Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

The Squole are also up on d20pfsrd for free, though you don't get any of the art in the ODF file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
So, I found on the Pathfinder D20 Site there is a playable monster called Monkey Goblin.

Anyone seen one in action?

What do you do? Just make horrid chimp noises and throw coconuts at orcs?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Kvantum posted:

Dual-Cursed archetype from Ultimate Magic. There are a lot of mysteries that might work, but Flame and Winter (from Player Companion: People of the North) give you the bonus spells you need to blow up everything in, err... sight.

Dual-cursed is the plan, but I hadn't seen the Flame and Winter mysteries. I think Magical Lineage for the whole cheap-maximized-fireball gimmick is the way to go, if I can pull that off with a flame oracle.

some guy in this thread posted:

If you take +3 caster levels to fireball, at 7th, you cast 10d6 fireballs. With Draconic bloodline, thats 10d6+10. Maximized, it's 70. If you empower it too, it's 5d6+5, for a total of 5d6+75.

You empower it at +1 level thanks to magic lineage background, making it a 3rd level spell that uses a 4th level slot. With a lesser maximizing rod, you can maximize 3rd level spells (not slots).

So now the question is; blind/deaf oracle who relies on area of effect spells to hit things and is kind of like The Dude or cliché Cthulhu cultist who was raised by Shoggoths and basically lives to drive everyone insane?

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
FYI that use of a maximize rod is incorrect, it goes off the modified level of the spell.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Well then someone in this thread is a doodiehead. Here I was hoping I could get cheap maximixed fireballs.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Hmm I think I have seen the Squole before. I remeber finding it massively disappointing the last time I looked at it. It might be interesting to play but it is not really anything like a slime, let alone a gelatinous cube, at all. It is a humanoid that happens to have a few things to try and emulate an ooze, poorly. That said it does look interesting, just not what I was hoping to find.

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."
Anyone have any experience with Adventure Paths? I've got a group with half people who have played and half never played. Any adventure paths that are easier, or not brutally hard?

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Interstellar Owl posted:

Anyone have any experience with Adventure Paths? I've got a group with half people who have played and half never played. Any adventure paths that are easier, or not brutally hard?

Every game of Pathfinder and related RPGs is exactly as hard as the GM makes it for their players.

Some APs have some enemies that seem stronger than they should, and some monsters might have abilities that your party may not be able to handle, but in the end it is up to the GM to do some homework before the session, understand the powers of major enemies, and make sure that the fight is interesting and challenging to the party, but ultimately winnable.

There's a quote in the PF GM's book that I'll loosely paraphrase: It is not the job of the GM to ensure that the PCs have a fair fight, because that implies they'd lose half the time, and that's a lot of dead characters.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

What are the current standard best ways to increase the DCs against your spells/Hexes? I'm being forced to play PF against my will, I want to remind the DM why Caster supremacy is a bad thing.

Vylan Antagonist
Jun 5, 2005

Much less clever than he looks
Tortured By Flan

Tharizdun posted:

What are the current standard best ways to increase the DCs against your spells/Hexes? I'm being forced to play PF against my will, I want to remind the DM why Caster supremacy is a bad thing.

One way is to go for the Fireball From Hell.

Feats: Spell Focus:Evocation, Greater Spell Focus:Evocation, Elemental Focus:Fire, Greater Elemental Focus:Fire, Spell Perfection:Fireball, Intensify Spell, Dazing Spell, Quicken Spell
Trait: Magical Lineage: Fireball

In practical terms, you'll want energy admixture as well, along with some forms of spell penetration, but the framework above gives you +8DC fireballs that are Intensified and Quickened or Intensified and Dazing as 3rd level spell slots (throw one of each every round). You can add in Heighten to taste, for even higher DCs.

For a lower level character with similarly painful DCs, you could go with a Gnome Oracle of Heavens, taking Awesome Display and Spell Focus:Illusion. While you'll have plenty of other tricks up your sleeve, your Oracle will be +2 to his illusion pattern (and thus Color Spray) DCs at 2nd level and he'll be able to deduct his charisma score from each opponent's hit dice when determining the Color Spray effects. With just a 16 charisma, even at 2nd level you'll be blinding, stunning, and knocking out 5HD opponents for 2d4 rounds at a 16DC.

Edit- The posters below me make an excellent point while I just bought into the character building exercise without putting any thought into your reasons. It's a game, I'm pretty sure the other players are expecting you to play and try to have a good time, not to punish the DM for failing to acknowledge LFQW.

Vylan Antagonist fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 24, 2013

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Tharizdun posted:

Under threat of torture or what? Don't be an rear end in a top hat, just don't play the fuckin' game.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
If you want high DCs, go with a kitsune sorcerer with the Fey bloodline, take the favored class bonus that increases your DC, max your Charisma, and take both spell focus feats. I'm pretty sure that's about as high a DC as you get on anything worth making people save against.

That said, don't be a shitlord. If you don't want to play, don't play. Nobody's actually forcing you to play Pathfinder, so if you can't have fun with it stay home and don't spoil someone else's night for the hell of it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Benly posted:

If you want high DCs, go with a kitsune sorcerer with the Fey bloodline, take the favored class bonus that increases your DC, max your Charisma, and take both spell focus feats. I'm pretty sure that's about as high a DC as you get on anything worth making people save against.

That said, don't be a shitlord. If you don't want to play, don't play. Nobody's actually forcing you to play Pathfinder, so if you can't have fun with it stay home and don't spoil someone else's night for the hell of it.

It's not that I want to be a shitlord, I'm just wholly uninterested in participating in a game that doesn't even pretend to be balanced and fun for everyone, so I intend to (without going all Pun-Pun min/maxing) take all the save-or-suck spells that negate hit point-based combat and I'd like to ensure that those spells connect in a way that makes combats completely trivial in every way, just because I wrote "whizzard" on my sheet.

It's a good group, I like gaming with them, I just find this particular game irritating and would like to move on as soon as possible.

Mairn
Jan 6, 2011

Tharizdun posted:

I'm just wholly uninterested in participating in a game that doesn't even pretend to be balanced and fun for everyone

So don't play a game that you have no interest in. Trying to ruin the fun of multiple people just because you don't agree with them is a dick move.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Tharizdun posted:

It's not that I want to be a shitlord, I'm just wholly uninterested in participating in a game that doesn't even pretend to be balanced and fun for everyone, so I intend to (without going all Pun-Pun min/maxing) take all the save-or-suck spells that negate hit point-based combat and I'd like to ensure that those spells connect in a way that makes combats completely trivial in every way, just because I wrote "whizzard" on my sheet.

It's a good group, I like gaming with them, I just find this particular game irritating and would like to move on as soon as possible.

If I was your GM I would probably ask you to leave my game several months ago.

That said, if I was your GM and for some reason didn't do that, I'm pretty sure I'd manage not to have every encounter ever trivialized just cause you took a few feats and min-maxed for DC. So good luck or whatever.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

Tharizdun posted:

What level are you going to be playing at? The ways to do caster supremacy vary a lot between low/mid/high levels, not just in ways to optimize DCs but also in the kind of spells you want to be forcing them to save against.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

What level are you going to be playing at? The ways to do caster supremacy vary a lot between low/mid/high levels, not just in ways to optimize DCs but also in the kind of spells you want to be forcing them to save against.

Starting at level 1, though our group has a tendency to level more often than normal (usually every other session at the slowest), so we can try out new toys sooner. I was looking at Witch, because Hexes that are at-will/don't provoke seem good, and Slumber actually scales while Sleep is outclassed quickly.

It looks like the eyebrow-fighter Witch is a bad trap choice, because even though it keys off your primary stat (like a real game), it still uses your BAB, which as a caster is poo poo?

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 24, 2013

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tharizdun posted:

because even though it keys off your primary stat (like a real game)

4e apologist spotted

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tharizdun posted:

Starting at level 1, though our group has a tendency to level more often than normal (usually every other session at the slowest), so we can try out new toys sooner. I was looking at Witch, because Hexes that are at-will/don't provoke seem good, and Slumber actually scales while Sleep is outclassed quickly.

It looks like the eyebrow-fighter Witch is a bad trap choice, because even though it keys off your primary stat (like a real game), it still uses your BAB, which as a caster is poo poo?

Scarred Witch Doctor can actually do a Hair Fighter Witch with reasonable returns given that their casting stat becomes CON and can mostly ignore their mental Stats to compensate for the Witch's slow BAB

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Tharizdun posted:

"It's a good group, I like gaming with them, I just want to make sure none of them have any fun because they're doing it wrong."

Tell them you don't like Pathfinder and ask if you can play something else. If they don't want to, then act like a god drat adult instead of making GBS threads on the table until they play what you wanna play.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Tharizdun posted:

This is basically the definition of "be[ing] a shitlord," hth.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Tharizdun posted:

Yeah the net effect of this is not going to be to sour them on the game, it is probably going to be to sour them on you. I would seriously suggest just being honest with them and using your grown up words rather than attempting to prove a point so you can tell people on the internet you ruined someone's fun so you could be right and wasted everyone's time, which includes your own. This is where adults talk to each other and work out some other game to play rather than becoming a bad anecdote.

masam
May 27, 2010
Does anyone remember a Third party feat for bards that actually made Walls of Force from *perform pantomime?*

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

masam posted:

Does anyone remember a Third party feat for bards that actually made Walls of Force from *perform pantomime?*

No, but that is a feat I would like to see.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

masam posted:

How about The House of the Imaginary Walls masterpiece for perform (act)? That's first party, even.

masam
May 27, 2010
That's the one Zurai, thank you. I want to be a bard that handles incoporeal threats by trapping them. Something of a fantasy ghost buster with my own way of herding them towards the rest of the party.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Vylan Antagonist posted:

One way is to go for the Fireball From Hell.
I've always entertained the idea of the Enervation rear end in a top hat. It's basically the same thing, except obviously single-target and with Enervation instead of Fireball. Maximize Spell + Empower Spell (casting at either 6 or 7 depending on the slots you can spare) will cap it as a 9th level spell--4 base + 3 Maximized + 2 Empowered--grab a Rod of Quickening II and poo poo out 12 negative levels every turn. Pick up Thanoptic Spell, heartbreakingly reducing your level damage to 8/turn but allowing you to ruin anything that is also immune to negative energy.

... Huh, now that I look at it, it doesn't have a fuckin' duration. Well, so much for that, huh?

I guess if you were a stupidly high level, you could kill pretty much anything in two turns by dropping an Enervation into a Rod-Maximized Energy Drain, and then following up with two Enervations the next turn.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 07:57 on May 25, 2013

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Incidentally, Empower and Maximize don't stack like that. That is, you don't Maximize the extra variation from Empower. In the case of a maximized empowered enervation, you would deal 4+1d2 negative levels, not 6. At least, that's assuming they maintained the ruling from 3.5. I think it's likely, because otherwise Empower and Maximize don't actually stack at all--Empower requires a spell with random variable components and Maximize removes that.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 08:08 on May 25, 2013

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

The White Dragon posted:

... Huh, now that I look at it, it doesn't have a fuckin' duration. Well, so much for that, huh?

d20pfsrd posted:

Assuming the subject survives, it regains lost levels after a number of hours equal to your caster level (maximum 15 hours). Usually, negative levels have a chance of becoming permanent, but the negative levels from enervation don't last long enough to do so.
Just wanted to clear that up.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

I've always entertained the idea of the Enervation rear end in a top hat. It's basically the same thing, except obviously single-target and with Enervation instead of Fireball. Maximize Spell + Empower Spell (casting at either 6 or 7 depending on the slots you can spare) will cap it as a 9th level spell--4 base + 3 Maximized + 2 Empowered--grab a Rod of Quickening II and poo poo out 12 negative levels every turn. Pick up Thanoptic Spell, heartbreakingly reducing your level damage to 8/turn but allowing you to ruin anything that is also immune to negative energy.

I guess if you were a stupidly high level, you could kill pretty much anything in two turns by dropping an Enervation into a Rod-Maximized Energy Drain, and then following up with two Enervations the next turn.

The biggest problem with this is that it's a touch attack with a fort save and by the time you've got this build up to speed, most things you'd want to level drain are either tough to hit or have a respectable will save.

edit: ALSO rods work on the effective level of the spell, not the original level of the spell

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Danhenge posted:

The biggest problem with this is that it's a touch attack with a fort save and by the time you've got this build up to speed, most things you'd want to level drain are either tough to hit or have a respectable will save.

edit: ALSO rods work on the effective level of the spell, not the original level of the spell

Nope, no fort save, it`s just a ranged touch attack, which, by this level, most enemies are garbage at, because they`re so damned huge. It just runs out after 15 hours.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah that's a whole thing with the Incantrix and a bunch of metamagic spells and the feat that lets you reduce metamagic costs for a single spell, but that stuff isn't pathfinder legal anyway.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

berenzen posted:

Nope, no fort save, it`s just a ranged touch attack, which, by this level, most enemies are garbage at, because they`re so damned huge. It just runs out after 15 hours.

Whoops, I'm thinking of disintegrate

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

What's the best fillable character sheet? I'd like something with spell descriptions, especially. The link in the OP is busted.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Strontosaurus posted:

What's the best fillable character sheet? I'd like something with spell descriptions, especially. The link in the OP is busted.

http://www.dndsheets.net/sheet.php and http://www.myth-weavers.com/forumhome.php are popular with my group.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

The thing I'm most trying to find is one that has the class spell descriptions already printed out. Like range, cast time, and a sentence or two about what it does. I've seen it before in person but can't seem to track one down online.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Strontosaurus posted:

The thing I'm most trying to find is one that has the class spell descriptions already printed out. Like range, cast time, and a sentence or two about what it does. I've seen it before in person but can't seem to track one down online.

Dig through here maybe: http://www.nzcomputers.net/heroforge/defaultpath.asp

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Danhenge posted:

:raise: Where are you getting this from? I don't remember that being the case.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

My level 8 Wizard and party just finished the second book of Curse of The Crimson Throne, and we are looking to buy some things.I have received a 5,000 gold writ good for purchases in the city as a result of the number of lives we saved from the plague, and the GM has ruled we can use it to purchase Wondrous Items. I am eyeing purchasing a +3 Cloak of Resistance (4,500 gold) since I don't have one yet and a Cracked Dusty Rose Prism Ioun Stone for +1 to Initiative (500g) because Initiative owns.

Is there a limit to the number of Ioun Stones I can have circling around my head? I found a Scarlet Blue Sphere and the GM has ruled its +2 Int bonus will stack with my +4 Int Headband (we know it usually does not), but if I can only have a single stone I'll stick with the one that gives me +2 Int.

Summon Monster IV did a huge amount of work on the last boss of the book as well as her empowered form, I ended up summoning 6 Lantern Archons to each blast with two ranged touch DR-bypassing 1d6 rays every round by the end. This was the first time since starting the game that the summoned monsters had really paid off.

mp5 fucked around with this message at 09:08 on May 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

mp5 posted:

Is there a limit to the number of Ioun Stones I can have circling around my head?

No, knock yourself out.