Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
parara
Apr 9, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

Quattro's name is right, like right there. I have no idea how you can fail at reading so hard.

Yeah, but that's Quattro, a really nice and cool guy. He can't be Char.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Once I was at a con and met someone cosplaying as Quattro and she told me how sad she was that people kept thinking she was Char. It'd be really nice if people stopped mistaking the two just because of some superficial similarities.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012

TTBF posted:

Once I was at a con and met someone cosplaying as Quattro and she told me how sad she was that people kept thinking she was Char. It'd be really nice if people stopped mistaking the two just because of some superficial similarities.

I can't believe nobody asked her to make a speech about the independence for spacenoids and to escape gravity's cruel hold.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Quattro isn't the real Char, he's A Char. Don't you remember Kai's note?

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
RE: silly gundam names, me and a friend are currently watching destiny HD because we hate ourselves, and every episode we try to come up with funnier ways to say Ray's name. Starting from the fairly obvious transliteration of "Ray The Barrel" we've had a few good ones including Rayza Valleru and Rei-Sabele Roo.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

jackhunter64 posted:

Quattro isn't the real Char, he's A Char. Don't you remember Kai's note?

The amount of char clones in gundam series retroactively makes that note make a lot more sense.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Gundam just isn't Gundam without funny names. I'm long past the point of frustration with them.

Except for Chibodee Crockett. It just feels like it's so obviously meant to be Jiminy Crockett, since of course there's nothing more American than Disney and Davey Crockett (other than boxing, surfing, and football).

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
I still dont know how to spell Moo La Foie Gras.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

bubblegumbo0 posted:

I still dont know how to spell Moo La Foie Gras.

I don't either, but I at least know how to pronounce it because Rau Le Creuset seemed incapable of not saying the whole thing. Of course, that's not a bad thing.

Well Manicured Man posted:

Gundam just isn't Gundam without funny names. I'm long past the point of frustration with them.

Funny names, and everyone sceaming them at the top of their lungs.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Well Manicured Man posted:

Except for Chibodee Crockett. It just feels like it's so obviously meant to be Jiminy Crockett, since of course there's nothing more American than Disney and Davey Crockett (other than boxing, surfing, and football).

You forgot cowboys. Chibodee's Gundam had two revolvers.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I know people who outright refuse to watch 00 because they can't take how ridiculous the names are, usually citing Lockon Stratos and Allelujah/Hallelujah Haptism as examples. I just tell them they aren't even getting into the really stupid stuff like Regene Regetta and Revive Revival. Bring Stabity just transcends stupidity and becomes amazing.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Lockon had an excuse in that his stupid name was a fake codename with their real names being Neil and Lyle Dylandy, respectively. I'm almost 100% positive that Bring Stabity was meant to be Bring Stability and Hilling Care was meant to be Healing Care, too.

00 is really weird because it's like half perfectly reasonable names(Graham Aker, the Dylandys, Wang Liu Mei, Christina Sierra) and half complete batshit insanity like the Innovators and Mister Bushido.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
But isn't Mr. Bushido just a nickname? Although I can't explain the rationale behind the Innovator names

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Kanos posted:

Lockon had an excuse in that his stupid name was a fake codename with their real names being Neil and Lyle Dylandy, respectively. I'm almost 100% positive that Bring Stabity was meant to be Bring Stability and Hilling Care was meant to be Healing Care, too.

00 is really weird because it's like half perfectly reasonable names(Graham Aker, the Dylandys, Wang Liu Mei, Christina Sierra) and half complete batshit insanity like the Innovators and Mister Bushido.

I am so glad they don't have someone who actually knows the English language proofreading those names

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I love how everyone on the military just says "Mister Bushido" with a straight face.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Kuroyama posted:

But isn't Mr. Bushido just a nickname? Although I can't explain the rationale behind the Innovator names

Mr. Bushido was the name and identity Graham assumed totally after he got his face hosed up, contracted GN Cancer, and went totally insane after the end of season 1. Most of the military didn't know his real name at all so you have ridiculous nonsense like high-level military commanders saying "AH, MR. BUSHIDO, YOU HAVE A LICENSE, DON'T YOU?" with completely straight faces.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Having a sniper named "lockon stratos" is the best thing, no matter what anyone says. :colbert:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

fivegears4reverse posted:

Gundam in general has some of the best/worst/most ridiculous names in anime pretty much ever.

SOUTH BURNING
FOUR MURASAME
QUATTRO BAJEENA
MILLIARDO PEACECRAFT
ALLELUJAH HAPTISM
MISTER BUSHIDO (for loving REAL)
RAU LE CREUSET
FLAY ALLSTER
MIRIALLIA :haw:
NATARLE Badgersomethingeruururlrurlurllll

If a Gundam character was announced with the name Lump Beefbroth, I'd believe it.
I'm still waiting for the day we get Blast Hardcheese as a Gundam character.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Kanos posted:

"AH, MR. BUSHIDO, YOU HAVE A LICENSE, DON'T YOU?"

The license to be a minor antagonist and completely ignore your military protocol was my absolute favourite thing about season 2. Its such a blatant way to anime the gently caress out of your ostensibly real world military setting and I love it. I hope Mr. Bushido's just has like "MR BUSHIDO REAL IDENTITY UNKNOWN - RIVAL PILOT FOR PROTAGONIST" and then one of those little circular stat charts with the dodecagon in the middle.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Red Bones posted:

The license to be a minor antagonist and completely ignore your military protocol was my absolute favourite thing about season 2. Its such a blatant way to anime the gently caress out of your ostensibly real world military setting and I love it. I hope Mr. Bushido's just has like "MR BUSHIDO REAL IDENTITY UNKNOWN - RIVAL PILOT FOR PROTAGONIST" and then one of those little circular stat charts with the dodecagon in the middle.

STATS:
Piloting Skill: 9.5
Insanity: 10
Anachronistic Speech Patterns: 8
Patience: 0
Fashion Sense: 3

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Kanos posted:

STATS:
Anachronistic Speech Patterns: 8

Wait. Did he revert to talking like a loving Samurai in Japanese? Because that would be Gundam as gently caress.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
I just remember him yelling "SHONEN!" at Setsuna a lot.

Also, Setsuna's stats:

Gundam: 10
GunDAM: 10
GUNdam: 10
GUNDAM: 10
VEDA: 0

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sonata Mused posted:

I just remember him yelling "SHONEN!" at Setsuna a lot.

Also, Setsuna's stats:

Gundam: 10
GunDAM: 10
GUNdam: 10
GUNDAM: 10
VEDA: 0

You have to give the guy some points for fashion sense. His look in season 1 was pretty stylish, and the season 2 uniforms were pretty good, too. He also gets points for killing girlfriends and stealing girlfriends, though not as many as Kira.

Weird as it is to say it, Setsuna is probably my favorite Gundam protagonist, though a lot of that is more because 00 season 1 was really good and he gets points by association, and also because there was a lot of potential (sadly not really delivered on) in the character. I really like that he was from the middle east rather than an equivalent of the US, Japan, or a European nation. He also seemed like a decent job of doing a character who is relatively silent, but not emotionless. Bear in mind it has been a long time since I watched 00 and I have some extremely thick rose-colored glasses on here.

vvvv I don't know if you could really count her as a main character, since she's sort of in between the crew and the pilots in importance, but Sumeragi is pretty likeable and has nice hair. Allelujah always sucks, though. God I could not stand him. Either version of him.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 23, 2013

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I like that almost all the main characters of 00 started out as unlikable assholes and became likable over the course of the first series. Lockon was the only one of the main 4 that was easy going and sociable from the start, while the supposed antagonists were mostly just decent folk - Ali aside.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

tsob posted:

I like that almost all the main characters of 00 started out as unlikable assholes and became likable over the course of the first series. Lockon was the only one of the main 4 that was easy going and sociable from the start, while the supposed antagonists were mostly just decent folk - Ali aside.

I'm finishing up season 1 right now and I keep thinking that Graham would fit right into an American action movie. A quirky ace pilot seeking revenge against the OVERPOWERED TERRORISTS THREATENING WORLD STABILITY who brutally cut down one of his wingmen? Somebody get Hollywood on the phone!

Let me be clear--I mean that as a compliment. Sunrise has this perspective flip going on in Season 1 and I think it's worked out pretty well. I like Setsuna's characterization as well. For once the stoic, "cool" character is silent because he's genuinely traumatized and can't really sort through the mental issues that cause him to gently caress up so much, much less articulate them.

From what I've seen you folks discuss in the thread, 00 is probably going to crash and burn in the second season, but I've liked the first so much that I'm glad I decided to watch it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Season 2, supposedly, is a case where they just really shouldn't have listened to the fans.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

muike posted:

Season 2, supposedly, is a case where they just really shouldn't have listened to the fans.

The Japanese fans were complaining about the first season not being "Gundam enough" for their tastes and, in a twisted way, got what they wanted during the second. It's really hard to argue about whether or not you can blame this for every other problem, but it certainly didn't help.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Viola the Mad posted:

I'm finishing up season 1 right now and I keep thinking that Graham would fit right into an American action movie. A quirky ace pilot seeking revenge against the OVERPOWERED TERRORISTS THREATENING WORLD STABILITY who brutally cut down one of his wingmen? Somebody get Hollywood on the phone!

Let me be clear--I mean that as a compliment. Sunrise has this perspective flip going on in Season 1 and I think it's worked out pretty well. I like Setsuna's characterization as well. For once the stoic, "cool" character is silent because he's genuinely traumatized and can't really sort through the mental issues that cause him to gently caress up so much, much less articulate them.

From what I've seen you folks discuss in the thread, 00 is probably going to crash and burn in the second season, but I've liked the first so much that I'm glad I decided to watch it.

Yeah, Season 2 hews much more closely to the a traditional Zeta-y mould than Season 1. I still enjoy it, mind, it just clearly doesn't bring anything to the table that hadn't really been done better in UC.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

I only take special jobs, if you know what I mean.

wielder posted:

The Japanese fans were complaining about the first season not being "Gundam enough" for their tastes and, in a twisted way, got what they wanted during the second. It's really hard to argue about whether or not you can blame this for every other problem, but it certainly didn't help.

I dunno, I thought the general goal of having to unite before entering the next step of human advancement was pretty Gundam. It dealt with a lot of the things Gundam covers, it just didn't use a crap load of recycled tropes doing it.

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 23, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

During the break between seasons the writers' souls were pulled down by the weight of UC's gravity :v:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

muike posted:

So is SEED Destiny. But for a whole different set of reasons.

Also, one of the things that turned me off of 00 S2 was the character designs. Characters didn't all wear fancy uniforms and had unique characteristics in season 1. People actually stood out for more than just their personalities; Setsuna was the kid with the scarf, etc. Then comes season 2 and suddenly everyone has to wear a uniform regardless of faction, leaving the only way to tell people apart is color-coordination. Blue is the leader, Purple is the androgynous smart guy, Green is laid-back sniper guy, and Orange is the guy who won't stop saying the same name over and over again and has no personality.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Viola the Mad posted:

I really enjoyed season two of 00, possibly nearly as much as I enjoyed season one, for very different reasons though. I enjoyed season one because it was interesting and a pretty unique take on Gundam, I enjoyed season two because it was just plain fun and wallowed in Gundam and it's own silliness in an entertaining way. There's some good set piece battles like Momento Mori, some cool new characters and lots of more funny than dramatic drama. I'm sad that it didn't follow though on season one's promise, but hey, what we got was worth a watch too.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

devilmaydry posted:

I dunno, I thought the general goal of having to unite before entering the next step of human advancement was pretty Gundam. It dealt with a lot of the things Gundam covers, it just didn't use a crap load of recycled tropes doing it.

I would agree with you, but it seems we can now say that what they wanted was something more like...Unicorn, of all things.

Which is wonderfully executed and all, but still a gigantic nostalgia-fest that doesn't stray too far from said conventions.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kuroyama posted:

They were Innovades, not true Innovators, and I think the not-quite-right names was supposed to reflect their distortion of Schenberg's plan.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

wielder posted:

I would agree with you, but it seems we can now say that what they wanted was something more like...Unicorn, of all things.

Which is wonderfully executed and all, but still a gigantic nostalgia-fest that doesn't stray too far from said conventions.

I think that both Unicorn and the first season of 00 are essentially doing the same thing but from two different perspectives.

Unicorn appeals to idealistic and humane sensibilities while 00 dealt with the more pragmatic. Unicorn is all about gambling on the future and believing in human possibility, and then 00 comes along and knows that human nature is screwed up and a common enemy is needed just so everyone works together if only to kill the bastards getting in everybody's way.

Unless you're referring to the second season, which is definitely just Gundam Unicorn with a lot of extra stuff and no real pathos to help carry it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eh, I think 00 suffered from Setsuna just basically not having a sensible path of development. The second season and all the Innovation and Raiser stuff basically divorced him from the rest of the plot. He barely interacted and they had to shove Saji into his backpack to give him someone to even slightly play off of and write his robot out of the scene any time drama was actually necessary because it could solve most problems.

There's no real focus to Setsuna, especially after the S1-S2 rewrite. If they'd had every planned from the start then maybe thee would be but as it stands it's not really shocking they take every chance they get to disable him, write him out of the scene, or otherwise shove him off camera. It's just that also continues the cycle of him feeling disconnected from everyone else. (And not in a good symbolic way.)

Admittedly the other pilots run into that too. Lord knows they had absolutely no idea what to do with Allelujah and would much rather have just been writing about Soma, and replacing Lockon Stratos with his identical twin brother Lockon Stratos felt more like a marketing move than anything that lead to plot.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 23, 2013

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Azran posted:

Wait. Did he revert to talking like a loving Samurai in Japanese? Because that would be Gundam as gently caress.

He did, actually.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

devilmaydry posted:

I think that both Unicorn and the first season of 00 are essentially doing the same thing but from two different perspectives.

Unicorn appeals to idealistic and humane sensibilities while 00 dealt with the more pragmatic. Unicorn is all about gambling on the future and believing in human possibility, and then 00 comes along and knows that human nature is screwed up and a common enemy is needed just so everyone works together if only to kill the bastards getting in everybody's way.

That's a fair point as far as their overlapping themes are concerned, I agree, but my particular argument is that the specific way Unicorn was constructed is pure classic Gundam (or an idealized/updated version of it) while 00 wasn't trying to stick quite that close to the formula to begin with.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Oh, okay, so the complaint was leveled more at how the story presented itself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Midjack posted:

They were Innovades, not true Innovators, and I think the not-quite-right names was supposed to reflect their distortion of Schenberg's plan.

This actually makes a disturbing amount of sense, because I can honestly see Alejandro Corner or Ribbons sitting around in a lab deleting random bits from Schenberg's plan just to be assholes.

• Locked thread