Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Odddzy posted:

I am looking for a big repository of Vray materials to learn how to make my own and learn a bit more of the ropes on the renderer.

http://viscorbel.com/vray-materials-theory/

I know a couple people who learned from this.

I used this - http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150SP1/material_params.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Thanks man! I'll check those out.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Sigma-X posted:

I'm sorry I hurt your precious baby feelings by not being tactful when I post late at night when you ask for people to rip into things. Next time someone asks me to rip into things I will be sure to check my art privilege.

Rest easy Sigma, you didn't hurt my feelings. It's the idea that I can't/shouldn't be snarky in return that I "got defensive" about, and that wasn't even you. I like the blunt criticism (or is it sharp?). It's a hell of a lot more useful than the lip service I've been getting for the past 3 years.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Cyne posted:

Dual-booting Windows on Macs is a pretty painless experience these days. I do it all the time to use Max on my MBP.

With all due respect, Macs take a lot more memory on average to run as well as a highend PC with the same amount of ram. Running a virtual OS eats up even more ram. The main difference these days between Mac vs. PC is the OS and the motherboard, and of course the price, but I digress . . .

I am interested in the best slate/tablet or highend laptop for sculpting zbrush on the go and am struggling with the issue of portability vs. power. Wanted to know who here sculpts and/or paints on a mobile computer and what do they recommend?

DiHK: It is nice to be nice. It is better to be honest. :)

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

sigma 6 posted:

With all due respect, Macs take a lot more memory on average to run as well as a highend PC with the same amount of ram. Running a virtual OS eats up even more ram. The main difference these days between Mac vs. PC is the OS and the motherboard, and of course the price, but I digress . . .

I'm actually talking about dual-booting, in which case you're running Windows completely native, rather than virtualization. I would definitely never try to do any serious 3D work through virtualization unless I had a really loaded machine.

I was actually responding to this guy, I know you're not in the market for a Mac. :)

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

As completely vain and pointless as it is, are there any pretty laptops that are decent for modelling? I'd have another mbp but I want to use alias vray and maxwell so need windows. It's be nice to have something aesthetically beautiful.

My buddy who does max/maya plugin development work just picked one up for his home 3d machine:

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/pdet.to?poid=2000040278

I think I'll end up picking one similar to it, I've seen a version of it at frys electronics for around 1600$

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Geared Hub posted:

My buddy who does max/maya plugin development work just picked one up for his home 3d machine:

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/pdet.to?poid=2000040278

I think I'll end up picking one similar to it, I've seen a version of it at frys electronics for around 1600$

Thank you. Those look like the specs I want.

Toshiba's are pretty nice. I like Asus and MSI as well, and I have a Fry's near by. I know they have doorbuster sales occasionally too.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

DiHK posted:

Rest easy Sigma, you didn't hurt my feelings. It's the idea that I can't/shouldn't be snarky in return that I "got defensive" about, and that wasn't even you. I like the blunt criticism (or is it sharp?). It's a hell of a lot more useful than the lip service I've been getting for the past 3 years.

I will try even harder then to be an rear end in a top hat next time :)

I have a strong distaste for art schools because I feel a lot of them (particularly games programs staffed by people who can't make it into the games industry/dropped out of the games industry because they couldn't hack a technology change) tend to string along students by convincing them that they aren't utter poo poo, when they're being taught out of date methods (seriously, no school should be accepting work without loving specular maps - even modern 'hand painted' stylings like Darksiders/Project Copernicus use normal and specular maps) and held to standards that fell out of style before the students were old enough to pop an awkward teenage boner.

If it's any consolation I spent about 6 months after I graduated (with a business degree...I was self taught principally through the harsh critiques of Polycount.com) crunching on a portfolio before I was able to get a job, and I'm sure that if you spend the next 6 months really cranking on a portfolio you'll have enough work to build a new one from the ground up.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Sigma-X posted:

I was self taught principally through the harsh critiques of Polycount.com

Which no longer exist for the most part, everybody's a big carebear now and all the people who give good harsh critiques don't even bother with Polycount anymore it seems. I blame it on the influx of gentle babies who wanna make DOTA items and TF2 hats, and also the fact that it seems like some companies actually go through a person's posts on it these days.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh poo poo, time to change my forums name and/or fake my own death.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Geared Hub posted:

Meanwhile things aren't looking as hot in India as it used to be:

http://vfxsoldier.wordpress.com/2013/05/20/animation-fraud-in-india/#more-3505

Not news really. Just look at the amount of really crap job applications from people out the Indian schools. Many of the reels are astonishingly bad, yet they're carefully compiled with walk-thru's of the various elements...and frankly, the situation isn't much better here in the '1st' world. Most colleges will have a '3D <something> course', which is a complete waste of money and time.

rayk
May 19, 2009

pirate cat │・ □ ・│ノ
Wondering if someone can help me out, I'm trying to dig up a neat painted foliage tutorial I saw a while a back.

Basically it was about making nice volumetric looking leaf clumps using sphere primitives with texture and normal flipping/other tricks.

EDIT: Found it! http://simonschreibt.blogspot.com.au/2013/02/airborn-trees.html

rayk fucked around with this message at 11:47 on May 22, 2013

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Odddzy posted:

I am looking for a big repository of Vray materials to learn how to make my own and learn a bit more of the ropes on the renderer. Can I get some links to good websites you guys use?

Edit : I'm looking to go into more hi-end renderings and try practicing stuff that's out of the games industry as a backup plan.

I use http://vraymaterials.de/ when I'm in a hurry and tweak to taste.

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

I'm gay for Christopher Meloni

ceebee posted:

Which no longer exist for the most part, everybody's a big carebear now and all the people who give good harsh critiques don't even bother with Polycount anymore it seems. I blame it on the influx of gentle babies who wanna make DOTA items and TF2 hats, and also the fact that it seems like some companies actually go through a person's posts on it these days.

I noticed this too, and it's pretty lovely. I used to see so many amazing posters posting really valuable page long critiques, but it seems like some people couldn't handle the criticism and turned all the good posters off. Pretty annoying since I just started posting regularly there last year, and my work doesn't get anything other than "pretty cool work!" and "which renderer??" and that's it. ZBrushcentral is more or less the same way now, nobody comments anything other than praise, and nobody learns from it.

Anyway, outside of work I've been doing some freelance stuff on the side. I've started a project making miniatures for a risk-esque board game I was commissioned for. Here is the start to one of the characters, a Griffon type thing.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Are there any CG forums out there that give really good critiques? I'm gonna be in an animation program next year and while I'm hoping the critiques I get there will be helpful, I want to get my work critiqued online at the same time so I'm sure I'm actually improving.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I havent been active on Zbrushcentral in ages, simply because I like trying to figure out how to achieve stuff after seeing someone else's work and dont feel like contributing another 'amazing!' one liner. After a certain point, working stuff out for yourself isnt that hard.

And usually there's not much to say about the eleven millionth zbrush alien head bust.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 23, 2013

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
As an example I lived myself:

I still remember a really nice critique Hinshu did on a sci-fi interior I did that wasn't really good some years back. It was packed with great info on where I went wrong, what looks right and examples of areas that could be made better. I even got a kickass paintover that really made me not only understand where I had to tighten stuff but gave me the feeling that making the render gain a new level of quality could be achievable. Not a single swearword was included with the critique and I felt like a champ for the stuff I actually DID do right. I wanted to get back to it after reading his comments and THAT is what people want to feel when they get critique.

I'll go briefly into this since it's been a few days and wanted to add my grain of salt on proper criticism etiquette. I'm taking Sigma's answers as an example. I've been on both ends of the critique spectrum and I hope you won't take it personally if I took your critique as an example since this thread is on the subject.

For me, comments that are concrete or objectively true or based on sound advice are fine.

Good examples of answers or questions are:

Sigma-X posted:

watch your scales, the door to dumpster to crate+bottle ratios seem all out of wack, plus that huge purposeless pipe is huge.

You have a concept, not reference. It is bad to work from a single concept in the best of cases, but it is really bad to work from a bad concept (and that is a bad concept compositionally, in execution, and in about a million details. Your instructor is not a professional illustrator for a reason, sorry dude). If you work to a bad concept and nail it perfectly, you still have bad art because it has a bad foundation.

If you wanted to keep that concept as a target because you really really like it (or have to because your professor is forcing you to use it), then you really, really, really need to get excellent reference. This means a lot of google, and sometimes books or live photo reference. For example, you should have had folders of research for every object, material, etc, in that scene. A typical concept for a game (where my experience is) will have potentially dozens of curated, focused reference photos for a shot like that.

Having photo reference will allow you to take this terrible concept and hopefully re-skin/adjust the space to make it believable. Since the scale is all the gently caress out of wack everywhere, you could have brought that back into alignment if you had photo reference and were workign towards making a realistic environment.

You could do worse things than take a break, take two other projects, and then tackle this again with a specific goal/target in mind and do the process justice - I think that would really help you learn from it, personally, as you'd see what a difference each misstep costs.

These are examples of what should be written to help the guy learn from his mistakes without making him want to stop practicing. It has nothing to do with hand-holding or baby cuddling, it's honest without being needlessly violent in our critique.

Unfortunately, sometimes valid critique such as this :

quote:

How did you graduate without learning about specular or normal maps?

Please learn to light.

Good enough to graduate is not good enough to get a job, and please understand that this is not portfolio-worthy, which means everything else you put in your portfolio needs to be demonstrably better than this.

Is covered with a somewhat patronising tone that actually detracts from the points that are being made. Instead, it makes the reader focus on a feeling of inadequacy.

I won't copy-paste the swears but I think it often goes without saying that they aren't of any use when used to give critique.

I'll end my sperging with this though:

quote:

I'm sorry I hurt your precious baby feelings by not being tactful when I post late at night when you ask for people to rip into things. Next time someone asks me to rip into things I will be sure to check my art privilege.

To provide more information (still avoid tact because it's midnight, I'm lazy, etc) on process and your failures/areas for improvement in the future.

That's all a bit more direct and harsh than it should be but you wanted us to rip into it so I'm not being very tactful. Continuing the not very tactful bit

''Baby feelings'', Really?

Giving the guy an excuse to keep on the harsh tone because ''it's late''?

This isn't professional. If I was giving critique at an IGDA to students and telling them they suck hard rear end and should suck my cock in exchange for the hard-hitting critique i'm giving I wouldn't expect a thank-you after the event.

The guy just posted his BA final project and was looking for some encouragement, he KNOWS it's not good enough for a pro (hence the reason why he is asking for critique) but this is clearly just taking his cake and pissing on it.

Saying ''Hey, I finished this, can you guys rip into it and tell me what you think'' is a bit like saying ''tonight I want you to gently caress my brains out''. Meaning it's not something that is necessarily asked literally and should instead be somewhat nice but useful.

Correct nuance and good tone always help to make the message pass better. :)

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 23, 2013

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

SVU Fan posted:

I noticed this too, and it's pretty lovely. I used to see so many amazing posters posting really valuable page long critiques, but it seems like some people couldn't handle the criticism and turned all the good posters off. Pretty annoying since I just started posting regularly there last year, and my work doesn't get anything other than "pretty cool work!" and "which renderer??" and that's it. ZBrushcentral is more or less the same way now, nobody comments anything other than praise, and nobody learns from it.

Anyway, outside of work I've been doing some freelance stuff on the side. I've started a project making miniatures for a risk-esque board game I was commissioned for. Here is the start to one of the characters, a Griffon type thing.

I love this so far! The front legs aren't sitting right for me though. I think they need to be more dramatic, or well less straight anyway. Even if they're supporting weight. Actually I'd make all the legs a bit more dramatic, put him in a pose where he's about to pounce or something? I'd also make the shoulders a bit more cat-like and large as he looks a bit too slim right now. Amazing start though.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Odddzy posted:

This isn't professional. If I was giving critique at an IGDA to students and telling them they suck hard rear end and should suck my cock in exchange for the hard-hitting critique i'm giving I wouldn't expect a thank-you after the event.

I don't think I was asking him to suck my cock and thank me for it, although in hindsight I'm adding that to the next critique I give. I agree with everything you say about managing tone to make sure that critical feedback is constructive, and communal/collaborative rather than confrontational if you want to help someone improve.

However, you're assuming I'm treating the somethingawful 3d thread as a professional venue aimed at community learning, meanwhile I'm sporting a stoned mspaint Knuckles the Echidna avatar and mostly post bad advice to people with worse judgment in E/N. So while I don't want him to bleed out in the street clutching a 3ds Max manual, I'm not taking this as a serious art forum for hard hitting critiques.

And given the circumstances, I'd rather be a huge dick about it than softball that poo poo. He's also had years of softballing it and with some people, particularly those stuck in those environments, a dose of shock therapy can be useful to re-zero their own personal evaluations. Because I'm not entirely heartless (but I'm working to fix that) I did toss some more nuanced feedback in there, but I don't think extremely direct and negative feedback is bad as a data point. Otherwise he's going to someday spend a lot of money on flying out to some conference only to learn that boy, he really is not up to professional caliber in the worst kind of way (been there...)

Also, to be pedantic, I'm not telling him that he sucks hard rear end, I'm telling him his output sucks rear end, and while I understand as an artist they can feel the same, they're not, and I'm sure he's a wonderful guy who would be fun to have a beer with. Hell, I'm sure someday he may even learn how to make lights cast shadows.

:xd:

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

I'm gay for Christopher Meloni

concerned mom posted:

I love this so far! The front legs aren't sitting right for me though. I think they need to be more dramatic, or well less straight anyway. Even if they're supporting weight. Actually I'd make all the legs a bit more dramatic, put him in a pose where he's about to pounce or something? I'd also make the shoulders a bit more cat-like and large as he looks a bit too slim right now. Amazing start though.

Thanks man! I appreciate it. You're definitely right about the pose. That is just a WIP to get an approval on the design, so I'll probably be giving it a more dramatic pose a little later. I also have to take into consideration how much of that you will actually notice come final print (since the figure is only going to be around 40mm). That's a pretty new limitation to me, so it's fun trying to take that into account, and needing to figure out which details to exaggerate even further.

Also, this is such a lame discussion. Who cares whether he said what he said in a patronizing tone or not? Be thankful you had someone take the time to write you up critiques in the first place, as nobody is entitled to receive that. It's an amazing thing that we have communities where some of the best artists in the world (Rick Baker posting on ZBC, what?) in our respective fields take time out of their day to write words about whatever boring project you're doing. Take the useful points in the message, disregard any "patronizing tone", and be on your way to decide whether you want to apply those critiques or not. What is difficult about this? I would almost prefer having outwardly negative feedback these days, because getting canned one word praise has gotten so tiring, and really wont help you in any aspect.

SVU Fan fucked around with this message at 11:12 on May 23, 2013

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Thanks for the anwer Sigma, I might have gone overboard with the hard rear end sucking but it was only to illustrate the point. The general points that you made are fine :)

SVU Fan posted:

Also, this is such a lame discussion. Who cares whether he said what he said in a patronizing tone or not? Be thankful you had someone take the time to write you up critiques in the first place, as nobody is entitled to receive that. It's an amazing thing that we have communities where some of the best artists in the world (Rick Baker posting on ZBC, what?) in our respective fields take time out of their day to write words about whatever boring project you're doing. Take the useful points in the message, disregard any "patronizing tone", and be on your way to decide whether you want to apply those critiques or not. What is difficult about this? I would almost prefer having outwardly negative feedback these days, because getting canned one word praise has gotten so tiring, and really wont help you in any aspect.

Canned one word praise is not critique. I did a whole paragaph explaining what good critique is and you seem to disregard it.

Considering a ''Wow! fantastico!'' on ZBC as critique is like eating a Bigmac and calling it gourmet food. There is no question or debate about it.

I mean drat, in the same message you were answering to nice and useful critique that was given to you with no swears and objectively true remarks on how to make your stuff get better. There was even some nice compliments thrown, would you dare say you didn't feel nice reading that? It was basically the perfect example of what I took half an hour yesterday to write about.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
This industry you take the rough with the smooth and you have to grow a thick skin. You will get many, many people telling you stuff looks wrong but they don't know why, they do know why, it looks crap, it looks wrong etc. They will be nice, they will be rude. You get it all. The best thing to do is suck it up, have a moan to yourself by the kettle and then make the changes.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Hello, CG people. I've got a problem.

I've made a highpoly model, in Blender, and then a lowpoly one to fit. Blender crashed while I tried to render the highpoly one, but I hoped it would do better with baking the normals. It doesn't, and still crashes. I guess I'll try to bug and sneak up to (possibly) more powerful computers of friends and relatives, but just in case, do you think it would be ethical to ask strangers on the Internet to bake the normals for me?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Going in the other direction a little bit, I've been working in a different country for the last 5 weeks with an office we partnered with - a couple guys here went through architecture school being told everything they ever did was perfect and before the merger ran a company that won awards, never being given any critique at all. Now when they have one week to finish an image instead of 4 and someone in the NY office opens the psd to change some colors slightly or improve it they get massively pissed off/offended and think it's an outrage that their work is being needlessly shat on. Because obviously, it couldn't be any better.
Trying to help them out has been difficult - as an example some foreground detail was lacking in one image (it was a one hour, basic thing that didn't fit the location), so I modeled a new one and despite asking them to merge it in a couple of times they kept sending tests off without it in - and I could tell it really hurt them to have to do it. This wasn't even a critique either, it was an addition they hadn't done themselves yet.

I think having a broken ego and some level of self doubt is important in this industry, and it's best to get needlessly harsh critique early so you can find the balance in your professional life later.

e: taking a break for a week from the personal project, but here's a quick update. Feels good to actually be getting work done. Poly count is getting absurd and i've not even started on the landscaping yet...
I have a list as long as my arm of things I plan to change on it, it's very much a wip and the angle isn't anything i'll be using.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 23, 2013

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002

supermikhail posted:

Hello, CG people. I've got a problem.

I've made a highpoly model, in Blender, and then a lowpoly one to fit. Blender crashed while I tried to render the highpoly one, but I hoped it would do better with baking the normals. It doesn't, and still crashes. I guess I'll try to bug and sneak up to (possibly) more powerful computers of friends and relatives, but just in case, do you think it would be ethical to ask strangers on the Internet to bake the normals for me?
Before you go that route, I would give XNormal a shot. I'm not sure of the nature of the crash you're running into, but I've always found XNormal to scale well, specifically because it loads its data without a viewport, which is what causes a great deal of baking manipulation on slower computers. Give that a try, and if not, I'm sure we can help you troubleshoot some more. It may be more of a configuration problem than a power problem.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

International Log posted:

Buying a house, so naturally I modeled it and stuck some lighting in:

This is how i'll move into it, the handrailing is the only coloured thing in the entire house. :geno:
Probably could use some colours.

What kind of light setup do you do for this kind of environment? I tried a few things but most kill render times and often turn out somewhat wonky with super blasted spots.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Fluent in five foreign tongues!
Grimey Drawer

Odddzy posted:

What kind of light setup do you do for this kind of environment? I tried a few things but most kill render times and often turn out somewhat wonky with super blasted spots.

It's not just a light setup, it's a combination of things: your colour mapping, physcam settings, materials, direct and indirect lighting all contribute and need to be balanced.

Here I used a Vraydomelight with an HDRI in the texture slot as GI, a toned down Vraysun as main light, Reinhard colour mapping with burn set to 0,5-ish to get the brights down, Brute force as primary bounce and lightcache as secondary. Then play with the camera settings (f-number, shutter speed, ISO) until only your windows are just about blown out-ish, then postprocess in Photoshop to pull the stuff together. Rendering to 16bit TIFF gives you more room in the levels to mess around with.

Make sure you also tweak the brightness of your materials, since the brighter they are, the more light they bounce around. There's also the gamma thing, but my knowledge in that is too limited to explain it without sounding like an incoherent drunkard. So just make sure that's set to 2.2 and you're golden. :pseudo:

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."

Hazed_blue posted:

Before you go that route, I would give XNormal a shot. I'm not sure of the nature of the crash you're running into, but I've always found XNormal to scale well, specifically because it loads its data without a viewport, which is what causes a great deal of baking manipulation on slower computers. Give that a try, and if not, I'm sure we can help you troubleshoot some more. It may be more of a configuration problem than a power problem.

Oh shoot. Yesterday the downloads page was down (or glitched on me), and today I find out it's only for Windows, while I am a Linux hippie. Er... Well, if it comes to that, nothing prevents me from playing around with the lowpoly model for now, until I save up for a modern computer. :rolleyes:

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

concerned mom posted:

This industry you take the rough with the smooth and you have to grow a thick skin. You will get many, many people telling you stuff looks wrong but they don't know why, they do know why, it looks crap, it looks wrong etc. They will be nice, they will be rude. You get it all. The best thing to do is suck it up, have a moan to yourself by the kettle and then make the changes.

Clients are the best, they'll look at a shot and their comment would be bullshit like "Make it more mysterious". One place I worked at put the end to the client "he said/she said" notes nonsense by video recording all dailies/notes sessions with the director and VFX supervisor. The artists can get the notes directly from the horses mouth.l

Had another client [big shot director] who freaked out during a dailies session complained that our stuff looked too much like "pixar" [on a live action film :haw:] and threw his highball glass across the dailies theater and started smashing things.

Good times.

On the other hand I've worked with some clients were like "yeah the grading is wrong here but since its in its own layer, we'll call it done and I'll fix it in luster, don't worry about it". That's the rare client/studio side guy who still works behind box any chance he can get.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 24, 2013

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I think a lot of people here are throwing the validity of this thread under the bus to make a point. In all honesty, for me, this thread is the best place to get feedback, response, and critique on the entire internet.

Other communities feel too wishy-washy. I like that I'm able to get a response and still engage that person in the thread (good or bad) a few pages later on something else. No one makes a one-line post ("lol awesome work") and then disappears without any follow-up.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

I'm trying to planar UV this thing, so I've been slicing it into chunks, projecting a UV, sorting it out, then recombining it onto the main map...
It's worked out so far except just now when I got the tail.

Alright so as you can see, the tail is still a separate object because I've just sorted out its UVs and got it positioned where I want it on the sheet.
I go to Mesh/Combine...

... And Maya hocks a big giant loogie on all the work I've done, spitting out these garbage data UVs.

I've tried going round to all the individual bits and deleting their UVs if there's any 'garbage data' there, then deleted history. It doesn't matter what I do, every time I combine the tail onto the main sheet, the nice UVs I made get replaced with this wonky garbage.

What do I need to do to make this combine properly?

Thanks thread for answering my questions whilst I learn.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

International Log posted:

It's not just a light setup, it's a combination of things: your colour mapping, physcam settings, materials, direct and indirect lighting all contribute and need to be balanced.

Here I used a Vraydomelight with an HDRI in the texture slot as GI, a toned down Vraysun as main light, Reinhard colour mapping with burn set to 0,5-ish to get the brights down, Brute force as primary bounce and lightcache as secondary. Then play with the camera settings (f-number, shutter speed, ISO) until only your windows are just about blown out-ish, then postprocess in Photoshop to pull the stuff together. Rendering to 16bit TIFF gives you more room in the levels to mess around with.

Make sure you also tweak the brightness of your materials, since the brighter they are, the more light they bounce around. There's also the gamma thing, but my knowledge in that is too limited to explain it without sounding like an incoherent drunkard. So just make sure that's set to 2.2 and you're golden. :pseudo:

Thanks for the great info!

I've been playing around with what Cubicle Gangster and you wrote and did this chair in a few hours today (not pictured: the four or five other ''tests'' i've done over the week).

I'm currently at the knowledge limit of what I learned V-ray material and lighting wise. I'm going to look a bit on the net on how to make the base of the chair not look as if it's made out of such cheap plastic and make it in a classier material and also make the cushions kinda wooly. The floor color is not final either

The color balance is a bit whacked in spots with some greens appearing some places. Also the render is a bit noisy. Could I have the opinion of people that really know how to properly balance colors to make an image ''work''?

Also, is there a quick and realtively automated way to do a very quick render that only outputs selection masks on a mesh or multiple meshes without having to plug them all one by one inside the material editor?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

I've a question about UV maps on 3ds: Is there anything I can do to the unwrap UV modifier that will allow me to keep my UV map AND edit my geometry? (3ds is new to me).

:suspense:

DiHK fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 25, 2013

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Yeah just either keep it in the stack, go under it, select 'hold yes' and pray for the best (60% of the time it works all the time) or just collapse it all down, edit the mesh then re-apply. It should basically retain uv info unless you do something pretty drastic.

Edit: uglynoodles if you want send an obj or fbx or 3ds max file and i'll show you how I'd unwrap it. Mattisaac@gmail.com

concerned mom fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 25, 2013

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Thank you -- I use Maya, not 3DS Max, so I'm guessing the techniques are a bit different. I have nothing but the most rudimentary knowledge of 3DSM.
I'll pop you a Dropbox link. The OBJ is around 90MB because it contains my original Zbrush guide model in a LOD group which is some millions of polys. :)

I did manage to sort the problem with the tail UVs. Apparently there were two UV sets for the tail -- junk data, and the 'proper' one. I somehow managed to replace the junk data with the new set and it combined fine.

However, I still would like to know how you'd unwrap this or if you'd change anything. Thanks for your assistance. :)

edit: It's actually 335MB :gonk:

uglynoodles fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 25, 2013

Canned Bovines
Jan 15, 2008

I haven't done anything for months and need to get back into doing art stuff instead of putzing around with python. Any thoughts on if my old project is salvageable? The entire thing is just boring to look at and I'm worried that anything I do at this point is going to be polishing a turd. If I do continue the textures/UVs would need to be redone from scratch because they're complete poo poo. I don't like the design of the skirts, helmet, and shoulders in particular but have next to no ideas on how to improve them. I'd probably redo the outer skirt to be much longer on the left side. That and a sword belt might solve my symmetry problems, but I doubt that will be enough to make the design interesting.

Model viewer/Turntable

I tried making a chain mail texture by modeling a swatch of it and rendering out the normals, which looks okay in Maya's viewport but turns into a muddled and confusing mess when rendered. Any suggestions on making it less terrible?

I'm not too concerned with the rendering/lighting right now. If I do continue with this I'm planning to throw it into XNA and force myself to learn HLSL.

Also, any suggestions on how to go about sculpting/texturing the metal to have more wear and tear? I know I need to add scratches where everything rubs together, but creating the photoshop brush to do so eludes me and I'm clueless on the sculpting part.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Welp, former employer called me up and asked me about availability and trying to slot me in for 1 of 3 jobs. If things work out next week I may be heading to San Francisco in a month. Was prepared to sit back and do nothing for a few months.

Breaking the lease will suck rear end, 1.5 months of rent down the pooper to break it. Hopefully relocation will offset that a bit. If the gig is what I think it is I'll be dancing a happy jig.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 25, 2013

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

uglynoodles posted:

Thank you -- I use Maya, not 3DS Max, so I'm guessing the techniques are a bit different. I have nothing but the most rudimentary knowledge of 3DSM.
I'll pop you a Dropbox link. The OBJ is around 90MB because it contains my original Zbrush guide model in a LOD group which is some millions of polys. :)

I did manage to sort the problem with the tail UVs. Apparently there were two UV sets for the tail -- junk data, and the 'proper' one. I somehow managed to replace the junk data with the new set and it combined fine.

However, I still would like to know how you'd unwrap this or if you'd change anything. Thanks for your assistance. :)

edit: It's actually 335MB :gonk:

Cool no probs ill try to get to it Monday. Just save selected out the low so it's a smaller size. I don't need the lods or high.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Companies hiring for the push of the holiday season makes me super nervous. At least in Games. I've seen some weird poo poo go on and some false promises made to some of my friends only for them to be let down after a couple months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

I've begun laying down some colours here.
I'm of course still working on the diffuse, there's no specmap yet and there's a lot of colour seams I'm sorting out still.

I don't know if I posted this before, but this is the finished render of the first model I made that I was working on earlier in this thread, the dino is my second. :)