Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Grawl posted:

The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling. The first 100 pages or so were a bit of a drag, but in the end I really ended up liking the characters. Still shocking to see how an author can go from Harry Potter to a book about death (well ok), drugs, sex etc. in a snap.
Judging by the Amazon reviews, a lot of people seemed to be expecting another fun-filled, light-hearted adventure. :shrug: Something tells me if she had released this book under a pseudonym, it'd be rated a lot higher (but also have a smaller audience).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Autumncomet posted:

Judging by the Amazon reviews, a lot of people seemed to be expecting another fun-filled, light-hearted adventure. :shrug: Something tells me if she had released this book under a pseudonym, it'd be rated a lot higher (but also have a smaller audience).

I knew it was nothing like Harry Potter (even though the latest books are pretty grim), but I just find the jump from children/young adult to full-blown adult fiction with themes such as drugs, incest, rape etc. a bit weird.

Still, good book, happy she wrote it. I wouldn't mind to see a movie about this book.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I finished A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller Jr. not too long ago. I was personally a big fan of it. I enjoyed how Miller was able to make faith and secularism such a big part of the book without making it preachy to either side, and I also loved the themes of recurrence and cyclical tendencies of man. Fantastic book.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Low Desert Punk posted:

I finished A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller Jr. not too long ago. I was personally a big fan of it. I enjoyed how Miller was able to make faith and secularism such a big part of the book without making it preachy to either side, and I also loved the themes of recurrence and cyclical tendencies of man. Fantastic book.

Although it is a bit preachy at times, you might also enjoy Morrow's This is the Way the World Ends. Lots of similar themes.

Grondal
Jan 14, 2010
Just finished Dune Messiah, the second book in the series. Cant wait to start the third one, although ive heard that the first two are the best ones by far. Most sci fi lovers are probably well into the Herbert stuff, but if not, go read Dune now.

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die

Grondal posted:

Just finished Dune Messiah, the second book in the series. Cant wait to start the third one, although ive heard that the first two are the best ones by far. Most sci fi lovers are probably well into the Herbert stuff, but if not, go read Dune now.

God Emperor is the best one. You can stop after that, though.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
I've been mainlining the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher over the past month and I just finished Ghost Story at the weekend. drat it's a stupidly fun series of books, but still so well written. The series just gets better and better as it keeps on going.

In between that I read The Crane Wife by Patrick Ness. He takes the original Japanese myth, reworks it for a modern setting and then weaves in a mythological tale of his own. Beautifully written and moving. I can't wait to meet the author in a couple of weeks.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
First three book in Stephen Hunter's Bob Lee Swagger series. If you like anything sniper read these loving books!

Point of Impact
I read this in high school, saw the lovely Marky Mark movie and decided to revisit the book and continue the series. Loved the characters and how he writes about guns without losing you in the jargon. It has tons of action violence and espionage.

Black Light
Bounces back and forth from present day Bob Lee trying to solve the mystery of his daddy's death and 1950's Arkansas state trooper daddy swagger trying to solve the mystery of a young black girls rape and murder that leads to his own death. One of the best mystery novels I've ever read and the fact that it has snipering in it is a win win.

Time to Hunt
Another split story going into his Vietnam adventures with side kick spotter and a present day threat that costs him those closest to him. The ending is eye rolling but the first 90% of the story is so excellently written and character driven I can over look it.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 6, 2013

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I didn't enjoy 100 Years of Solitude a lot but wanted to give the author a second shot. While I liked this one a bit more, I still can't say that I actually liked it. It's interesting that the protagonist is such a messed up weirdo who by the end turns out to be an honest to God pedophile, and his victim's eventual suicide is relegated to a couple of sentences before he finally gets the woman he was creepily obsessed with for more than 50 years. Oh the romance! Apparently he is played by Javier Bardem in the 2007 movie, which seems to me the the absolute best possible choice of actor for that role. There's definitely a lot in the book, but I'm afraid I just don't like Marquez' style. :(

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I just finished reading all of the George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series back to back; books one through five. I had two hour train rides fly by in what seemed like ten minutes because the series was so engrossing. What I enjoyed the most was the character interplay and the subtlety and complexity of the different point-of-view arcs; realizing that each character had their motivations and weaknesses and what they saw wasn't necessarily what was going on.

The negatives for me were that some spots were slow and boring and the tragedy surrounding so many people in the books was a bit depressing.

Still, all-in-all, it was a good read.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Deeply Odd by Dean Koontz, book #6 in the Odd Thomas series, coming out on the 28th of this month.

I still like the character so much that I really enjoyed this, but it seems like he's felt the need to ramp up the scale of the protagonists in each book and it gets a little over the top. The conflict isn't quite as large scale as Odd Hours where (end spoilers for Odd Hours)terrorists were trying to blow up several major cities, but still (Deeply Odd middle-ish spoilers)Satanic cult that murders children is a bit heavy handed, and the overall story arc seems to be heading towards some huge and organized evil forces. The moralizing is also starting to wear thin. With all that being said, I really liked this and will continue to read every one of these he writes.

Caustic Chimera
Feb 18, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I went and read Anatoli Boukreev's Above the Clouds. I know this will sound stupid and obvious, but you can tell he really loves mountains. What really surprised me was how much he had to work to pay his way. It makes sense when I think about it, the money has to come from somewhere, and if you're from the collapsed USSR, people back home aren't gonna fund you. I could see finding the book as really inspiring, he came from a poor town, and despite poor health as a kid and other physical aspects that could be problematic, he becomes a really awesome climber.
Ugh, I know that The Climb is supposed to be awful, but part of me really wants to read it.

Then I noticed my library actually had Catching Fire available, so I snatched that up and devoured it in a couple days. Grabbed Mockingjay immediately and went through that in a day. I think I've finished sorting out my thoughts about them. Several people warned me off of reading these two, and recommended I stop after the first. While these two were not as good, they weren't nearly as bad as others made them out to be. One of my friends complained about Katniss' PTSD, but I think that it was a completely reasonable element of the books. I didn't have any complaints about Catching Fire that were unique to the book. I was a bit annoyed though that Mockingjay, despite its 390 pages, feels really rushed and as a result was easily the weakest of the books (which is too bad, I really liked the idea of the plot in it). The epilogue just comes off as "eh, whatever". I really hated the love triangle, because it felt so needless. I get why these love triangles are here, I do, but, it seemed like there were other ways to add romantic tension than "Do I love Peeta, or do I love Gale?" Also, I felt that Katniss having kids "because Peeta really wanted them" felt weak.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Caustic Chimera posted:

I went and read Anatoli Boukreev's Above the Clouds. I know this will sound stupid and obvious, but you can tell he really loves mountains. What really surprised me was how much he had to work to pay his way. It makes sense when I think about it, the money has to come from somewhere, and if you're from the collapsed USSR, people back home aren't gonna fund you. I could see finding the book as really inspiring, he came from a poor town, and despite poor health as a kid and other physical aspects that could be problematic, he becomes a really awesome climber.
Ugh, I know that The Climb is supposed to be awful, but part of me really wants to read it.

Then I noticed my library actually had Catching Fire available, so I snatched that up and devoured it in a couple days. Grabbed Mockingjay immediately and went through that in a day. I think I've finished sorting out my thoughts about them. Several people warned me off of reading these two, and recommended I stop after the first. While these two were not as good, they weren't nearly as bad as others made them out to be. One of my friends complained about Katniss' PTSD, but I think that it was a completely reasonable element of the books. I didn't have any complaints about Catching Fire that were unique to the book. I was a bit annoyed though that Mockingjay, despite its 390 pages, feels really rushed and as a result was easily the weakest of the books (which is too bad, I really liked the idea of the plot in it). The epilogue just comes off as "eh, whatever". I really hated the love triangle, because it felt so needless. I get why these love triangles are here, I do, but, it seemed like there were other ways to add romantic tension than "Do I love Peeta, or do I love Gale?" Also, I felt that Katniss having kids "because Peeta really wanted them" felt weak.

Catching Fire was a retread of the first book but Mocking Jay through its flaws (the author knowing absolutely nothing about warfare) was the most character growth and carried the most impact emotionally.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

gohmak posted:

First three book in Stephen Hunter's Bob Lee Swagger series. If you like anything sniper read these loving books!

Point of Impact
I read this in high school, saw the lovely Marky Mark movie and decided to revisit the book and continue the series. Loved the characters and how he writes about guns without losing you in the jargon. It has tons of action violence and espionage.

Black Light
Bounces back and forth from present day Bob Lee trying to solve the mystery of his daddy's death and 1950's Arkansas state trooper daddy swagger trying to solve the mystery of a young black girls rape and murder that leads to his own death. One of the best mystery novels I've ever read and the fact that it has snipering in it is a win win.

Time to Hunt
Another split story going into his Vietnam adventures with side kick spotter and a present day threat that costs him those closest to him. The ending is eye rolling but the first 90% of the story is so excellently written and character driven I can over look it.

gohmak posted:

Point of Impact

Black Light

Time to Hunt

Have you read Dirty White Boys? Still my favorite book by Hunter.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
Finally got around to completing 1984. I'm probably the last person to read it but I'll spoiler-tag anyway. The funny thing is that I had the 1984 Apple commercial in the back of my head while reading it, even though I had not seen the original commercial, just the parody of it in Futurama. This caused me to believe that the commercial was actually a scene from the 1984 movie.

Because of this I was 100% sure that there would be an uprising and a revolution and that everything would end happily. So I started to get very confused when I approached the end of the book, thinking "When are the rebels going to rush in and save the day? There's like 20 pages left in this book..".

It did not end as I thought it would.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I just read the first 3 books of the Peter Grant series by Ben Aaronovitch Rivers of London, Moon Over Soho, and Whispers Under Ground.

It's very British, but startlingly addictive to read. I'm really sad now that I don't have Grant's architectural snarkiness and dry humor about the magic and weirdness going on before bed every night.

If you like Dresden and the idea of magic and creatures of lore in the modern day, and also like things British as gently caress, read these books.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

funkybottoms posted:

Although it is a bit preachy at times, you might also enjoy Morrow's This is the Way the World Ends. Lots of similar themes.

I'll check that out then. I can handle preachy if everything else is there, so it's no problem.

Finished The Crossing by Cormac McCarthy. I have a lot of feelings about this one. In the context of the Border Trilogy, I suppose I like All the Pretty Horses more, but it's tough. I feel like Pretty Horses is overall more readable and enjoyable, but The Crossing is one of those rare books that have a message that really resonates with me. It's certainly packed more densely with meaning than any other McCarthy book I've read, and that's saying a lot. It is a very challenging read, but it does have beautiful pockets of prose and storytelling that make the whole chug worthwhile.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

Just finished Claudius the God by Bobby G. It was superb in many ways and, I felt, inferior to the first book. That said, I enjoyed it immensely and together with I, Claudius it's one of the most riveting works of fiction I've ever read. My issues were twofold. Every time Graves mentioned Jews, Germans, or Britons, it felt purposely flavored by the viewpoint of a 20th Century Englishman, and while I don't know Graves and his philosophies well enough to be able to pin down exactly what made me uncomfortable when he discussed race in both books, it was nonetheless always jarring and it felt like he was saying such things with a wink and a nod and a big blinking annotation that said "HELLO, IT'S ME, THE AUTHOR, FROM THE 20th CENTURY!". My second, and larger, problem with the book was its conclusion. It just felt like Graves couldn't reconcile the characterizations he had created with what actually happened towards the end of Claudius's reign, so he just shrugged and gave up and made Claudius give up too. :effort: It was incredibly unsatisfying and devoid of the creativity and liveliness that made the rest of the series so fascinating. Graves says he hated writing the books, so I guess that explains it.

Still, though, one of the greatest books I have ever read and I can't wait to read Belisarius and everything else in Graves's bibliography. Although for now I've moved on to Simmons's The Terror.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
I just finished up John Crowley's The Deep.

I feel like it's the kind of book I should read again, and soon. Partly because of the richness and depth of the world, partly because of the engrossing story, and partly because I kept getting the character's names confused and am hoping that I'll figure them out better on a second read-through. It's a beautiful and poetic book, probably one of the most well-written books in the fantasy genre I've read. At the same time, though, sometimes that poetic becomes obscuring, and because Crowley doesn't linger too long on any one moment, it can be easy to lose track of the fine details of the story, though the overall flow of the story means you don't have to worry about getting too lost.

It's also, tragically, a book whose world I want to know more about. While I love how concise it is, it's a book that gives me a yearning to know more about it, which I think is a fantastic place for an author to leave me: not fully aware of the world, but filled with a yearning to know more.

I've also been reading it after A Song of Ice and Fire, and in some respects the book seems an anti-ASOIAF. It's short, the prose is concise, we don't go as in-depth into the world as ASOIAF. That's not to say it's better than ASOIAF (though I think I prefer The Deep, not the least of which for its brevity), just that it's different. They also deal with similar themes (which makes sense, since I found the book through reviews of ASOIAF comparing the two). Nonetheless, I feel like it's a drat shame that so few people know about it, because I feel like it merits knowing.It was a fun book, a unique book, and a short one. I'd definitely recommend it.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

nate fisher posted:

Have you read Dirty White Boys? Still my favorite book by Hunter.

Its on my reading list but i haven't gotten to it yet. Is it heavy with the white southern racism like Black Light? If so I have to set my mind to a place to take it.

All Nines
Aug 12, 2011

Elves get all the nice things. Why can't I have a dinosaur?
Just finished Lolita and A Midsummer Night's Dream.

The former was obviously intensely disgusting in its subject matter, but not only did it succeed in making me feel very strongly for (or, in Humbert the Horrible's case, towards) its characters, but it was just a work of expert execution on the whole. Not to mention the wordplay (my God, this was Nabokov's third language and his vocabulary was this much better than that of so many native-speaking writers? what?). Great book, and I only hope that I'll find a sufficient number of works of similar caliber in the future.

The latter was amusing enough, but it probably won't stick with me after this read-through. Hilarious though it was, it just didn't really have an impact, though that could be because I didn't read it in one sitting. But I'll probably look up a performance of it to watch, which I have to imagine would be pretty fun.

All Nines fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 14, 2013

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
I just finished Child of God the other day.

I already sort of knew the plot going in but was still floored a couple times and had to give myself a break about halfway through. While it was for the most part shocking and bleak I always forget how funny McCarthy can be despite all the depravity and violence he writes. I was also really surprised at how accessible this book was compared to the other things I've read from him and I think it helped me realize that I absolutely love short, to-the-point chapters in novels.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green is the first book I've completed out of leisure in a few years but I literally don't remember the last time I had to put a book down because I was crying so hard. Young love, cancer, and the works. I wish that Admiral Ackbar had told me it was a trap, but I don't regret reading it at all.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Just finished up Fall of Hyperion, by Dan Simmons.

THAT was an experience. I feel like I've genuinely learned things, which is more than I can say for a bunch of different books. The World-building was fantastic, the characters were excellent, the mysteries were absolutely captivating. I don't know how I feel about how long the book was, and I'm not going to go through and figure out whether each and every phrase was absolutely necessary, but when it gripped you, it gripped you, and when it didn't, well, it slowed down. Absolutely recommend it, though. It's a book that really deserves reading.

I'm not so gung-ho about his use of literary references. While I understand why he did it, it felt intrusive. I was more interested in reading what he wrote, rather than what others wrote. To be honest, it felt a little like a crutch.

The ending was disappointing to me, not in the sense that it was bad, but in the sense that it wrapped things up really neatly, and a bit too optimistically for my tastes. I mean, they just went through the greatest sequence of mass death in the history of humanity, their entire way of life has been changed beyond imagination, and the people who were previously their enemies, whom they thought were going to kill all of them, are now walking among them freely. And while the sequence chronicling the chaos of other planets cut off from the web was compelling, it's a stark contrast to the atmosphere on Hyperion, which seems absolutely placid in comparison. And that's hard for me to buy.

As far as the other elements of the ending, I'm mixed. Things like Brawn's pregnancy, Moneta being Rachel, and other things like that make a certain degree of sense, but still felt a bit coming out of left field, especially in comparison with how subtly Simmons brought about the idea of the Technocore being dangerous. Although I guess no matter what happened, it would have been really hard to get a satisfying ending. Things like an army of Shrikes, the Time Tombs, and Martin Silenus's enigmatic poem are things that are so, so much more interesting when they exist like that, sudden mysteries you yearn to know more, which makes it so much harder when you reach their logical conclusions. Sometimes, especially in a story like this, I was looking for conclusions that weren't so logical, and problems not neatly tied up in the end.

Still a great book, and indeed, parts of it were some of the most engaging things I've read in years. I've just got some problems with it.

Ummon was awesome, though. Every story should get an Ummon.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Night Train to Rigel by Timothy Zahn.

It was just okay. Pretty silly overall, with by-the-numbers action sequences, and barely any science in the sci-fi.

I like what Zahn does with the "dashing rogue with a galaxy against him" genre, and the alien races were pretty cool despite being Star-Wars-y (having no discernable difference in personality/culture from humans). But this book just kinda lacked substance and gripping ideas. Zahn's earlier(?) book The Icarus Hunt was a much better, and more enjoyable, stab at the same kind of plot.

The core concept (trains in space!) could have been done interestingly, but there was barely any imagination in the development of the idea. It's literally just trains, the same size and shape as trains today, inside and out. Regular trains that just go really fast through interstellar tubes. For a transport method developed by aliens a thousand years ago, they are pretty mundane.

I probably won't follow up on reading the rest of the series.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Contact by Carl Sagan, after I finally found a copy with a cover that does not reference the (excellent) movie. Speculative fiction about humanity receiving an extraterrestrial message containing the encrypted blueprints to building an enourmous machine of unknown function. Before becoming the patron saint of the I loving Love Science science crowd Sagan was alive and a scientist and as a result, I'd say his scientist characters are among the most human in all of literature (write what you know). While aliens are certainly a topic, the books is much more about science and faith, politics, xenophobia, academia, multiculturalism, astrophysics, women in science and gender relations in general. Also dads. Loved it.

The Fifty Year Sword by Mark Z. Danielewski. Less of a novel and more of a ghost story in picture book form, with some sentences inbetween. Neat hybridization of word and picture (for example, the text for the description of a mountain follows the slope of the illustration), but ultimately I felt a bit ripped off. It's roughly 300 pages that you can breeze through in less than an hour, but of course that what a picture book is.

Dinosaur in the Haystack by Stephen J. Gould. Compilation of essays about science and nature, written in the mid 90s. Includes an interesting angle on the Jurassic Park movie, lots of Gould's own pet theories about evolution, an essay criticizing a volume of erotic poems about plants and Edgar Allen Poe's semi-plagiaristic foray into school textbooks. Gould was just a wizard when it comes to making the reader interested in really odd and obscure topics. Do you want to know why for the longest time books depicted snail shells as left handed when in nature most of them are right handed? Yes, I absolutely do! :allears:

Erukul
May 21, 2013
Fire and Ice series George R R Martin
The story's Game of Thrones show is based on.. doesn't even scratch the surface of these books.

Brutal, Painful.. and oh so Beautiful.
First look - typical Tolkein fantasy.. OH how wrong I was. Sure there are dragons and magic swords and knights.
The setting doesn't matter, place these characters in a space ship or little house on a prairie -
The great evil that is coming, the past wrongs and present ambitions. All but a setting.
These books are about the characters and their interactions and their journeys through life.

Nothing is at it seems, nothing is black and white, no good vs evil.
Everyone has justification, everyone has a valid reason.
No one is innocent, no one is safe.
Layers and Layers...
I came away mentally exhausted, sharing the lives and journeys of these characters.

I want to re-read these, but it will be awhile.
I am/was honestly emotionally drained while reading these books.
Often times taking a break during the reading to regain strength/sanity

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The Big Sleep (Raymond Chandler): I was more than willing to give this book three stars until the last five pages, which bumped it to four. Bravo, Mr. Chandler. It's not a classic to me, though. I'd rank it in the upper echelon of Agatha Christie, but not quite as high as something like And Then There Were None. Some of it's too convenient (even when he was knocked out by Canino, I didn't feel any danger, plus his relationship with Mona Mars seemed kinda iffy). There are some cool aspects. The dialogue is timeless. If it weren't for the technological aspects, including Marlowe's old Plymouth, you could easily mistake it for a much more recent work.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Earlier this week I finished The Painted Veil by W. Somerset Maugham which I picked up after seeing 2 or 3 raves her for his On Human Bondage. I didn't really think much of it. It started out strong with a devastating sketch of a impecunious mother trying to marry her daughters into the aristocracy, but the following novel, where one of these daughters recognizes the damage done to her by this marriage-market by learning to respect her Heathcliff-like husband (who, by the way, is trying to kill her), an apish customs agent and the beatific nuns who are all tending to a cholera epidemic. I found the occasional breaks into poetry unconvincing, especially when it's set in otherwise workmanlike prose, and the psychologies of the characters were either flat or false.
And I've been reading a bit of Conrad who might be, for me, the most reliably shattering author. It's all so goddamn tragic.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Earlier this week I finished The Painted Veil by W. Somerset Maugham which I picked up after seeing 2 or 3 raves her for his On Human Bondage. I didn't really think much of it. It started out strong with a devastating sketch of a impecunious mother trying to marry her daughters into the aristocracy, but the following novel, where one of these daughters recognizes the damage done to her by this marriage-market by learning to respect her Heathcliff-like husband (who, by the way, is trying to kill her), an apish customs agent and the beatific nuns who are all tending to a cholera epidemic. I found the occasional breaks into poetry unconvincing, especially when it's set in otherwise workmanlike prose, and the psychologies of the characters were either flat or false.
And I've been reading a bit of Conrad who might be, for me, the most reliably shattering author. It's all so goddamn tragic.

It's far from his best novel, and your criticisms are sound. Cakes and Ale is still my top pick, if Maugham intrigued you at all and you would read more.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
The Painted Veil made me wish Graham Greene had written it instead.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Witchfinder General posted:

I just finished Child of God the other day.

I already sort of knew the plot going in but was still floored a couple times and had to give myself a break about halfway through. While it was for the most part shocking and bleak I always forget how funny McCarthy can be despite all the depravity and violence he writes. I was also really surprised at how accessible this book was compared to the other things I've read from him and I think it helped me realize that I absolutely love short, to-the-point chapters in novels.

I am curious to see the James Franco directed (and starred in) adaption of this. I wouldn't be surprised if it is a disaster.

Edit: I just saw he is directing a movie about Bukowski too. Oh Franco you hipster.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

nate fisher posted:

I am curious to see the James Franco directed (and starred in) adaption of this. I wouldn't be surprised if it is a disaster.

Edit: I just saw he is directing a movie about Bukowski too. Oh Franco you hipster.

Man, you'd better hope he's not a goon, too, because he'll esoteric you a new one.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

funkybottoms posted:

Man, you'd better hope he's not a goon, too, because he'll esoteric you a new one.

Ha. I actually like Franco. I just question doing a McCarthy novel for your directorial debut (which I just found out its not).

Reading more Franco shocks me again. His version of Faulkner's As I Lay Dying is releasing soon, and he also wants to direct Blood Meridian (he has already shot a 20 minute test for it). Say one thing for him, he is ambitious.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
Just finished The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach--basically Moby Dick meets baseball. I loved the first eight innings of the book, but in the bottom of the ninth, he blew the game... I dunno, I just didn't find the ending very realistic, and Pella was a borderline Manic Pixie Dream Girl who, by the end of the book, annoyed the poo poo out of me. Overall, I did enjoy the book, and I can't imagine it'll be too long before someone tries to make a movie out of it.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

nate fisher posted:

Ha. I actually like Franco. I just question doing a McCarthy novel for your directorial debut (which I just found out its not).

Reading more Franco shocks me again. His version of Faulkner's As I Lay Dying is releasing soon, and he also wants to direct Blood Meridian (he has already shot a 20 minute test for it). Say one thing for him, he is ambitious.

The As I Lay Dying trailer looks terrible. Faulkner tells a fantastic story and is one of my favorites but so much of his skill is tied with the written form. Franco's going to have to find the film form of saying "My mother is a fish." over and over without actually having the actor do that and for the life of me I can't imagine what that would look like.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I read Game of Thrones over a six week period and then demolished Clash of Kings in about 5 days. I'm starting in to Storm of Swords now and loving it. The big challenge is figuring out which threads in BB and TV IV I can actually go into having read the first two books..

Bisensual
May 24, 2013

Do you hate me?
The Fault in our Stars by John Green. I read a lot about it on a certain website and I had previously read Looking for Alaska a couple years ago so I thought why not. I have to say, it was really good. Really relate-able, believable characters. I never cried so much in my life.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
A Man Without A Country by Kurt Vonnegut. Autobiographical rants written shortly before his death. Rants in the best sense of the word, because they express such a sense of humanity that it makes me feel warm inside, like most of his writing. When I'm old, I want to be like Vonnegut. Hell, I want to be like Vonnegut now.

NOS4A2 by Joe Hill. Story of a girl who can use her bike to cross a mysterious bridge that leads her to exactly what she is looking for, at the price of her sanity. One day, it leads her to discover a man who is using his car to bring children to a place called Christmasland, where they are forever happy (he also murders their parents and the children turn into messed up monsters). An homage to Stephen King, filled with direct and indirect references to his work. Proficiently written and never boring, it still fails at actually being scary. Christmasland is just such a hokey and dumb place (intentionally so), and Christmas itself just doesn't have any sinister undertones, it just doesn't work. This actually pays off in the immensely satisfying ending, but while this book is often exciting, it's never really frightening.

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracher
May 25, 2013
I just finished Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell. About a navy seal in Afghanistan. It was sad but a good story. I couldn't stop reading it until the end.