Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

BadAstronaut posted:

If you can handle the now ancient graphics and interface, the might and magic games 3, 4 and 5 as well as heroes thereof 3, 4 and 5 can suck away months of your life.

Seconding the Heroes of Might and Magic games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

de_dust posted:

I've recently been given the short stick and have to work graveyards until december, thankfully I get to bring my laptop. Do you guys have any suggestions for massive time sink games?

If you're into citybuilders, Pharaoh + Cleopatra is up there.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Holy poo poo, the current deal is really great! I bought that Battle Isle plat pack so hard. Not only for the TB goodness of the BI games, but because it includes Incubation. I played the hell out of that game back in the day. It's one of the toughest squad TB games I know of, but it's also great to set aliens on fire all day.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Man I hope Hammer of the Gods comes to GOG.com some time. It was made by New World Computing [the original (Heroes of) Might & Magic guys], and played like a cross between Civilization and HoMM, with an added layer of a performing quests for the Norse gods in a strategic fashion. Loved that game.

edit:

City sites were pre-selected, unlike Civ. Combat was HoMM-style. Completing quests would move you through a tree toward the ultimate goal. You were typically rewarded in some fashion, with fantastic troops, like elves or giants, or magic weapons, etc. There were four different paths to choose: Human, where the goal was to hoard most of the world's magic items; Elves, which I believe were supposed to be the most fertile and the goal was to hold 75% of the world population (and you were frequently rewarded with superior elven archers); Trolls, which I believe were supposed to hold 75% of the world's army (and the trolls you were rewarded with would regenerate 1 HP after every round of battle); and Dwarves, which I think were supposed to hoard the world's gold. It played out really interestingly. There were also neutral factions that would attack your stacks if you over-extended.

edit2: Oh, Hammer of the Gods was actually developed by Holistic Design and New World Computing only published it. Weird how similar it is to NWC games.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 21, 2013

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

de_dust posted:

I've recently been given the short stick and have to work graveyards until december, thankfully I get to bring my laptop. Do you guys have any suggestions for massive time sink games?

Alpha Centauri can probably last you into December alone.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Unepic is now available for $4.99 (normal price $9.99).

Anybody played this? Looks like a fun RPG platformer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVhgLJiBvOw

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

The MSJ posted:

:black101: YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS :black101:

This game owns owns owns, even though the initial story/schtick is groan-inducing. It's a really good Metroidvania that's big on exploration, reasonably deep, runs and plays smooth at 60 fps and looks great, sound is good, and the humor is in fact pretty decent(again, initial schtick is not an indicator of the rest of the game).

Unepic is a very good game, $5 is a very very good price.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
How much of a Metroidvania is it compared to the old school RPG stuff? I'm big on Metroid, not as big on sprawling crafting tables and stat blocks.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

John Murdoch posted:

How much of a Metroidvania is it compared to the old school RPG stuff? I'm big on Metroid, not as big on sprawling crafting tables and stat blocks.
The Metroidvania thing is about exploring different parts of the castle and filling in your map, and some parts won't be accessible until later. Certain portions of the castle have certain themes and enemies, a lot like Symphony of the Night. Combat is platformy action combat, like Castlevania, and you can use different weapons like axes and daggers and maces and such, and they'll be better for different situations due to their different speeds, base damage, and additional bonus for the class(i think daggers had backstab?).

The RPG part is pretty simple; you put points in different weapon or spell skills, and this increases their effectiveness and gives you the ability to use higher level weapons/spells. There's also a potions one for crafting and maybe one more, but it's mainly weapons/spells.

In general, I'd say the game has a decent amount of depth without getting complicated.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

The MSJ posted:

I check GOG every morning while reading e-mail as a matter of habit, and I am really tempted by this.

I would never have thought it possible before, but now that System Shock 2 has come back into the market I really want to see the Wizardry games make it onto GOG. There are collections of them for PC/Saturn/PS1 and so on, but I have had no luck finding PC versions and they stubbornly refuse to run on 64-bit OS's. Purists might debate, but I would rather play the remakes/compilations with the automaps and other modern conveniences than the original wireframe DOS versions.

A pipe dream perhaps, but I genuinely believe that anything is possible with SS2's re-emergence.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

JustJeff88 posted:

I check GOG every morning while reading e-mail as a matter of habit, and I am really tempted by this.

I would never have thought it possible before, but now that System Shock 2 has come back into the market I really want to see the Wizardry games make it onto GOG. There are collections of them for PC/Saturn/PS1 and so on, but I have had no luck finding PC versions and they stubbornly refuse to run on 64-bit OS's. Purists might debate, but I would rather play the remakes/compilations with the automaps and other modern conveniences than the original wireframe DOS versions.

A pipe dream perhaps, but I genuinely believe that anything is possible with SS2's re-emergence.

I don't know who owns Wizardry these days but I'm guessing it's someone in Japan because they keep making Wizardry games. Sure would be nice if they shared that love.

Sossyson
Apr 1, 2006

Wizardy 8 on GOG?

quote:

I noticed an advertisement in the margins of PC Gamer for Wizardry 8. However when I clicked on it, it took me to a non existent page on GOG. I've tried to duplicate the ad, but haven't been able to. Anyone else noticed this?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

The chick in that ad is the same one from the old Wizardry Gold boxset.

Possible collection on the way? :allears:

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

If we're talking the Japanese remakes, there's no reason to be purist about anything because they all allow for turning off the bells and whistles and seeing everything as pure wireframe with no automaps etc.

The effort to get those games on GOG would be herculean though. Even ignoring the rights and translation issues, it's hard to understate just how awfully Japanese PC games were programmed in general during the late 90s/early 00s. Take all the jankiness of Windows 95/98 era stuff and multiply it by 1000. Falcom is OK and Koei mostly figured it out around 2005 or so, but most of everything else is a colossal mess. I have most of the Japanese Wizardry games and with a few exceptions they fall squarely into the "colossal mess" category. It takes a ton of effort to get them playable in even Windows XP, let alone 7 or Vista.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Let's just say I have three walkthroughs up on the game I'm testing right now.

EBT
Oct 29, 2005

by Ralp

BadAstronaut posted:

If you can handle the now ancient graphics and interface, the might and magic games 3, 4 and 5 as well as heroes thereof 3, 4 and 5 can suck away months of your life.

Having never played a game like them in my youth (unless you count Phantasy Star 1), I snagged the M&M 6 pack and plowed through the first game in a few weeks and found it an incredibly satisfying experience to do to.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Genpei Turtle posted:

If we're talking the Japanese remakes, there's no reason to be purist about anything because they all allow for turning off the bells and whistles and seeing everything as pure wireframe with no automaps etc.

The effort to get those games on GOG would be herculean though. Even ignoring the rights and translation issues, it's hard to understate just how awfully Japanese PC games were programmed in general during the late 90s/early 00s. Take all the jankiness of Windows 95/98 era stuff and multiply it by 1000. Falcom is OK and Koei mostly figured it out around 2005 or so, but most of everything else is a colossal mess. I have most of the Japanese Wizardry games and with a few exceptions they fall squarely into the "colossal mess" category. It takes a ton of effort to get them playable in even Windows XP, let alone 7 or Vista.

I would like to preface my response by saying that I have disc copies of Wizardry Ultimate Archives and Wizardry 8 before anybody starts screaming about FILES! That said, I would still love to see them come to GOG.

Not to doubt your sincerity or veracity, but it is fairly trivial to run the first 7 (excepting 7 Gold, which I have had no luck with) in DosBox, which is a back end for a huge amount of current GOG titles. Also, I have had Wizardry 8 run in Windows 7 Ultimate with no outside help and nary a problem. The boffins at GOG are an impressive bunch - I am sure that they could make practically anything work.

If you are referring to the Japanese compilations and remakes specifically, they can be set to partial English in-game and there is a translation patch for the Wizardry I-III remakes available online for free (not sure about the latter compilation), but I have just had no luck finding the PC version of that compilation or the IV & V compilation anywhere even though the PSX and Saturn versions are fairly abundant.

I would also very much like to see Wizards & Warriors. Not the NES trilogy, but the PC RPG that came out in 2000. Getting that to run on a modern system is the digital equivalent of pushing Sisyphus's Rock up a hill using just your erect penis (~ish).

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
I picked up Unepic for the $5 release sale because a friend who is all about the Metroidvanias was raving about it and I keep being surprised at every turn. Your character handles surprisingly well for a indie platformer, all the weapon types have unique little shticks that make them all useful, the combat is way more about approaching your enemy the correct way than trading blows, and the main character is basically King Goon. I haven't run into the typical indie metroidvania failings like bullshit rooms and enemies that's impossible to glean how they expect you to kill them, either.

Why haven't I heard about this game before? With the exception of some bad jokes it's way better than I was expecting it to be. Did the dude who made it just do no advertising at all?

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
If they got Wiz 6-8 I would be instantly in the wallet for the credit card. As for the older ones, the first one is pretty cool, but the rest are a little bit too "masturbatory unfair challenges for people who think the others are too easy" for my taste. Reading the Wizardry 4 LP pretty much turned me off of any that came before 6, which I finished.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

Not to doubt your sincerity or veracity, but it is fairly trivial to run the first 7 (excepting 7 Gold, which I have had no luck with) in DosBox, which is a back end for a huge amount of current GOG titles. Also, I have had Wizardry 8 run in Windows 7 Ultimate with no outside help and nary a problem. The boffins at GOG are an impressive bunch - I am sure that they could make practically anything work.

If you are referring to the Japanese compilations and remakes specifically, they can be set to partial English in-game and there is a translation patch for the Wizardry I-III remakes available online for free (not sure about the latter compilation), but I have just had no luck finding the PC version of that compilation or the IV & V compilation anywhere even though the PSX and Saturn versions are fairly abundant.

Yeah--not sure why you'd think I was referring to anything but the Japanese Windows remakes; the originals don't have the same porting issues and the console remakes aren't germane to anything that would go on GOG. The later in the remakes you get the less English options there are too. I think Llylgamyn Saga and New Age of Llylgamyn (Wiz 1-3 and 4-5 remakes respectively) only offer item and monster names. The Wizardry 4 remake part of New Age has even less. Once you get into the Japanese-only Windows Wizardry games (Wizardry Gaiden, Wizardry Empire, etc) forget it. Also, the ones that have the best chance of going on GOG (the aforementioned Llylgamyn Saga and New Age of Llylgamyn) are also probably the worst-programmed of the lot. They're broken up into 6 or 7 .exe files apiece for different parts of the game, and they use bizarre DirectX hacks such that they won't function properly on any version of DirectX after 6 or 7.

Only Japanese Windows Wizardry game I know that's OK on later OS versions is Wizardry Empire 2. That's pretty solid even on Windows 7.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

synertia posted:

If they got Wiz 6-8 I would be instantly in the wallet for the credit card. As for the older ones, the first one is pretty cool, but the rest are a little bit too "masturbatory unfair challenges for people who think the others are too easy" for my taste. Reading the Wizardry 4 LP pretty much turned me off of any that came before 6, which I finished.

Wiz4 was the one that just made me shake my head as well. I am very glad that I read that LP, because it was fascinating, but I would never want to play that mountain of digital sadism. Great concept and it was clearly geared to a certain self-flagellating audience, but I would never even dare. I am following a hard-modded version of FF Tactics on this forum, and it is a good read, but I would never want to play it.

Genpei Turtle posted:

Yeah--not sure why you'd think I was referring to anything but the Japanese Windows remakes; the originals don't have the same porting issues and the console remakes aren't germane to anything that would go on GOG. The later in the remakes you get the less English options there are too. I think Llylgamyn Saga and New Age of Llylgamyn (Wiz 1-3 and 4-5 remakes respectively) only offer item and monster names. The Wizardry 4 remake part of New Age has even less. Once you get into the Japanese-only Windows Wizardry games (Wizardry Gaiden, Wizardry Empire, etc) forget it. Also, the ones that have the best chance of going on GOG (the aforementioned Llylgamyn Saga and New Age of Llylgamyn) are also probably the worst-programmed of the lot. They're broken up into 6 or 7 .exe files apiece for different parts of the game, and they use bizarre DirectX hacks such that they won't function properly on any version of DirectX after 6 or 7.

Only Japanese Windows Wizardry game I know that's OK on later OS versions is Wizardry Empire 2. That's pretty solid even on Windows 7.

Yes, in retrospect that was pretty stupid of me - sorry. However, there is a an all-English patch for Llylgamyn Saga for the PC, I just cannot find a copy of the game anywhere. The PSX/Saturn versions pop up in searches easily enough and apparently can be found on ROM sites fairly readily, but apart from a free demo (that will not run on a 64-bit OS), I have had no luck with the PC version of either compilation.

If GOG were to offer the series, I am sure that it would be the N/A versions, which is both understandable but also slightly disappointing.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

How is DriftMoon? I'm thinking about getting that or unepic, but I haven't heard anything about it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wiz4 is really the only bullshit game. It's the Tomb of Horrors of videogame dungeon crawlers.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

Wiz4 was the one that just made me shake my head as well. I am very glad that I read that LP, because it was fascinating, but I would never want to play that mountain of digital sadism. Great concept and it was clearly geared to a certain self-flagellating audience, but I would never even dare. I am following a hard-modded version of FF Tactics on this forum, and it is a good read, but I would never want to play it.

Yes, in retrospect that was pretty stupid of me - sorry. However, there is a an all-English patch for Llylgamyn Saga for the PC, I just cannot find a copy of the game anywhere. The PSX/Saturn versions pop up in searches easily enough and apparently can be found on ROM sites fairly readily, but apart from a free demo (that will not run on a 64-bit OS), I have had no luck with the PC version of either compilation.

If GOG were to offer the series, I am sure that it would be the N/A versions, which is both understandable but also slightly disappointing.

Oh wow, I didn't realize someone patched Llylgamyn Saga for PC. That takes some dedication given the jankiness of it. I don't think you're going to find it outside of Japanese :filez: nowadays TBH. I picked it up along with New Age of Llylgamyn when I was living in Japan so I lucked out on that note. It's a good game, but honestly at this point unless you've got a Japanese Windows 95/98 machine lying around there's not much point. With enough effort I got it working in XP but it has all sorts of terrible graphical artifacts and crashes constantly under Windows 7.

I would never re-play Wizardry 4 in its original form, but its New Age of Llylgamyn version is great. It's still hard as balls but it doesn't have the sheer frustration factor of the original since you can use an automap in most places. The PC version is definitely better but it suffers from the same problems as Llylgamyn Saga, so go for the PSX version if you can. You'll have to stick to Classic rather than Arrange mode if you want English text, but in some ways that's easier anyway.

al-azad posted:

Wiz4 is really the only bullshit game. It's the Tomb of Horrors of videogame dungeon crawlers.

Wiz4 is full of bullshit but I think its reputation is a little exaggerated. There is a sort of twisted logic to its puzzles, and dungeon-wise it's bad but I can think of worse (some of the Bard's Tale dungeons are on par with it, and Deathlord's dungeons are an order of magnitude worse)

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 22, 2013

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Quote is not edit, argh

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

The MSJ posted:

I bought this and played the first 15 minutes or so tonight. It's good old-fashioned Metroidvania so far, with the added bonus of having really nice animations and lighting, some nice tricks and traps at the beginning, and enough corny humor at the beginning to make me chuckle but not groan. Plus it's designed to be played purely with the keyboard (with an option for mouse move), which it does quite well. I'm sure that feature is a big plus for some people.

Did I screw the pooch by choosing Hard difficulty? It said "for veterans of Castlevania games" of which I've beaten several, but I seem a touch fragile at the start. That could be the obvious fact that I only just started playing though :v:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

C-Euro posted:

I bought this and played the first 15 minutes or so tonight. It's good old-fashioned Metroidvania so far, with the added bonus of having really nice animations and lighting, some nice tricks and traps at the beginning, and enough corny humor at the beginning to make me chuckle but not groan. Plus it's designed to be played purely with the keyboard (with an option for mouse move), which it does quite well. I'm sure that feature is a big plus for some people.

Did I screw the pooch by choosing Hard difficulty? It said "for veterans of Castlevania games" of which I've beaten several, but I seem a touch fragile at the start. That could be the obvious fact that I only just started playing though :v:
I don't remember what level I'm on right now, but I think I reduced the difficulty to normal myself as I was getting shitfucked. I'm still getting shitfucked in some areas.

Dec 26, 2012

Tyskil posted:

I picked up Unepic for the $5 release sale because a friend who is all about the Metroidvanias was raving about it and I keep being surprised at every turn. Your character handles surprisingly well for a indie platformer, all the weapon types have unique little shticks that make them all useful, the combat is way more about approaching your enemy the correct way than trading blows, and the main character is basically King Goon. I haven't run into the typical indie metroidvania failings like bullshit rooms and enemies that's impossible to glean how they expect you to kill them, either.

Why haven't I heard about this game before? With the exception of some bad jokes it's way better than I was expecting it to be. Did the dude who made it just do no advertising at all?

Lack of exposure, I assume. It's pretty fun for what it is.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I only wish that there was controller support, but it does handle fairly well as it was obviously designed for the keyboard.

Also, how do you save in Hard or above? Should I even start on Hard?

EDIT: Just saw the posts above me. Normal it is then.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

iastudent posted:

The chick in that ad is the same one from the old Wizardry Gold boxset.

Possible collection on the way? :allears:

Can... Can someone talk me through the outfit.

DrManiac posted:

How is DriftMoon? I'm thinking about getting that or unepic, but I haven't heard anything about it.

Driftmoon is absolutely delightful. Sort of stripped down Ultima 7 in style.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 23, 2013

al-azad
May 28, 2009

sebmojo posted:

Can... Can someone talk me through the outfit.

Looks like someone was a fan of Heavy Metal magazine and wanted to grab that crowd. I think it's weird she's flying on a CD.

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.
And today's releases are... Wizardry 6 + 7, and Wizardry 8!

What are the chances, eh?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

^ drat you and your swiftness!

New releases!

Wizardry 6 + 7 (1990) - $6

Wizardry 8 (2001) - $10

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

duckfarts posted:

Why Unepic is awesome.

Thanks for the recommendation! Having now played an hour or two, I definitely see the similarities to Symphony of the Night. It basically feels like SotN crossed with LaMulana/Maze of Galious (the latter of which is mentioned in the description for Hard mode, so fancy that) with maybe a slice of Diablo for good measure.

I can definitely see this devouring my free time for the next few weeks.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Wizardry Gold took since mid-March to complete testing. There are some pretty great fixes for Windows compatibility. I was playing on Windows 8 flawlessly.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

pinacotheca posted:

And today's releases are... Wizardry 6 + 7, and Wizardry 8!

What are the chances, eh?

Where should I start with these if I never played a Wizardry game before? The premise sounds cool, so I've been waiting for them to arrive at GoG.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Welp. Wizardry 8 won't even launch. This is on Win 8. The version I installed from the original disk .isos works though.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Crimson Harvest posted:

Welp. Wizardry 8 won't even launch. This is on Win 8. The version I installed from the original disk .isos works though.

Did you run the compatibility checker? Run as administrator?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

$10 seems a bit much for Wizardry 8 but I've always wanted to play it just because of how outlandish it looked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I'm a little tempted by Wizardry 8 as well. Is it still even the slightest bit playable, or is this one of those things where if you didn't play it at the time you won't be into it?