Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobst
Mar 28, 2002

~HUG LIFE~

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Fellowship suffers a bit only because it's only Kevin and Mike. The series as a whole is amazing.

Seconding this! Also, they apparently decided to make the riff of Fellowship appropriate for kids as well as adults (even though the film itself is PG-13). If this was a policy of theirs, I'm really glad they threw it out the window when High School Musical came around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

BrooklynBruiser posted:

The LotR riffs are very much in the "Make everything ridiculous without really making fun of the movies" vein, which I like a lot.

It falls under the list of films that the guys genuinely love as amazing films, but how do you not rip into it?

See also: Casablanca, Jaws, Star Wars (Original Trilogy), The Dark Knight...

edit: On that note, why haven't we gotten at least Dark Knight Rises as a riff yet? For Bane alone it would be worth the cost of admission.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Ensign_Ricky posted:

It falls under the list of films that the guys genuinely love as amazing films, but how do you not rip into it?

See also: Casablanca, Jaws, Star Wars (Original Trilogy), The Dark Knight...

edit: On that note, why haven't we gotten at least Dark Knight Rises as a riff yet? For Bane alone it would be worth the cost of admission.

Yeah, those are some of my favorite riffs, especially the Casablanca one.

And yeah, riffing Bane would be amazing.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Now that I think about it, TDKR not being riffed is almost as depressing as GI Joe not getting one.

God, they could do so much with Bane's bombasticness.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Now that I think about it, TDKR not being riffed is almost as depressing as GI Joe not getting one.

And get Doug Benson to sit in as a guest riffer.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

They must be doing really well with the VOD because you hear nothing about big releases getting riffs anymore. I must be partially to blame because I can't pass up a VOD.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

therealjon_ posted:

They must be doing really well with the VOD because you hear nothing about big releases getting riffs anymore. I must be partially to blame because I can't pass up a VOD.

Its kind of funny how the whole project started out as a way to do movies other than the standard MST3K fare and then they ended up just doing those caliber movies anyway.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Can you imagine the cross-over jokes with Batman and Robin??

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

muscles like this? posted:

Its kind of funny how the whole project started out as a way to do movies other than the standard MST3K fare and then they ended up just doing those caliber movies anyway.

The VOD's are great if it's making them money and keeping them going, but I'm a giant raving lunatic of a fan and I'd really like more big budget MP3 releases. Avengers, Hunger Games and Twilight 5 were killer.

And no VOD, even Guy from Harlem, can touch the awe-inspiring beauty of the Titanic riff.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I love the big budget riffs but some of the shorts are amazing. Love That Car had me crying.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Watched The Apple and Psycho II VODs one after the other.

The Apple edges out Psycho II on the hilarity, but this was a film I'd long wanted to witness a trax for due to its notoriety. My reaction upon finishing it was something like "What the hell did I just watch!?" The movie's rather weak biblical metaphors weren't helping. Also, I didn't quite get why this one music company having a popular act granted them totalitarian control over everyone...apparently everywhere in the world...and only a small group of California hippies get Raptured. Take that, Canada! But in a weird warped little way, I kind of got into how bad this movie was. Though I nearly lost it at the "disco sex".

Psycho II...is apparently a well-liked film? I'm not really that sure why. It wasn't awful like the Apple, and I'll grant Anthony Perkins was giving a great performance. But...they kind of nailed the biggest problem with the film in the trax early on. None of this is remotely believable. The mass murderer being released back into the same town and even the same house that caused his problems in the first place, with no supervision? Yea, yea, they try to handwave this with "budget cuts", but no. Just...no. This did not happen. This does not happen. And how did he manage to keep the house and the estate for 20 years despite being involuntarily committed? Pretty sure the victims would have sued for it in restitution in the meantime.

And the only person that's upset, in 1980s Reagan America, is one old lady? I also despised the cheap attempts to make it tie in to the first film. The entire Lila Loomis plot is convoluted sequel wanking. The cops are complete dipshits. And hey, how come the Loggia character didn't tell the cops about the Loomises stalking a mentally deranged serial killer to try and make him flip out and kill someone? I'm pretty sure that's a crime.

I was also amazing how much this movie relied on stealing from the first film - the shower scene, the sandwich scene? And when it wasn't doing that, it was just mimicking other 1980s slasher films by trying to be more in-your-face gory and sexy. Heck, it even dragged in some disposable horny teenagers. And the ending plot twist to Friday the 13th. The only really interesting twist was making Norman a sympathetic time bomb...a concept that would have worked in a movie that wasn't carrying a lot of baggage off of the name recognition of a better film.

Man, this movie was just awful. Unlike the Apple, which was right up my "hilariously awful" alley, I think this one just made me angry.

I felt like both Trax were solid. I was concerned Psycho would be repeating the same material too quickly, but the riffers getting as ticked as I was helped a lot. I felt like in the Apple, they managed to difficult task of riding the wave of insanity.

Something that's starting to get to me about Rifftrax vs. MST3K though - Mike often sounds like he's performing jokes for an audience. It's a little distracting since Bill and Kevin generally sound as if they're having some fun with a movie they're in the process of watching. Hard to explain, but compare his joke delivery between any given MST3K episode (especially the Sci-Fi episodes) and here.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Rebochan posted:

Psycho II...is apparently a well-liked film? I'm not really that sure why. It wasn't awful like the Apple, and I'll grant Anthony Perkins was giving a great performance. But...they kind of nailed the biggest problem with the film in the trax early on. None of this is remotely believable. The mass murderer being released back into the same town and even the same house that caused his problems in the first place, with no supervision? Yea, yea, they try to handwave this with "budget cuts", but no. Just...no. This did not happen. This does not happen. And how did he manage to keep the house and the estate for 20 years despite being involuntarily committed? Pretty sure the victims would have sued for it in restitution in the meantime.

And the only person that's upset, in 1980s Reagan America, is one old lady? I also despised the cheap attempts to make it tie in to the first film. The entire Lila Loomis plot is convoluted sequel wanking. The cops are complete dipshits. And hey, how come the Loggia character didn't tell the cops about the Loomises stalking a mentally deranged serial killer to try and make him flip out and kill someone? I'm pretty sure that's a crime.

I was also amazing how much this movie relied on stealing from the first film - the shower scene, the sandwich scene? And when it wasn't doing that, it was just mimicking other 1980s slasher films by trying to be more in-your-face gory and sexy. Heck, it even dragged in some disposable horny teenagers. And the ending plot twist to Friday the 13th. The only really interesting twist was making Norman a sympathetic time bomb...a concept that would have worked in a movie that wasn't carrying a lot of baggage off of the name recognition of a better film.

Man, this movie was just awful. Unlike the Apple, which was right up my "hilariously awful" alley, I think this one just made me angry.

On the other hand, Meg Tilly :allears:

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Dissapointed Owl posted:

On the other hand, Meg Tilly :allears:

Fair point.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Rebochan posted:

Not according to Officer Friendly. :downs: He gave that lovely speech about how certain things can be wrong but not against the law. You know, like inciting others to violence. Which isn't a crime, of course.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

So uh. I'm watching The Apple. This, um. This certainly is a uh....thing.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So here's a hell of a thing:

I might actually have to watch Dr Who again.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Aaaaand the internet nerdgasmed.

I totally planned on not buying any more of these for awhile buuuut...I can make an exception.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

So uh. I'm watching The Apple. This, um. This certainly is a uh....thing.

That's the most coherent summary of that film I've seen yet.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

IUG posted:

So here's a hell of a thing:

I might actually have to watch Dr Who again.

Oh god, I can already hear the Grand Moff Who jokes, and they are glorious.

I actually pounded my fist on my desk in excitement. This is gonna be loving epic. (Also I hope they get the sequel.)

Oh, and before you ask, V-O-D!!!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Rebochan posted:

That's the most coherent summary of that film I've seen yet.

I crammed that, Viva Knievel, and Breaker Breaker into a 24 hour period. I think I'm officially done with the entire 1977-1980 time period now, thanks.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
So Psycho 2.

They really made a movie where the townsfolk get together and have a "forgive and forget" attitude about the local serial killer.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

So Psycho 2.

They really made a movie where the townsfolk get together and have a "forgive and forget" attitude about the local serial killer.

Yeah, I killed a bunch of people but I'm feeling a lot better now.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I am unnaturally giddy that they're apparently doing so well.

How are they able to do the VOD of Dr. Who? Isn't that still under copy right?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Burkion posted:

I am unnaturally giddy that they're apparently doing so well.

How are they able to do the VOD of Dr. Who? Isn't that still under copy right?

It's probably extremely cheap to license.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Yeah, it's not like they're doing the actual show. This is a cheap film adaptation made back in the mid-60s when the show was still new. I don't think the BBC has any control over it.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
It's pretty much canonically ignored, it's a very weird case. Looking forward to the riff!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Also in the movie The Doctor is not an alien, but a human. They are also just remakes of two Dalek serials.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

I think it says more about how much these VODs are making that they're able to start grabbing films with slightly higher profiles.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just got a Kickstarter Email saying they got the rights to Starship Troopers. So awesome.

EDIT: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rifftrax/rifftrax-wants-to-riff-twilight-live-in-theaters-n/posts/488630

IUG fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 22, 2013

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, unfortunately Summit wouldn't budge on the Twilight rights.

The email also mentions that if you did the backer tier that would get you a digital version of the show it might not happen (apparently its two different departments at the studio involving the theater and home release) but they're working on it.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Starship Troopers is a bad choice though. That movie has its tongue firmly in its cheek.

e: The more I think about the worse the idea is. They'll be mocking a satirical piece.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, unfortunately Summit wouldn't budge on the Twilight rights.

That's a drat shame, they would have made tons of money. At least Sony knows a good deal when they see it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apparently the big issue is that Summit feels that Twilight is still a brand they can mine for more money and that publicly okaying something that deliberately mocks it is a bad idea. However they're open to work with Mike and the guys sometime down the line when the brand dies down a little.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Still up in the air on the digital copy though. Hoping for the best.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Does anyone know what time they're doing the live show? I thought they said sometime in August, but I can't find a date, if they did mention one at all.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

August 15 according to the email.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
BUT WHAT OF SUPER MARIO BROS?!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'm fine with this choice even if it wasn't on that list they put on the site. But this will have a odd moment of them riffing on a movie featuring a person who was with them on a past rifftrax (Neil Patrick Harris). Wonder if they can get him to join the show.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Starship Troopers is a bad choice though. That movie has its tongue firmly in its cheek.

e: The more I think about the worse the idea is. They'll be mocking a satirical piece.

Mike Nelson reads it straight so it's cool.

BUT WHAT OF SUPER MARIO BROS?!

As fun as Starship Troopers will probably be, I would have preferred this. I do wish Disney would work out whatever they need to at least put out an HD transfer of the drat thing.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

parasyte posted:

Mike Nelson reads it straight so it's cool.

Hahaha, nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm pretty bummed about not being able to see a live RiffTrax of Twilight :( Starship Troopers might be alright, but I'm not nearly as excited about that as I was for live Twilight.

• Locked thread