Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Got part way through a thermo fan install. Calling it quits for today. Pictures will follow when it's done. I put the rad back in and coolant back in today at least. Had to pull the rad out to get the fans in. 2x10" fans is a snugly fit for the rad. Also confirmed my suspicion that the mech fan was doing squat. While the engine was idling the thermo fans weren't spinning at all. It doesn't take much to turn them so I don't think the mech. fan was drawing anything through. Not surprising because there's no shroud and I can fit my arm between the fan and the rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imp Boy
Feb 8, 2004
Just fixed the timing on my 289. Somehow the bolt securing the distributor had come loose, and it was a few degrees out from where it belonged. Hooray for quick, simple fixes!

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
A few months ago some rear end in a top hat damaged my car at work. I asked the overlords to look at the security tapes of the parking lot to see if they had the incident on film but they told me they didn't see anything. Somehow I think if the car damaged was a car belonging to one of the taskmasters there would be hell to pay.

Aside from all that I now have a nasty fold on the lip of my bumper and some cracked paint. I can't pony up the deductible for the repairs so I'm hosed. I decided that it couldn't hurt to try to unfuck the bent edge of the hood. A few minutes with a pair of pliers and a towel and its a little better. I didn't want to crack the paint any more than before.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I put the hubs back together, and one man bled the brakes to get it out of the garage. I'm getting some help soon to properly bleed the front.

It was nice getting all of the parts off the ground and putting all of the tools away finally, and being able to walk around the garage is amazing.

rotard
Jan 15, 2012

quote:

What did I do to my ride today?

I bought it!
http://db.tt/s6o0AM3V

2005 STI with some bolt on's and a tune. One trip through a body shop for some minor chips and it will be good to go.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Clayed, polished, and waxed three panels before it got too drat hot to do anything else.

In the process, I discovered I must have skipped the roof on my last detail. That disgusting fucker looked fine to the eye, but a 2x3 section took four passes with the clay before it quit pulling up gross yellow-brown nastiness. Preference for white clay: Validated.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Had some help today to bleed the brakes again and again. I'm up to drivable but not quite to perfect. The master cylinder was so pitted and is in line for replacement so I accepted partial failure.

Then I went to the free mulch pile and put a load in the back. Trucks - they're for usin'.

Argenteus
Mar 31, 2011
Put some side steps on the F150. Now hopefully literally every passenger I have will stop complaining about how high my (stock height) truck is. :v:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Blazer wash!
Jesus, that thing is huge. Even the WJ is so much faster to wash. Of course I didn't think to take a picture till it was dark....

First I hit the engine bay with Purple Power, then the hose. FEMA was dispatched for the runoff.

Then I hit the outside, which took me a long time. Granted, I hadn't washed it in about a year, and it's old school paint, so there was TONS of that black poo poo all over that required scrubbing.

I have some rust patches here and there that aren't growing or anything, but I'm thinking of starting to take care of them. I got a wire wheel and can of primer and figured if next weekend is nice weather, I'll whack some rust spots and get them primered up. Not sure where to go for paint, anybody know where I could find the paint code on a 77 Blazer?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I finally swapped back to my summer wheels and installed 10mm spacers front and rear on my S60R. I've been meaning to do it for a while but weather, work, and laziness have conspired against me so far.

I'm so glad I did it. Not only can I now use my entire turning radius (S60R is notorious for wheel-rub issues), but the slightly wider track really does look better. I'm rather dubious of the claims that it will do anything noticeable for handling, but that's ok, it did what I wanted it to.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Ran my first autocross today and tested out the GoPro. I was 69:quagmire: out of 73, so I was right at the back of the group, but I had a heck of a time and definitely plan on doing it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpsDqWHWeeM

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I continued to strip down this 1990 535i I got for cheap.

It's got front end damage.

It runs like poo poo, supposedly the head gasket is blown. (I already took some of the "God drat Cooling System" components since I needed them for my 530i.)

Before today I had already stripped everything out of the trunk and removed the rear bumper and bumper shocks.

Today I pulled out the back seat, rear deck and C pillar trim.

My plan is to strip the car completely of everything other than the bare minimum of what it needs to run: engine, transmission, suspension, wheels, etc. and then go to work on the engine. If the engine is salvageable, I'll fix the body and paint it and put it all back together exactly how I want it. If it's a lost cause I'll just sell some of the parts and keep the others as spares, make my money back. Or there's always the 3rd option of putting in another engine, I don't know. I have car ADD and OCD and AI only enables my behaviour.

If I do fix it up, it should look something like my current daily driver.

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 20, 2013

10000lbsofbananas
Jan 3, 2005

Not for consumption.
Clayed, washed, waxed, removed aftermarket midpipe and put on the stock pipe, new spark plugs, new rubber, and 20mm spacers.

I'm suspecting a clogged catalyst due to loss of power > 8K RPM. Noticed the catalyst glows at night after a 15 minute drive. Visually it looked fine.Took it to the stealership today to have it looked at but they concluded it's within spec. I don't think they even tried. This might be a headache moving forward.

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

I diagnosed my busted window motor on my 2005 mazda3. only rolls up a few inches then you have to pull on the glass with your hands, and it goes a few more inches, etc. I bought it used a month ago :argh:

I was pretty impressed with how easy it was to take the door apart. Two screws and a bunch of those plastic push-tab-things.

I figured out it was the motor itself that was busted, it would spin a full revolution then get stuck, if you twisted it with your fingers it would catch and go another revolution, then get stuck again.

I was prepared to buy one on some random car parts website and I decided to check amazon. I was blown away to find out that they had it on amazon prime for $68, and could confirm it would fit on my car. The motors themselves are universal and are the exact same unit on every door. On the passenger side I guess they just reverse the polarity for the input wires.

sensible designs and mass production are pretty cool sometimes!

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Socracheese posted:

I was blown away to find out that they had it on amazon prime for $68, and could confirm it would fit on my car.

Be careful with this, Amazon's part matching is awful and wrong a large percentage of the time.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?
My NPP's arrived today, express delivery from kill me now. Thanks for the awesome deal, guy!

I will put them on after I've bought the headers they'll be mating with and the NPP-in-a-box control unit.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Stared out into the drizzle and contemplated whether I could slip out long enough later today to pull the mechanical fan off the Niva. Looks like 6 bolts with 8mm heads holding it on. Also kept on with the pointless back and forth with the person that sold me the radiator cap.

Was going to do a parts order today but it may have to wait. Bought a replacement graphics card, well two of them for the PC. The random power offs during heavy GPU load were pissing me off. It was sent yesterday from a place maybe a couple of hours away so hopefully it'll be here by Monday. I'm sure Aussie Post takes packages at random via Antarctica. Goes with the ones they jump on. loving crushed packages with footprints on them. The bane of my existence, along with things with a huge "DO NOT BEND" on them that have been bent in half.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Full Circle posted:

Be careful with this, Amazon's part matching is awful and wrong a large percentage of the time.

At least, though, their return policy (especially for items sold by Amazon itself) has so far been damned amazing for me.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Yeah anything I get off Amazon I verify the part numbers somewhere else first. They're great about lots of stuff, but automotive applications isn't one of them.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I won't use amazon's part matching at all... it's about the worst thing out there. Even RockAuto gets some stuff wrong. I'll generally use RockAuto to look stuff up and then see if it's cheaper on amazon, though, by searching for the part number.

And if the year split on the parts RockAuto has doesn't make sense or it looks different, it's off to the factory parts catalogs to verify them.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Wife just gave me an anniversary card with this inside:

I guess it all gets here Friday! Best wife ever. Should be good for about +70AWHP.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Put new Delco shocks on the Blazer, holy poo poo I can feel the road now. Brake dive is just about gone and I can take the (25mph) speed bumps leading to my school without feeling like the suspension's gonna break.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

ApathyGifted posted:

My NPP's arrived today, express delivery from kill me now. Thanks for the awesome deal, guy!

I will put them on after I've bought the headers they'll be mating with and the NPP-in-a-box control unit.

I'm sure you'll enjoy them, the NPP sounds real good (and is tolerable to drive with them open). I also didn't mind only being out a few hundred bucks at the end of the day for a whole new set of over axle pipes on my car. I wish more mods had such a nice return on the stock parts.

Also you would not believe how much those fuckers cost to ship :downs:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Removed the mech fan from the Niva. Had to buy some shorter bolts to do it. Ran it for a while to get it up to temp to test the thermo fans. Set a little low I think. Unfortunately the bolt I jammed in the drain plug started to leak a lot at about 90*C. I have a couple of M10s to try instead when I get the chance.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

10000lbsofbananas posted:

Clayed, washed, waxed, removed aftermarket midpipe and put on the stock pipe, new spark plugs, new rubber, and 20mm spacers.

I'm suspecting a clogged catalyst due to loss of power > 8K RPM. Noticed the catalyst glows at night after a 15 minute drive. Visually it looked fine.Took it to the stealership today to have it looked at but they concluded it's within spec. I don't think they even tried. This might be a headache moving forward.

Best-looking RX-8 I've seen in a while. Wheels look awesome.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
I'm getting my front windshield replaced on my STi. I called around and everyone wanted $300 plus install, but I found a company that quoted me only $250.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The R3 wheels are perfection.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

opengl128 posted:

The R3 wheels are perfection.

Agreed, this is one of the best looking RX8's I've seen.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Rhyno posted:

Agreed, this is one of the best looking RX8's I've seen.

Indeed. The spacers actually put the wheels flush. The sunk in stock wheels is something I shake my head at every time I see it. Why the heck didn't they either put wider wheels on the back, or just get the offsets right in the first place. That's one thing BMW always seems to have right: their wheel fitment is almost always perfect, flush and centered in the opening, with a nice even gap all around.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Repacked my driver's wheel bearings, which I apparently under-preloaded when I did the brakes because it was raining... and discovered that my ball joints are f-u-c-k-hosed. As in the grease fitting moves when I shake the wheel. :suicide: Explains why the truck has felt a bit wander-ey lately only a couple months after I replaced an upper control arm and got a proper alignment.

Also the control arm bushings are shot, upper arm moves in and out and the lowers have some play too. Guess a trip to a shop is in order for lower control arms since I don't trust spring compressors so I can't do it in my driveway.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Fucknag posted:

Also the control arm bushings are shot, upper arm moves in and out and the lowers have some play too. Guess a trip to a shop is in order for lower control arms since I don't trust spring compressors so I can't do it in my driveway.

Care to expand? I've never had an issue with the hook type ones.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Late last night under LED torch / worklamp light I dumped the rest of the coolant in the Niva's rad and forcibly screwed a metric bolt into the drain fitting. Nothing fits but this felt close and seemed like the right bolt. Just finished tipping in the coolant and running it to burp it a little. A nice pre-sunrise activity. With the fan gone I can hear the engine a lot better now. There's definitely a noise up the front. Can't tell if it's the water pump, the alternator, a piston, a valve or the timing chain though.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Drained a half liter of oil out of the M3. I'm probably being overly paranoid but the idrive menu said the oil level was too high so I opened the front sump and let some oil out and quick put the drain plug back in. I'll check the level again tomorrow after driving it for a while.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Larrymer posted:

Care to expand? I've never had an issue with the hook type ones.

Too many horror stories I guess, plus they look flimsy compared to the wall mount ones I normally use. Might just do it regardless.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I was going to have a shop mount my new struts for me a while back because I was freaked out by spring compressors but then I just said "gently caress it" and bought a cheap set from Harbor Freight and they worked perfectly and it never got the least bit sketchy.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

No struts on the truck, coil spring sits between the lower control arm and the frame perch, so it has to be compressed to change the LCA.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I disassembled and scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed. I cleaned parts of this car no human has ever seen, and no human will ever see again.

The previous owner reaaaaaaally loved speaker wire.

That's gotta be good for a couple pounds of weight savings.

I'm fuckin destroyed from climbing all up in the car like a monkey. I am not a small man, and it is not a big car. Hopefully tomorrow everything will be dry and i can pick up a fuckton of tree clips and put that motherfucker back together. Motherfuckin tree clips.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I tore apart a junk ABS hydraulic control unit and figured out what made it tick with the intention of converting a second HCU into an electronic traction control device for my rear axle.

This should be fun.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
My order of miscellaneous small and unimportant stuff came in, so I'll be spending all day Saturday doing a series of small things.
Pelican Parts sent me a welcome pack!

Pelican Parts 1 by Execudork, on Flickr
The usual place for stickers from parts stores is on a toolbox, right?

I got started tonight with the air filter.

Pelican Parts 2 by Execudork, on Flickr
Old & Busted, New Hotness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Good god this car and its wheels look so good. Sometimes i just want to say gently caress the horrible mpg and engine reliability down the road and buy one