Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Copra is literally one of the best reviewed books of last year:

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/11/13/michel-fiffe-copra-review/
http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2012/12/31/michel-fiffes-copra-shouldnt-be-overlooked/

etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

That looks awesome, does he have any plans to make it available digitally?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is there going to be more Beasts of Burden someday?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Brian Wood's Conan the Barbarian is the book I anticipate the most every month. Every artist and every story has been a home run except for maybe one. Conan and Belit have one of the most emotionally potent romances I've ever read in a comic; it's chock full of passion, guilt, violence, bliss, and sorrow. The two are written eloquently as equals who challenge one another, and the power of their relationship sends ripples through the societies they encounter; a freaking war starts because they have a falling out. They're just that badass.

The latest issue is a highlight, with their decision to take some crazy hallucinogenic drug and go on this psychedelically-infused quest together. Conan talks to a Bear God. Seriously, everyone should read this book.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Brian Wood's Conan the Barbarian is the book I anticipate the most every month. Every artist and every story has been a home run except for maybe one. Conan and Belit have one of the most emotionally potent romances I've ever read in a comic; it's chock full of passion, guilt, violence, bliss, and sorrow. The two are written eloquently as equals who challenge one another, and the power of their relationship sends ripples through the societies they encounter; a freaking war starts because they have a falling out. They're just that badass.

The latest issue is a highlight, with their decision to take some crazy hallucinogenic drug and go on this psychedelically-infused quest together. Conan talks to a Bear God. Seriously, everyone should read this book.

Yeah, one of the things I flat out love about the new Conan series is that so many die hard Conan fans loathe it for not being REH's misogynistic gore fest. Have been a fan of the series since I read the first arc, and my only complaint is that I wish Cloonan could do the whole thing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bairfanx posted:

Yeah, one of the things I flat out love about the new Conan series is that so many die hard Conan fans loathe it for not being REH's misogynistic gore fest. Have been a fan of the series since I read the first arc, and my only complaint is that I wish Cloonan could do the whole thing.

:( I'm a die hard Conan fan and I don't think the misogyny was ever any fun. Also correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this comic super gory in its own right?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

:( I'm a die hard Conan fan and I don't think the misogyny was ever any fun. Also correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this comic super gory in its own right?

I was always a Conan fan, despite never having read many of the Howard originals or the comics. So when the Centenary Edition came out a few years back the extreme casual racism and misogyny was a huge shocker. Wood's Conan is everything I want from a Conan story. It's true to the spirit of Howard but without the backwards attitudes of that day and age.

EDIT: Totally forgot why I clicked this thread to begin with! Gillen's Uber is out. It is great and sets up a very chilling take on WW2+powers.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 09:47 on May 16, 2013

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Soonmot posted:

I was always a Conan fan, despite never having read many of the Howard originals or the comics. So when the Centenary Edition came out a few years back the extreme casual racism and misogyny was a huge shocker. Wood's Conan is everything I want from a Conan story. It's true to the spirit of Howard but without the backwards attitudes of that day and age.

The Marvel comics were pretty good at keeping that stuff out. Conan is kind of sexist in them, but for the most part that's presented as a character flaw, not a just view of the world. I hate to think that most Conan fans are of the "YOU HAVE COME TO A WORLD CALLED GOR *whipcrack*" variety.

At any rate I guess I should check out Wood's comics.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Wood has said he's gotten some really vicious hate mail because he, you know, fleshed out the character.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Wood has said he's gotten some really vicious hate mail because he, you know, fleshed out the character.

Sometimes I loving hate nerds.

Wood's run starts with the 13th collected volume, right? What's the consensus on the stuff before that?

asylum years
Feb 27, 2009

you knew i was a rattlesnake when you picked me up
The first Wood I've come to is The Massive, which I really like. If I start picking up Conan, should I just start where he began, or is there a better point before?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Even though there is a continuity, each arc is written well enough that you could pretty much start with any one of them. Obviously it is going to be more fulfilling to start with his #1.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

asylum years posted:

The first Wood I've come to is The Massive, which I really like. If I start picking up Conan, should I just start where he began, or is there a better point before?

Start where he began.

Also, The Massive has been amazing. I think it's better than DMZ at this point.

asylum years
Feb 27, 2009

you knew i was a rattlesnake when you picked me up

Start where he began.

Also, The Massive has been amazing. I think it's better than DMZ at this point.

Agreed. I'm not a huge comic guy, just follow a few series at a time, and it's one of them right now, along with Saga, Hawkeye, and East of West.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

bairfanx posted:

Holy gently caress yes, her issues were beautiful. I never imagined myself reading a Conan book, but Wood's story is great and the art is usually awesome.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Has anyone else been reading High Crimes?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

asylum years posted:

Kurt Busiek and Cary Nord made an absolutely beautiful run that kickstarted the Dark Horse series. It tapers off, but there is a lot of good there. Some of those pages are absolutely STELLAR.

Mar 27, 2003

It had no choice. Their defense grid was smashed. We'd won. Taking out Carr then would make no difference. Skynet had to wipe out his entire existence!
Did anyone else give Chin Music a shot? I loved the Tony Harris layouts but couldn't follow what was going on for the life of me.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I'm really loving the colorized Scott Pilgrim HC's. Have anyone else been picking these up?

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
A preview of EMPOWERED: ANIMAL STYLE is up at CBR

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
What's everyone's impressions of Joe Casey? I bought The Bounce #1 blind because promos for it have been popping up for what seems forever in the other Image books that I enjoy. Honestly, after reading this:

quote:

FIRST ISSUE SPECTACULAR!

Meet the ultimate slacker superhero for the 21st Century! Jasper Jenkins is a super-head AND a super-hero! He's relatable AND reliable and he's embarking on the adventure of a lifetime! The sensational debut of the new feel-good hero of the decade! You can't afford to miss it!

I probably shoulda known better. The whole idea of the stoner superhero isn't clicking with me and the military being played for dopes by the evil mastermind isn't anything new. I really can't find anything great to say about it. Has anyone else checked it out?

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

Fever Ridge from IDW is kind of interesting. The story is really slow to develop - the first two issues were really backsground. It's about a team of Alamo Scouts in New Guinea during World War II. It's interesting if you like World War II history or the Alamo Scouts. It's on #3 so far and art has been ok so far but I'm excited about #4 because the writer said they are going to take an expressionistic turn, a la The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari which I love.

The most interesting part is that so far each issue has had an essay 2-6 pages at the end about the history and ecology of New Guinea.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Joe Casey is one of the greats. He writes a lot of comics, and naturally a lot of them are either missteps or effortless cash-ins (like all those Marvel origins stories he has done - well, the X-men one is sorta good). It is a crime that Haunt was taken away from him and Nathan Fox - that was a nasty, sleazy and very energetic comic. Sex is a bit underwhelming, but I appreciate the introspected, calm take on the themes from last years Butcher Baker, Righteous Maker (one of the best 2012 books hell yeah) and the art by Piotr Kowalski is very good, reminds me of Paul Gulacy back when people knew how to color him.

And G0dland Finale is coming! Everyone should read G0dland.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Grabbed the first three Locke and Key collections off Comixology the other day on sale. Joe Hill definitely reflects his dad's style, which I'm totally alright with. He's got a good ear for dialogue. Even if the tropes he uses aren't the freshest, they provide some great visual fodder. And while I'm totally into Gabriel Rodriguez's great sense for bold, draftsman-like lines and beautiful interior spaces, his loving faces are annoying me to high holy hell. Every single character looks like a puppy that just got kicked in the balls.

Mar 27, 2003

It had no choice. Their defense grid was smashed. We'd won. Taking out Carr then would make no difference. Skynet had to wipe out his entire existence!

SinetheGuy posted:

Grabbed the first three Locke and Key collections off Comixology the other day on sale. Joe Hill definitely reflects his dad's style, which I'm totally alright with. He's got a good ear for dialogue. Even if the tropes he uses aren't the freshest, they provide some great visual fodder. And while I'm totally into Gabriel Rodriguez's great sense for bold, draftsman-like lines and beautiful interior spaces, his loving faces are annoying me to high holy hell. Every single character looks like a puppy that just got kicked in the balls.

Yeah, Locke and Key is one of my real favorites. I just hope he can break from his dad's style in regards to ending his stuff.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

7744 posted:

Yeah, Locke and Key is one of my real favorites. I just hope he can break from his dad's style in regards to ending his stuff.

I'm kind of worried about that. It seems like there's more that needs wrapped up than he has issues left.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

7744 posted:

What, you don't like underage sewer orgies?

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
In response to the Joe Casey thing, he is definitely one of the most inconsistent writers out there, having written some personal favorite comics of mine (Wildcats 3.0, Godland, Vengeance, and Codeflesh) while also writing some pretty boring stuff as well, which I think the Bounce falls under. I do actually like Sex currently, even though it basically great art combined with a shitload of talky-talk, but the last issue seemed to finally get the drat thing moving a little bit, so maybe that's something for people to watch for.

I do like the Terry Dodson-light art from the Bounce.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Change of subject: I got all caught up with Morning Glories because of a recent sale, but then I bought #27 and I can't stand it anymore. The book's slow enough as it is, reading it 20-30 pages at a time is just torture. Also, the multi-page recap with the cute characters at the end really annoyed me for some reason.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Just got the Skullkickers: Treasure Trove, which is a OSHC collecting the first 2 TPBs. I grew up playing D&D, but I really dislike fantasy now, and this book really just hit the right spot for me. It does a good job with a lot of elements that people tend to do very badly, the main characters are a dwarf and a big guy with a gun, they make quips and have adventures that are more late night roll-playing than lord of the rings. Its all fun light stuff, the stories are well crafted, and the background elements get increasingly silly.
Biggest complaints are probably that the colors were fairly poor in the first chunk of the book. I don't think it was a printing problem, I think the colorist may have just picked colors that tend to blend together, making the pages a chore, but by the end of the first trade things get comfortable. My book had some extra stories at the end, the first two were early anthology stories and weren't great, but the last chunk was stories by other authors and was pretty good (including the one by Clevinger).
If you want light elves and dwarves fantasy, this is worth grabbing.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I started picking up Skullkickers when they started the fake reboots and I'm loving it. The covers are loving great too.

Also I just picked up the Skullkickers Munchkin set at my local game shop. I really need to buy Munchkin now though...

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Senor Candle posted:

I started picking up Skullkickers when they started the fake reboots and I'm loving it. The covers are loving great too.

Also I just picked up the Skullkickers Munchkin set at my local game shop. I really need to buy Munchkin now though...

Skullkickers is amazing. I've been buying copies of the first trade for everyone I know who reads comics. It is far and away my favorite thing currently on stands.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
You know what's fun/cool to do now? Go back and re-read the two issue of The Private Eye now that we know the government is literally spying on everyone and recording every single thing everyone is doing on the internet at all times.

Also you should read it because it's a good comic but you know WHATEVER

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Kikkoman posted:

Change of subject: I got all caught up with Morning Glories because of a recent sale, but then I bought #27 and I can't stand it anymore. The book's slow enough as it is, reading it 20-30 pages at a time is just torture. Also, the multi-page recap with the cute characters at the end really annoyed me for some reason.

I hear that. I've been enjoying it, but having real trouble remembering what's going on when it's being trickled out 30 pages at a time. I recently went back and re-read the whole thing from 1 and it made so much more sense. Stuff that happened 10 comics back that was only 5 minutes ago in the timeline or whatever. Looking forward to season 2 but i think I might trade wait for it this time.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

krakagar posted:

I hear that. I've been enjoying it, but having real trouble remembering what's going on when it's being trickled out 30 pages at a time. I recently went back and re-read the whole thing from 1 and it made so much more sense. Stuff that happened 10 comics back that was only 5 minutes ago in the timeline or whatever. Looking forward to season 2 but i think I might trade wait for it this time.

Yeah it's the same for me. I binged the first 25 issues and absolutely loved it, but now with month long gaps between issues I find myself forgetting important elements of the plot (e.g. why the Truants are around, what their master plan is, etc). The recap at the end of this issue was useful, and the Study Hall blog is good for jogging my memory, but I think it's a series I'll appreciate a lot more once I can read the whole thing in one go.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I keep seeing Skullkickers recommended where's a good place to start?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Hollis posted:

I keep seeing Skullkickers recommended where's a good place to start?

First 2 TPBs are in Treasure Trove I, which is a nice OSHC

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Earlier in the thread, the UDON Street Fighter comics were brought up. Is there a recommended volume or collection? I had been looking at Street Fighter Legends: Ultimate Editon on Amazon, since it seems to be much cheaper than the other collections.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Max Wilco posted:

Earlier in the thread, the UDON Street Fighter comics were brought up. Is there a recommended volume or collection? I had been looking at Street Fighter Legends: Ultimate Editon on Amazon, since it seems to be much cheaper than the other collections.

That's cheaper because it only collects the character-focused sidestory minis, rather than the main comic. My recommendation is to just skip the main comic and get the Street Fighter Legends: Sakura trade. That's really all you need. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root
Jun 17, 2000

Booska mask replica...
I finally got around to checking out Giannis Milonogiannis' Tumblr and holy crap this guy is amazing... And the hardcover volume 1 of Old City Blues is on sale for ten bux!

And apparently when Giannis isn't busy drawing gorgeous comics he's teaching himself how to make vidja gaems