Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!
Seconding the recommendation for Oresama Teacher pretty much forever (or until everyone in this thread is reading it.) It's so lacking in romance that a lot of folks who like shoujo complain about that.

Bromance, however... :kamina:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check them out. Oresama Teacher looks pretty cool.

Tobiath
Nov 4, 2006
kaicho wa maid-sama 81 is out, and thus we begin the final arc of the series

twinight
Aug 25, 2004

coathat posted:

This is a better link since she uses several different pen names. http://www.mangaupdates.com/authors.html?id=715

Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan is pretty good and really really sad.

Sukima Shiki is good too and a neat premise for an anthology.

Tetsugaku Letra only has a couple of chapter translated but I'm really liking it.

Resurrecting this to point out that Maigo just dropped the entire first volume of Tetsugaku Letra out of nowhere. Probably be up on readers at some point, but the direct link is here.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Aoi Hana is ending in July, apparently: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-05-08/aoi-hana/sweet-blue-flowers-yuri-manga-to-end-in-july. and it got confusing with J-manga going out of business but apparently Fumi and Akira are broken up as of chapter 50?

hopefully the ending is worthwhile and hopefully this means she can actually try to get to the ending of Hourou Musuko too (I'm so ready for both of these things to end).

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I wonder if the group that was scanlating it before will pick it up again for the last bit.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
According to Lililicious' site, no; apparently even if it wasn't going to be licensed again (they don't seem to know) it is apparently being scanlated by someone else... though all of the usual yuri scanlation places I've checked haven't mentioned it.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Cityinthesea posted:

Aoi Hana is ending in July, apparently: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-05-08/aoi-hana/sweet-blue-flowers-yuri-manga-to-end-in-july. and it got confusing with J-manga going out of business but apparently Fumi and Akira are broken up as of chapter 50?

hopefully the ending is worthwhile and hopefully this means she can actually try to get to the ending of Hourou Musuko too (I'm so ready for both of these things to end).

Huh, interesting. While I haven't read the last few chapters, spoilers made them sound more like mid-story drama than anything too close to an ending. It will be interesting to see where Shimura takes the story over the last couple of chapters, but I can't help but worry it'll be rushed - feels like there wouldn't be enough time toget them back together in a realistic or at least engaging manner. And if they don't get together, it still feels a bit fast - given that their friendship and relationship have been the focus of the entire story, I feel like the kind of huge changes it has been through during the past dozen or so chapters would need more than a couple of chapters to 'sort out' as it were, both from their characters' POV and structurally, story-wise. Oh well, guess we'll see how it goes.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Cityinthesea posted:

According to Lililicious' site, no; apparently even if it wasn't going to be licensed again (they don't seem to know) it is apparently being scanlated by someone else... though all of the usual yuri scanlation places I've checked haven't mentioned it.

If you want the last couple of english scans, they are here.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Aoi Hana ending in two issues is giving me such a weird mix of emotions that I'm having trouble even trying to articulate any of them, so I think I'll leave it at that for now.

This is much more straightforward though:
I love the anime version of Paradise Kiss to bits, it's charming, funny, witty, romantic, believable, relatable and is one of my all-around favorites.

But I have a confession: I hadn't read the original manga, it was on my "to read" list since finishing up the series a while back, but I kept putting it off and figured that since I knew the gist of the story I could hold off on reading it.

After finally picking up all three volumes I can safely say that my opinions of the anime haven't changed. But, holy poo poo god drat the manga is so fantastically good that I almost can't believe it! Yazawa's art is incredible, the pacing is perfect and I'm absolutely in love with all of the fourth wall breaking jokes that are spread throughout it.

So, don't be a dumbass like me, read Paradise Kiss. Like right now.

coathat
May 21, 2007

It's always important to remember that 99% of the time the manga is better than the anime.

New Taiyou no Ie. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Taiyou-no-Ie/Vol-005-Ch-020--One-Way-Street?id=163836 So many great faces and eyes this chapter.

The vintage manga tumblr has had a bunch of cool Moto Hagio pics up lately.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Couple of new chapters:

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun 41

Kimi ni Todoke 79

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

Couple of new chapters:

Kimi ni Todoke 79

Well that was a really cute chapter, thinking about the future and holy crap did Kazehaya get slapped by his dad? and he's yelling at Sawako!? :stare: That's not the sort of thing I expected to have happen at the end of a KnT chapter.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

KnT: Pretty sure he's yelling at his son. The question is Why?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Baron Snow posted:

KnT: Pretty sure he's yelling at his son. The question is Why?

Isn't it obvious? His dad wants him to go to college.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Chapter 21 of Everybody Love Mao http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Taiyou-no-Ie/Vol-006-Ch-021--The-Girl-Next-Door?id=165203

I'm super pissed that magio didn't get the special edition to scan. Good chapter as always.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

coathat posted:

Chapter 21 of Everybody Love Mao http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Taiyou-no-Ie/Vol-006-Ch-021--The-Girl-Next-Door?id=165203

I'm super pissed that magio didn't get the special edition to scan. Good chapter as always.

It always amazed me how much she manages to fit into each chapter, even given that they're fairly long monthly chapters.

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007
This may fall more under guilty pleasure, but are there any recommendations for things with a similar feel to "Prunus Girl"? not necessarily about crossdressing characters (or not, it's just not important), but with a humorous main couple/cast where the relationships don't develop agonizingly slowly along boring "will they/won't they" lines with stupid misunderstandings. Aikawa and Maki were a fun couple from the get-go, whether or not either of them said the word for 42 chapters, and the story was about the humor in their relationship and those around them. I'm looking for more interesting things like that.

I'm already reading Bonnouji which I guess has a similar feel, though in a slightly different vein (more about situational than relational comedy), so I guess i'm just looking for something else with a similar no-one-gets-hurt lighthearted comedy/romance feel.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
And speaking of Bonnouji, has it been dropped by the group that was scanlating it?

Zandracon
Oct 21, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

And speaking of Bonnouji, has it been dropped by the group that was scanlating it?

Pretty sure the group that's doing it just does a shitton of series, they'll probably get around to finishing it eventually, it's still listed as an ongoing project on their site. Also looks like it's finished running in Japan, with this volume as its last.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So how many volumes does that make all told, 3 or 4?

Zandracon
Oct 21, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

So how many volumes does that make all told, 3 or 4?

Looks like 3.

Also been reading through 14-sai no Koi, it is way too sweet.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

teamdest posted:

This may fall more under guilty pleasure, but are there any recommendations for things with a similar feel to "Prunus Girl"? not necessarily about crossdressing characters (or not, it's just not important), but with a humorous main couple/cast where the relationships don't develop agonizingly slowly along boring "will they/won't they" lines with stupid misunderstandings. Aikawa and Maki were a fun couple from the get-go, whether or not either of them said the word for 42 chapters, and the story was about the humor in their relationship and those around them. I'm looking for more interesting things like that.

I'm already reading Bonnouji which I guess has a similar feel, though in a slightly different vein (more about situational than relational comedy), so I guess i'm just looking for something else with a similar no-one-gets-hurt lighthearted comedy/romance feel.

I would recommend Usotsuki Lily, which incidentally DOES include cross-dressing. The main characters pretty much get together right away while their friends go through various transitions. While it can get exceedingly stupid/silly at times, the author acknowledges that it is, when it is, and breaks the fourth wall constantly. For example, a running gag is that even though the seasons and holidays roll by and come around again, the characters are aware and grouse about the fact they have remained in the same grade of high school the entire time.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Zandracon posted:

Also been reading through 14-sai no Koi, it is way too sweet.

I just started reading this, and I love it except for the creeper teacher, ugh that is so gross.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

I Watson posted:

I would recommend Usotsuki Lily, which incidentally DOES include cross-dressing. The main characters pretty much get together right away while their friends go through various transitions. While it can get exceedingly stupid/silly at times, the author acknowledges that it is, when it is, and breaks the fourth wall constantly. For example, a running gag is that even though the seasons and holidays roll by and come around again, the characters are aware and grouse about the fact they have remained in the same grade of high school the entire time.

I think this series is hilarious. There really isn't much of a 4th wall left, it's been smashed to bits.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
I always complain that too many good romance stories end when the main characters get together. Usotuski Lily settles that bit in the first chapter and the rest is just seeing the main characters get used to each other's quirks (okay, En's quirks really). Then once they're settled, the author moved on to their friends and classmates and family. There's a wide variety of love stories to be found, with the occasional visit back to the established couples to poke at silly relationship troubles there.

Really it's very tame about the crossdressing, and handles it in a light-hearted manner. Even if you generally don't like gender-bendy stuff, give this a shot.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That post is SO ANIME. You can HEAR the record scratch after the first paragraph.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Things are moving right along in a new chapter of Taiyou no Ie. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Taiyou-no-Ie/Vol-006-Ch-022--Branching-Paths?id=165951

Volume 11 of Uso Lilly has been pretty good and I guess it's true that Taiyou won't get a real girlfriend until his second year of highschool (never).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I somehow missed a whole bunch of new Aoi Hana chapters. I've forgotten most of these characters besides Akira and Fumi :( Maybe I should re-read it once it's finished.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
That's kinda been the problem for both her manga (HM and AH) is that she keeps introducing side characters and then focusing on them for a fairly annoying length of time. It's also why her manga has super slow pacing.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Yeah I've pretty much given up on both of them. These new chapters of Aoi Hana were pretty bad and Wandering Son has been going nowhere for the longest time.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Yeah, this latest AH chapter doesn't look too great. Don't read if you don't want to get spoiled: It feels like 9/10ths of the manga so far was spent on Fumi's characterization and development, as well as on the secondary characters - which I didn't mind at the time, since I liked them and assumed it wouldn't detract from the main story - and now that it was finally time to focus on Akira, it just sort of ends instead. Sure, Akira has gotten some attention throughout the previous chapters, but her obvious issues with love/attraction (which got a lot of readers speculating she was asexual) were obviously left mostly unexplored, with their relationship a seemingly obvious reason for that - it would, after all, make an ideal framing for that plot. Instead, we got another few chapters of pretty much no progress there, with Akira almost an unwilling participant in the whole thing, and then a bunch of stuff happening the past few chapters, with little to no explanation or introspection from her to be seen.

Akira's confession wasn't exactly flattering for her, and regardless of whether chapter 52 goes with them getting back together, unrequited love from Akira's side, or both of them moving on, the ending will feel really underwhelming. Looking at how the story progresses the last few chapters (especially the past ~6 - 7) compared to the 45 before them, the clash in pacing is immense, and really really noticeable/detrimental - it honestly doesn't feel like the same manga at all, with so many of the small things and scenes that really draws me into Shimura's works missing and skipped over entirely. I've seen a lot of people complain about Akira being terrible after this chapter, and while again the confession wasn't pretty, I think it's just as much a reaction to the fact that she feels pretty alien and unknowable due to how little about her feelings and views are actually conveyed to the reader. Hell, most of what IS known is pretty old material at this point, and easily forgotten (while the reader is frequently reminded of Fumi's feelings and their development, even in this very chapter), and it all ends up feeling very unsatisfying.

We'll see if Shimura can magic up something out of left-field for the final chapter, though I doubt it. I'd be very surprised if the ending was due to anything other than it getting cancelled, since an issue I and many others often have with Shimura's stories (including most of AH) is pretty much the opposite of this - excessive amount of time spent on the most minute details of the characters' relationships, including the huge casts of side-characters. Also, apparently chapters 50 - 52 make up the final volume, with previous volumes being 5+ (7 average) chapters, which makes me more inclined to believe it - especially since chapter 50 is really short, with 50+51 not even totaling 50 pages.

pepsigloworm
Mar 11, 2005
Moo
Now that I finally found this thread I'm disappointed there isn't more discussion of Kamisama Hajimemashita ! I'm happy to hear that Funimation is releasing the anime in North America, even though it's not nearly as good as the manga is. I'm pretty new to manga and anime in general but I think Kamisama has some nice artwork and the future story line isn't blatantly obvious. I also like that the female main character isn't completely useless and for the most part is able to do things for herself. It's irritating how many female leads have zero self-esteem and second guess themselves constantly!

coathat
May 21, 2007

It's ok but I haven't been keeping up with the manga lately since its one of the few Viz series that dosent get a digital release.

Tobiath
Nov 4, 2006
taiyou no ie just shifted into my new favorite shoujo i think. i like how magyo and daiki work and am kind of excited for him to start school with her. and i really really want mao and sugimoto to become friends, im not too fond of the "fighting over the guy we both like so we can only be rivals" thing

pepsigloworm posted:

Now that I finally found this thread I'm disappointed there isn't more discussion of Kamisama Hajimemashita ! I'm happy to hear that Funimation is releasing the anime in North America, even though it's not nearly as good as the manga is. I'm pretty new to manga and anime in general but I think Kamisama has some nice artwork and the future story line isn't blatantly obvious. I also like that the female main character isn't completely useless and for the most part is able to do things for herself. It's irritating how many female leads have zero self-esteem and second guess themselves constantly!

its a decent story, and i really genuinely like the main character, but it feels like theres something...i dont know? missing? i can't quite put my finger on it though

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

coathat posted:

Yeah I've pretty much given up on both of them. These new chapters of Aoi Hana were pretty bad and Wandering Son has been going nowhere for the longest time.

Apparently the latest Wandering Son, or second latest (which hasn't been scanlated yet), has a large jump in time; like 6-8 months or something crazy like that.

It seems like she wants to wrap up both of her series for whatever reason.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
I kind of don't want Wandering Son to end, because when it does, nothing is going to really fill the void any time soon. It's really the one series I can take comfort in right now, since there's a lot to be said for having characters whose problems you can really relate to.

Transsexuality is really a topic that doesn't get covered well in pretty much any medium, especially fictional works.

At least with Aoi Hana, it's in a pretty well established genre with a number of series I'm equally fond of and new ones popping up all the time.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 1, 2013

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I really do get where you're coming from, but on the other hand isn't it 10 years old by now? At the very least I'd want her to get Shuu out of high school because she's never once thought of actually doing things about transitioning, and I suspect the all boys school thing is part of that.

It's just super aggrevating because Shuu has never once asked Yuki how she did it :argh:.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
In the new chapter of Bonnouji, it once again reiterates the philosophy it had preached about since its first chapter: don't make your senior co-worker give speeches at your wedding.

More seriously though, I loved how lighthearted and unstressed this whole manga is. It remains :3: the Manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

toanoradian posted:

In the new chapter of Bonnouji, it once again reiterates the philosophy it had preached about since its first chapter: don't make your senior co-worker give speeches at your wedding.

More seriously though, I loved how lighthearted and unstressed this whole manga is. It remains :3: the Manga.

I thought we were gonna suddenly shift into Drama Modetm for a moment there. And perhaps it did, but only in a very Bonouji-like way. Love how it is about two people who legitimately really like each other and continue to interact in a way that people that do, do.
------------
Takemiya Jin has a new(?) short series called Seasons that I just saw show up, haven't even had a chance to read it yet, but hopefully it is as good as her other stuff.

Got my copy of Kisses, Sighs and Cherry-blossom Pink the other day, and as much as I like it (and I really do) my minor complaints about it still remain: the main story is the best one, the others aren't very interesting, and the main story's characters look almost identical to the leads from Girl Friends. Regardless, since I can't think of any other yuri series at all that have an English print edition available I'm glad I bought it.

Regarding Aoi Hana ending, I'm starting to think that as much as I love her characters, characterization, and artwork she has some serious flaws with her actual storytelling and it bums me out.

And on that note: not one, but two chapters for Wandering Son just got released today as well.

Also, also: Fantagraphics Wandering Son vol.4 just came out too.

Edit to add that Viz now has the first volume of the Lovely Complex manga on their digital store, hopefully the other volumes will follow. The US anime discs come out July 9 too.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 9, 2013