Soldiers 3D - €7.00 / £5.90
    Air Battle Hockey 3D - €4.99 / £4.49
    Groove Heaven - €3.99 / £3.59
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    Fire Emblem Awakening DLC
  • Infinite Regalia (Eldigan/Silver Card/rare items, difficulty ****) - €2.49 / £2.29
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    The Denpa Men: They Came By Wave (3DS eShop) - 20% off until May 30
    Aero Porter (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.69 until May 30
    Crimson Shroud (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until May 30
    Liberation Maiden (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until May 30
    Planet Crashers (3DS eShop) - €6.99 / £6.29 until May 30

NA update (week of May 23):

quote:

WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Kirby's Dream Course (SNES) - $7.99
    Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SNES) - $7.99
    Kirby Super Star (SNES) - $7.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Buy two SNES Kirby games, get the third free! (Wii U VC) - ends May 30
    BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (Wii U eShop) - 25% off until May 30
    Super Metroid (Wii U VC Trial Campaign) - $0.30 until June 14[/i]

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (May 24) - $34.99
    NARUTO Powerful Shippunden - $?
3DS eSHOP
    Groove Heaven - $3.99
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    Fire Emblem Awakening DLC
  • Future Past 3 ("glimpse into the future", difficulty *****) - $3.00
  • Apotheosis (Katarina/Supreme Emblem, difficulty MAX) - $2.50
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    The Denpa Men: They Came By Wave (3DS eShop) - 20% off until May 30
    Aero Porter (3DS eShop) - $2.99 until May 30
    Crimson Shroud (3DS eShop) - $4.99 until May 30
    Liberation Maiden (3DS eShop) - $4.99 until May 30

No idea why NA and PAL-land are getting different Kirby deals - surely they know they're gonna get bitched at, on way or another - but they're both decent, so whatever. All the eligible games are worth getting, too.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 24, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wonder since I have two of those on the Wii if I'll be able to 1.50 upgrade them and get Kirby 3 for free.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

greatn posted:

I wonder since I have two of those on the Wii if I'll be able to 1.50 upgrade them and get Kirby 3 for free.

There's no shopping cart on the eshop (right?) so that'll probably look the same to them.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

greatn posted:

Last week's SMW/SMB2 offer did, so I'm sure this one will too.

Either way, NOA now has a page on their site that lists the current deals, so you can just wait for 'em to refresh with the Kirby deal before you try it out, I suppose:

http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/downloads/virtual-console/deals

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
You know what, for as bad as the VC launch was, if they keep up this thing where they do a themed week with a deal and then a standalone release or two between them (sometimes with their own deal, a la SMB2), I think the Wii U VC is going to be alright.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Neat. And next week the Zelda Oracle games are getting released, right? Can't wait! :neckbeard:

I have a question about them though. I was planning on playing them with my husband. I start one, he starts the other, and we swap passwords at the end. But I'm not sure which one each of us should start with.

He's never played either Oracle game, and he likes the classic 2D style Zelda games. His favorites are Link's Awakening and Minnish Cap.

I played both Oracle games years ago, but never finished either of them, and I'm more accustomed to the modern 3D Zeldas.

I recall someone either here or in the 3DS thread said that one of the Oracle games is more similar to 3D Zeldas and the other is more like the old 2D ones. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Which one do you think we each should start with?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Man, I wish they had just put Kirby's Dream Course on the Wii collection. It seems pointless to get two games that were already on it (3 and Super Star) just to get it free. Great idea for anyone who doesn't have the Dream Collection though.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Silver Falcon posted:

Neat. And next week the Zelda Oracle games are getting released, right? Can't wait! :neckbeard:

I have a question about them though. I was planning on playing them with my husband. I start one, he starts the other, and we swap passwords at the end. But I'm not sure which one each of us should start with.

He's never played either Oracle game, and he likes the classic 2D style Zelda games. His favorites are Link's Awakening and Minnish Cap.

I played both Oracle games years ago, but never finished either of them, and I'm more accustomed to the modern 3D Zeldas.

I recall someone either here or in the 3DS thread said that one of the Oracle games is more similar to 3D Zeldas and the other is more like the old 2D ones. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Which one do you think we each should start with?

Ages is more focused on puzzles like a "modern" Zelda game, and Seasons is more focused on combat with incidental puzzles like Zelda, LttP, etc. Ages also has some really stupid mandatory minigames though.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Minidust posted:

Man, I wish they had just put Kirby's Dream Course on the Wii collection. It seems pointless to get two games that were already on it (3 and Super Star) just to get it free. Great idea for anyone who doesn't have the Dream Collection though.
Or you could just buy Dream Course by itself if you already have the Dream Collection :crossarms:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

PAL update (week of May 23):

NA update (week of May 23):

No idea why NA and PAL-land are getting different Kirby deals - surely they know they're gonna get bitched at, on way or another - but they're both decent, so whatever. All the eligible games are worth getting, too.

I'm guessing NA Fire Emblem is getting Future Past 3 today, but they've stopped listing the DLC on the NA press release so I could be wrong.

I just checked my Fire Emblem DLC. Yep. We got Future Past 3, and also a new map called Apotheosis. It's a standalone map for 2.50, difficulty- Insane.

Is that the oft-talked about "hardest DLC"?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Artix posted:

You know what, for as bad as the VC launch was, if they keep up this thing where they do a themed week with a deal and then a standalone release or two between them (sometimes with their own deal, a la SMB2), I think the Wii U VC is going to be alright.

Yeah same, I was really worried after Week 2 but if they keep doing these theme/discount releases and such this may not be so bad.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Artix posted:

Remember that the 3DS didn't even launch with its eShop and now it's looking pretty ok. The WiiU VC will be fine, given time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

As far as I'm concerned, if the VC has at least one game worth getting each week, then that's fine. So far so good!