Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

ethanol posted:

Wouldn't mind some Khan DLC. I would like more development on 'Khan, how the hell did you get in here!?' Also the whole Genghis khan reincarnate thing is intriguing.

I'm reading through the first book right now and just finished that chapter. Khan is so much more interesting in the book than he is in the game. Actually, they almost seem like completely different characters from what I've seen of him in the book so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mushball
May 23, 2012

ethanol posted:

Wouldn't mind some Khan DLC. I would like more development on 'Khan, how the hell did you get in here!?' Also the whole Genghis khan reincarnate thing is intriguing.

I would love to have more content featuring Khan as well particularly if we get to see more unexplained phenomena like the ghosts and anomalies during his chapter in 2033. I love seeing the more of the alien,incomprehensible effects that defy all explanation in the environment created by the nuclear exchange.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
I'd pay a fairly reasonable sum for an 'english voices by actual russians that can actually act' DLC.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012

PureRok posted:

I'm reading through the first book right now and just finished that chapter. Khan is so much more interesting in the book than he is in the game. Actually, they almost seem like completely different characters from what I've seen of him in the book so far.

Yeah, only time Game Kahn seems close to the one from the book is when he prays you through the ghosts.

And I would like more info on the DLC but god drat 4A are good at making games so I'll probably throw money at them anyway.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Shannow posted:

I'd pay a fairly reasonable sum for an 'english voices by actual russians that can actually act' DLC.

Play the game with Russian voice and English subs. They don't always match up but it's superior to the English dub in any case.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

KaneTW posted:

Play the game with Russian voice and English subs. They don't always match up but it's superior to the English dub in any case.

I'd say at least half of the dialogue is not subtitled, so that's not exactly an option. At least not for a first play-through.

I don't see the problem with the English dubs, though.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

The English voice track is great if you take a drink every time you hear Steve Blum.

EDIT: Don't actually do this. You will die.

Wiseblood fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 22, 2013

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
I have the level of Russian proficiency where I can understand 60% of anything spoken, and can usually understand the other 40% through context. Don't even try asking me to speak with any sort of pace beyond glacial though.

This made this game with Russian audio and English subs a beautiful, wonderful thing.

YMMV

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

PSA: Metro 2033's still $4.99 at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047T7UE4

This thread got me to pick up Metro 2033. I'm still very early in (just finished Bourbon's chapter) and I can't understand why this is not rated higher and everyone hasn't bought it already so they could burn bundles of money when their heating went out.

Bioshock Infinite's combat got somewhat repetitive for me and I burned out mid way, but the atmosphere and tension in this game has me on edge. There's also a lot to discover if you take your time and search through the levels after you complete them - filters allowing.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

v1ld posted:

This thread got me to pick up Metro 2033. I'm still very early in (just finished Bourbon's chapter) and I can't understand why this is not rated higher and everyone hasn't bought it already so they could burn bundles of money when their heating went out.

Bioshock Infinite's combat got somewhat repetitive for me and I burned out mid way, but the atmosphere and tension in this game has me on edge. There's also a lot to discover if you take your time and search through the levels after you complete them - filters allowing.

I feel the same way. I also burned out on bioshock infinite yet just couldn't put last light down. If you ask me, something is seriously fishy with the big rig reviewers these days.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

ethanol posted:

I feel the same way. I also burned out on bioshock infinite yet just couldn't put last light down. If you ask me, something is seriously fishy with the big rig reviewers these days.

This has been known for a while. Games journalism is 99% terrible and poo poo.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

v1ld posted:

Probably because the second to last level with the reactor nearly ruined the entire game because it was so loving terrible.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
The first time I heard English voices was watching that video of the dude 'stealthing' around knifing all the enemies in the face. The second I heard Steve Blums lovely loving voice coming out of the guy I was infinitely glad I played with Russian audio.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Bolow posted:

Probably because the second to last level with the reactor nearly ruined the entire game because it was so loving terrible.
Is that the place with the spawning amoebae things? Because gently caress. That. Place.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

Is that the place with the spawning amoebae things? Because gently caress. That. Place.

I just did an enlightened run of Metro 2033 and I had forgotten about them. What a monumental pain in the rear end that section was.

Edit: VV Shot at them once or twice but it didn't have any visual feedback so I thought it wasn't having an effect. Welp!

Ulvirich fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 22, 2013

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Did you guys figure out that you could shoot the amoeba spawning sphincters? Because it was easy and over in five minutes after I figure that out. Still a horrible level that made pretty much no sense at all.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 22, 2013

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Skill haven't finished yet. I'm "taking my time" (this game scares me and I'm a big baby). So far though really loving it, my fav part was in Venice when you have option to get drunk, come to, the bar's trashed, and the bartender is cursing you. I paid him the 100 rounds to cover the damages, which I easily made back at the shooting range.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

ethanol posted:

Did you guys figure out that you could shoot the amoeba spawning sphincters? Because it was easy and over in five minutes after I figure that out. Still a horrible level that made pretty much no sense at all.

They soaked a ton of bullets in Ranger mode and you usually run out halfway through the gauntlet. Oh yeah they also don't take damage from pipebombs or anything that doesn't explicitly fire bullets.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Bolow posted:

They soaked a ton of bullets in Ranger mode and you usually run out halfway through the gauntlet. Oh yeah they also don't take damage from pipebombs or anything that doesn't explicitly fire bullets.
And that area takes a massive, steaming poo poo all over your framerate to boot, which was my biggest problem with it. I need to replay it now that I got a computer that isn't from 2007.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

Doniazade posted:

Leather seats create sparks when struck with a knife, who knew.

You would rather them explode when slapped like in Goldeneye 64?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Regarding the Metro 2033 Amoeba talk, I think these two videos are a hilarious juxtaposition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLd-WulTFvk: An LP'er plays the scene as it is intended. As things grow increasingly hectic and the framerate drops, you can hear the tension in his voice as he begs the NPC (who tends to stop walking, so he can get swarmed by suicidal amoebas) to move faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLnCbLIqtHA: Somebody runs backwards and preemptively kills all of the Amoebas while awful Russian Music plays; the player and the NPC then stroll through the level.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I had no trouble with the amoebas. I killed most of them from the lift before ever going out there. It doesn't really matter if they're bullet sponges since you don't really need to shoot anything else after this and the game is more or less over.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Problem is on ranger mode you can't do what those videos are doing. You simply don't have enough ammo/health. I just dropped the difficulty to easy, picked up all the ammo in the area, then bumped the difficulty back to ranger. Mind-boggling section for sure.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Red Mundus posted:

Problem is on ranger mode you can't do what those videos are doing. You simply don't have enough ammo/health. I just dropped the difficulty to easy, picked up all the ammo in the area, then bumped the difficulty back to ranger. Mind-boggling section for sure.

I played it on ranger and had no trouble shooting all of the spawners. I believe each one was 10 shots with the pistol. Or was it 4... I just remember counting them off.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
The only issue I had with the Amoebas was it took me a while to realize I should be shooting at the spawners. That section of the game definitely sucks but its basically the end once you get passed it. If you don't have enough ammo on Ranger Hardcore to be able to finish it, idk what to tell you (I was quite low when I finished that section however).

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

PureRok posted:

I had no trouble with the amoebas. I killed most of them from the lift before ever going out there. It doesn't really matter if they're bullet sponges since you don't really need to shoot anything else after this and the game is more or less over.

Well that whole surface to tower section is pretty long but I guess you only do a a little bit of shooting at the base of it.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

ethanol posted:

Well that whole surface to tower section is pretty long but I guess you only do a a little bit of shooting at the base of it.

Yeah, once you're on the tower it's mostly just platforming.

The Amoeba section was loving awful design, though, I think we can all agree on that. I found it pretty easy once I figured out to shoot the spawners, but it was still pretty bad.

And you know what, despite that, I absolutely loved Metro 2033. It had all sorts of little niggling flaws like that but it was just so loving charming in a way I can't really articulate. The stealth was wonky as poo poo and some of the sections were poorly designed and the combat was occasionally weird but I couldn't put it down and it's one of the few console games I actually decided to purchase a copy of, instead of just renting.

Last Light still has a few silly bits, but by and large it's pretty much just '2033 but better', and has quickly become one of my favorite games of all time.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Mister Bates posted:

And you know what, despite that, I absolutely loved Metro 2033. It had all sorts of little niggling flaws like that but it was just so loving charming in a way I can't really articulate. The stealth was wonky as poo poo and some of the sections were poorly designed and the combat was occasionally weird but I couldn't put it down and it's one of the few console games I actually decided to purchase a copy of, instead of just renting.

I feel the same way. I was cursing like a mad-man at certain parts and even had to re-start an entire chapter 3 times due to game-stopping bugs but I'm ready for a second playthrough. It's an odd game for sure, but man it has a charm to it.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

bef posted:

The only issue I had with the Amoebas was it took me a while to realize I should be shooting at the spawners.

I actually saw a loading screen tip that said to shoot the amoeba spawners, though I remember seeing it WAY before getting to D6. Then when I finally got to that section I realized what it was talking about.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I think Metro 2033 and LL are games that are definitely more than the sum of their parts. In each game whenever I think of particular bits I go "Huh, I didn't really like that" or "I'm not looking forward to replaying that." but I always look back at the games and think they were great.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
So, on my second playthrough, I just noticed something really loving major in the Nazi station right after you escape that I can't believe I missed before. You can get your starting weapons back. They're on a rack on the wall in the guard post, to the right of the airlock you and Pavel have to open together. Found it entirely by accident, I just happened to notice a familiar-looking shape there while running past and upon closer examination, yep, there they were, my assault rifle and shotgun I had chosen in D6 at the very beginning of the game.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Mister Bates posted:

So, on my second playthrough, I just noticed something really loving major in the Nazi station right after you escape that I can't believe I missed before. You can get your starting weapons back. They're on a rack on the wall in the guard post, to the right of the airlock you and Pavel have to open together. Found it entirely by accident, I just happened to notice a familiar-looking shape there while running past and upon closer examination, yep, there they were, my assault rifle and shotgun I had chosen in D6 at the very beginning of the game.

Yup. anytime your guns are taken away you can find them again..

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Mister Bates posted:

No poo poo? :aaa: I've played through twice now and have never noticed this.

E: That makes me surprised that there isn't some sort of achievement for keeping your starting weapons throughout the game.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

PureRok posted:

No poo poo? :aaa: I've played through twice now and have never noticed this.

E: That makes me surprised that there isn't some sort of achievement for keeping your starting weapons throughout the game.

And miss out on that sweet, sweet saiga? No thanks!

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Mister Bates posted:

From some limited testing, I'm pretty sure that only works on Ranger mode.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
If I play on Ranger HC is it viable to use the revolver shotgun, and either the bastard SMG or the bolt action for the whole game? Like just how much more difficult would that be? I've already completed on Ranger Easy and was thinking it might be fun to sort of gimp myself by using only the crappy starting weapons for the majority of the game.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I don't see why it wouldn't be viable. You'd have a shotgun for mutants and the bastard should chew through humans well enough.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

Is this working as intended for some sort of special effect? Like I remember it typically happens with radiation, I believe, so I figured it could be something, but I though I'd ask anyways.

Like, I can clear it away, by scrolling the mouse wheel/switching weapons and switching back.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Scyron posted:

If I play on Ranger HC is it viable to use the revolver shotgun, and either the bastard SMG or the bolt action for the whole game? Like just how much more difficult would that be? I've already completed on Ranger Easy and was thinking it might be fun to sort of gimp myself by using only the crappy starting weapons for the majority of the game.

The Shambler (revolver shotgun) is a beast and is good throughout the game. The Bastard is actually a pretty great gun, all things considered; but good luck finding anywhere near enough ammo to keep your Valve (bolt-action rifle) supplied, though -- you can carry a max of 25 7.62 rounds on Ranger Hardcore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I managed to do a 2033 RHC with the shambler + bayonet over the autoshotty since it felt right.

So far my RHC run for M:LL has been pretty smooth, only to the prison escape with pavel but this seems really doable, given how much stealth I am abusing and doing no kills when possible, even when I can probably get away with it.

• Locked thread