Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Starship Troopers is a bad choice though. That movie has its tongue firmly in its cheek.

e: The more I think about the worse the idea is. They'll be mocking a satirical piece.

The only satirical elements seem to be the explicit parodies of propaganda, though. Everything else feels like it's played pretty straight, which is why ST is such a failure compared to something like Robocop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wonder how they will handle the sex scene that happens midway into the movie. Or since this movie is R, they might just not worry about it?

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

They usually go off into some unrelated skit. Hopefully they do something better than the awful Disembaudio stuff in the Room riff.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

The nude part in Psycho II was pretty fun.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I haven't seen Starship Troopers so I don't know how graphic anything is, but since they don't need to worry about people syncing the commentary at home they could just use the TV version of the movie if they wanted.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

They also do a skit of sorts for 300. Saying how it's unfortunate that "guy" has fatty male upper torso tissue or something.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

bobservo posted:

The only satirical elements seem to be the explicit parodies of propaganda, though. Everything else feels like it's played pretty straight, which is why ST is such a failure compared to something like Robocop.

The only thing played straight at the performances, everything else is very over the top. It's one of my favorite movies so I'm sort of excited just to see it on the big screen. I imagine they'll find plenty to make fun of too. I wish they had gotten Mario Bros or something like that, but whatever.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
It's a satire but it's quite easy to miss. Much like other films, you can still appreciate it while making fun of it, like Casablanca, Star Trek II, and Highlander.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Well that's disappointing. The only thing I know about Starship Troopers is that it's a satire that nobody seemed to understand (or accept?) which seems terrible for Rifftrax. It'd be like making fun of Spaceballs.

At least I'll have Norman.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Eh, not really. While Starship Troopers has satire its not really a "joke-y" movie. It plays everything so straightfaced that this will be pretty funny.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Yeeeeah, I'm not sold on this. Starship Troopers' satire is your-milage-may-vary (I personally think it's pretty obvious, but I know a lot of people who don't see it), but it was still designed as a satire that's equally taking potshots at the original novel, military propaganda and bloated action movies. It's only a few steps away from riffing on Tropic Thunder.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The Fifth Element also has tongue-in-cheek moments and that Riff is perfectly fine too (and just Mike). Hell, I'll say that movie is practically a comedy scifi movie.

"Uh oh, the soundtrack's getting whimsical again".

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
My favorite moments in Riffs is when the guys don't even bother making a joke, just laugh (Aro's laugh in Twilight, Norman offering a sandwich via shovel). Also nice when you hear them chuckling at each others jokes.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Olivia42 posted:

At least I'll have Norman.

Like a balloon full of sadness slowly deflating.

UGHHHHHH...

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Halfway through the Doctor Who one, it's pretty great! A movie most deserving of a riffing, goddamn..

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Kojiro posted:

Halfway through the Doctor Who one, it's pretty great! A movie most deserving of a riffing, goddamn..

No kidding. It certainly doesn't hurt that it sounds like Bill in particular is a big Who Fan.

edit: Something comes to mind, why do they always use the name Carl?

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 23, 2013

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
I've bought the Doctor Who one, only the second VOD I've ever bought. (#1 was Setting Up A Room)

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

BrooklynBruiser posted:

I've bought the Doctor Who one, only the second VOD I've ever bought. (#1 was Setting Up A Room)

I think it's time for you to Shake Hands With Danger, dum dum dum.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Make your third Guy From Harlem.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

No, get yourself Santa Meets The Ice Cream Bunny. It has little to do with Christmas (or sanity).

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
I just saw the previews for the Daleks and god I love references to MST3K.

"Look at this, two stupid robots sitting in front of a dumb movie"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

My God, I'm not sure I can make it through this terrible Dr. Who thing. The walking trashcan robots are talking so slow that I think I'm going to end up insane. This is my first exposure to anything involving Dr. Who and Holy poo poo I don't ever want to watch another second of this crap. At least the riff is funny but man this is some terrible stuff.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Deadpool posted:

My God, I'm not sure I can make it through this terrible Dr. Who thing. The walking trashcan robots are talking so slow that I think I'm going to end up insane. This is my first exposure to anything involving Dr. Who and Holy poo poo I don't ever want to watch another second of this crap. At least the riff is funny but man this is some terrible stuff.

My first exposure to Dr. Who was in the late 70s on PBS. The TARDIS was invaded by some sort of monsters in poorly fitting rubber suits with crotches that hung down to the knees. They walked slower than a Romero zombie.

This is probably going to be as bad.

SpaceGodzilla
Sep 24, 2012

I sure hope Godzilla-senpai notices me~

Deadpool posted:

You wouldn't judge all of Star Wars by the holiday special, would you? Non-canon, different creative team, cynical cash-in... I'd say that the situation is pretty similar. I'll just say that when people say they're a fan of Dr. Who, they're definitely not talking about this movie (or its sequel, yes it somehow got a sequel).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

What's the production backstory for this thing anyway? Its Dr Who but not realy Dr Who?

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

What's the production backstory for this thing anyway? Its Dr Who but not realy Dr Who?

Cheapy movie made to cash on that weird TV show. Also it's a great example of bad British cinema and why I, personally, simultaneously love and loathe it. Then again I watched Yellow Submarine a lot when I was younger. Anyway, MST3K has good examples of Bad British Cinema like Devil Doll, The Projected Man, The Deadly Bees, and Gorgo. A lot of them are just terribly dull.

Then again, I have to say Rifftrax summed it up well

Rifftrax posted:

ATTENTION, WHOVIANS! (For the uninitiated, that is not something Jay-Z yells at the beginning of a song, it’s a name for Doctor Who fans)

Before Matt Smith, before David Tennant, before Christopher Eccleston, before even the scarf and afro guy, there was Peter Cushing. Well, not before, exactly, because this feature-length movie isn’t a canonical part of the Doctor Who universe or storyline. So it’s sort of more adjacent, than before. It’s nearby, if nothing else. Approximate, at least. Like, Dr. Who is in it! But instead of a mysterious Timelord alien, he’s kind of just a confused human grandpa with the last name Who. But he does have a TARDIS! Of course, instead of a disguised alien craft it’s just, like, this junky thing he made with his granddaughter. Oh yeah, he hangs out with his granddaughters. Yeah. But then they travel through space and fight the most classic Dr. Who bad guys of all, the Daleks! Of course, in this imagining of Dr. Who, the Daleks are just some dopey trashcan looking guys with plungers sticking out of ‘em that talk funny -- oh, that’s how they still are? Seriously?? PERFECT! IT’S CANON AFTER ALL!

So no matter how much you know, don’t know, or don’t want to know about Dr. Who, this movie will fill your needs. Plus, the RiffTrax itself is totally canon, and an official part of the Mike, Kevin, and Bill timeline (unlike that regrettable one-off TV special, “RiffTrax goes to Hawaii”, which shall never be spoken of again). Exterminate Dr. Who and the Daleks today!

LP97S fucked around with this message at 13:08 on May 24, 2013

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Deadpool posted:

I watched "the best" Dr. Who (Christopher Eccleston) and it was like a high school theater production of Star Trek: The Original Series.

So if this one is so bad the Dr. Who fans hate it, I can't wait to watch it.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
Just watch from when Matt Smith takes over in series 5, it's a big step up in production values.

If rifftrax could do Condorman then that'd pretty much be my childhood film memories covered.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Deadpool posted:

Although the Daleks still talk in those grating voices in the regular series, they don't do it nearly as slow. In the series, they pretty much bark out every word in a rage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZyHn3jWhyo

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Although the Daleks still talk in those grating voices in the regular series, they don't do it nearly as slow. In the series, they pretty much bark out every word in a rage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZyHn3jWhyo

Is that clip supposed to sell me on the show being better? Because if so that's really unfortunate. It looked just as stupid and cheesy. I thought this was a fairly popular show, why does it have the budget of a grade school production?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Deadpool posted:

Is that clip supposed to sell me on the show being better? Because if so that's really unfortunate. It looked just as stupid and cheesy. I thought this was a fairly popular show, why does it have the budget of a grade school production?

Dr. Who is stupid and cheesy. I've always found it charming, like watching original Star Trek episodes. I mean there was an episode where the monster of the week was an inflatable pool chair painted black.

An inflatable pool chair painted black.

:allears:

e: Found the clip!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXrAK6sUZ_0

SpaceGodzilla
Sep 24, 2012

I sure hope Godzilla-senpai notices me~

Deadpool posted:

Do you realize that we're in a thread about the spiritual successor to mst3k, a show where the robots were literally puppets made out of garbage?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SpaceGodzilla posted:

Do you realize that we're in a thread about the spiritual successor to mst3k, a show where the robots were literally puppets made out of garbage?

Of course, but having never really paid any attention to Dr. Who outside of hearing people profess their love for it I'd always assumed it was some kind of respectable Scifi show and not a goofy low budget mess.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Deadpool posted:

Of course, but having never really paid any attention to Dr. Who outside of hearing people profess their love for it I'd always assumed it was some kind of respectable Scifi show and not a goofy low budget mess.

Should we tell Deadpool about Lost in Space? :v:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mister Kingdom posted:

or Star Trek TOS

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mister Kingdom posted:

I was more referring to the newer clip that was posted. I kind of expect stuff from the '50s and '60s to be like that. That newer clip couldn't be more that 10 years old and it's just as low budget and terrible.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Deadpool posted:

I was more referring to the newer clip that was posted. I kind of expect stuff from the '50s and '60s to be like that. That newer clip couldn't be more that 10 years old and it's terrible.

I think it's more a nostalgia thing with the Brits. At least, I hope that's it.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
There's also the fact that it's a BBC show, which has minimal budgets compared to American shows as well as a different sense of editing.

Doctor Who has always been silly, and considered to be for children. But a lot of people on the internet take it too seriously, as nerds do with kids' shows.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Deadpool posted:

I was more referring to the newer clip that was posted. I kind of expect stuff from the '50s and '60s to be like that. That newer clip couldn't be more that 10 years old and it's just as low budget and terrible.

What kind of shows are watching for budget? I mean the newer Dr. Who is filmed in Wales and back when it started in 05 it had a seasonal budget of around £10 million. Also, it's from the BBC and if you want to see low budget BBC sci-fi check out Red Dwarf, some of it's sets make MST3K look like a NBC production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Deadpool posted:

Seriously, I had a friend who loves Doctor Who so much and when I finally saw it I couldn't really reconcile the nerd love it gets from all quarters with the poo poo heap of a show. Awful unwatchable stuff.

• Locked thread