Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A_Bluenoser
Jan 13, 2008
...oh where could that fish be?...
Nap Ghost
Oath Complete!

Some close-up images. Sorry for the poor quality, I have a five-year old point-and-shoot camera with no manual settings so I used the macro mode.

A bonus photo of them with the rest of their unit (the oathed minis are second base from the left).

There are 96 6mm figures in the unit and they represent a battalion of 600-800 men. I need three to four battalions of infantry plus some cavalry and artillery to have any sort of interesting game so still a long way to go!

In addition to the oath I hope to qualify for Themed Unit (British Napoleonic 1808-1812), Da Detectuvs Jurnal and Parts List.

Da Detctuvs Jurnal and parts list

Pretty much all the paints I use are things I had lying around from painting 40k about six years back and what I could get at the local hobby shop. The Vallajo paints are the only ones I ordered in.

Priming

I superglue the minis to a wooden batten for painting. I prime white and then use a brown wash to fill in the details and provide shadows.

Superglue
Wooden Batten
Armoury White Primer
GW Chestnut Ink

Basecoat

I paint the faces light flesh; the coats red; the trousers dark gray; the hats, shoes, greatcoat roll and cartridge boxes black; the packs dark brown.

GW Elf Flesh
GW Blood Red
Testors Model Master Acrylic (TMMA) Engine Gray
GW Chaos Black
TMMA Burnt Sienna

Highlights and Details

I paint all the belts white and the greatcoat roll on the top of the packs light gray. I also use light gray to highlight the trousers and hats. The hat badge is gold and the cuff turnbacks are light blue (this will be different for each battalion). The plumes are red with a white tip (this the same for all British centre companies). The gunstocks are light brown and the barrels and bayonets are silver.

TMMA Flat White
TMMA Neutral Gray
GW Burnished Gold
VMC Andrea Blue
VMC Light Brown
GW Chainmail

Basing

I use 1mm sheet styrene for the bases and I attach the minis using five-minute epoxy. I paint the bases dark brown and the glue on fine light brown ballast using standard white glue. To bring out the texture I drybrush the ballast with a bit of buff paint and then paint the edges light brown. Finally I add a bit of flock. I then varnish the models using a gloss coat followed by a dull coat.

1mm Sheet Styrene
Five-minute Epoxy
TMMA Burnt Sienna
White (PVA) Glue
Woodland Scenics fine brown ballast
VMC Buff
VMC Light Brown
Woodland Scenics fine turf (weeds)
Testors Gloss Coat
Testors Dull Coat

I think that's everything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Well, those guys are pretty tiny.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
They look incredible when you have armies of them with well modelled terrain though.

Can I get my Oath addition approved? I want to finish them before the weekend and spend a day cobbling together the best photo set up I can do.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Thundercloud posted:

Can I get my Oath addition approved? I want to finish them before the weekend and spend a day cobbling together the best photo set up I can do.
Check if you're on the spreadsheet, it's usually faster than the "approved" post. VVV: Welp I'll just shut up then

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 21, 2013

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Companion Cube posted:

Congratulations on your Space Hulk purchase! That whole set is beautiful, both the Terminators and the Genestealers. I'm looking forward to seeing how yours turn out.

Thanks, looking forward to it! I'll try to make them worth the battles with the ebay snipers.

Here's my first Detektuv's Jurnal WIP:

I started with Vallejo Air black primer, zenithal-dusted with grey primer and drybrushed with GW Longbeard Grey Dry paint on the high points for a slight pre-highlight. Then I airbrushed a Mechrite Red basecoat and under-sprayed with Minitaire Purple Ghost Tint for that high-contrast look. It's more visible on the head and flamer, which are shown with the bottoms facing the camera. (Ghost Tints, as it turns out, dry incredibly shiny if you use too much. Don't be like me.)

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Weirdo posted:

Awwww, it's a baby! First oath ever, and I'm planning on doing the Detektuv's Jurnal.

Also I forgot to mention that I'll be trying for the Box Art objective as well, sorry for that!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pierzak posted:

Check if you're on the spreadsheet, it's usually faster than the "approved" post.

Oaths, and oath additions, are not official until sole.sushi does the approved post. I do enter things onto the spreadsheet, but I don't give points credit for the approved oath until he posts. And an oath addition does not involve more points, so I add a link but it's still up to sushi to officially approve.

It is still a good idea to check your entries in the spreadsheet just to be sure I accurately recorded everything, though.

A_Bluenoser
Jan 13, 2008
...oh where could that fish be?...
Nap Ghost

Thundercloud posted:

They look incredible when you have armies of them with well modelled terrain though.

That's the idea! And since you can get over a thousand of these guys for $100 or so you can start to field pretty impressive armies quite cheaply. It means that your games start to look more like the Battle of Jena as fought by Napoleon, not the battle of Jena as re-enacted by the local Napoleonic enthusiasts club.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Oh yeah. This thread. I guess i better get an entry in and paint some poo poo.

A problem i have is a bunch of my mechs are sourced from other peoples 'im quitting' collections and so are painted like Duplo blocks and need stripping. And this probably violates the no more than one colour primer rule.

But gently caress it, im not chasing points.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Kommando posted:

Oh yeah. This thread. I guess i better get an entry in and paint some poo poo.

A problem i have is a bunch of my mechs are sourced from other peoples 'im quitting' collections and so are painted like Duplo blocks and need stripping. And this probably violates the no more than one colour primer rule.

But gently caress it, im not chasing points.

Strip and prime them before oathing if you are worried about it.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Stripping them would be a good idea anyway, as who knows how many uneven layers of paint there are on a 2nd hand miniature.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.
:siren: Oath complete! :siren: Also, Themed Group

Detektivs jurnal

These might look samey, but that's because they are. After I filled in all the base colours and did some highlights, I washed them and drybrushed the bases and that's it, then you have the finished pictures above.

Parts list

Raboesch plasticard used to make the planks on the bases.

Primed with LeFranc & Bourgeois Gesso.

Vallejo colours: Charred brown, Beasty brown, Leather brown, Khaki, Bone white, German grey, Cold grey, Ghost grey, Sun yellow, Parasite brown, Smokey ink, Gunmetal and Silver.

GW colours: Agrax earthshade, Badab black and Ogryn flesh

Buffalo squeeze fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 22, 2013

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Buffalo, would you like your dudes to be a Themed Group?

Just a reminder to everyone, if you paint up a group of guys, it's free to call them a Themed Group. You might win a thing! The minimum at 28mm scale is 5 models, so Buffalo squeeze here has a group large enough to qualify.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Is Sole Sushi ok? There've been a bunch of Oaths waiting to be approved for a couple of days but no approval post.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
I got a thing in the post today!

I told Backno that there was no hurry sending me my prize from the 2011 oath thread, and it really was worth the wait

Satisfyingly chunky terrain, and the factory paint-job's not bad either

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

Galaspar posted:

I got a thing in the post today!

I told Backno that there was no hurry sending me my prize from the 2011 oath thread, and it really was worth the wait

Satisfyingly chunky terrain, and the factory paint-job's not bad either

Which company makes these?

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Got a rules question which may have been answered previously. I think the answer is probably no, but if I'm making an Alternate Universe oath addition (this Soul Grinder is staring at me, demanding I start painting it) do I need to bother with pictures of my already completed oath since this isn't going to have an effect on my points total this month?

Also I wish I could call my Plague Toads a themed group. Stupid set of 3 large but still 28mm models...

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Oath Complete!

I would like this to be entered as a Themed Group

Original:

Detektuv's Jurnal: Suiting Up

I took a lot of pictures and figured I would post a lot of them:

Started just getting the metal basecoated

Then moved on to base coating the rest of the models

Here is one of my bases before I attached a guy to it

I changed one of the guys shirts color after deciding he needed a little more variety in his model's paint scheme.

Did some washes and highlighting and finished up a second model to go with the guy I speed painted.

Here are the rest of the infantry models with shading done.

The shields have holes in them and attach on metal bits, but leave little gaps, so i put in some green stuff to fill them, and then sanded it down.

Resulting in nice smooth shields. The last step was then to freehand the stripes onto the shields.

Here is a picture of the horse for my knight with the base coat on.

The Knight then comes together.

In the original oath image you may notice all the infantry guys have bases. I kept this for the guy I speed painted, but didn't really like it so i ended up cutting the bases off of the other ones. I also messed with the knight of the realm a little bit as I really don't like the look of the grass things they have connected to each foot of the horse. I ended up cutting all of those off and just super gluing on foot to the base and another foot to a "rock" I made out of some cork board. Overall I really like how it turned out.

Bonus Points:

Backstory

Having traveled to the Boarder Kingdoms to slay Greenskins, Sir Laudunet of Carcassonne found that he was spending far too much time waiting for something to happen. Each castle he came too had been experiencing a lull in attacks, with rumors of Greenskin movement nearby. And yet no matter how long he waited Sir Laudunet had yet to find himself a battle. If he waited at a castle for a month the Greenskins would attack half a week after he left. If he stayed in a castle for 3 months they would attack after three months and a day. Several times he had turned back toward a caste a day after leaving it, only to find the battle already fought and won by the time he returned. Amongst those that he traveled with he heard whispers of Sir Laudunet the Impacient amongst other jabs at his honor. Each day he prayed to find battle, and each day he missed another close at hand opportunity.

Strike A Pose

Sir Erec raised his sword in the air and gave a hell to alert his men. Seemingly out of nowhere a large group of Elves were approaching the tower. Seeing as they had not heard from their scouts for several days Sir Erec assumed the worst. While he only had a few men the tower would be provide cover from the archers taking up positions on the hills, and he could stop more than a few of the approaching Sword Masters from being able to fight at a time. Sir Erec's real fear was the lone wizard that appeared to be leading the opposing army. He sent a prayer to the lady and prepared for the battle he was sure would be his last.

I also plan to do the In Battle Bonus as soon as I get a game in.

Also:

Alternative Universe Oath Competed:

Original:

WIP:

I had done this before:

Pash posted:

I, Pash, have completed Speed Painting!

I might as well include Part's List:
1 Foundry Men at Arms
1 Gale Force 9 magnetic base
Base was does with medium and small grit and small grass patches from the Gale Force 9 "Summer Pasture" Basing Kit
Citadel Static Grass
Citadel Paints: Waaagh! Flesh, Kislev Flesh, Caledor Sky, Runefang Steel, Hashut Copper, Leadbelcher, Ceramite White, Mournfang Brown, Skrag Brown, Mephiston Red, Abaddon Black, Macagge Blue, 'ardcoat,
I also used a X-acto knife and the Citadel clippers
I used Floquil Silver Fox/Renard Argente Brushs

Since these were both done on the same model this means: Double the Fun!

Edit:

Took a picture of my game the other day to the the In Battle! bonus point.

Edit 2:
I decided the original pictures sucked and wanted to get some better ones. Some are still a little blurry, but I am working with a phone camera here... Here they are:

Pash fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 29, 2013

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Weirdo posted:

I, Weirdo, oath that I will paint these twenty Night Goblins for the month of May, made by Games Workshop Awwww, it's a baby!

IrvingWashington posted:

I, IrvingWashington, oath an additional 4 bases of 10mm Scourge infantry (5 dudes per base) from Hawk Wargames for my May oath.

Thundercloud posted:

I, Thundercloud. make an additional oath of 7 Klingon ships from the Starline 2500 line from Mongoose Publishing in 1/3125 scale, consisting of a C8 Dreadnought, a FD7 Fast Cruiser, a D6 Heavy Cruiser, a D5W New Heavy Cruiser, a D5 War Cruiser and 2 E4 Frigates.

Accepted.

Thundercloud posted:

Is Sole Sushi ok? There've been a bunch of Oaths waiting to be approved for a couple of days but no approval post.

I died several days ago. I've since gotten better.
If you're in doubt about getting stuff done, as in waiting for me to accept or kick out a photo, just go ahead and do it. Don't have to wait for me to approve anything to get it painted--that'd be insane.

EDIT: that goes for everyone, by the way; if you take the AP photo correctly, you won't see complaints from me, so get to workin', ya bunch of crazies.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

I'm under the impression one of the other thread regulars lives with you, and they could check if you'd had an 'accident'. Auto-erotic asphyxiation has claimed too many goons already.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Woah now, I don't go in for that. Not only is it morally wrong, but you get caught doing it once and it's kinda ruined for you for the rest of your life it's also dangerous.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Fuegan posted:

Hell yes new oath thread! Awesome OP krushgroove. Time to get stuck in!

I, Fuegan, oath to complete 3 Plague Toads from the Games Workshop range as my first oath!

Just read the OP and yes, I do need to include my original oath it seems (figured it's better to have this and not the finished one since that might screw up the searching for finished oaths?)

So I guess I, Fuegan, oath to complete this converted Soul Grinder in an Alternate Universe!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Fuegan posted:

Got a rules question which may have been answered previously. I think the answer is probably no, but if I'm making an Alternate Universe oath addition (this Soul Grinder is staring at me, demanding I start painting it) do I need to bother with pictures of my already completed oath since this isn't going to have an effect on my points total this month?

Also I wish I could call my Plague Toads a themed group. Stupid set of 3 large but still 28mm models...

You probably don't need to quote your original oath post, but just in case Leperflesh does need the reference, please go ahead and quote your post and do your Alternate Universe oath. The text in the Alt. Universe oath is probably a c&p leftover from the old-style oath addition - but no matter the quotes will probably help me keep track of Alternate Universe oaths when it comes to adding the completed pictures to the slideshow. There's a ton of slideshows to keep track of, so any help I get will be very...helpful.

I'll probably think of a better way to keep track in the near future, so if anything changes as far as the process of making additional oaths, I'll post an update in the thread.

e: well that's what I get for going back and forth to the OP and taking my time answering. But my line above stands - as far as I can see there's no real need to keep track of when Alternate Universe oaths are made, so I probably will change the quoting requirement soon.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Fuegan posted:

I, Fuegan, oath to complete this converted Soul Grinder in an Alternate Universe!

Accepted. Also, gross.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Alternate Universe oaths are tracked on their own sheet, so I don't need the regular oath quoted as long as you clearly indicate that it's an alternate universe oath. Krushgroove, I have a column that lists links to the oath and completed oath posts for alt universe, so you can use those to find the images for your slideshows.

I do have one issue, which hasn't come up yet but probably will: how do I track when someone does more than one alternate universe oath. Haven't quite figured that one out yet.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

If we qualified for a bonus that we forgot to mention, how do we go about claiming it? (I forgot to claim Double the Fun)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

If we qualified for a bonus that we forgot to mention, how do we go about claiming it? (I forgot to claim Double the Fun)

Please do all of the following:
  • Make a new post in the thread, calling my attention to the fact;
  • Link to your Oath Complete post in this new post;
  • edit your Oath Complete post with the claim in bold plus any supporting stuff that is needed.

Please do not edit your Oath Complete post after the monthly cutoff moment when all oaths are due.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.

Zhent posted:

So I understand that models need to be only basecoated or primed to qualify as starting oaths, but what if I've primed different parts of the same model white and black? So I need to prime it all black and then re-prime the wings of my model white again?

e: I'm going to oath something else this month so I get off on the right foot, having never oathed before.

I, Zhent, oath that I will paint these 2 Games Workshop Space Marine Attack Bikes as my first official Oath. Look, a Baby!

OATH COMPLETE

Finishing my first ever oath feels pretty good - Let me see what I can do to rack up some bonus points while I go here.

Detektuv's Jurnal

First shot. Bikes have been primed, bases have been soaked and scrubbed. Bases are from Dragonforge, one of the thread sponsors and I feel like I should keep mentioning that. I love his stuff, I have another 48 bases of this cobblestone pattern for the rest of my Ravenwing army and god knows how many for my Sons of Horus.

Second shot. Bikes are highlighted with grey and a 50/50 grey/white mix. Bases are primed black and airbrushed Minitaire Clay Red.

Third Shot. Bike bits have been painted, bases have been finished, and bikes are now attached to bases. From here to the complete shot there is some weathering of the tires, the headlights, and then some varnishing.

The Parts List:
Bases: Dragonforge Cobblestone Rubble bases. Painted with Minitaire Dark Leather, Red Clay, and Scorching Red. Alternating washes of Agrax Earthshade and Nuln Oil

Models: GW Attack Bikes. Primed with Vallejo Surface black primer. Highlights are Minitaire Charred Stone, Base Grey, and Dusty Ground. Reds are Minitaire Nebula Red. Greens are Minitaire Orc Complexion. Chrome is GW Leadbelcher, highlighted with GW Ironbreaker. Headlight is Minitaire Spellslinger Blue, Sky Blue, and Snow White. Also used are Secret Weapon weathering powders Rust Red and Rust Brown.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

Buffalo, would you like your dudes to be a Themed Group?

Just a reminder to everyone, if you paint up a group of guys, it's free to call them a Themed Group. You might win a thing! The minimum at 28mm scale is 5 models, so Buffalo squeeze here has a group large enough to qualify.

Is the Themed Group a one time thing or monthly?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Buffalo squeeze posted:

Is the Themed Group a one time thing or monthly?

Monthly entry to a bi-monthly prize draw.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
I was wondering - would a group of zombies be obviously themed enough to qualify for Themed Group, even if they were all dressed differently? My Zombicide bonus minis arrived 1-2 weeks back, and I was thinking about doing 5+ of the undead heroes as an entry next month.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

ineptmule posted:

Monthly entry to a bi-monthly prize draw.

Alright, then consider my May oath a Themed Group.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Leperflesh posted:

I do have one issue, which hasn't come up yet but probably will: how do I track when someone does more than one alternate universe oath. Haven't quite figured that one out yet.

I wouldn't worry about it - since only the completed Alternate Universe oaths count towards the random draw for those, and each person gets a single entry to the draw no matter how many times they do an AU oath, it's only necessary to keep track of one completed AU oath.

(I'll check the OP as soon as I type this to be sure)

e: yes, it's as I thought:
Alternate Universe Oath prize
Anyone who completes an Alternate Universe additional oath will have a chance to win a $25 gift certificate from the online retailer of your choice, courtesy of goon Zhent!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Iris of Ether posted:

I was wondering - would a group of zombies be obviously themed enough to qualify for Themed Group, even if they were all dressed differently? My Zombicide bonus minis arrived 1-2 weeks back, and I was thinking about doing 5+ of the undead heroes as an entry next month.

Yeah, definitely. I've said before that while eg. military units or sports teams clearly count as themed groups, I'm actually more excited to see what people might do with groups of civilians* or gangs, warbands etc. that aren't wearing uniforms or whatever that STILL look like they belong together.

Unified painting styles and basing, for example, are good ways to tie them together.

* living or dead! :D

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Zhent posted:

OATH COMPLETE

Finishing my first ever oath feels pretty good - Let me see what I can do to rack up some bonus points while I go here.

These look really cool. I especially like the lighting effect on the front. Was that airbrushed on? Looks sweet.

That said, drill your barrels! :black101:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Silly rules question, is it ok to be converting / building stuff prior to declaring your oath? i.e. I want to spend a bunch of time building a completely awesome base for a model before the next oath period starts. I'm pretty sure this is covered in the rules somewhere but I'm being thick and can't see it :downs:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

enri posted:

Silly rules question, is it ok to be converting / building stuff prior to declaring your oath? i.e. I want to spend a bunch of time building a completely awesome base for a model before the next oath period starts. I'm pretty sure this is covered in the rules somewhere but I'm being thick and can't see it :downs:

Yes - it's a painting oath thread, not a building/conversion oath thread. Part of the range of things done to make it more inviting to skirmish/historical players.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

krushgroove posted:

Yes - it's a painting oath thread, not a building/conversion oath thread. Part of the range of things done to make it more inviting to skirmish/historical players.

Excellent, ta for the clarification :)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

:siren: OATH COMPLETE :siren:

I forgot to claim Double the fun in the post linked above. I'd love it if a judge could fix that for me! I have edited the relevant information into the bottom of that post. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

I forgot to claim Double the fun in the post linked above. I'd love it if a judge could fix that for me! I have edited the relevant information into the bottom of that post. Thank you!

Psst.. I think double the fun is for detektiv jurnals, not bonus points and as we're only on month one, there isn't two jurnals to do on one oath entry yet :v:

judges, correct me if I'm wrong! :downs:

• Locked thread