Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

thegoat posted:

This guy builds a geodesic dome and fills it with aquaponics. It looks neat.

This video series is pretty awesome. I can't see myself ever spending $20,000 and that much work on gardening, but it's very interesting to learn about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Wanting to do something and actually doing it are pretty different.

Cool as it is, probably never gonna happen. It would definitely have to be seasonal anyway, winter heating would be a killer.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If I understand how frigid northern climes work, the air temperature and first foot or three of topsoil all gets super-cold (like you can have 40 below days or something insane like that), but down below the frost the earth and rock actually stays at a much more comfortable (and above-freezing) temperature. So what you do is bury a bunch of pipe and keep it flowing, and the heat exchange keeps the water liquid even when it's freezing aboveground.

Naturally this is probably really expensive.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
You can do aquaculture in a basement or shed, which can mitigate some of the temperature problems you'd run into if doing it outside in a temperate climate. I've actually researched it and it seems easy enough to set up a tub full of tilapia in the basement that I eventually plan on trying it myself. Of course, it's not nearly as awesome as a full-on geodesic dome setup. That video blew my mind, especially considering how much of the work he did by hand.

Of course if you're doing a full-on hydroponics setup, growing in a shed means investing in lights...

Slung, are you planning on ripping up your grass entirely and re-seeding the lawn with clover, or just interseeding the clover with the grass and letting it go? I want to start white clover in my front yard instead of grass so I'm interested to see how it works for you!

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

If I understand how frigid northern climes work, the air temperature and first foot or three of topsoil all gets super-cold (like you can have 40 below days or something insane like that), but down below the frost the earth and rock actually stays at a much more comfortable (and above-freezing) temperature. So what you do is bury a bunch of pipe and keep it flowing, and the heat exchange keeps the water liquid even when it's freezing aboveground.

Naturally this is probably really expensive.
Around where slung blade lives isn't what I'd call terribly frigid. It can hit -40C, but almost never for more than a couple days. The area gets a lot of what we call chinooks (a kind of föhn wind) that mean the overall average temperature is a lot higher than, say, Regina (which is actually a bit further south). Unfortunately, you still need to bury it (just perhaps not as deep) and yeah, it's going to cost an arm and a freaking leg for anything large enough for real yields.

Probably far easier to just have a decent garden patch and some home canning.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Slung Blade posted:

Wanting to do something and actually doing it are pretty different.

Cool as it is, probably never gonna happen. It would definitely have to be seasonal anyway, winter heating would be a killer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCIqChs9nCk

He actually follows all the way through to completion, it's a great 12-part series. The guy is located in Connecticut so while it's not nearly as cold as were you are, it does get frosty.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Faerunner posted:

I've actually researched it and it seems easy enough to set up a tub full of tilapia in the basement that I eventually plan on trying it myself.

Be careful with keeping a body of water in your house! Horror story: my stepmom lives in oaklahoma and years ago she had a "lap pool" put in to her garage. Basically one of those things with jets that lets you swim in-place while it circulates the water.

Two years later she had to have the garage gutted because everything had gotten moist and stayed moist. The wood was rotting, there was mold, it was horrible (and horribly expensive). So if you put a tub of tilapia in your basement make sure you're keeping the air at an appropriate level of moisture (e.g., ventilate really well!)

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Insurrectum posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCIqChs9nCk

He actually follows all the way through to completion, it's a great 12-part series. The guy is located in Connecticut so while it's not nearly as cold as were you are, it does get frosty.

I just watched this, and then half his other videos. This man is a genius.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
It really is a well-engineered design. I love how much consideration was given to future maintenance and to maximize efficiency.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Be careful with keeping a body of water in your house! Horror story: my stepmom lives in oaklahoma and years ago she had a "lap pool" put in to her garage. Basically one of those things with jets that lets you swim in-place while it circulates the water.

Two years later she had to have the garage gutted because everything had gotten moist and stayed moist. The wood was rotting, there was mold, it was horrible (and horribly expensive). So if you put a tub of tilapia in your basement make sure you're keeping the air at an appropriate level of moisture (e.g., ventilate really well!)

Eek. I'll make sure the design includes ventilation and possibly a dehumidifier. Thanks for the advice!

That geodesic dome guy impresses the heck out of me. I wish he'd come to our place and help us fix it up. I don't have nearly that level of motivation, but I'm planning big things anyway!

SmutAnEggs
Jan 1, 2006
I posted this in the House Buying Megathread, but you guys might have more knowledge in this area?

Anyone have any information on Vacant/Agriculture type loans? I'm looking for lender specific terms conditions. Where do I find specific vacant land lenders?

I put an offer in on 10 acres this past Saturday(Zoned A-2). The Seller agent came back with, "we want to see you are pre-approved before we counter-offer". :fuckoff: He's just buying time to see if more offers are going to come in.
In the offer, I had that I would be putting 30% down and financing the rest at a 15year term.

I called a few banks today(Not a great day for this, being the Veteran's Day holiday). The banks I did talk to either don't deal with Vacant land loans, or I would have to purchase a construction loan within 1year(Im looking at 18 months out till I build).

The acreage has a an old farm house from 1901(inhabitable) that would have to be demolished, so I can't take out a regular mortgage. The listing price is based on acreage(barn, external garage) alone. The old farm house is not part of the listing price. Are all the banks/lenders going to want a assessment of the farm house? Whats the best way to just a get a piece of paper over to the seller agent, that lists I would be approved? I have been waiting/saving for 3 years for a property to pop-up in this area at this value.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't know much about buying land, but I do know that it's totally reasonable and typical for a seller of real property to expect you to be pre-approved before considering your offer. The pre-approval represents a basic check that you're creditworthy; no seller wants to get into contract with you and dick around for thirty or forty days, only to find out you were never anywhere close to qualifying for a loan and were just wasting his time.

I'll let someone else address the rest of your questions.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

SmutAnEggs posted:

I posted this in the House Buying Megathread, but you guys might have more knowledge in this area?

Anyone have any information on Vacant/Agriculture type loans? I'm looking for lender specific terms conditions. Where do I find specific vacant land lenders?

I put an offer in on 10 acres this past Saturday(Zoned A-2). The Seller agent came back with, "we want to see you are pre-approved before we counter-offer". :fuckoff: He's just buying time to see if more offers are going to come in.
In the offer, I had that I would be putting 30% down and financing the rest at a 15year term.

I called a few banks today(Not a great day for this, being the Veteran's Day holiday). The banks I did talk to either don't deal with Vacant land loans, or I would have to purchase a construction loan within 1year(Im looking at 18 months out till I build).

The acreage has a an old farm house from 1901(inhabitable) that would have to be demolished, so I can't take out a regular mortgage. The listing price is based on acreage(barn, external garage) alone. The old farm house is not part of the listing price. Are all the banks/lenders going to want a assessment of the farm house? Whats the best way to just a get a piece of paper over to the seller agent, that lists I would be approved? I have been waiting/saving for 3 years for a property to pop-up in this area at this value.

My mortgage and house were all done with residential style mortgage and loans. As far as I am aware, agricultural loans here are just for farm/ranchland and have nothing to do with any residencies on the property.

Sorry man, I don't know enough to help :( It's been over a month though, has anything happened here? 30% down is quite a lot though, I'm surprised they didn't jump at that.

So it's winter again, and the air was really clear when I woke up this morning. I had to snap a picture of the mountains it was so pretty.

You can also see my fancy new address bar that I made a couple months back. I actually bent the 1" bar iron pounding that fucker into the ground a little, you can kind of see it if you fully expand the image. Unless I yank it out and heat it up again there's no good way to fix it, so I'm going to say it adds character and leave it at that. I would like to put a solar charged lantern of some kind on the tip of the upright bar, does anyone have any suggestions for that?

I'm still working on my table, hopefully I can have that done here in a week or so, but I wanted to bump this thread with a little content before it vanished into the archives, and apatite's awesome wilderness thread has been inspiring.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Wow, nice sign!

If there's a home improvement store near you they should sell little post-top solar deck lights designed to sit on top of deck posts. Ours here are a standard 4" square opening on the bottom, but I'm sure you could rig something to connect them to a smaller post. They're really inexpensive and come in a couple different colors. The other option is to look at post-top lanterns designed for lampposts, although the last ones I saw still had 2-3" diameter round openings. They can get more decorative (and a heck of a lot more expensive!) and where the post-top deck lights are generally plastic the lantern post lights I've seen are all metal and glass. Or with your skill you could probably whip something up custom! I'm not sure where you'd source a solar panel from but LEDs are available online.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Buy some small solar cells on ebay, and a rechargable battery. Then do this: http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/3_1568_0.html

You know you want to! :)

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

apatite posted:

Buy some small solar cells on ebay, and a rechargable battery. Then do this: http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/3_1568_0.html

You know you want to! :)

Hmm, good idea. I'll probably go this route when I get the time.

Been kinda busy lately :cool:

Table's done, painted, leveled up, and in place. I put some little felt feet on it so it won't scratch up the floor.

Perfect it ain't, but it's not too bad. Probably too complex a shape for someone with my limited skills and talent, but I'll take it.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
drat, dude, looks great. Did you hew the stone and blow the glass jar, too?

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Can I commission you to make me a garden arbor/fence/gate? Goddamn.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Faerunner posted:

Can I commission you to make me a garden arbor/fence/gate? Goddamn.

Yeah, if someone wants me to make something, just post in here or send me a PM or something. I can't guarantee speedy delivery or anything (always many projects on the go) or the highest quality, but I'll do my best for you.

Grover: thanks. I'd like to try glass blowing some time, but not for a while yet. Too many other things to learn.

(stealth bump to avoid the archives)

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Slung Blade posted:

Yeah, if someone wants me to make something, just post in here or send me a PM or something. I can't guarantee speedy delivery or anything (always many projects on the go) or the highest quality, but I'll do my best for you.

Let's make babies. They'd take over the world. Don't tell the wife though!

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

apatite posted:

Let's make babies. They'd take over the world. Don't tell the wife though!

Only if we name the first one Kronar.

(oglaf joke ((nsfw)))

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Neighbour brought over three dump trailer loads of horse manure for the garden yesterday afteroon.

I spent a couple hours spreading it out with the tractor snow plow before I swapped it out for the cultivator. Didn't take any pictures, it's just a bunch of poo poo.

Trees are coming back and the grass is almost all green now. Pretty mild winter this year, hopefully all my bushes made it.

Not sure if I'll plant much of a garden this year, I want to spend more time working on ironwork, and I can keep the garden tilled up to maybe help with some of the weeds for next year.

Maybe some potatoes, they're easy to deal with.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Resting and feeding the ground for a year won't hurt, quite the opposite. Consider planting beans for some nitrogen-fixing goodness.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
I don't remember the exact reasons why, but my Pop-Pop would always plant rye in his garden whenever it was not in use for growing vegetables. That's a trick he brought back with him from the farm.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

AbsentMindedWelder posted:

I don't remember the exact reasons why, but my Pop-Pop would always plant rye in his garden whenever it was not in use for growing vegetables. That's a trick he brought back with him from the farm.
Rye will grow in pretty poo poo soil, it's hardy (meaning you can even plant it in fall and let it go over winter), and it doesn't have the same trouble with weeds as a lot of plants do. It's pretty much ideal for "a plot of land I want to ignore for a year".

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Cakefool posted:

Resting and feeding the ground for a year won't hurt, quite the opposite. Consider planting beans for some nitrogen-fixing goodness.

I've planted about 6 kilos of dried beans in the last two years. They grew pretty well, but the weeds always overtook them :(

Yeah, and rye is a great 'green manure' crop. Great for composting or acting as mulch, from what I've read.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Field peas are good for that too. We just mowed ours on the community farm, and put tomatoes in. The nodules on the pea roots fix nitrogen for the tomatoes :3 It's such a lovely symbiosis! If you have the time, a cover crop is definitely a good idea.

Can't wait to see what you do this summer with your iron work!

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Faerunner posted:

Can't wait to see what you do this summer with your iron work!

About that...

:stare: what am I doing oh gently caress

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Needs horns. :clint:

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
That's a pretty awesome hooptie you got there.

Edit: I'm trusting you won't be electrifying that... although I'm sure it could handle the weight of the battery bank.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Slung Blade posted:

:stare: what am I doing oh gently caress

What ARE you doing, I don't get it.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Costello Jello posted:

What ARE you doing, I don't get it.

Well, I have a reliable hauler, a dependable and fuel efficient daily driver, and a farm utility vehicle.

I wanted a fun summer car to generate clouds of rubber smoke with. Is that so wrong?

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Slung Blade posted:

Well, I have a reliable hauler, a dependable and fuel efficient daily driver, and a farm utility vehicle.

I wanted a fun summer car to generate clouds of rubber smoke with. Is that so wrong?

Not at all Sir. Not at all.

How much work do you think you'll need/plan to put into it? Looks like a hell of a car

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Awesome car choice. What kind of work does it need?

Faerunner fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 23, 2013

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

As far as I can tell, not a whole hell of a lot.

The sheet metal seems mostly ok, I might need a patch or two here and there, but it seems nice and straight. Any bad points there are replacements for in the trunk already. I'll know more once I get it home and have a chance to jack it up and do a proper inspection of everything, like the floor pans.

It'll need the normal stuff, tires, brakes, suspension bits, bushings, weather stripping, etc. All that fun stuff.

I'm totally going to do a full four wheel disc brake conversion, update the suspension parts, prep it for paint and send it off. I could probably paint it myself, but I'd rather not, expensive if you gently caress up, and I don't want to own the equipment you need to do it.

The interior is drat near immaculate(!), so I don't have to do a thing there.

It will stay gas powered. It's the 440 trim package, so it has a 318 V8, and a three speed automatic (bleh) which originally came with the car, so I will thrash on it until it dies (hah, as if it ever will, 318s live forever) and then I'll do an engine swap to something a little peppier with a manual transmission. Autos are ok, I just prefer driving manuals.

I needed a new fuckin project, poo poo was getting positively boring around here.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Slung Blade posted:

I'm totally going to do a full four wheel disc brake conversion, update the suspension parts, prep it for paint and send it off. I could probably paint it myself, but I'd rather not, expensive if you gently caress up, and I don't want to own the equipment you need to do it.

There are a couple of the threads floating round where Moocow rebuilds a complete junker (no, seriously, the thing was more rust than sheet metal) and it includes painting.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Frogmanv2 posted:

There are a couple of the threads floating round where Moocow rebuilds a complete junker (no, seriously, the thing was more rust than sheet metal) and it includes painting.

I've read it, the dude's amazing. :black101: I read AI fairly often, don't post a lot because I never had much to add, maybe I can change that now.

This car is in, uh, slightly better shape than his was to start with. I won't need to do anything as dramatic as that. I hope, anyway.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Paid the man the balance of the money we agreed on, took some more images for my insurance broker, thought I would post them here.

It's pouring rain here today.

See that little assembly around the left tail light there? It's been nudged a few times. Luckily, there's a replacement in the trunk!

But the interior... I mean, holy gently caress, just look at it.

Annnd the engine bay. Occupied by the original, and venerable, if not terribly exciting, 318 V8.

I'll pick it up and drive it home as soon as the insurance coverage comes in and I register it.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
I wonder what the insurance company will think when they see it has no seatbelts.

If you have the money everyone should have a ridiculous old vehicle.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
The interior and engine match the tractor!

That is a great car you got there. I'm sure you'll enjoy it and have no problems getting it to run and look like it came off a show room floor.