Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperGinger!
Sep 29, 2007
my hair burns with the fire of a thousand suns

Kerfuffle posted:

Is there a reason you're waiting until your period? Because you can start Nuvaring at any time, just wait 1 full week for the hormones to kick into your system entirely and you're good to go.

My gyno told me to wait, just to make sure I'm not pregnant and prevent any potential child from defects

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Uhh your Gyno is totally wrong. The hormones present don't cause birth defects. I think you may want to find a different one in the future. She also told you not to use tampons with it. I mean... Are you sure she is a real gyno?

Maybe you walked into one of the fake christian clinics that set themselves up across from planned parenthood.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 13, 2013

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

Yeah, when I got the Mirena implanted, they were like, "We know you're not pregnant but we're supposed to do a urine pregnancy test anyway before we put this in." So that took like five minutes and then we were good to go. Seems like they could just do that for you there, or if they're just way too busy for that, tell you to take a home pregnancy test or something.

e: Not that Mirena and Nuvaring are even the same thing since Mirena actually goes in the uterus, but you know, if they think the pregnancy thing is an issue.

Tigntink posted:

Maybe you walked into one of the fake christian clinics that set themselves up across from planned parenthood.

I volunteer at a women's clinic and the protestors run a fake clinic out of a mobile home with a giant picture of an aborted fetus taped to it. I hope no one asks them for advice about birth control.

MK-Ultramarathon fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 13, 2013

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

ExpletiveDeleted posted:

I volunteer at a women's clinic and the protestors run a fake clinic out of a mobile home with a giant picture of an aborted fetus taped to it. I hope no one asks them for advice about birth control.

The ones around the northwest try to be subtle. We have better sex ed than most areas.

Squidtamer DA
Jun 3, 2007
Squirts ink when provoked
So after taking Tri-Sprintec for 5 years without any issues, my doctor just randomly switched me to Tri-Privifem, which is apparently another generic brand. I think I took it once before when the pharmacy ran out and it was fine, but I'll be fine, right? I mean, they both have the same active ingredients. I've never switched birth controls before so I'm stupidly paranoid I'll suddenly get migraines and become a crazy bitch. :ohdear:

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Thought I should add to the IUD string discussion even though I'm a bit late.

My strings were actually never cut particularly short. My uterus just seems to like eating IUD strings. With the second Mirena the doc specifically left the strings long, but they had still disappeared by a year in to having it. So I can't provide much insight on what it's like having them cut short, only on how removal goes when they aren't accessible.

There are two "easy" ways to remove an IUD with missing strings. The first is for them to use a little mascara brush type tool to coax the strings out of the cervix if they are there but just not obvious. The second is to use an IUD hook inserted through the cervix to grab the loop at the end of the IUD. The thing to remember is that while, yes, sometimes they can just find the strings with the brush or grab the IUD with an IUD hook, this doesn't always work. It did not work either time with my Mirenas. Both times they had to go to using this long, hemostat-like device to grab it. This was VERY painful without my cervix numb and still not a ton of fun even with it numb. Having it done without my cervix numb was worse than most of my labor pain. Sometimes even that doesn't work. In that case they have to sedate you or knock you out and do a hysteroscopy to find and remove the IUD. We got very close to this with my second removal but he was able to find and grab the IUD on his last attempt.

My advice would be to be really sure it's worth it before you get the strings cut short enough that a normal removal procedure won't be possible. It's not necessarily a trivial thing to do a removal without the strings. In particular, be sure you've considered whether you'll be stuck paying for the removal procedure, especially if it ends up involving something like a hysteroscopy.

If you do decide it's worth it to get them cut that short, I'd keep track of the length of your strings for a month or so prior to getting them cut and schedule your appointment for a time when they are as long as possible. That way they will be hidden for most of the time, and you run the least risk of cutting them just short enough for them to poke your partner even more.

saulwright
Jan 12, 2005
I hate to selfishly pop in here with a potentially paranoid, uber specific question, but here I go:

My partner takes Ortho Tri-Cyclen (incredibly responsibly I might add) but, are we protected during the portion of her placebo week prior to her 'period?'

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

Squidtamer DA posted:

So after taking Tri-Sprintec for 5 years without any issues, my doctor just randomly switched me to Tri-Privifem, which is apparently another generic brand. I think I took it once before when the pharmacy ran out and it was fine, but I'll be fine, right? I mean, they both have the same active ingredients. I've never switched birth controls before so I'm stupidly paranoid I'll suddenly get migraines and become a crazy bitch. :ohdear:

Was this a refill prescription or did your doctor actively write on an Rx blank Tri-Previfem? If it's a refill, then the pharmacy switched you. If your doctor wrote Ortho Tri-Cyclen and allowed substitution, then the pharmacy's system automatically picked the preferred generic drug, which for some reason switched to Tri-Previfem in my pharmacy chain. Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Tri-Sprintec, TriNessa, and Tri-Previfem are all the same drug. Your pharmacy can change you back to Tri-Sprintec if you want, though. They just have to make sure to order it or keep it in stock.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

saulwright posted:

I hate to selfishly pop in here with a potentially paranoid, uber specific question, but here I go:

My partner takes Ortho Tri-Cyclen (incredibly responsibly I might add) but, are we protected during the portion of her placebo week prior to her 'period?'

Yes.

e: For some extra authority to reassure you, from their website:

http://www.thepill.com/thepill-faq

quote:

Am I protected from getting pregnant during "inactive" pills?

Yes. As long as you have taken your pills correctly (at the same time, every day), you are still protected from unplanned pregnancies even when you are taking the placebo pills—the green "inactive" pills—in the fourth week of your ORTHO TRI-CYCLEN® LO pack.

The 28-pill pack contains 21 "active" pills (7 white, 7 light blue, and 7 dark blue; all with hormones) to take for 3 weeks. This is followed by 1 week of "inactive" pills (7 green; all without hormones).

Kerfuffle fucked around with this message at 10:27 on May 13, 2013

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

saulwright posted:

You're protected continuously as long as she's taking the pills as directed. I took Ortho Tri-Cyclen for almost 4 years without so much as a pregnancy scare. :)

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Squidtamer DA posted:

You'll be fine.

Squidtamer DA
Jun 3, 2007
Squirts ink when provoked

kdc67 posted:

Was this a refill prescription or did your doctor actively write on an Rx blank Tri-Previfem? If it's a refill, then the pharmacy switched you. If your doctor wrote Ortho Tri-Cyclen and allowed substitution, then the pharmacy's system automatically picked the preferred generic drug, which for some reason switched to Tri-Previfem in my pharmacy chain. Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Tri-Sprintec, TriNessa, and Tri-Previfem are all the same drug. Your pharmacy can change you back to Tri-Sprintec if you want, though. They just have to make sure to order it or keep it in stock.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

You'll be fine.

Now that I've gotten a decent amount of sleep for the first time in days, I feel pretty silly about worrying. Thanks guys!

And drat is the packaging on this really cheap.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
Sometimes, there's a clog in the pipelines.
Well, I went to the gyno this morning to talk about trying the Mirena again, and walked out with one placed! :D Cervix sounded just fine, and everything was done in about 15 minutes. The worst part was the numbing shot, but considering the pain he last time I attempted to get an IUD, it was worth it. Curled up with my heating pad until I have to work later on today. Just wanted to tell everyone thanks. I'm glad that I went with my gut and got a second opinion. Pretty sure I'm going to keep going to this doctor for anything reproductive related from now on.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
Woot!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

I'm glad it went well for you this time! It's cool you got it done so quickly. I think the worst part of getting my IUD was sitting around for a month between appointments worrying and freaking out about what it was going to be like.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

Kimmalah posted:

I think the worst part of getting my IUD was sitting around for a month between appointments worrying and freaking out about what it was going to be like.

This. Lordy this.

And reading all the bad poo poo on the internet.

And convincing myself that it actually wasn't as effective as it was.

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
Where... where do they inject you for an IUD numbing shot?

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
The cervix I presume. I didn't get an injection. But I did get some Hurricaine spray straight to the cervix.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Geolicious posted:

This. Lordy this.

And reading all the bad poo poo on the internet.

And convincing myself that it actually wasn't as effective as it was.

Oh yeah. I used to find such a mix of stuff on the internet that some days I was fine with it and other days I was scared to death. I distinctly remember reading some post on another board from someone who was like "I took vicodin after my insertion and was still in so much pain all I could do was roll around on my bed and cry." Not very reassuring. :stare:

And I still have times I freak myself out about effectiveness! But I'm a worrier by nature.

Tshirt Ninja posted:

Where... where do they inject you for an IUD numbing shot?

There's different areas depending on what kind of numbing they want to do, but it's generally either in or near the cervix itself. I found this article with a handy diagram of the different possibilities for anesthesia ( :nws: if your job has a problem with uterus diagrams).

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007

Geolicious posted:

The cervix I presume. I didn't get an injection. But I did get some Hurricaine spray straight to the cervix.

Yep! Got the shot, waited a couple of minutes and was then sounded. I was surprised at the quick turnaround too. But they had them in stock, and she was extremely experienced in placing them. A drat good thing too--turns out my uterus is retroverted.

ekoh
Aug 29, 2008

ekoh posted:

Is it possible to get IUD strings cut so short they are pretty much gone? I think I would need my strings cut so short that the ends get sucked back into my cervix for my partner to be happy. I'm aware removal could be pretty brutal but isn't it going to be unpleasant anyway?

UPDATE: I got my strings cut so short that the ends are tucked up inside of my cervix and we can't feel them! The doctor wasn't concerned about removal at all! She showed me the instruments that would be used and explained the procedure. Yes, it's going to hurt more than a "just pull on the strings" removal. She said it should feel more like the insertion, which I can deal with! Whew! I'm happy my vagina feels normal now.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
I guess I have a follow up question now. Did anyone else have crazy bad cramps a couple of days after IUD insertion? Generally I can handle period cramps, but I had to call into work for these. I checked my strings, everything seems to still be in place and I'm not really bleeding at all. Hoping that this goes away in a couple of hours. I did go to the gym yesterday and lift, so I wonder if I just overdid it.

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010

NewsGunkie posted:

I guess I have a follow up question now. Did anyone else have crazy bad cramps a couple of days after IUD insertion? Generally I can handle period cramps, but I had to call into work for these. I checked my strings, everything seems to still be in place and I'm not really bleeding at all. Hoping that this goes away in a couple of hours. I did go to the gym yesterday and lift, so I wonder if I just overdid it.

Mine were off and on for about a week afterward, yes. But if you hit the ? under my name you'll see that I had a bad reaction to that stuff they had me stuff up there the night before that set off crazy barf-causing hideously painful cramping so compared to that the stuff after insertion was a breeze. You should be fine, they'll keep getting less and less painful and more "why aren't you done yet" annoying before finally vanishing :)

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

NewsGunkie posted:

I really only had regular cramping for the rest o the day after insertion, so I didn't really have anything like that. I did occasionally get random cramps out of the blue that would last anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes. Usually just enough to kind of make me stop and go "ow" until it went away. It's possible going to gym may have set it off, I know I always seemed to get mine when I was moving/bending a lot. But it could also be coincidence, I don't know.

I still get the occasional random cramp or two, but now it's more like once or twice a month instead.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I had my nuvaring put in the middle of my period and now I'm on that same period three weeks later. :cry: Ordinarily my period would have started roughly a week from now. Is all that jumbled up now from the hormones? I'm seriously considering taking this loving thing out if I don't stop bleeding. This is loving ridiculous. But if I'm just gonna be on the rag again a week later I might as well stick with it.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Hey, guys, potentially another stupid question coming your way... So, I couldn't find this month's pack, and, being stupidly busy with finals, I decided to take a month off. I had asked earlier if there would be anything serious to happen, and people mostly said I might re-experience symptoms when I go back on the pill. Does anyone know if I can experience symptoms off the pill...? My ankles have been swelling lately, and I started exercising last week really hard, so I thought there might be some correlation there. Looking into edema, it can also be caused by high estrogen levels (such as when you're on the pill)--is it possible coming off the pill caused a surge in estrogen? I'm giving the swelling a few days before I go in (it goes away every night), but I thought I'd try and figure out if I should be worried in the meantime. If it helps, I was on Reclipson.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Your body can freak out a bit coming off hormones yeah. If that swelling isn't going away see a doctor asap

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

It's hard to say right off if the swelling is related, but you can definitely have all kinds of side-effects as a result of stopping the hormones in the pill and your ovaries basically "waking up"/making their own hormones again. When I stopped taking the pill I had acne, big mood swings, a big resurgence in libido, etc. for probably 2-3 weeks before everything evened out. Basically I felt like a crazy teenager again for a while because I had all these new hormone levels and fluctuations I hadn't had in a long time.

Also, generally for a woman of reproductive age the estrogen levels in birth control pills are actually a lot lower than what the body produces naturally. Estrogen naturally peaks near the middle of the menstrual cycle and helps trigger ovulation, which is prevented by the synthetic hormone levels in the pill. So if anything, you would be experiencing a real surge of estrogen (and possibly progesterone too, I'm not as clear on how that compares to natural levels).

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Kerfuffle posted:

Your body can freak out a bit coming off hormones yeah. If that swelling isn't going away see a doctor asap

How many days would you give it?

It's also the week before my period is supposed to start, if anyone thinks that might make a difference in terms of the swelling potentially being caused by estrogen levels...

Edit: whatever it is causing the swelling, my ankles are drastically less swollen today, which is a relief! I was waiting til towards the end of the day to access them to make sure the swelling wasn't just down because I had just gotten up. Thanks, everyone, for your answers on the matter! :)

Niemat fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 18, 2013

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Niemat posted:

How many days would you give it?

It's also the week before my period is supposed to start, if anyone thinks that might make a difference in terms of the swelling potentially being caused by estrogen levels...

Edit: whatever it is causing the swelling, my ankles are drastically less swollen today, which is a relief! I was waiting til towards the end of the day to access them to make sure the swelling wasn't just down because I had just gotten up. Thanks, everyone, for your answers on the matter! :)

Late response sorry. :( I was going to say if hadn't improved over a week, make an appointment, and if it got noticeably worse then go see someone immediately. Swelling on joints can be caused by a number of things, some troubling, so it's really just a safe than sorry kind of thing. If it were me mention it next time you're at a yearly appointment or something.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
This post may seem a bit paranoid, but I wanted a more educated opinion. Earlier today, I put Neosporin on the area between my groin and thighs because I had some chaffing issues. About 3 hours later, me and my girlfriend had sex with a latex condom. I didn't see and tears or anything, and she used spermacide before hand, but I wanted to know if this could be a potential concern. Thanks in advance!

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Hiro Protagonist posted:

This post may seem a bit paranoid, but I wanted a more educated opinion. Earlier today, I put Neosporin on the area between my groin and thighs because I had some chaffing issues. About 3 hours later, me and my girlfriend had sex with a latex condom. I didn't see and tears or anything, and she used spermacide before hand, but I wanted to know if this could be a potential concern. Thanks in advance!

What is the question? If the neosporin in between your thighs ruined the condom protection somehow? If so, no. Also your girlfriend really shouldn't be using spermicide, it's really not good for vaginal health at all and can easily cause yeast infections. I don't even think the additional pregnancy protection it offers is isn't all that substantial.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Thanks, I guess I was worried that the Neosporin's oil-base could break down the latex of the condom? Or something.Looking back, it seems ridiculous, but I don't have much experience with latex condoms, and all I hear is how oil breaks them down, so I just quickly posted here when I thought of it. I'll also pass the info on spermicide to my girlfriend.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Nah it's only an issue if something oil based is used as a lubricant. For what it's worth, look into the cream-type neosporin. It just absorbs and dries so you don't have to have goopy neosporin rubbing on your clothes.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Alternatively, just swipe down there with your deodorant in the morning after you shower.

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

fork bomb posted:

Alternatively, just swipe down there with your deodorant in the morning after you shower.

Also a good trick to use for if you shave your ladyparts for the first time in awhile to avoid those little red bumps. :science:

Hello again baby bannin' thread! Once upon a time at the beginning of this thread I was chiming in about my experience with the Paraguard. That went... not okay for me and I had it removed. (guess who has a sensitivity to copper?)
A year and a half later I'm rockin' a new Mirena. My reproductive system decided to go into eject mode for 3 months straight and my hemoglobin went waaay down. This little number has stopped that and I'm baby free for 5 years. Woot!

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
Checking in a week later, and other than the random cramping, the Mirena is going well so far. In the middle of my first period, which has been crampier than normal, but nothing too crazy. The strings were left a bit too long, but those will get trimmed up in June.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
edit: Dumb question.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 06:28 on May 22, 2013

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

I have to get my IUD removed a year early. Really not looking forward to it :( and now I have to figure out a form of contraception that my body doesn't hate. Help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

The Schwa posted:

I have to get my IUD removed a year early. Really not looking forward to it :( and now I have to figure out a form of contraception that my body doesn't hate. Help.

What kind of IUD is it and what other kinds of contraception have you tried? That might help us make suggestions (if that's what you're looking for).

• Locked thread