Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Propaganda Bob posted:

Picked up a new toy/beater/ongoing project:

1985 Fox Body Mustang

Livin the dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Propaganda Bob posted:

1985 Fox Body Mustang

gently caress yeah.

Betacord
Mar 24, 2013

7 DAYS / 1 PROGRAM
In response to the lack of Alfas, I might as well post this up.

It's a '99 156 2.5 V6 "De Luxe", I've owned it over a year now. It's not my only car, but it is my everyday driver and the newest thing I've ever had. Only thing I've ever had with 6 forward gears too. Interior is tobacco tan leather which looks pretty obnoxious.

The engine is still the old Busso V6 from 1979, but by now it's twin cam, 24-valve and fuel injected. Sounds great, but it likes having the oil topped up fairly regularly. The manual actually says oil usage of up to 1 litre per 1000 miles is normal, which is pretty astounding. Mine is nowhere as bad, fortunately. Besides that I'm finding it pretty good, quite economical too (taken in context).

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Gern Blandsten posted:

I bought a new car:

This is the first car I have purchased on my own and titled in my name. :italy:

This thing is a loving blast to drive!

Nice! I've been looking around for an Alfetta GT, that might someday provide a new home for the mechanical bits of my 75 Turbo. When it comes to parts, its good to know that all the transaxle Alfas (Alfetta, Giulietta, GTV6, 75, 90, 1972-1992) are mechanically very similar and many of the parts are interchangeable. GTV6 is basically a coupe version of Milano.

HairyNipple!
Dec 31, 2004

hello i am fast cheap awesome

Propaganda Bob posted:

1985 Fox Body Mustang

Fuckin' radical, man.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Gern Blandsten posted:

I bought a new car:

This is the first car I have purchased on my own and titled in my name. :italy:

I'm jealous, let me live vicariously through you.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Crossposting from Subaru thread.

1998 STi Type-RA V-Limited

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.

Gern Blandsten posted:

I bought a new car:

Looks very clean. Where did you find it? PM if you ever need anything. I have one, and have owned some other transaxle Alfas and know way too much!

Edit: Missed your reply. Not a lot of Alfas on here!

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.

Augmented Dickey posted:

How horrible is it, exactly, to find parts for an old Alfa in the states?

I would say relatively horrible, and getting worse. There are some suppliers but some stuff is just gone, even from Europe. Parts cars get raided pretty quickly. I have a pretty good stock of the hard to find stuff I snipe off eBay.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

Gern Blandsten posted:

I bought a new car:

I've always lusted after these and their funky dash arrangement. Whenever I've been in a car buying position my searching only really turned up alfasuds and 33s though

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Propaganda Bob posted:

1985 Fox Body Mustang

Nice! My first car was an 85 Capri RS with the 10000 lbs hatch. All I bought was gas, oil, and tires.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

ThirstyBuck posted:

Nice! My first car was an 85 Capri RS with the 10000 lbs hatch. All I bought was gas, oil, and tires.

Same but 85 LX V6 that I swapped an 8.8 into and it never ran because I bought it as a rolling chassis when I was 15 and didn't have a dad or know anything about cars. Hatch was only 9800lbs due to rust.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I learned how to drive on my dad's '88 5.0 LX. I wasn't even really into cars then outside of having Countach posters all over my bedroom, I just thought that's what non-supercars felt like to drive. Then when I got home from school one day to find my mom had made him sell it and gotten a used Camry because she didn't want me driving something without airbags, I realized what a "horsepower" was.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

davebo posted:

I learned how to drive on my dad's '88 5.0 LX. I wasn't even really into cars then outside of having Countach posters all over my bedroom, I just thought that's what non-supercars felt like to drive. Then when I got home from school one day to find my mom had made him sell it and gotten a used Camry because she didn't want me driving something without airbags, I realized what a "horsepower" was.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Propaganda Bob posted:

1985 Fox Body Mustang

4-eye mustangs are the best Fox Bodies.

Hopefully build thread turns out better than the last yellow mustang we had around here..

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

MiniFoo posted:

I'm sorry for your loss.

Oh no worries, ten years after that I was able to get a used Corvette so everything worked out. 16 year olds probably shouldn't have V8's anyway. Although a few years later my sister totaled that Camry on the D.C. beltway so I guess you don't need a V8 to drive like an idiot.
Probably been here before but this is my aging fun car:

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Finally got it washed.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:negative: I want to be in it.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

I'm happy to take anyone that's around Seattle for a spin. It's a hell of a ride.

Dakotaboy88
Apr 28, 2007

Propaganda Bob posted:

1985 Fox Body Mustang

drat this car looks nice! Love the color and the way it sets. Very mean looking.

To contribute, here's my '99 Cobra with mild mods. Vortech V2 on stock engine, H&R race springs and supporting suspension mods, and some subtle visual mods.

Edit: Comrade Flynn, that GT-R is amazing! Wish I was close, I'd take you up on a ride.

Dakotaboy88 fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 22, 2013

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
So clean, and probably a perfect amount of power. I looked up KBB prices for 2001s and my head just about exploded. 52k miles good condition? $18,000. :psyduck:

Who has $18,000 and buys a 2001 cobra? You can practically buy a new v6 mustang with a 6 speed for that price (better handling, better fuel economy.. just no v8 sound and no IRS but still).

I remember shopping them 2 years ago and not sure what happened to the kbb, i saw nice examples for $12-$13k all the time.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
I still see them for that here in FL for 99/01 Cobras

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I wonder how much my dad's friend's 2001 Saleen Mustang is worth. It has like 8,000 miles on it.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Just bought it last week, can't stop driving it.

('13 Ford Focus ST)

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Dakotaboy88 posted:

drat this car looks nice! Love the color and the way it sets. Very mean looking.

To contribute, here's my '99 Cobra with mild mods. Vortech V2 on stock engine, H&R race springs and supporting suspension mods, and some subtle visual mods.

I really like those wheels on that Mustang.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Decided to get something more practical to haul the kids around in, and actually get driven so I traded the Shelby in last night. I was sad to see it go but here's its replacement.
2008 M3 sedan, silverstone metallic, fox red leather, 6MT, navigation.

And in its new home. This shows how blue the color really is.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
God drat I love that interior!

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

I would love to hear a comparison between your shelby ('12, right?) and this...

SpellEdge
Sep 14, 2007
Atk:13 Add: Don't Act

and you have a drz400sm which is awesome. I loved mine for the three weeks I had it before it was stolen.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Oh man did not expect that :-/

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
You know you're doing something right when "more practical" means an M3.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

There is basically no comparing this and the ('11) Shelby. In the Shelby if I mashed the loud pedal all hell would break loose along with the rear end. It had so much down-low torque that the tires were easily (and often) overwhelmed. The M3 is much less torquey and easier to control but it keeps pulling hard to redline (8500rpm!!!). I drove 100mi each way to get the M3 yesterday and both are awesome highway cruisers that just eat up miles but the M has a better suspension for around town, because of the IRS. So far I am still getting used to the completely different power delivery/handling/clutch/everything but it should be a pretty competent car. The Shelby also got a lot more head-turns, but what car with red stripes and snake emblems doesn't? I am also planning on getting rid of my Integra to get down to just two cars (TSX and M3) and I will be using the M3 as a daily with a set of winter wheels/tires when the white stuff looms.

The Big Jesus posted:

You know you're doing something right when "more practical" means an M3.

Four doors bla bla bla. Wife supports it. 'Nuff Said.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 22, 2013

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Bought it yesterday, drove it for the first time today. First time with a stick, too. Not the easiest to learn on I imagine but its pretty darn fun.

04 GT

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

To be honest, wouldn't learning how to drive a manual transmission be easier on a big, torquey engine?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

MiniFoo posted:

To be honest, wouldn't learning how to drive a manual transmission be easier on a big, torquey engine?

I learned on an '02 GT. The big torquey engine makes you hesitate too much with the throttle which causes you to buck and stall. With a weaker engine you can mash the pedal and not really be surprised by the sound and acceleration.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Jealous Cow posted:

I learned on an '02 GT. The big torquey engine makes you hesitate too much with the throttle which causes you to buck and stall. With a weaker engine you can mash the pedal and not really be surprised by the sound and acceleration.
Ha, thats exactly what I was doing!

Dakotaboy88
Apr 28, 2007

coolskillrex remix posted:

So clean, and probably a perfect amount of power. I looked up KBB prices for 2001s and my head just about exploded. 52k miles good condition? $18,000. :psyduck:

Who has $18,000 and buys a 2001 cobra? You can practically buy a new v6 mustang with a 6 speed for that price (better handling, better fuel economy.. just no v8 sound and no IRS but still).

I remember shopping them 2 years ago and not sure what happened to the kbb, i saw nice examples for $12-$13k all the time.
$18,000 seems way overpriced for an 01' Cobra. Should be more like 8-13k depending on mileage and condition. For 18k you can get a fairly decent 03' or 04' with the factory forged and supercharged engine, 6 speed, and beefier IRS.

MiniFoo posted:

I really like those wheels on that Mustang.
Thanks man, much appreciated.

Cage posted:

Bought it yesterday, drove it for the first time today. First time with a stick, too. Not the easiest to learn on I imagine but its pretty darn fun.

04 GT
Nice buy! Be forwared though, they are fun and easy to mod. It will constantly ask nicely for you to spend money on new parts to make it prettier or go faster :)

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

Comrade Flynn posted:

I'm happy to take anyone that's around Seattle for a spin. It's a hell of a ride.

Can I take you up on that some time? :siren:My girlfriend:siren: broke her hand and cut her foot open the other day so I'm taking her to class in Seattle from 5ish to 8ish for the next few days and I have nothing to do.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Dakotaboy88 posted:

For 18k you can get a fairly decent 03' or 04' with the factory forged and supercharged engine, 6 speed, and beefier IRS.
I'm assuming that was a Freudian slip? Regardless I like your ride! Ever since a previous boss had a stable of mustangs (2 SN95 Saleens and 08 Shelby GT500) I've been enamored with the mod 4.6, just boost the bejesus out of them and hang on!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

Ask me about my torrid love affair with Geico :ese:
Here's my Daily. Simple 4 switch/8 valve air suspension with electric back up and engine driven compressor (No computer controlled ride height, all old-school), 100 spoke 14x7 reverse wires, and the original 283/Powerglide was swapped for a new crate 305/rebuilt TH350 with all original manifolds/carb (Rebuilt). Has not left me stranded once to date Been daily-ing it for about a year now...