Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

TaurusOxford posted:

Hmmm...i've had no problems with GGInfinite yet, but thanks for the heads up. Just curious, what's a good alternative Gunpla site for a North American just in case GGI gently caress me over as well?

I've never had any complaints ordering from Amazon. They almost always have the cheapest prices, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TaurusOxford posted:

There's something i've been meaning to ask for a while now. Would anyone be really opposed if I posted news of upcoming third-party Gundam kits? I ask now because there's big news recently that Daban will be making PG Strike Freedom Gundam, and I figured there may be some people who would be interested in what's going on in the China brands. If its a problem however I understand.

I am interested. When I was in thailand I saw tons of kits that are just kitbashes from 2-5 models. They looked really cool

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
If you're trying to get exclusive kits, dealing with Gentei Kits or Samuel Decal (who seems to be able to get the Japan and HK exclusives) both have good customer service. Samuel is also totally worth contacting if you want to get some custom decals printed, and the ones he makes are pretty good as well, albeit some are really wordy, if you know what I mean.

I'm not really interested in 3rd party kits, but I'm not at all opposed to them in the thread since they definitely are gunpla/plamo. That being said I'd like to see some more Kotobukiya and other manufacturers up in here.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I'm partial to robot4less myself.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I appreciate the permission. I'll try not to constantly flood the thread with it, but here's the big thing that everyone is talking about :

Daban Model PG Strike Freedom - Coming in June

http://imgur.com/cvFlqTZ,Qu0jtB1,BVkX3Nl

Daban has a habit of having a "first batch exclusive" into all kits they make, like MG EX-S coming with additional orange armor and MG Epyon coming with orange heat rod parts. The current rumor with PG Strike Freedom is that the first batch will come with all gold chrome parts.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 07:08 on May 22, 2013

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Midjack posted:

I'm partial to robot4less myself.

Me too. And if you're buying off amazon, it's actually their listing about half the time, anyways.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
I'm super partial to HLJ myself. With the yen so low right now, the prices are great. With the fact that I often buy in bulk and have them hold my kits in their warehouse until I have 5 or 6 to ship at a time, the shipping becomes really negligible compared to the markup for kits in the states along with the high cost of shipping that seems to accompany it.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
HobbyWave is my definite favorite, though that's because when I shop these days I am buying ~35 kits for Anime Club events. Flat rate shipping definitely is a nice thing! The prices in general at HobbyWave aren't bad either.

It's a huge hassle, though, that hobbywave.com and https://www.hobbywave.com have different shopping cart cookies. I have been thrown off by that so many times.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
AmiAmi is always solid if you're willing to order from Japan. They have good prices and the dollar yen exchange rate is as good it's been in years :shobon:

Dre2Dee2 fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 23, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What's it at now?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
$1 = 103.20 yen.

To put that in perspective,

just last year a dollar was only worth 80 yen.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Faltion posted:

I'm super partial to HLJ myself. With the yen so low right now, the prices are great. With the fact that I often buy in bulk and have them hold my kits in their warehouse until I have 5 or 6 to ship at a time, the shipping becomes really negligible compared to the markup for kits in the states along with the high cost of shipping that seems to accompany it.

Yeah, they're good too when you can bulk up the order but not so great for dribs and drabs. HLJ is my go-to for stuff I can't get from R4L or my local stores.

tokyo-hunter appears to be out of business; he hadn't updated the site for a couple of months and now it's "undergoing maintenance" for almost a month so safe to say he's probably not coming back.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I use a site called ishop2go. It's nothing special, but they're fairly cheap shipping to Australia from HK and they have a pretty good selection of models. The only problem I've had with them was I ordered 2 models (Sinanju MG and FA Unicorn MG, yes, my wallet burst into flames) and it took them a month to get here. Because I ordered them on the 27th of December. :shobon: But otherwise they're great.

I've also bought models I couldn't find in other places off amazon sellers (because amazon themselves don't ship certain arbitrary things to Australia). I generally just pick the seller with the highest approval rating with the largest amount of reviews.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I recently noticed that dalong had a segment for Kotobukiya kits, and checked it out.

What the hell happened to the SRX's head? :stare:

EDIT: V Nah, the head is just small.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 23, 2013

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

BlitzBlast posted:

I recently noticed that dalong had a segment for Kotobukiya kits, and checked it out.

I think it's just leaning back a bit and so the head is kind of obscured. I don't know why it looks like it doesn't have any eyes, though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

Oh, that's easy to fix. All you need is a muscle car.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

On that note, I would buy the poo poo out of a 1:100 Megas XLR.

But only if it had all the hidden weapons, Jammer included.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
How do you guys like real grade 1/144s? I've stuck to 1/100 because 1/60 were too expensive, and the only 1/144s I had were utter cheap crap (I think that was gundam wing, before the RGs hit). I like the quality of the master grade stuff, and I've heard real grade is a decent compromise.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Meow Tse-tung posted:

How do you guys like real grade 1/144s? I've stuck to 1/100 because 1/60 were too expensive, and the only 1/144s I had were utter cheap crap (I think that was gundam wing, before the RGs hit). I like the quality of the master grade stuff, and I've heard real grade is a decent compromise.

Outside of the Zeta Gundam, the Real Grade kits have all been pretty top-notch. I love my Char's Zaku and Titans Mk. II. The problem is the fact that Real Grade kits have as many if not more parts as their Master Grade counterparts, but at the same time try to cram them all into a much smaller frame. It's basically nothing but microscopic, fiddly pieces.

Also, trust me, 1/144 kits have gotten significantly better in the fifteen-plus years since those no-grade Wing kits came out. HGUC is a really solid line if you want something simpler than Master Grade and at a smaller scale.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Mecha Gojira posted:

Outside of the Zeta Gundam

Damnit, zeta stuff is like 90% of what I wanted :(. I guess the 1/100 zetas are still the best cost/quality compromises, then? I'll give the HGUC's a look, but I was hoping for something in the MG quality class, at least.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Meow Tse-tung posted:

The old 1/144 Wing kits are garbage compared to recent stuff. Hell, High Grades today are superior in poseability and detail to early Master Grades.

If you do want a RG Zeta, just don't try to transform it. It's not worth the hassle or the risk of breaking pieces. The HGUC Zeta is a solid kit as well, and is FAR more stable since its a partsformer.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

BlitzBlast posted:

EDIT: V Nah, the head is just small.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRPxU2Z3LyA
It was always that small. You're just used to seeing it SD because, well, that's all anyone's seen it as.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
With the RG GP01 Zephyranthes and the Fb coming out, along with the HGUC Gerbera Tetra, and P-Bandai exclusives of Gato's Gelgoog and Zaku II. I am really hoping we get some sort of new GP02 at some point. After a new Sazabi, of course.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Meow Tse-tung posted:

If you follow my posts back to my first few in the thread some months back, I did a comparison of the RG and HG Freedom Gundams that should give you some idea of the quality to expect in one.

Bloody Pom posted:

But only if it had all the hidden weapons, Jammer included.

Why settle for the Jammer when you can have Super Destructor Mode? (You heard the man, kids. Super Destructor Mode)

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you follow my posts back to my first few in the thread some months back, I did a comparison of the RG and HG Freedom Gundams that should give you some idea of the quality to expect in one.

HG Freedom isn't really a fair example for current HG quality. The kit has some lovely proportions and lacks Freedom's most distinguishing feature.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TaurusOxford posted:

HG Freedom isn't really a fair example for current HG quality. The kit has some lovely proportions and lacks Freedom's most distinguishing feature.

Might want to re-read Meow's post. He was asking about real-grades, not just 1/144's in general :ssh:.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

To be fair none of the Freedom kits include beam spam effect parts as a pack-in. Serious question, what is the most distinctive feature? I always thought it was the wings.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Bloody Pom posted:

But only if it had all the hidden weapons, Jammer Yamato included.

:colbert:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Midjack posted:

To be fair none of the Freedom kits include beam spam effect parts as a pack-in. Serious question, what is the most distinctive feature? I always thought it was the wings.

You can't spread out the wings and use Full Burst mode at the same time.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Got 00 Raiser MG yesterday with some birthday money, he's a great kit. He's really stable even with the plane backpack and his giant-rear end sword strapped to his arm, and he looks great. I just wish they gave me 3 LED kits to go in all the spots they can go in (chest and both shoulders). My only problems with the kit were the two big green transparent disks in his legs would not stay in, so I had to glue them in, and his hands are a bit flopsy.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
You actually need 5 LEDs for 00 Raiser. The 0 Raiser takes two for the wings.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

My god, the technology. I'm hella enjoying this thing.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Nu vKa's on it's way, so since MG V2 and MG DX are never happening, and since I am not nearly good enough at painting to pursue my dream of a custom set of MG SEED kits, my planned MG collection is complete! :toot:

Now I can finally give my wallet a break.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I'm currently working again and have a lot of work to do gunpla wise still despite my progress.

Sinanju Stein "GaoFighGar" Custom
SD Genesic GaoGaiGar
FA Unicorn Gundam
2.0 Zeta
ZZ Gundam
Tallgeese
Tallgeese II
Wing Gundam EW
And finally, PG GP01fb.

I'm turning into you guys. If Bandai releases any more Wing kits this year i'm hosed.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im at least 45+ master grades backlogged right now
Since coming back from Japan its grown and im afraid to count.

If I call it an investment im still way ahead of bitcoiners :toot:

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 26, 2013

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Come on guys, post pics of those glorious backlogs!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

They would,

Midjack posted:

As long as I exist you can feel better about yourself. I bought out a couple of people who were moving away and gave me a deal, added to my own substantial holdings I have in excess of 200 kits, most of which are untouched in the box:

but Midjack has everyone beat. Except Bimmi, I think?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

TaurusOxford posted:

You actually need 5 LEDs for 00 Raiser. The 0 Raiser takes two for the wings.

:stonk: I forgot about those 2. Didn't help I was building the 0 Raiser at like 11:30pm. That's a lot of LEDs.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Haha yeah I've seen Midjack's collection. 2 of the Eva models from the 2nd picture there are sitting on my shelf right now, he sold me a few.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
Yeah even at the rate I'm buying kits, I only have all the shelves of a 2'x4' bookcase full of backlog, as well as a couple random kits that don't fit anywhere like a 1/144 Kshatriya, a MG Rick Dom and a MG Sinanju Stein on top of all the kits currently in progress like my Gelgoog Jager and a M61A5 Semovente and the random built kits waiting in the 'I'll eventually paint these' queue. Now the 10 kits either waiting to ship or are on preorder that I don't have space for, well... :ssh:

Now just thinking about it means I'm going to have to go in there tomorrow and clean out my closet to make everything tidy and fit.

• Locked thread