Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
I seem to recall that the Ford diesel with EGR has a bad habit of cooking itself to death if driven hard at all - maybe the fleet operator is trying to alleviate the problem?

drat it, new page:

Have a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgRyFoQHhSQ

And an image

(I'm not sure if there's an aluminium can in there, or if they're just using the hose clamps themselves as patches)

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dakotaboy88
Apr 28, 2007

Here's one of the local police cars just down the street from me. My buddy's kid was kind enough to pose for photos so that I wouldn't have to look like a troll taking photos in front of the cop's house. She's a cutie, but drat, that's some ridiculous stuff to put on a cop car.

Dakotaboy88
Apr 28, 2007

Powershift posted:

26" wheels on a classic truck :(

Stick some 18" black Bullitt wheels on that truck and it would be perfect!

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
I would've thought the Decepticons would be selling energon cubes on the street corner to innocent transformers for the ultimate buzz. :colbert:

Dakotaboy88
Apr 28, 2007

Octopus Magic posted:

I would've thought the Decepticons would be selling energon cubes on the street corner to innocent transformers for the ultimate buzz. :colbert:

This is the first I've noticed that this car has the Decepticons logo. All of the other cop cars in town have the Autobots logo on the hood in white. This Decepticons car is the one that is always parked in front of the school. Huh...

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Dakotaboy88 posted:

This is the first I've noticed that this car has the Decepticons logo. All of the other cop cars in town have the Autobots logo on the hood in white. This Decepticons car is the one that is always parked in front of the school. Huh...

I cannot for the life of me tell if you're serious or not, so please clarify: Somebody in your local PD made the decision to paint logos from a line of children's toys onto the hoods of fleet vehicles? And nobody in town had an issue with that particular use of taxpayer dollars?

I mean, I think it's hilarious if true, but it amazes me that there was not a shitstorm of epic proportions.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

Coasterphreak posted:

I cannot for the life of me tell if you're serious or not, so please clarify: Somebody in your local PD made the decision to paint logos from a line of children's toys onto the hoods of fleet vehicles? And nobody in town had an issue with that particular use of taxpayer dollars?

I mean, I think it's hilarious if true, but it amazes me that there was not a shitstorm of epic proportions.
Their DARE vehicle has an ejector seat, I think the logos are the least concern at this point. "Don't get high on drugs, kids, get high on being propelled out of the roof by this here gas explosion!"

Dakotaboy88
Apr 28, 2007

Coasterphreak posted:

I'm serious, this town has decided that painting their cops cars like Transformers, or whatever else they feel like, is a good thing. People complain about all the money spent on cop cars, but don't seem concerned enough to do much more than gossip about it. I'll get a photo of one of the regular Autobot cars when I can.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
I wonder if they'd have a problem with the "To Punish and Enslave" lettering. :tinfoil:

Dakotaboy88
Apr 28, 2007

Boomerjinks posted:

I wonder if they'd have a problem with the "To Punish and Enslave" lettering. :tinfoil:

As long as it's flashy looking, with an American flag nearby, they would be OK with it.

...also putting on the tinfoil hat.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Coasterphreak posted:

This was bound to happen when Gen X managed to wrest control of society from the Baby Boomers. And in one town, that day has arrived. :getin:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Holdbrooks posted:

Saw this on the way out of the padres game in san diego Saturday.

STi amber lamp

I'm sorry but anyone that wouldn't drive the poo poo out of an ambulance with a hood scoop just isn't cut out for the ambulance business.:colbert:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Holdbrooks posted:

Saw this on the way out of the padres game in san diego Saturday.

STi amber lamp

I have seen many of these in San Diego.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/southerncalifornian/3648079393/in/set-72157600579414696

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Dakotaboy88 posted:

Here's one of the local police cars just down the street from me. My buddy's kid was kind enough to pose for photos so that I wouldn't have to look like a troll taking photos in front of the cop's house. She's a cutie, but drat, that's some ridiculous stuff to put on a cop car.

Going to sound like the devil's advocate here, but I'm ok with this. Dare officers here spend a good chunk of their time going to elementary and middle schools, showing kids the cars and doing anti drug, and pro police education. So anything that gets the kids attention is good. Of course it would look like 5th graders designed it.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I like the idea of the cops having some fun with interesting patrol cars. I'd rather that funding go into hiring more officers to patrol for real crime and maybe improve the response time for emergency calls though.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Dakotaboy88 posted:

Decepticon logo is the wrong colour :argh:

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Dakotaboy88 posted:

I totally agree! I can't stand all the greyed out colors that are so popular these days, or the colors that only come alive in certain light.

To contribute, I found this on my phone. I saw this in a gas station in Eagan, MN a year and a half ago and forgot I had a photo of it. I think it was a Fiero, re-skinned in tool box panels. I didn't get a pic of the front, but it had Integra headlights sandwiched in between panels just like the tail lights. It was certainly an attention grabbing conversation piece, but not in a good way.

I've seen this around the western suburbs of Minneapolis. It's actually a very butch woman that drives it. I have more pics of it somewhere, and there's a URL on it, but I can't remember it at the moment. I'll see what I can dig up.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

My inner 5th grader is calling you a *looks both ways* butthole! That thing owns and I'm pretty sure growing up on a Naval Air Station I drew some cars with unnecessary caution triangles and US roundels.

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

Ask me about my torrid love affair with Geico :ese:

Toucan Sam posted:

Some of us actually own lowriders.

Acid ectched windows, Luxor wheels, mini truck that scrapes anything over an inch tall - check.

As do I. It is a dying breed where I live (Not counting lowered civics and garbage like that). The daily:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

veedubfreak posted:

I think what people are missing here is that this is not a dually. It's a standard bed truck with dual rear wheels that stick out past the arch and are useful for nothing other than throwing poo poo tons of rocks at the vehicles behind it. If I saw this on the road, I'd be likely to start tossing pennies out the sunroof.

Looks like an actual dually without the fenders, look closer.

The standard fenders probably dont fit with the truck that low and they havent made new ones yet or something.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Poisonlizard posted:

Going to sound like the devil's advocate here, but I'm ok with this. Dare officers here spend a good chunk of their time going to elementary and middle schools, showing kids the cars and doing anti drug, and pro police education. So anything that gets the kids attention is good. Of course it would look like 5th graders designed it.

Police use asset forfeiture laws to seize people's houses and cars and anything else they drat well please. They then say, "prove it wasn't paid for with drug money". :smugdog: The owner doesn't have to be convicted of anything and they still lose their property. Then the police drive around in their newly acquired vehicles with the DARE logo painted all over them. I can't say that those particular vehicles in that one town were seized vehicles but a lot of police forces' DARE vehicles are seized this way. It's complete bullshit.

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 09:25 on May 21, 2013

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

FIRST TIME posted:

Police use asset forfeiture laws to seize people's houses and cars and anything else they drat well please. They then say, "prove it wasn't paid for with drug money". :smugdog: The owner doesn't have to be convicted of anything and they still lose their property. Then the police drive around in their newly acquired vehicles with the DARE logo painted all over them. I can't say that those particular vehicles in that one town were seized vehicles but a lot of police forces' DARE vehicles are seized this way. It's complete bullshit.

I don't think that's how it works, but ok.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Wasabi the J posted:

Depending how banana republic the jurisdiction, yes it can.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Wasabi the J posted:

Unfortunately yes, it is. Asset seizure laws are the best worst thing out there.

Don't carry around more than a few grand in cash, by the way - all they have to do is say it's suspected drug money after stopping/searching you for any reason and you're never seeing it again.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Coasterphreak posted:

The "fleet" in question consists of about 3 vehicles, so there wasn't too much of an outcry. It's a pretty small town.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

The DARE program is a load of bullshit too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

The DARE program is a load of bullshit too.

I changed schools in 5th grade and the school I left had not done DARE yet, the school I entered had already done it. I was a loving outsider because of that bullshit.

Probably why I abuse so many substances these days.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Probably why I abuse so many substances these days.

If anything, DARE increases substance abuse once kids realize that DARE is full of poo poo and smoking just one single joint isn't going to irreparably ruin your life like DARE said it was going to.

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now
I'm surprised it doesn't say ex-wife and then in tiny letters, "This is all I have left"

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Wasabi the J posted:

My hometown of Saginaw, MI has a certain notorious sheriff who obtained a mustang that way: http://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/index.ssf/2012/04/saginaw_sheriff_federspiel_tes.html

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Guinness posted:

If anything, DARE increases substance abuse once kids realize that DARE is full of poo poo and smoking just one single joint isn't going to irreparably ruin your life like DARE said it was going to.

The first thing I think when I see the DARE logo is, Drugs Are Really Exciting!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
DARE actually increases tobacco and alcohol use by an average of 30%.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

I changed schools in 5th grade and the school I left had not done DARE yet, the school I entered had already done it. I was a loving outsider because of that bullshit.

Seriously, it was that big a deal?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

CharlesM posted:

Seriously, it was that big a deal?

When you're the only kid in school who isn't hitting the crack pipe over lunchbreak, or mainlining black tar heroin in the back row of the classroom during Math, I imagine it probably would make you feel a little excluded.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

rarbatrol posted:

My hometown of Saginaw, MI has a certain notorious sheriff who obtained a mustang that way: http://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/index.ssf/2012/04/saginaw_sheriff_federspiel_tes.html

Reason 457 why I never trusted a Saginaw cop.

I wonder if this was before or after his people shot an unarmed homeless man to death on a street corner.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

I'd been looking for pictures a while back and never found it, but five years or so ago the anti-gang task force that the local cops ran used the COBRA logo on all the cars. As in, GI Joe COBRA.

This included a really large edition of said logo on the tracked APC that the sheriff at the time decided to blow money on.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Powershift posted:

More here. http://autobotanik.livejournal.com/34899.html

Part of me is scared.

Another part of me wants to ship these guys a seacan full of rusted out muscle cars and put their skills to good use.

Part of me wants them to fix my truck.

Managed to put it between those trees @ 45mph. Oncoming car drifted into my lane and I had nowhere to go but offroad. :(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Managed to put it between those trees @ 45mph. Oncoming car drifted into my lane and I had nowhere to go but offroad. :(
That sucks. Did he stop?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Iridium posted:

This included a really large edition of said logo on the tracked APC that the sheriff at the time decided to blow money on.

When Homeland Security is giving you money to stop the terrorists, you hot to spend it somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

:lol:MARINES:lol:

Grabbed a photo of some sweet custom graphx on my way in to work. It was a lot more off-center than it looks in the picture.
(yeah, my car needs a bath)

I'm from OKC and the tornado went through a buddy's neighborhood a bit south of me. That's a shot of his backyard taken from across the street - he found a silver Lexus on his back porch. It had crashed into his daughter's Barbie Power Wheels truck and now all anyone can do is make jokes about proving the wreck wasn't his daughter's fault.