Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reni89
May 3, 2012

by angerbeet

First try on new visture 4 hd tablet i got for $120.
Sketchbook. Finger. Laaag and depression.

Need a pen and another two cpu cores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

reni89 posted:

First try on new visture 4 hd tablet i got for $120.
Sketchbook. Finger. Laaag and depression.

Need a pen and another two cpu cores.

Have you tried rooting it? My ex-husband's galaxy was slow as hell, so he rooted it and it sped it waaay up. Also, check the other programs I mentioned earlier. There are probably plenty of video reviews.

reni89
May 3, 2012

by angerbeet
Yeah I had a look at that clover program and the google play store description was just atrocious, rating wasn't that great either.

It is rooted but since it's a chinese tablet it doesn't get the same developer attention as samsungs et al.

e: I am running the latest available ROM though.. I think the hardware is just a bit underpowered to drive a 2048x1536 LCD.

ee; is there a thread for posting random scribblings?

reni89 fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 14, 2013

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
The Daily Drawing's thread in creative convention. Yeah they have a theme but that's not strictly what is allowed. Go for it.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Anyone have much experience with the 13HD? Frenden has boxed it back up in favour of the cheaper Yiynova 19" cintiq alternative. Not sure what to think right now really.

There'll be bit of time before they come back in stock in England anyway.

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO
http://tech.woot.com/offers/wacom-bamboo-capture-pen-touch-tablet

Just saw this pop up on woot if anyone was looking for an inexpensive starter tablet. $50 with a 1 yr wacom warranty. I'm not sure how much I trust Wacom refurbs (no experience with them) but it seems like a good deal.

Stumpus Maximus
Dec 15, 2007

Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
Just picked up a tablet to start doodling (Monoprice 10x6.25). I tried to use photoshop and illustrator to just draw some basic line art, but there was a considerable lag between the cursor/pen and what was drawn. I'm trying to figure out if it's the tablet, my hardware, or the software I'm trying to use that's causing the lag. Also, any recommendations for a good art/drawing program some good brush presets for Photoshop?

edit: After messing with it a bit more, it's probably my slow-rear end laptop. Trying to draw with my mouse has the same lag.

Stumpus Maximus fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 19, 2013

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Stumpus Maximus posted:

edit: After messing with it a bit more, it's probably my slow-rear end laptop. Trying to draw with my mouse has the same lag.
Are you drawing on a big-rear end canvas? It's not an actual solution, but you might still get some enjoyment out of your purchase by reducing canvas size.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

If you're using Windows 7, disable all the Windows 7 tablet stuff.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Angrymog posted:

If you're using Windows 7, disable all the Windows 7 tablet stuff.

Came here to suggest exactly this.

I had to do it on my xp machine, too.

Control panel > Administrative Tools > Services > Tablet PC input services.
Disable Tablet PC input services.

Stumpus Maximus
Dec 15, 2007

Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
Disabling the tablet stuff didn't seem to make much of a difference. The lag isn't terrible, but it's noticeable. Is a 1:1 ratio of pen stroke to what appears on the screen possible? I have zero familiarity with tablets/digital art, so I may just be setting my expectations too high.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I'm putting together a considerably more powerful desktop build, so maybe I'll get better results then.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Stumpus Maximus posted:

Disabling the tablet stuff didn't seem to make much of a difference. The lag isn't terrible, but it's noticeable. Is a 1:1 ratio of pen stroke to what appears on the screen possible? I have zero familiarity with tablets/digital art, so I may just be setting my expectations too high.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I'm putting together a considerably more powerful desktop build, so maybe I'll get better results then.

Photoshop is really resource-hungry, so I'm not surprised you're getting lag on a laptop. You could try the trial version of Paint Tool SAI and see if you get better results http://painttool-sai.en.softonic.com/

nnnnghhhhgnnngh
Apr 6, 2009

Jizz Festival posted:

Photoshop is really resource-hungry, so I'm not surprised you're getting lag on a laptop. You could try the trial version of Paint Tool SAI and see if you get better results http://painttool-sai.en.softonic.com/

Seconding this. Art Rage - https://www.artrage.com - might also be worth a look.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

nnnnghhhhgnnngh posted:

Seconding this. Art Rage - https://www.artrage.com - might also be worth a look.

I was also going to suggest this. CS6 is slow as hell on my machine.

squirrelzipper posted:

Does anyone have experience with the Samsung galaxy note 10.1 as a sketchbook? It's got a Waco digitizer and pen which seems ok in the model I played with for 10 minutes. Have an opportunity to get one cheap but not sure it's well suited to sketching. Didn't see any mention of it up thread.
You'll need to root it asap if you get it to even use it for doodling purposes. My husband's sucked rear end for drawing.

Bored fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 22, 2013

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Does anyone have experience with the Samsung galaxy note 10.1 as a sketchbook? It's got a Waco digitizer and pen which seems ok in the model I played with for 10 minutes. Have an opportunity to get one cheap but not sure it's well suited to sketching. Didn't see any mention of it up thread.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

squirrelzipper posted:

Don't rely on it for any thing sort of resembling professional work. It may be fun to doodle on some times, or sketch down an idea or something.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Mentioned this in the 3d thread but didn't get much of a response:

I am interested in the best slate/tablet or highend laptop for sculpting zbrush on the go and am struggling with the issue of portability vs. power. Wanted to know who here sculpts and/or paints on a mobile computer and what do they recommend?

Are PC slates good enough to use zbrush / photoshop without too much lag at medium to high resolution?

The samsung slates seem really nice but I am very tempted to just go ahead and get nice Asus highend laptop with a monoprice tablet vs. the samsung.

Alternatively, maybe get the laptop for 3d and find a decent android tablet for life drawing stuff etc.

What do you guys think?

Is the wacom digitizer really THAT important anymore?

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

In the event that you make sense, I will still send you to the 7th circle.
^^ I'm using the Microsoft Surface Pro to do my work on. Just painted the illustration below using Photoshop with a canvas size of 3500px @ 300dpi. When the Surface was released it lacked WinTab support, but that's no longer an issue. Wacom updated the drivers and it's essentially a mobile solution to the Cintiq. One thing it lacks is the pen tilt support that something like an intuos4 and above would have. I personally never utilized that feature, so I can't comment how much of a loss that is.

Beelzebub fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 22, 2013

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Megaspel posted:

Don't rely on it for any thing sort of resembling professional work. It may be fun to doodle on some times, or sketch down an idea or something.

Yeah I'm thinking of using it primarily for sketches and thumbnails, nothing that would be at all final art. Although looking at that painting the Surface Pro seems like it does a great job. Don't have that kind of $ though...would probably get the new 13" cintiq if I did.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

squirrelzipper posted:

Yeah I'm thinking of using it primarily for sketches and thumbnails, nothing that would be at all final art. Although looking at that painting the Surface Pro seems like it does a great job. Don't have that kind of $ though...would probably get the new 13" cintiq if I did.

If you get this, root it asap. My husband had a galaxy note for work and it was useless for even doing tiny doodles on until he rooted it. Also, check out the ipad 4. It looks like it's about $100 more, but procreate and adobe ideas are great to work with, imo. You might also be better at internet shopping than I am and be able to find it cheaper. I didn't know anything about the surface pro when I bought my ipad so didn't have any clue why the newest ipad was cheaper than the previous model was.

Edit: If you get an ipad, don't waste your money on the artrage app. I love artrage for pc, but the app kind of sucks, no matter how proud they are of it. It's also the only drawing app I've had that lags.

Edit 2: Looks like they are planning on coming out with a surface pro 2, so maybe the surface pro 1 will drop in price soon. Just a fyi thing, since the article popped up when I went to search prices on the surface pro. Amazon's price on them is higher than they originally were.

Bored fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 22, 2013

Overdoze
Jan 6, 2008

Revolution of evolution
I've been looking to get a drawing tablet where I can see what I'm doing for a while, however I'm still not sure what to go with - the Cintiq 13HD or a Surface Pro or something else entirely. Portability is not completely essential for me, but it sure would be a very good bonus. Looking to use it mostly with Photoshop and Zbrush. 900 euros would be a fairly big investment for me so I don't want to end up immediately regretting my purchase. Could someone that owns any of these things list out some pros and cons? What about durability?

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Overdoze posted:

I've been looking to get a drawing tablet where I can see what I'm doing for a while, however I'm still not sure what to go with - the Cintiq 13HD or a Surface Pro or something else entirely. Portability is not completely essential for me, but it sure would be a very good bonus. Looking to use it mostly with Photoshop and Zbrush. 900 euros would be a fairly big investment for me so I don't want to end up immediately regretting my purchase. Could someone that owns any of these things list out some pros and cons? What about durability?

For durability, I would go with a cintiq. I had the little Yiynova tablet, which wasn't too bad, but the port for the usb cable broke (which may have been my fault since it slipped of the chair and hit the floor when I was setting it up) and I have a bad habit of forgetting that I have pens and pencils in my lap and standing up, which send them crashing to the ground. Yiynova pens are no longer usable when that happens which means I have to spend another 50 bucks to buy a replacement. Or maybe the way yiynova deals with pressure is as lovely as I thought it was before I thought about the fact that I dropped the pens. The intuos pens are doing just fine though.

Also, as far as the Yiynova 10inch goes, it's easel is loving useless. Especially since the tension in their stylus, before being dropped repeatedly, wouldn't pick up any pressure unless you pushed a bit with the pen. I even had it set at 0. So it really did make my hand cramp. If you try drawing on it not on your lap, it will slide. And there are no mounting holes on the back to hang it on an arm.

I haven't tried the surface pro, but can't exactly see where I'm drawing on the ipad with the pogo connect stylus. And the other two pressure sensitive styli have those little clear plastic things on the nibs.

Then again, this is a post by a non-professional artist, so some of the people who get paid might have better insight.

And this is beautiful

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

If you want to draw on stuff like the iPad, I'd recommend the Jot.

Never used it, but I think it's the only pen with a fine point, or at least the closest you'll get on those sort of devices. Plus 2048 levels of sensitivity.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Gabe from Penny Arcade did a Surface Pro review with video of the drawing capabilities here.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Silhouette posted:

Gabe from Penny Arcade did a Surface Pro review with video of the drawing capabilities here.

Getting a 404.

This works though:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/2013/02/25/the-ms-surface-pro

curse of flubber fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 27, 2013

Iseult
Apr 21, 2010

hoc est bellum
Hell Gem
Hope one of you Cintiq users can help me out here - my 13HD arrived today but the screen isn't what I expected. It looks like there's a cheap screen protector or something on it - it's got heaps of these tiny purple dots that shift around as you move, like a monitor before you take of the screen protector film (incidentally the tablet did not come with a screen protector). Is this normal?

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Quinquereme posted:

Hope one of you Cintiq users can help me out here - my 13HD arrived today but the screen isn't what I expected. It looks like there's a cheap screen protector or something on it - it's got heaps of these tiny purple dots that shift around as you move, like a monitor before you take of the screen protector film (incidentally the tablet did not come with a screen protector). Is this normal?

I got mine yesterday and I know exactly what you mean. I tried scratching at the edges, but I couldn't find a seam and didn't want to risk it. I've already eaten half the complementary gummy bears, so I'm like 99% sure my warranty is voided now.

Iseult
Apr 21, 2010

hoc est bellum
Hell Gem
I poked around the sides as well in case there was a screen protector and didn't come up with anything :( I hope I did just miss it because I'm finding it really distracting in light areas.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Megaspel posted:

I got mine yesterday and I know exactly what you mean. I tried scratching at the edges, but I couldn't find a seam and didn't want to risk it. I've already eaten half the complementary gummy bears, so I'm like 99% sure my warranty is voided now.

What's this about gummi bears?

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

I'm a bit worried about scratching the 13HD. Are screen protectors recommended or is the glass strong enough you reckon?

Bored posted:

What's this about gummi bears?

If you buy it from the Wacom store they give you two small packets of gummy bears. It's a tiny little thing which makes all the difference.

curse of flubber fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 1, 2013

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Bored posted:

If you get this, root it asap. My husband had a galaxy note for work and it was useless for even doing tiny doodles on until he rooted it. Also, check out the ipad 4. It looks like it's about $100 more, but procreate and adobe ideas are great to work with, imo. You might also be better at internet shopping than I am and be able to find it cheaper. I didn't know anything about the surface pro when I bought my ipad so didn't have any clue why the newest ipad was cheaper than the previous model was.

Edit: If you get an ipad, don't waste your money on the artrage app. I love artrage for pc, but the app kind of sucks, no matter how proud they are of it. It's also the only drawing app I've had that lags.

Edit 2: Looks like they are planning on coming out with a surface pro 2, so maybe the surface pro 1 will drop in price soon. Just a fyi thing, since the article popped up when I went to search prices on the surface pro. Amazon's price on them is higher than they originally were.

Well I ended up picking this up (it was $100 because the SD Card slot is broken). So far it's ok, it's not a terrible little tablet.

I haven't rooted it but it seems fine for doodling. But that's really all I think i'll be using it for. Where drawing on my wife's iPad with a capacitive stylus felt like drawing with a sausage, drawing with the Note stylus feels a bit like drawing with a toothpick. The stylus is really light, and due to it's short length requires a different hold than my intuous or a regular pencil. The actual line quality is pretty good (i'm using sketchbook pro android) and the pressure sensitivity is actually really good but the screen is pretty low resolution (1280 x 720) and so even though you can set up large canvases it's a bit like drawing through a tiny window.

So we'll see, it was super cheap and makes it easy to doodles and thumbs in boring meetings, but I think that's about as far as it's capable of going.

reni89
May 3, 2012

by angerbeet
Was just about to pull the trigger on a gnote 10.1 too..

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ok guys, wrong thread probably but who knows. I really like the Surface Pro over the Wacom 13. Yeah you get the tactile buttons with the Wacom, but you're completely untethered with the Surface, and there is software that overlay 'keys' on the screen so you can do ctrl+click and that sort of thing. Surface has some sort of "palm-sensing" technology which may interfere with button overlays on the screen while you're using the stylus though.

Anyways, reading this thread got me looking at the Galaxy Note 10.1. Is there a drawing app for Android that is The Best? I'd like support for layers, as well as shapes like lines and circles, and the ability to stretch, skew, and distort layers like in Photoshop. Googling just brings up a bunch of "OUR APP IS GREAT! FAKE CRAYON EFFECT!" when I really just want a bare-bones photoshop clone.

EDIT: I think I just want a Surface Pro with CS6 installed. MS is selling the Surface Pro (NOT RT) for $399 at a developer conference right now. Futureshop.ca is selling them for $999. Come onnnnnn price cut.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 4, 2013

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Frown Town posted:

Here's my take, with experience working professionally/personally with the 12wx, 21ux, 22HD, and 24HD. Tl:dr- I recommend the 22HD because the 24HD is needlessly big and heavy and I've been burned pretty badly by my experience with it.

12wx: skip. This one was Wacom's first foray into a smaller digital tablet and had a lot of issues; monitor quality/brightness left much to be desired, and there were just a ridiculous number of cables feeding into an enormous control box that made this $1000 device feel kinda pointless; esp if you're working from a laptop and are limited to one display-- I bought it expecting to travel with it, but it turned out to be too inconvenient and I'd rather have a big monitor and an intuos if I could only choose one display. note: now that I own a laptop that supports multiple displays, the 13 is looking more appealing; especially since wacom seems to have addressed the issues I took with the 12.

21ux: this one's still nice-- 1600x1200 and you'll be able to get it for a lot less (1200 refurbished?) since it's not a current model.

22hd: $2000, 1600 refurbed: I was surprised by how much I like this. At work this one is attached to a monitor arm (ergotron) and it feels really nice. 1920 x 1080, so you trade some vertical pixels for horizontal ones vs the 21. iirc it's around 20 lbs. They just announced a touch version at 2500, but that seems kind of silly.

24HD $2500: I own one of these at home, and used to have one at a previous job. If you don't have desk space for this, don't get it. Seriously --- measure your desk. It's a very nice piece of tech, but it's ridiculously bulky and heavy for the size of the display. There's an extra ~4ish inches of buffer on EACH SIDE of the screen- yeah the hotkey buttons live there, but they could've designed this thing with half the buffer and still had enough room for those buttons. I think Wacom could make some serious form factor improvements to this model to make it more transportable; then again, my experience has been a little nightmarish. After around 6 months of owning the 24HD, it developed a vertical blue line running down the middle, and I had to pay $125 to ship it back to Wacom. The one they sent me had dead pixels and a couple weird bright spots under the screen, so I had to ship that one back too. (they covered it the 2nd time). They sent me a new one; there are a few dead pixels in it too, but not in particularly obnoxious places. At this point, I give up on shipping this thing back and forth. It weighs 64 lbs - closer to 70-75 in its shipping box. That's insane. I had to haul it up and down the stairs of my townhouse solo (thank god I powerlift, but still, that's not a fun thing to transport by yourself). I bought mine before the 22HD came out, but had I had the option, and known what a pain in the rear end the 24HD would be, I'd have gone with the 22.
But then again, it's a pleasure to work on (when it's not covered with dead pixels) so if you've got the desk real estate and the money, go for it. The difference between working on the 22 and 24 is pretty negligible IMO though. I don't really find myself longing to work on the bigger tablet when I'm at work.

Beelzebub posted:

^^ I'm using the Microsoft Surface Pro to do my work on. Just painted the illustration below using Photoshop with a canvas size of 3500px @ 300dpi. When the Surface was released it lacked WinTab support, but that's no longer an issue. Wacom updated the drivers and it's essentially a mobile solution to the Cintiq. One thing it lacks is the pen tilt support that something like an intuos4 and above would have. I personally never utilized that feature, so I can't comment how much of a loss that is.

ACanofPepsi posted:

Ok guys, wrong thread probably but who knows. I really like the Surface Pro over the Wacom 13. Yeah you get the tactile buttons with the Wacom, but you're completely untethered with the Surface, and there is software that overlay 'keys' on the screen so you can do ctrl+click and that sort of thing. Surface has some sort of "palm-sensing" technology which may interfere with button overlays on the screen while you're using the stylus though.

Anyways, reading this thread got me looking at the Galaxy Note 10.1. Is there a drawing app for Android that is The Best? I'd like support for layers, as well as shapes like lines and circles, and the ability to stretch, skew, and distort layers like in Photoshop. Googling just brings up a bunch of "OUR APP IS GREAT! FAKE CRAYON EFFECT!" when I really just want a bare-bones photoshop clone.

EDIT: I think I just want a Surface Pro with CS6 installed. MS is selling the Surface Pro (NOT RT) for $399 at a developer conference right now. Futureshop.ca is selling them for $999. Come onnnnnn price cut.
Collecting these here because I find them incredibly helpful. And I'm still waiting for my cintiq 13 to arrive. Then again,surface pros aren't selling for 400 bucks anywhere near me. I'm also guessing I made a mistake about the galaxy tablet my ex-husband had. Sorry.

Bored fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 5, 2013

Iseult
Apr 21, 2010

hoc est bellum
Hell Gem

ACanofPepsi posted:

Is there a drawing app for Android that is The Best? I'd like support for layers, as well as shapes like lines and circles, and the ability to stretch, skew, and distort layers like in Photoshop. Googling just brings up a bunch of "OUR APP IS GREAT! FAKE CRAYON EFFECT!" when I really just want a bare-bones photoshop clone.

I like SketchBook Pro but I haven't tried many other apps - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.adsk.sketchbookhd&hl=en

I managed to get a photo that shows what I was talking about in regards to my Cintiq screen:

It's a bit faded from glare but you can see the tiny colourful dots I was talking about where it's in focus. It's a lot brighter than that IRL and I find it really distracting :( Is it meant to be like this?

Edit - cropped out useless bits to make picture smaller, sorry!

Iseult fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 5, 2013

reni89
May 3, 2012

by angerbeet
It's from non glare coating.
It's basically how it works, diffracts light, makes it less shiny but you get speckles.

E: just bought a surface pro $750aud.
Not looking forward to Bing etc.

Iseult
Apr 21, 2010

hoc est bellum
Hell Gem
All right thanks, I'll suck it up and get used to it then!

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

In the event that you make sense, I will still send you to the 7th circle.

reni89 posted:

It's from non glare coating.
It's basically how it works, diffracts light, makes it less shiny but you get speckles.

E: just bought a surface pro $750aud.
Not looking forward to Bing etc.

I'm pretty sure you're going to love your surface. They're pretty amazing devices. Photoshop on a slate device with a wacom digitizer? Jawesome! My wife's doctor's office switched to them for charting and what not after watching me draw on one in the waiting area. The build quality is pretty solid as well.

Okay, I'm done.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
I'm really interested to see the next generation of Surfaces and whether or not the current generation will go down in price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Quinquereme posted:

I like SketchBook Pro but I haven't tried many other apps - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.adsk.sketchbookhd&hl=en

Seconding that. It has everything you want and was certainly best of the ones I sampled. On a G.Note 10.1.