Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Clip Death
Feb 4, 2010

A hero in the anals of Trivia.

These threads will be the end of me :argh:

After buying some pens of my own during the last thread, I decided I needed one more for a travel diary I'm going to keep (while sipping wine on a restaurant patio, watching the sunset, as a fountain pen user should). I figured I don't want to risk losing any of the pens I have, since they're either my grandpa's or somewhat expensive.

My choice was the Pilot Metropolitan, as it's pretty affordable and reportedly a very good pen - it looks nice and classy as well. Can't wait to try it out! Goulet Pens seemed pretty well-regarded by people in this thread, so I ordered the pen and some cartridges from there. Thank god I didn't splurge on those magnificent Iroshizuku inks...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Speaking of which, I just got a Metropolitan from the Goulets!

This thing is amazingly smooth. It blows my old Vista completely away and it even gives the 540 some competition. This should definitely be the starter pen, especially since you get a cartridge and a converter with it all for under :20bux:! I'll give a more thorough review once I've had a week to try it out at work.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

cobalt impurity posted:

Speaking of which, I just got a Metropolitan from the Goulets!

This thing is amazingly smooth. It blows my old Vista completely away and it even gives the 540 some competition. This should definitely be the starter pen, especially since you get a cartridge and a converter with it all for under :20bux:! I'll give a more thorough review once I've had a week to try it out at work.

Seriously, those Metros are loving amazing. I have two that I told my wife I bought "for work". Also, given the price and they fact they come in a decent box, they'd make great gifts - kind of like handing out free crack or something.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

So I've been using Rhodia dot pads for a week now and I have to say that they truly do own as much as people say. I need to figure out a solution for storing notes, though, once they're ripped from the holder. I'm thinking of a two-hole punch with rings for school flash cards. Anybody have any other ideas?

Also been writing in a 50/50 ratio of Tsuki-yo to Shin-ryoku. It goes on blue and dries blue-green. It's pretty hypnotizing to watch. :coal:

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
You tear pages out of your Rhodia?
I'm cringing.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

RustedChrome posted:

You tear pages out of your Rhodia?
I'm cringing.

It's one of those tablets that you have to tear out of if you want to use more than a few pages

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'm using the 5x8 pads for school and general notes. It's a waste to not use the back, which have no bleedthrough even with my wettest pens. :)

They're the perfect size for flash notes. Everything else I use HP #32 dot paper cut into halves.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Solkanar512 posted:

Seriously, those Metros are loving amazing. I have two that I told my wife I bought "for work". Also, given the price and they fact they come in a decent box, they'd make great gifts - kind of like handing out free crack or something.

Have you noticed that they seem to dry out faster than other pens? The one I has problems starting up again if I don't use it for more than a couple hours (capped). I've never had this problem with anything else except my VP which I think probably has nib problems since it doesn't like to lay down ink in certain directions.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

gwrtheyrn posted:

Have you noticed that they seem to dry out faster than other pens? The one I has problems starting up again if I don't use it for more than a couple hours (capped). I've never had this problem with anything else except my VP which I think probably has nib problems since it doesn't like to lay down ink in certain directions.

Whoa, I have never, ever had this problem. DO they normally have ink flow issues, even after they start writing? What kind of inks do you use? Have you ever removed the nib and feed for a deep cleaning?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Solkanar512 posted:

Whoa, I have never, ever had this problem. DO they normally have ink flow issues, even after they start writing? What kind of inks do you use? Have you ever removed the nib and feed for a deep cleaning?

Once it gets started it write with no problems until I put it away again. I'm using #41 brown, and I haven't really done any cleaning aside from the initial flushing and flushing between different inks.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

So my TWSBI Vac700 should be showing up in a day or two. Is there any particular way I should flush it before using it?

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Synastren posted:

So my TWSBI Vac700 should be showing up in a day or two. Is there any particular way I should flush it before using it?

Generally it's a good idea just to clean out any dust or machine oil that might be in the parts. It certainly wouldn't hurt and just delays inking it up by a minute or so.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

cobalt impurity posted:

Generally it's a good idea just to clean out any dust or machine oil that might be in the parts. It certainly wouldn't hurt and just delays inking it up by a minute or so.

I was more curious as to the "how" to flush that particular type of pen. I've got a Lamy around here somewhere, so that was pretty straightforward. The Vac has a different filling mechanism than anything I'm used to, so it's not like I can use the plunger to pull in and eject water. :ohdear:

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
I just got--on the advice of a good friend, and knower in these matters--a bottle of Private Reserve Dakota Red. But it seems rather watery. I've got a rather fine nib; could that be part of the issue?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

gwrtheyrn posted:

Once it gets started it write with no problems until I put it away again. I'm using #41 brown, and I haven't really done any cleaning aside from the initial flushing and flushing between different inks.

Mine was a bit of a hard starter, but I sold it to a friend shortly after I got it. I was using Parker's blue-black in it.

Beforehand,I used Jb's pen cleaner on it. It only skipped on the first stroke though. Otherwise it was a solid pen for the three days I had one.

I should buy another.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Synastren posted:

I was more curious as to the "how" to flush that particular type of pen. I've got a Lamy around here somewhere, so that was pretty straightforward. The Vac has a different filling mechanism than anything I'm used to, so it's not like I can use the plunger to pull in and eject water. :ohdear:

Yes you can, it's just that the plunger works in the opposite direction you think it should.

saphron
Apr 28, 2009

gwrtheyrn posted:

I've actually had this problem too and have been wondering whether my Metropolitan was a lemon. It's fussier about inks than I would have liked -- I tested it out twice with Terre de Feu, but it skips here and there. Even Noodler's Black takes a few scratches to start up (which was not the case with the Safari), but once it does it writes like a charm. It's still a great deal of a pen, of course...but this thread has me looking at the 580 now. This poo poo is a goddamn rabbit hole.

That said, I'm currently on the hunt for purple/violet/indigo inks that aren't fussy. So far I've liked testing out La Reine Mauve, but it's too high maintenance for regular use, unfortunately. Anyone have suggestions of inks to try? Legibility is a must, and it'd be nice if it worked on cheap paper as well as higher quality paper, but other than that anything goes.

Kill Dozed
Feb 13, 2008
Does anyone have any recommendations for inks that write well on cheap paper? I do most of my writing in the margins of paperback books, so the paper quality is left to the whims of the publishing company. Right now I am using Diamine China Blue which works well on certain papers, but bleeds through on others. Should I try a lighter color? Would that make the bleed through less noticeable?

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Kill Dozed posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for inks that write well on cheap paper? I do most of my writing in the margins of paperback books, so the paper quality is left to the whims of the publishing company. Right now I am using Diamine China Blue which works well on certain papers, but bleeds through on others. Should I try a lighter color? Would that make the bleed through less noticeable?

The guy who makes Scribal Work Shop inks says his #1 purposes is no feathering on even the worst paper. The inks are very dry and kind of chalky, but I have the dark blue and the light blue, and both are great re feathering/bleeding.

They are also some of the cheapest inks in terms of $/ml.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

saphron posted:

I've actually had this problem too and have been wondering whether my Metropolitan was a lemon. It's fussier about inks than I would have liked -- I tested it out twice with Terre de Feu, but it skips here and there. Even Noodler's Black takes a few scratches to start up (which was not the case with the Safari), but once it does it writes like a charm. It's still a great deal of a pen, of course...but this thread has me looking at the 580 now. This poo poo is a goddamn rabbit hole.

That said, I'm currently on the hunt for purple/violet/indigo inks that aren't fussy. So far I've liked testing out La Reine Mauve, but it's too high maintenance for regular use, unfortunately. Anyone have suggestions of inks to try? Legibility is a must, and it'd be nice if it worked on cheap paper as well as higher quality paper, but other than that anything goes.

The most purple ink I've used is Iroshizoku Murasaki-Shikibu. It's almost the purply colour you see when you look at one of those UV lights. Very well behaved, and shades nicely. Expensive though.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Kill Dozed posted:

Do you want an ink that is quick-drying as well?

Well, regardless of that, you should try Noodler's Lexington Gray. It seems to dry very quickly and without excessive feathering on cheap trade paperback pages.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Goulet Pens apparently partnered with Monteverde to design this pen: http://www.gouletpens.com/Monteverde_Invincia_Deluxe_Nighthawk_p/mv41350.htm

:drat:

And another all-black pen coming soon will be the 2013 edition of the Al-Star, to match the all-black Safari: http://www.gouletpens.com/Lamy_Al_Star_Black_Fountain_Pen_p/lmy-l071.htm

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
I use Sailor nano pigment inks in their EF nib for things that won't bleed through (stupid Moleskine notebook). It does have a little bit of show on the opposite page, but about the same as a Pilot G-2 0.38mm.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

404notfound posted:

Goulet Pens apparently partnered with Monteverde to design this pen: http://www.gouletpens.com/Monteverde_Invincia_Deluxe_Nighthawk_p/mv41350.htm

Oh wow that's sexy. I love the colour of Ruthenium plating. Not a fan of the matte black clip though, can't help think it'd look better in silver, but then I guess it wouldn't be a 'stealth' pen.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

404notfound posted:

:drat:
I have this pen, but not the stealth version, mine is called "Black Tie". It's pretty heavy but a very good writer. Actually scratch that, I have a normal Invincia, not the Deluxe. Not sure what the difference is, but if the regular one writes well, then I would expect the deluxe to be as good if not better. Looks like it uses Titanium instead of Iridium in the nib, but otherwise I guess the difference is styling.

Vitamins posted:

Oh wow that's sexy. I love the colour of Ruthenium plating. Not a fan of the matte black clip though, can't help think it'd look better in silver, but then I guess it wouldn't be a 'stealth' pen.

They have a Black Chrome version you might like better, and also a non-stealth one with chrome accents.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

saphron posted:

What do you mean by "too high maintenance?"

Also I suspect you want something brighter, but I've had no trouble with Poussière de Lune. It's a rather grey lavender, but it is exceptionally well-behaved. It's also a bit dry, like most of J. Herbin's inks, in my experience. They all play pretty well with cheap copy paper, as well as fancier notepads.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I bought a thing:

This thing is really, really loud. That's kinda what I wanted, since my other pens are all in very understated/muted colors, so it's a nice contrast, but I can definitely a lot of people hating this year's Safari color.

The bright color really stands out against the standard black bits of trim, so I got a black nib to go with it, but I'm slightly disappointed that the clip is also the standard steel and not black like the charcoal Safari.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

404notfound posted:

I bought a thing:

This thing is really, really loud. That's kinda what I wanted, since my other pens are all in very understated/muted colors, so it's a nice contrast, but I can definitely a lot of people hating this year's Safari color.

The bright color really stands out against the standard black bits of trim, so I got a black nib to go with it, but I'm slightly disappointed that the clip is also the standard steel and not black like the charcoal Safari.
That's exactly what I was hoping for out of this years, I ordered mine yesterday. I was a little disappointed in last years, I wanted it to be brighter.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Aw, one of my cats batted my baoer 388 from the table it was resting on, and the plastic thing inside the cap cracked. It now needs way less strength to get opened/closed. I hope that's the only bad effect it gets and it does not let the ink dry.

I already ordered another one of the same model as a gift for my dad but god drat, I liked it! It was the nicest looking one I have (and less than 10bux)

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Got my Vac 700 and ink bottle today. It came with an extra EF nib taped to the side of the pen's box for some reason...so my plan to get the nib ground down to some weird oblique thing seems to be nigh fool-proof now.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

saphron posted:

Noodler's North African Violet is loving violet and I mean loving violet.

Beautiful, strong color, but it stains like a motherfucker.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Brightman posted:

Got my Vac 700 and ink bottle today. It came with an extra EF nib taped to the side of the pen's box for some reason...so my plan to get the nib ground down to some weird oblique thing seems to be nigh fool-proof now.

Uh, that extra nib is most likely the new nib that Vac 700s now come with. Try both nibs first and see if there's a difference.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!
Yeah, the one on the pen is the Bock nib, which they changed around the beginning of the year as those tended to be quite dry. The one on the box is a Jowo nib, that they've been issuing since.
If you plan to mess with one, definitely play with the one that came on the pen.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Solkanar512 posted:

Uh, that extra nib is most likely the new nib that Vac 700s now come with. Try both nibs first and see if there's a difference.

SnakesRevenge posted:

Yeah, the one on the pen is the Bock nib, which they changed around the beginning of the year as those tended to be quite dry. The one on the box is a Jowo nib, that they've been issuing since.
If you plan to mess with one, definitely play with the one that came on the pen.
Hmm, the one in the pen seems to be pretty drat smooth as it is, but okay, I'll keep that in mind.

Edit: Would I be able to switch nibs on this with it inked up, or would it being a vac make that a terrible idea?

Brightman fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 24, 2013

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Brightman posted:

Hmm, the one in the pen seems to be pretty drat smooth as it is, but okay, I'll keep that in mind.
Now I'M intrigued, the Bock that came on my 540 is incredibly smooth and compares quite favorably with much more expensive pens.

Are the new nibs coming on ALL of their pens or just the vacs?

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!
^ Just the Vacs

Brightman posted:

Edit: Would I be able to switch nibs on this with it inked up, or would it being a vac make that a terrible idea?

Should be able to swap them no problem. In fact, with the blind cap screwed in all the way, the ink reservoir is blocked off completely (which is good to know before the feed dries out and you wonder why your pen has stopped working.)

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

SnakesRevenge posted:

Should be able to swap them no problem. In fact, with the blind cap screwed in all the way, the ink reservoir is blocked off completely (which is good to know before the feed dries out and you wonder why your pen has stopped working.)
Yeah I'm still not sure about that, like I'm not sure if I'm unscrewing it enough or what. It'll just dry up entirely if it's left closed though? Guess I could just write a bunch and then switch the nibs then no problem. Although I had tried to unscrew the grip when I first got it to get a better look at the nib that's in there (thought the feeds might've been different) but it didn't seem to wanna budge.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Brightman posted:

Yeah I'm still not sure about that, like I'm not sure if I'm unscrewing it enough or what. It'll just dry up entirely if it's left closed though? Guess I could just write a bunch and then switch the nibs then no problem. Although I had tried to unscrew the grip when I first got it to get a better look at the nib that's in there (thought the feeds might've been different) but it didn't seem to wanna budge.

It's a tough one to remove, I had to wrap paper towel around the nib to remove it for cleaning. I will say that my nib was especially dray, and I had to do a good bit of bending to get it to write properly. It's still a bit on the dry side to be honest, but I might just break down and buy a new nib for it the next time I buy ink.

saphron
Apr 28, 2009

Vitamins posted:

The most purple ink I've used is Iroshizoku Murasaki-Shikibu. It's almost the purply colour you see when you look at one of those UV lights. Very well behaved, and shades nicely. Expensive though.

Will have to look into it, thanks!

Obligatory Toast posted:

Noodler's North African Violet is loving violet and I mean loving violet.

Beautiful, strong color, but it stains like a motherfucker.

I'm actually trying out that right now, and I love how vibrant it is. Should I expect my sink to stain purple when I clean the pen? D:

Zenostein posted:

What do you mean by "too high maintenance?"

La Reine Mauve likes to crust up the pen even if it hasn't been used for only a day; I usually needed to fiddle with the nib to clear it before the usual scribble to start writing. And it was drying up on my pen really, really fast -- pause for a minute to think and I'd be scribbling again. That said, I just looked up Poussiere de Lune, and while it's not as vibrant as I usually like, it looks like a beautiful color and dark enough to write with every day, and ...guess that'll have to go on the sample list now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
I've been dying to get my hands on some Noodler's Rachmaninoff. I love the vibrant pink and I really need inks that are at least water-resistant because of the humidity where I live. Since it doesn't seem to exist anymore, so far as I can find, has anyone come across a pink ink that can withstand some moisture in the air?