Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
I just saw Iron Man 3 at the Alamo Drafthouse, and before the movie they were showing clips from Iron Man cartoons and other things the actors had done. One of the clips they showed repeatedly was Robert Downey Jr barking into a mirror or something, it sounded like he was saying "hut hut hut hut" over and over again. He had a kind of jheri curl haircut - does anyone know what movie this is from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyle
Apr 29, 2013
This one will be easy, I'm sure.

All I know about this movie is it's about two people who are traveling together for some reason. One of them is played by Richard King. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Kind There's a point in the movie where Richard King's character goes on a long monologue about how a lot of people like him and he's not gonna change who he is, very vague I know but that's all I remember. There's some cheesy 80's synths playing while he makes the monologue. Family Guy parodied the monologue, where Peter did it verbatim if I remember right, with the same music.

Captain Equinox
Sep 15, 2005

By day a mild-mannered college professor, by night Kiki, go-go dancer at the Pussycat Club. But twice a year, he's... CAPTAIN EQUINOX!

The Pirate Captain posted:

it sounded like he was saying "hut hut hut hut" over and over again

If it was a football movie, that's probably Johnny Be Good.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095409/

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Captain Equinox posted:

If it was a football movie, that's probably Johnny Be Good.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095409/

Thanks, but I don't think that's it, his haircut was different, curlier. The "hut hut hut" wasn't really in a football-sense, which sounds weird but I'm not sure how to describe it - it was more of just a random sound than something that had any particular meaning.

Edit: it did look like an 80's movie though.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame
Might be two girls and a guy. There is a pretty bizarre mirror scene in that one.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Nyle posted:

This one will be easy, I'm sure.

All I know about this movie is it's about two people who are traveling together for some reason. One of them is played by Richard King. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Kind There's a point in the movie where Richard King's character goes on a long monologue about how a lot of people like him and he's not gonna change who he is, very vague I know but that's all I remember. There's some cheesy 80's synths playing while he makes the monologue. Family Guy parodied the monologue, where Peter did it verbatim if I remember right, with the same music.

That's from Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, but the actor was John Candy.

Captain Equinox
Sep 15, 2005

By day a mild-mannered college professor, by night Kiki, go-go dancer at the Pussycat Club. But twice a year, he's... CAPTAIN EQUINOX!

He had a kind of jheri curl haircut - does anyone know what movie this is from?

The only other movie I can remember where he had curly hair was Back to School, also from the 80's.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090685/

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

I just saw Iron Man 3 at the Alamo Drafthouse, and before the movie they were showing clips from Iron Man cartoons and other things the actors had done. One of the clips they showed repeatedly was Robert Downey Jr barking into a mirror or something, it sounded like he was saying "hut hut hut hut" over and over again. He had a kind of jheri curl haircut - does anyone know what movie this is from?

Was he also in blackface? Cause it could be Tropic Thunder.

Spydey
Apr 26, 2004
tingling feeling in my arachnads
What's the movie where the villan has some kind of purple virus spreading through his body and he needs to kill (or do something similarily villainous) to get the serum to cure/prevent the virus from spreading further?

Sorry, I know that's a vague description but can someone help me out here? I have no recollection of where or how long ago I saw this.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

Spydey posted:

What's the movie where the villan has some kind of purple virus spreading through his body and he needs to kill (or do something similarily villainous) to get the serum to cure/prevent the virus from spreading further?

Sorry, I know that's a vague description but can someone help me out here? I have no recollection of where or how long ago I saw this.

Crank, starring Jason Statham?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Spydey posted:

There's Escape from New York or Escape from LA. In both of them they force Snake into the mission by doing something to him, in the New York they plant micro-explosives in him, in LA a woman scratches him infecting him with a disease.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Spydey posted:

I'm pretty sure this is Batman & Robin.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Kaizoku posted:

Was he also in blackface? Cause it could be Tropic Thunder.

No, it was definitely an 80's movie. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, I'll check out the possibilities you've given.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

The Pick-Up Artist? There's a scene of him talking into a mirror:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dD1ElgYYug

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

A TV program from maybe five years ago showed a clip from a black-and-white film, in which a man was speaking, maybe confessing something, near some windows with rain rolling down them. The shadow of the falling raindrops were cast on the man's face as he spoke, imitating tears, which the program pointed out as an interesting bit of cinematography. Every search for a film using rain as symbolic tears just leads me to Blade Runner quotes, so I'm hoping someone can help me identify this.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

ajkalan posted:

A TV program from maybe five years ago showed a clip from a black-and-white film, in which a man was speaking, maybe confessing something, near some windows with rain rolling down them. The shadow of the falling raindrops were cast on the man's face as he spoke, imitating tears, which the program pointed out as an interesting bit of cinematography. Every search for a film using rain as symbolic tears just leads me to Blade Runner quotes, so I'm hoping someone can help me identify this.

Definitely In Cold Blood (1967). Just saw it for the first time a few weeks ago. Great movie.

Spydey
Apr 26, 2004
tingling feeling in my arachnads

scary ghost dog posted:

I'm pretty sure this is Batman & Robin.

Was there a purple virus spreading through a villan's body in Batman and Robin?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

ajkalan posted:

A TV program from maybe five years ago showed a clip from a black-and-white film

I know you already got your answer for the movie, but for those interested, the clip was in the documentary Visions of Light, which is about cinematography from the beginning of film up to modern day (which would have been 1992 when the doc was made). There are interviews with some pretty important cinematographers, like Sven Nykvist, Néstor Almendros, and Laszlo Kovacs. I saw it in a film class back in college, and I recall it was quite good. I'd suggest checking it out for anyone interested in the subject matter being discussed by people that know what they're doing.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

This has been bothering my roommate and I for a couple of weeks now and we can't figure it out to save our lives.

No more than a month or two ago we were watching something on tv that I think may have been a making-of documentary, and the particular scene I'm thinking of involved a giraffe poking its head through a window and picking at the main character's dinner plate. I think the actor talked about how strange it was to have a giraffe stick its head through a window and eat off his plate, but I also might just be making up this whole "making-of documentary" thing up? The point is there is a movie out there in which a giraffe sticks its head through a window and eats off a rich guy's dinner plate.

Also, if it helps, the window is on the left side of the frame, so the giraffe's head moves from the left to the right, and the main character (at least I assume it's the main character) is facing us. So... there's that.

e: vvv if only

romanowski fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 7, 2013

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

romanowski posted:

This has been bothering my roommate and I for a couple of weeks now and we can't figure it out to save our lives.

No more than a month or two ago we were watching something on tv that I think may have been a making-of documentary, and the particular scene I'm thinking of involved a giraffe poking its head through a window and picking at the main character's dinner plate. I think the actor talked about how strange it was to have a giraffe stick its head through a window and eat off his plate, but I also might just be making up this whole "making-of documentary" thing up? The point is there is a movie out there in which a giraffe sticks its head through a window and eats off a rich guy's dinner plate.

Also, if it helps, the window is on the left side of the frame, so the giraffe's head moves from the left to the right, and the main character (at least I assume it's the main character) is facing us. So... there's that.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

romanowski posted:

e: vvv if only

I'm pretty sure this is from Walk Hard, but I could be wrong. I've never watched the making of, but I think I remember that scene from the movie.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

codyclarke posted:

Definitely In Cold Blood (1967). Just saw it for the first time a few weeks ago. Great movie.

Thank you, I'll finally be able to watch it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ClydeUmney posted:

I'm pretty sure this is from Walk Hard, but I could be wrong. I've never watched the making of, but I think I remember that scene from the movie.

Walk Hard is the only movie I can think of that this happens in.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

ClydeUmney posted:

Oh wow that was definitely it, thanks! I've also never seen the making of so I have no idea where that came from, but I guess any time I have a vague memory of something I start to make up a bunch of stuff around it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'd like to identify two indie films I've got bouncing around in my head. The first is about a ballet school where the students arrive in coffins and are welcomed into a demanding and kafkaesque practice schedule leading to a final performance/auction for wealthy patrons. I'm like 99% sure it's an actual film and not something I dreamt.
The other starts off in black and white, somewhere South America, and a wealthy younger cousin has come to stay with his estranged and distant relative and his live-in girlfriend. They connect, find the younger a girlfriend from among the cabaret theatre that the elder sulkily writes for, family secrets revealed etc etc and it somehow shifts into a heavily The Red Shoes-inspired ballet sequence as they return to America for a funeral for their composer patriarch. Or something.
Both should be early 2000s, but I watched them on DVD so I can't get more precise.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'd like to identify two indie films I've got bouncing around in my head. The first is about a ballet school where the students arrive in coffins and are welcomed into a demanding and kafkaesque practice schedule leading to a final performance/auction for wealthy patrons. I'm like 99% sure it's an actual film and not something I dreamt.

Innocence

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I'm trying to remember a movie suggestion, so I haven't actually seen the movie in question. It's about a serial killer, but apparently there's no gore or much violence at all, and it might actually be slice-of-life, from the killer's perspective. I want to say it's an American movie, but I can't pinpoint the year; I can only give a wide berth from the mid-80s to the early 00s.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

a radii hike posted:

I'm trying to remember a movie suggestion, so I haven't actually seen the movie in question. It's about a serial killer, but apparently there's no gore or much violence at all, and it might actually be slice-of-life, from the killer's perspective. I want to say it's an American movie, but I can't pinpoint the year; I can only give a wide berth from the mid-80s to the early 00s.

This is probably one of the many made for TV/video movies about Ted Bundy as most of then take this route. They do have some serious violence in them but the description made me think of both Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer and Ed Gein as well.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

a radii hike posted:

It sounds a lot like The Minus Man.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

SaintFu posted:

It sounds a lot like The Minus Man.
Thank you, that's what I was thinking of.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

A movie I remember my dad watching in the 80s on HBO or something. Probably a Vietnam War setting, opening scene is all I remember and it's an American thrown into a walled jail cell and the cell filled up to about his waist with water, I think he would have to poo poo and piss in it and it would also be his drinking water.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

A movie I remember my dad watching in the 80s on HBO or something. Probably a Vietnam War setting, opening scene is all I remember and it's an American thrown into a walled jail cell and the cell filled up to about his waist with water, I think he would have to poo poo and piss in it and it would also be his drinking water.

The Deer Hunter?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

nocal posted:

The Deer Hunter?

I don't think so. Asked elsewhere and Hanoi Hilton was suggested, but can't find any clips on YT so I'm not sure.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
I have memory of a scene and cannot place the film. It's around 1920-1940 I think (based on clothing) and a lady is trying to pull a baby carriage up some stairs in a train station. There's a law enforcement guy at the top of the stairs waiting for her to get out of the way because "something" is about to happen when the clock strikes the hour. Ring any bells?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

frenchnewwave posted:

I have memory of a scene and cannot place the film. It's around 1920-1940 I think (based on clothing) and a lady is trying to pull a baby carriage up some stairs in a train station. There's a law enforcement guy at the top of the stairs waiting for her to get out of the way because "something" is about to happen when the clock strikes the hour. Ring any bells?

Probably The Untouchables. (Or Naked Gun 33 1/3.)

morestuff fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 20, 2013

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

frenchnewwave posted:

If it's colour, it's probably The Untouchables. If it was black and white, it would be The Battleship Potemkin. De Palma homaged the scene.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

regulargonzalez posted:

It very quickly goes into cold war sci-fi stuff, but the beginning of Firefox has some flashbacks to this situation.

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.
This is quoted verbatim from an email I just received from my stepfather:

FCD's possibly crazy old man posted:

I think I saw the film (only once) about 50 years ago (in the middle to late 60's or perhaps in the 70's). I believe it was a French film (perhaps Italian?); that it was in black and white; was about a young couple (but possibly two men, or just one man), driving in the countryside (on an unplanned adventure, or perhaps with a destination in mind but lost, or their car breaks down and they hitch a ride (I would assume to the nearest town or their destination), but instead end up deserted at a remote, desolate (foggy and/or dark?) crossroads, eventually come across an old dilapidated house with an adjacent large old barn or warehouse, around which various junk yard parts and objects are strewn on the unattended weedy landscape.

I don't remember whether the owner is present when they arrive, or the place appears deserted, most likely the latter, they enter to explore the house, and at some point the owner, a strange old recluse and putative inventor, returns.

I remember little of what subsequently transpires, other than the couple ends up staying as guests for a period of time (a weekend? a week? a fortnight?) during which time they discover more about the old man and his strange ideas (some of which likely involves birds and/or flying).

The only thing else I remember is that the film ends with the visitors discovering that the old man has perfected what he has been secretly working on for a long time; that he has constructed a contraption consisting of a very large set of wings made of many bird feathers which he has harnessed himself into (like the mythological Icarus); and as they watch in amazement, the old man starts to move the wings up and down trying them out, and then, however improbable, he suddenly takes off through the wide open doors of the warehouse, and ascends into the (darkening?) sky, to some (unknown? known and long sought?) destination with the sense that he will never return.

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah
I'm trying to remember a movie from probably the mid90s that I remember seeing bits of on television. It's either a horror or(most likely) a horror anthology movie. The only bits I can remember are from one bit of it.

The scene starts, it's in a graveyard, zombies come up and start after the people in the graveyard, as they're closing in the camera pulls back and we see that it's a clip from a movie based on the main characters novel/short story/whatever, and that they're interviewing him on the show. I don't really remember too much after that, until he starts seeing this thing coming up behind him when he looks in mirrors, and it ends up causing him to have a breakdown. His girlfriend gets him home, covers over all the mirrors and they think it's going ok, until he looks into her eyes and sees the thing coming up behind him reflected in them. It starts strangling him, he starts thrashing around on the bed, she can't see what's attacking him, then he's suddenly transformed into the thing that was attacking him, a kind of phantom of the opera looking thing that I think jumps out the window.

I'm pretty sure this was a movie, and not one of the old horror anthology shows, but I could very easily be mistaken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gimpalimpa posted:

For the last 25 years, I've have a snapshot of a bad movie or TV show haunt me based on a 15 second clip I saw when I was like 5 (1987). There are maybe four guys sleeping and then they are roughly woken up and hoods are put on them. Their hands are handcuffed behind their backs and ski boots are put on their feet. They are then walked to a....water slide and slid into a swimming pool of water. After this, I was shooed out of the room because I was too young. Now that I am old and callused, what the gently caress was this movie?

I'm pretty sure this was an episode of "21 Jump Street".